Total Posts:53|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"?

AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:23:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

'I don't know' is probably the most scientific answer you are going to get.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:50:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

Actually it is as simple as us not being able to see it. With our "physical eyes" that is. The "spiritual" world would just simply "coexist" with ours, ours being limited of course, we would actually be passing right through their realm or etenity literally until our "spirit" left our body. There could literally be Angelic or Demonic activity or any spiritual activity right in front of us and we would not be able to see it. However, that is with our physical eyes only, spiritual senses would be whole nother discussion.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:52:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

So yes, it could exist in reality and or our reality.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:54:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 3:50:32 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

Actually it is as simple as us not being able to see it. With our "physical eyes" that is. The "spiritual" world would just simply "coexist" with ours, ours being limited of course, we would actually be passing right through their realm or etenity literally until our "spirit" left our body. There could literally be Angelic or Demonic activity or any spiritual activity right in front of us and we would not be able to see it. However, that is with our physical eyes only, spiritual senses would be whole nother discussion.

*eternity*
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 3:56:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 3:50:32 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

Actually it is as simple as us not being able to see it. With our "physical eyes" that is. The "spiritual" world would just simply "coexist" with ours, ours being limited of course, we would actually be passing right through their realm or etenity literally until our "spirit" left our body. There could literally be Angelic or Demonic activity or any spiritual activity right in front of us and we would not be able to see it. However, that is with our physical eyes only, spiritual senses would be whole nother discussion.

Wtf is a spiritual sense? And on that matter, what is a spirit?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 4:10:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 3:23:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

'I don't know' is probably the most scientific answer you are going to get.

I guess it doesn't have to be a scientific answer. It could be another form of reason. I just always seem to hear "supernatural" and think of it meaning "not real". That's not quite the correct definition though.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 4:21:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 4:10:13 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 4/7/2013 3:23:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

'I don't know' is probably the most scientific answer you are going to get.

I guess it doesn't have to be a scientific answer. It could be another form of reason. I just always seem to hear "supernatural" and think of it meaning "not real". That's not quite the correct definition though.

Fair enough. My opinion is that there is no good reason to believe in the super natural.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 4:22:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 3:56:45 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/7/2013 3:50:32 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

Actually it is as simple as us not being able to see it. With our "physical eyes" that is. The "spiritual" world would just simply "coexist" with ours, ours being limited of course, we would actually be passing right through their realm or etenity literally until our "spirit" left our body. There could literally be Angelic or Demonic activity or any spiritual activity right in front of us and we would not be able to see it. However, that is with our physical eyes only, spiritual senses would be whole nother discussion.

Wtf is a spiritual sense? And on that matter, what is a spirit?

Lol another way of putting it would be spiritual discernment. Could be vision, could be hearing, could be feeling ect., but it is not the physical body that discerns it, it is our "spiritual" body and perception. If you get bored read Romans 8:5-11 and 1 Corinthians 2:12-14, John 3:3-8

A spirit is what is left standing when your flesh hits the dirt, some may call it the soul. Your spirit is what would exist in eternity it is your "body" or form rather than your physical flesh.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 4:36:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you want an idea of a vision, of course the Word is full of them, read Ezekiel to understand the connection of receiving from God by spirit or Revelations 1:10-17.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 4:41:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 4:22:35 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 4/7/2013 3:56:45 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/7/2013 3:50:32 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

Actually it is as simple as us not being able to see it. With our "physical eyes" that is. The "spiritual" world would just simply "coexist" with ours, ours being limited of course, we would actually be passing right through their realm or etenity literally until our "spirit" left our body. There could literally be Angelic or Demonic activity or any spiritual activity right in front of us and we would not be able to see it. However, that is with our physical eyes only, spiritual senses would be whole nother discussion.

Wtf is a spiritual sense? And on that matter, what is a spirit?

Lol another way of putting it would be spiritual discernment. Could be vision, could be hearing, could be feeling ect., but it is not the physical body that discerns it, it is our "spiritual" body and perception. If you get bored read Romans 8:5-11 and 1 Corinthians 2:12-14, John 3:3-8

A spirit is what is left standing when your flesh hits the dirt, some may call it the soul. Your spirit is what would exist in eternity it is your "body" or form rather than your physical flesh.

That's simply pushing the definition back........

What is left over after you die? What is a spirit? What is a soul?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Radar
Posts: 424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 4:56:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

LOL!! As defined? Sure.... consciousness.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 5:07:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 4:56:28 PM, Radar wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

LOL!! As defined? Sure.... consciousness.

Assertion.

There is no good reason to believe that consciousness is anything beyond an amalgamation of neurons. And there is good reason to believe it isn't.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 7:19:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
albino there are of course forces beyond nature
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Radar
Posts: 424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 8:52:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 5:07:20 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/7/2013 4:56:28 PM, Radar wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

LOL!! As defined? Sure.... consciousness.

Assertion.

There is no good reason to believe that consciousness is anything beyond an amalgamation of neurons. And there is good reason to believe it isn't.

No one really knows what consciousness is. There's just a bunch of interpretations and opinions. But whatever it is, it is not reducible to "an amalgamation of neurons" unless, of course, you want to make that tremendous leap of faith (and some do).
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 8:53:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 7:19:32 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
albino there are of course forces beyond nature

What do you define as "nature"?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
PureX
Posts: 1,522
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 3:09:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

I'm gonna say, "yes". And then define the "supernatural" world as being the idea of reality that we create in our minds via memory, logic, imagination, intuition, need, and desire, as we interact with actual reality. So that I'm proclaiming that the "supernatural" world is the one we carry around in our heads, while the "natural" world is the one that we are actually living in, and interacting with, but cannot fully grasp with our minds. Interestingly, we label these exactly contrary to what they are: labeling the real unknowns of the world we live in "supernatural", while we believe that our imaginary world is the "real" one.

No wonder we humans are all crazy.
Radar
Posts: 424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:03:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/8/2013 3:09:14 PM, PureX wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

I'm gonna say, "yes". And then define the "supernatural" world as being the idea of reality that we create in our minds via memory, logic, imagination, intuition, need, and desire, as we interact with actual reality. So that I'm proclaiming that the "supernatural" world is the one we carry around in our heads, while the "natural" world is the one that we are actually living in, and interacting with, but cannot fully grasp with our minds. Interestingly, we label these exactly contrary to what they are: labeling the real unknowns of the world we live in "supernatural", while we believe that our imaginary world is the "real" one.

No wonder we humans are all crazy.

Isn't that what I said but in fewer words?
PartTimePych
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 2:27:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Evidence. None that is scientific. All either anecdotal by personal experience, or by the "insights" of people who are gifted. The problem is that most anecdotes or claims are either from frauds or self-deluded people. I have had a lot of psychic experiences (although I am an engineer).

My opinion (and I am a part skeptic) is that the supernatural exists. Not one experience seemingly broke the laws of physics, but my experiences are not explainable by a material universe. I have experienced the "Metaphysical Creator" who "thought" the universe into being. Both physical and metaphysical.

The metaphysical includes God, spirits and souls. Souls are eternal (and reincarnate), spirits grow with life and disintegrate after body death. We have free will up to a point, and God will intervene subtly. Some examples: The power of prayer (a recent thing for me) has saved my life and stopped me going blind. I have had "knowings" about future events including death and market collapse.

I will accept that chance and coincidence (and hallucination) will explain anything, but I lean towards the supernatural.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:26:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If nature is contingent, then the supernatural is implied and no evidence is needed. Either the supernatural existed, or exists now if that's the case.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:40:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/7/2013 2:27:28 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"su"per"nat"u"ral
/G6;soV2;opərG2;naCH(ə)rəl/
Adjective
(of a manifestation or event) Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Is there any evidence for the "supernatural"? Can it even exist in reality, or would it be considered "natural" if it did? Is the "supernatural" "natural", except for the fact that we don't understand it? Or is it impossible to understand?

In general the only way to the term to be coherent is to take a bic pen and draw a boundary around phenoma you consider "natural." Anything outside that boundary is supernatural. Usually the bounds get drawn at something like "if I see ghosts, witches, or angels."

However, if you don't arbitrarily assign a boundary, then your intuition is correct that once the supernatural is empirically observable it no longer can be said to be "super" natural.

It's no mistake Einstein's specific term to describe the revolutionary aspects of Quantum Physics as "spooky."
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 3:45:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/10/2013 3:26:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If nature is contingent, then the supernatural is implied and no evidence is needed. Either the supernatural existed, or exists now if that's the case.

What is nature? Is it reality?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:06:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/10/2013 3:45:49 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 4/10/2013 3:26:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If nature is contingent, then the supernatural is implied and no evidence is needed. Either the supernatural existed, or exists now if that's the case.

What is nature? Is it reality?

Nature is that which adheres to the laws of physics, along with the laws of physics themselves.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:20:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you're talking about supernatural abilities, you don't have to look very hard.

The difference between supernatural and just regular old natural isn't some innate magic that a few lucky souls are imbibed with at birth, it's a matter of hard work -- but nobody's interested in that, so stuff like this gets ignored.

If you're talking about "ghosts" or things like that, then no, there's no evidence. I'm not going to say ghosts exist or anything like that, just keep in mind that the standard we use to determine if there is evidence for something is empirical. The thing is, the natural sciences can only detect natural things, so by definition anything there is evidence for must be natural.

It might just be the case that there are things in our reality that science can't detect. Or maybe not, I don't know.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:21:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
By definition there should not be.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:23:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/10/2013 4:06:03 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2013 3:45:49 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 4/10/2013 3:26:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If nature is contingent, then the supernatural is implied and no evidence is needed. Either the supernatural existed, or exists now if that's the case.

What is nature? Is it reality?

Nature is that which adheres to the laws of physics, along with the laws of physics themselves.

And if it is contingent then it can't have a "natural" cause?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 4:47:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/10/2013 4:23:18 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 4/10/2013 4:06:03 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2013 3:45:49 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 4/10/2013 3:26:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
If nature is contingent, then the supernatural is implied and no evidence is needed. Either the supernatural existed, or exists now if that's the case.

What is nature? Is it reality?

Nature is that which adheres to the laws of physics, along with the laws of physics themselves.

And if it is contingent then it can't have a "natural" cause?

How could nature, have a natural cause? Are you saying, that something can cause itself to exist?
PartTimePych
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 12:09:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/10/2013 4:20:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

If you're talking about supernatural abilities, you don't have to look very hard.
You are right. There are many people - and many who chose not to use their abilities because they are afraid of something they do not understand.

The difference between supernatural and just regular old natural isn't some innate magic that a few lucky souls are imbibed with at birth, it's a matter of hard work -- but nobody's interested in that, so stuff like this gets ignored.

I am not sure follow. Do you mean that people can access the supernatural using learned techniques? If so, yes, but up to a point.

If you're talking about "ghosts" or things like that, then no, there's no evidence. I'm not going to say ghosts exist or anything like that, just keep in mind that the standard we use to determine if there is evidence for something is empirical. The thing is, the natural sciences can only detect natural things, so by definition anything there is evidence for must be natural.

I came across a church in Canada that had some bushmen artefact's. The room had the spirits of some bushmen. About 5 people in church could "see" them at any time, and agreed on what they saw. After about 8 years the church had the room "cleansed" and they were gone. I could not see them, but I could "feel" the barrier which prevented them from going to other parts.

It might just be the case that there are things in our reality that science can't detect. Or maybe not, I don't know.

I lived in a house for 3 months. The first 7 weeks were unusual. Every day something went wrong. Electronics failed. Piping came loose. Insects became an absolute nuisance. A bat flew into my face at night. The final straw was a poisonous snake crawling under my feet at night. I found out more about the man who committed suicide on the property before I moved in. I "chatted" with his spirit. More like a conversation with myself in my head. I learned that the spirit wanted me to apologize to his friend who him found him in his car after a week in the hot sun. Once I did this, there was a noticeable change.

The soul was the "intelligence" behind the spirit. Once the purpose was done the soul discarded the spirit body, and the spirit body decayed to "spirit dust". The soul is shapeless and sexless, but needs the spirit body to affect the living body. I (my soul) was once able to spend a half hour with my late wife's soul in another universe shortly after she died.

My lesson? That spirits can have a slight effect on material things - break a small wire, affect insects reptiles and animals and so on. And they will only do so for a reason. Affecting a scientist's meter has no purpose and so measurements are not possible. Likewise, taking part in some scientific proof has no purpose for a spirit so they don't cooperate.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 4:27:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/11/2013 12:09:51 AM, PartTimePych wrote:
My lesson? That spirits can have a slight effect on material things - break a small wire, affect insects reptiles and animals and so on. And they will only do so for a reason.

Can you provide us with examples & substantiated evidence?

I seriously think your mind is leading you astray and your mind is projecting irrational thoughts!

At 4/11/2013 12:09:51 AM, PartTimePych wrote:
Affecting a scientist's meter has no purpose and so measurements are not possible. Likewise, taking part in some scientific proof has no purpose for a spirit so they don't cooperate.

And your evidence for this crap is likewise a constant zero!