Jump to topic:

Any Religion That Predicts End Times

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 8:19:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Any religion that predicts the end of days has indoctrinated the perception that we will fail as humanity.

If half of our reality is perception and the other half is physicality, isn't it the end of times teachings that are setting humanity up for failure in the first place?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 8:26:31 PM
At 4/17/2013 8:19:08 PM, pozessed wrote:
Any religion that predicts the end of days has indoctrinated the perception that we will fail as humanity.

If half of our reality is perception and the other half is physicality, isn't it the end of times teachings that are setting humanity up for failure in the first place?

Ya, self fulfilling prophecies are a b*tch.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 8:49:50 PM

No, both religion AND science declares an end. It is not failure, it is inevitable.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 8:56:06 PM
At 4/17/2013 8:49:50 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

No, both religion AND science declares an end. It is not failure, it is inevitable.

It's different though, because the religious have a reason to fulfill this prophecy, because the end times means Christ returns and then we all go to heaven.

Science however, assumes this is the only life there is. Thus, we must preserve the world for as long as possible, because it's all we have.

It seems one view promotes the end of the world, and the other view simply makes people aware, so we can avoid it. I mean, why would a Christian want the end of the world not to happen? What Christian wouldn't want Jesus to return and go to the Kingdom of Heaven? This is why religious end times are dangerous, because there is actually a motive to reach that end. With science, we have a motive not to reach that end, to survive.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 8:58:42 PM

There is a huge difference in how science and religion clarify the world will end isn't there?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:05:19 PM
At 4/17/2013 8:56:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It's different though, because the religious have a reason to fulfill this prophecy, because the end times means Christ returns and then we all go to heaven.

Science however, assumes this is the only life there is. Thus, we must preserve the world for as long as possible, because it's all we have.

It seems one view promotes the end of the world, and the other view simply makes people aware, so we can avoid it. I mean, why would a Christian want the end of the world not to happen? What Christian wouldn't want Jesus to return and go to the Kingdom of Heaven? This is why religious end times are dangerous, because there is actually a motive to reach that end. With science, we have a motive not to reach that end, to survive.

No, why would I want the end of the world lol? To profit me? Nah, no thanks.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:07:41 PM
Christianity teaches that the coming of Christ will cause the world to end: that is, the world will be destroyed by heat - not vice versa. No Christian would have a belief that the world will end first, and this ending somehow precipitates Christ's return. That's not taught in the Bible. Neither is any speculative 1,000-year reign (the materialistic view) in which Christ returns with the ignoble goal of propping up on a literal throne over in Palestine (of all places) for a literal 1,000 years.

Neither science nor Christianity would have any goal other than to make this world the best place possible. The Christian's view is that the coming of Christ will precipitate the destruction of the world. I suppose science states that the earth will continue to exist until some catastrophe destroys it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:08:06 PM

Do you actually believe you can prevent that end?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:08:14 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:05:19 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

It would profit every Christian.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:09:01 PM

Well, to rephrase: It would profit every Christian, assuming Christianity is true.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:09:12 PM
"It's different though, because the religious have a reason to fulfill this prophecy, because the end times means Christ returns and then we all go to heaven." <-- Reversed. Christ returns, which triggers the end of the world.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:11:04 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:08:14 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

But it would not profit you, so what would I gain?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:11:05 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:08:06 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Do you actually believe you can prevent that end?

Not me, but us as a humanity could prevent it from happening sooner. However, it's eventually going to happen.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:11:49 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:11:04 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

I'm going to hell anyway if your religion is true, what does it matter to you?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:13:27 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:09:12 PM, annanicole wrote:
"It's different though, because the religious have a reason to fulfill this prophecy, because the end times means Christ returns and then we all go to heaven." <-- Reversed. Christ returns, which triggers the end of the world.

So if the world started to end, without a return from Christ, would that disprove the prophecy?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:13:37 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:11:49 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It matters greatly, and I do not settle for your conclusion.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:14:09 PM

Whether I go to hell or not is not relevant, the point is that you would get into heaven sooner. Bonus for you!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:14:45 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:13:37 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

So, you don't want to go to heaven sooner? Does this mean, Earth is greater than Heaven? If not, then why delay the inevitable?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:14:48 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:13:27 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/17/2013 9:09:12 PM, annanicole wrote:

So if the world started to end, without a return from Christ, would that disprove the prophecy?

I believe it would.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:15:51 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:14:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

So, you don't want to go to heaven sooner? Does this mean, Earth is greater than Heaven? If not, then why delay the inevitable?

Because I love you.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:19:34 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:15:51 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 4/17/2013 9:14:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Because I love you.

Are you suggesting, that the reason you wouldn't want the end of the world to happen, is because I would go to hell sooner?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:35:28 PM
"So if the world started to end, without a return from Christ, would that disprove the prophecy?"

If the world ended without a return from Christ, yes, that would disprove the prophecy. Very much so.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:37:35 PM
There is nothing that I know of that any Christian could or would do in order to hasten the return of Christ. That day is fixed in the mind of the Father, according to Jesus Christ Himself.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:40:38 PM

Yeah, the Seventh Day Adventists alone have brought about the end of humanity 26 times already...I hate it when that happens.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:42:39 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:37:35 PM, annanicole wrote:
There is nothing that I know of that any Christian could or would do in order to hasten the return of Christ. That day is fixed in the mind of the Father, according to Jesus Christ Himself.

Kind of my point. Some religions predict or assert an expiration date of some sort for humanity. That has become a big part of our cynical perception of reality. To disagree would be to imply that perception has little to no affect on reality.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:49:56 PM
"Kind of my point. Some religions predict or assert an expiration date of some sort for humanity."

Perhaps. I'm only familiar with Christianity, though. We do not engage in speculative nonsense along that line.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:55:04 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:49:56 PM, annanicole wrote:
"Kind of my point. Some religions predict or assert an expiration date of some sort for humanity."

Perhaps. I'm only familiar with Christianity, though. We do not engage in speculative nonsense along that line.

Why not? Religions speculate pretty much everything else.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 10:11:27 PM

Science however, assumes this is the only life there is.

No it doesn't. How in the world do you even think this is an assumption of science?

Thus, we must preserve the world for as long as possible, because it's all we have.

At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 10:11:44 PM
Because the Bible doesn't teach it.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 10:34:30 PM
At 4/17/2013 10:11:44 PM, annanicole wrote:
Because the Bible doesn't teach it.

What if we all willingly left this rock because we found life in space better (purely hypothetical)?
Have you ever thought about that?
If not wouldn't you agree that your religion limited your perception?
Do you think maybe other people, by the masses, may have a limited perception even if you don't?