Jump to topic:

Flat-Earthers?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:28:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm having a great time on the flat earth society forums debating these people, I'm wondering, are there any Christians on this site who believe the Earth is flat?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:29:00 PM
Ima head over there now for shits and giggles, whats your username.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:33:13 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:29:00 PM, muzebreak wrote:

RationalThinker. It's great fun :) These people honestly believe that there is no proof for a spherical Earth. I showed a NASA image, and the one poster replied with a picture of the Planet Tatooine from Star Wars like "Oooo, look, I guess this is proof of Tatooine!".....
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:39:47 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:33:13 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

RationalThinker. It's great fun :) These people honestly believe that there is no proof for a spherical Earth. I showed a NASA image, and the one poster replied with a picture of the Planet Tatooine from Star Wars like "Oooo, look, I guess this is proof of Tatooine!".....

What's their response to oceanic horizon? As in, how we can see ships apearing sails first, what with the curvature of the earth.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:46:03 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:39:47 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

What's their response to oceanic horizon? As in, how we can see ships apearing sails first, what with the curvature of the earth.

I haven't mentioned that. My strongest argument is that any flat Earth model is destined to fail, because wherever the hypothetical edge/ boundary is placed, flights cross all the time. It wouldn't matter where the boundary was placed in the model, I would be able to full up a flight path that crosses that location, and even a page where they can book the flight themselves. Since planes cross, all the time, over pretty much every area a Flat-Earther could place a boundary, this proves that any Flat Earth model cannot be reconciled with evidence and reason.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 4:59:45 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:46:03 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/8/2013 4:39:47 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I haven't mentioned that. My strongest argument is that any flat Earth model is destined to fail, because wherever the hypothetical edge/ boundary is placed, flights cross all the time. It wouldn't matter where the boundary was placed in the model, I would be able to full up a flight path that crosses that location, and even a page where they can book the flight themselves. Since planes cross, all the time, over pretty much every area a Flat-Earther could place a boundary, this proves that any Flat Earth model cannot be reconciled with evidence and reason.

Why not use the argument that they disagree with the entirety of science?

Ask them how they explain the gravitational effect that allows us to orbit the sun, with a flat earth model. And if they deny gravity, ask them to explain why light bends.

Ask them how we can preform mathematical calculations based on how long it takes a ship to disappear on the horizon, that match up everywhere on earth.

As Bill O'Reilly said "Tides comes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that.".

Ask them how the earth formed in a flat shape.

Ask them why every planet observed is round but ours is flat.

I'd ask them, but my account needs to be verified......
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Radar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:13:43 PM
At 4/8/2013 4:28:04 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I'm having a great time on the flat earth society forums debating these people, I'm wondering, are there any Christians on this site who believe the Earth is flat?

I don't know about Christians and Flat-earthers, but there certainly are a lot of atheist Flatlanders.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:22:43 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:13:43 PM, Radar wrote:

I don't know about Christians and Flat-earthers, but there certainly are a lot of atheist Flatlanders.

I have my doubts about this. Every flat-earther I have entcountered who made his views known to me, was a creationist. I have never encountered an Atheist who believed the world was not round.
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:23:39 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:22:43 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I have my doubts about this. Every flat-earther I have entcountered who made his views known to me, was a creationist. I have never encountered an Atheist who believed the world was not round.

I actually NEVER met ANYONE in real life who thought the earth was flat. Is this site for real or is it a parody/poe's law?
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:36:01 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:23:39 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

I actually NEVER met ANYONE in real life who thought the earth was flat. Is this site for real or is it a parody/poe's law?

No, it's for real. They believe the world is flat, and even came up with a theoretical model. They pull up pages of people claiming to have seen ice walls in Antartica (which they believe is the edge of the Earth), and they claim that nobody has traveled over Antartica entirely (I think I debunked that one). They believe images from space are faked for financial gain, and yada, yada, yada.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:54:19 PM
How coincidental. I joined it about a week ago to pretend to defend it.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:09:37 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:36:01 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
They pull up pages of people claiming to have seen ice walls in Antartica (which they believe is the edge of the Earth), and they claim that nobody has traveled over Antartica entirely (I think I debunked that one).

I believe I made the thread you're referring to (if it's the one entitled "Early accounts of a great Antarctic ice wall"). How coincidental this all is.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:10:59 PM

Isn't the whole point of Poe's law that you can't tell?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Radar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:11:15 PM

This is what I meant:
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:13:39 PM
At 4/8/2013 6:10:59 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Isn't the whole point of Poe's law that you can't tell?

A large proportion of think I read on the internet follow Poe's law.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:15:14 PM
I seriously wonder how many members of the flat earth society are genuine in their drivel, and how many of them are just there for the kicks.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:15:23 PM
I'm having a great time on the flat earth society forums debating these people, I'm wondering, are there any Christians on this site who believe the Earth is flat?:

There is plenty of things I believe you would chuckle and disagree with but a flat-earth is not one.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:15:16 PM
At 4/8/2013 6:09:37 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
They pull up pages of people claiming to have seen ice walls in Antartica (which they believe is the edge of the Earth), and they claim that nobody has traveled over Antartica entirely (I think I debunked that one).

I believe I made the thread you're referring to (if it's the one entitled "Early accounts of a great Antarctic ice wall"). How coincidental this all is.

HAHA That's hilarious. Now I'm wondering how many of these people are trolling.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:17:52 PM
At 4/8/2013 7:15:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Please don't ruin it for me, though. I'm trying to improve my debating skills.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:36:37 PM
At 4/8/2013 7:17:52 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

If you can prove the earth is hollow, you ought to be able to prove the earth is flat.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:40:51 PM
At 4/8/2013 7:36:37 PM, philochristos wrote:

If you can prove the earth is hollow, you ought to be able to prove the earth is flat.

It's actually quite a few degrees harder, since we've been 4% into the Earth, but we've gone hundreds of miles out.

But I'm still having fun.

Here's a few out-of-context quotes from early 20th century explorers...
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org...

And here's a really bad inductive argument from the utility of the Flat Earth model...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:41:53 PM
At 4/8/2013 7:40:51 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 4/8/2013 7:36:37 PM, philochristos wrote:

It's actually quite a few degrees harder, since we've been .2% into the Earth, but we've gone hundreds of miles out.

But I'm still having fun.

Here's a few out-of-context quotes from early 20th century explorers...

And here's a really bad inductive argument from the utility of the Flat Earth model...
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 7:58:12 PM
How do they explain the ability to fly around the world? Worm holes?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
rogerb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 9:04:05 PM
i' cant believe their serious. regardless if you look at the map they show a flight from australia to south america should take at least 3 times one from japan to la.
Granted its longer but its not even double. I suppose they'll argue planes fly faster in the southern hemisphere
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 10:00:54 AM
I actually argued there before I came here. When presented with irrefutable evidence, they just tend to abandon the thread. Their theories depend on sustained space flight being impossible, so ask them to explain what keeps the planets up, as well as satellites observable with a telescope. Also ask them how moons orbit other planets.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 11:33:17 AM
I argued with flat-earthers years ago. I used direct observation of the curvature of the earth. Looking across a large bay with a telescope, the appearance of objects cut off by the horizon allows the diameter of the earth to be calculated reasonably accurately.

Recently I saw someone claim that in ancient times people did not believe the earth was flat, but rather that it was dome-shaped. They could see curvature obscuring boats and such, and worked that into theory. Not that anything untrue ever appears on the web, but I looked for a historical account that supported the claim that the ancient belief was a dome-shaped rather than flat earth. I found nothing. Has anyone seen such a history?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 11:45:59 AM
At 4/9/2013 11:33:17 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I argued with flat-earthers years ago. I used direct observation of the curvature of the earth. Looking across a large bay with a telescope, the appearance of objects cut off by the horizon allows the diameter of the earth to be calculated reasonably accurately.

Recently I saw someone claim that in ancient times people did not believe the earth was flat, but rather that it was dome-shaped. They could see curvature obscuring boats and such, and worked that into theory. Not that anything untrue ever appears on the web, but I looked for a historical account that supported the claim that the ancient belief was a dome-shaped rather than flat earth. I found nothing. Has anyone seen such a history?

If they really wanted proof, then all they would need to do is take one friend for a trip. Head to the North Pole, and take a plane each going the opposite direction. If you meet up with your friend in Antartica, even though you guys went in opposite directions in starting in the North Pole, then they could prove themselves that the world is round.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 11:47:57 AM
"The Oceans are held back by a Giant Ice Wall"

Oh this is fantastic XD
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015