Jump to topic:

To Atheists: would you believe if...

Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 5:05:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Because in this forum there seems to be more atheists concerned about religion than theists I want to ask these questions to them only:

would you believe if you see the signs predicted in Abraham religions of the coming of the end of times (our times) including:

The of anti-Christ.

The coming of Jesus.

the rising of the sun from the west.

and more others

Would those signs cause you to admit there is God and there is a judgement day and there is a Paradise and a Hellfire ?

Please invite maximum of atheists to participate so we all can have a closer idea

Thank you
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:04:41 AM
No.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:08:44 AM
Well, I can only speak for myself of course, but personally I would still struggle, even if much of the book of Revelation, which I assume is what you are referring to, was vindicated. Even if that were the case, one is still left with the problem of why the bible has such a remarkably poor track record when it comes to facts about the world, one is still left with the problem of why Genesis, assuming one interprets it literally, matches up so poorly against what we know about the world.

Given that the bible is supposed to be, to quote Kent Hovind, "the infallible, inerrant, inspired word of the living God", there shouldn't be a single mistake, it should match up perfectly with observed fact. It doesn't. Add that to the fact that there's no empirical evidence for the existence of ANY God, let alone the Christian one, and that many of attributes of the Christian God, omniscience, omnipotence, omnibenevolence etc. are self contradictory, in my estimation at least, and I am forced to answer that, no, the accuracy of Revelation just would not be enough to convince me.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:09:19 AM
I'll answer yours, if you answer mine.

How would I know that these signs are the actual things predicted in the bible, and not a coincidence or illusion?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:22:02 AM
And having answered your question, I too would like to propose one of my own. I am assuming that you are a Christian, and my question is, what would it take for you to leave your faith, what would it take for you come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:27:44 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:22:02 AM, boss1592 wrote:
And having answered your question, I too would like to propose one of my own. I am assuming that you are a Christian, and my question is, what would it take for you to leave your faith, what would it take for you come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist?

Not having a faith does not conclude God does not exist.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:28:42 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:27:44 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Did he say it did?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:29:41 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:08:44 AM, boss1592 wrote:
Well, I can only speak for myself of course, but personally I would still struggle, even if much of the book of Revelation, which I assume is what you are referring to, was vindicated. Even if that were the case, one is still left with the problem of why the bible has such a remarkably poor track record when it comes to facts about the world, one is still left with the problem of why Genesis, assuming one interprets it literally, matches up so poorly against what we know about the world.

Given that the bible is supposed to be, to quote Kent Hovind, "the infallible, inerrant, inspired word of the living God", there shouldn't be a single mistake, it should match up perfectly with observed fact. It doesn't. Add that to the fact that there's no empirical evidence for the existence of ANY God, let alone the Christian one, and that many of attributes of the Christian God, omniscience, omnipotence, omnibenevolence etc. are self contradictory, in my estimation at least, and I am forced to answer that, no, the accuracy of Revelation just would not be enough to convince me.

Empirical evidence of God, lol, what are you waiting for, a photograpgh?
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:30:45 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:29:41 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Yes.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:36:22 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:30:45 AM, FrackJack wrote:

Yes.

Ok, then that explains a lot.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:37:57 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:36:22 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Yes.

Any evidence that is not anecdotal.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:38:05 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:28:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Did he say it did?

I took it to mean that you have to abandon the Christian faith to come to realize there is no God, I could be wrong.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:40:09 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:38:05 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:28:42 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Did he say it did?

I took it to mean that you have to abandon the Christian faith to come to realize there is no God, I could be wrong.

One comes to the realization there is no God, which leads one to leave the Christian faith by default.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:40:40 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:37:57 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yes.

But first you should realize God is to humongous to be photographed, and also does not reside in the material universe and is not even material.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:41:24 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:40:40 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Yes.

But first you should realize God is to humongous to be photographed, and also does not reside in the material universe and is not even material.

Then how is he humongous?
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:45:28 AM

Yes.

So are you saying that not only is there no empirical evidence, but in fact there can't be any empirical evidence?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:54:09 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:45:28 AM, boss1592 wrote:

Yes.

So are you saying that not only is there no empirical evidence, but in fact there can't be any empirical evidence?

Yes. no DNA Sample exists, God is out of this world or universe even.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:55:12 AM
At 4/18/2013 11:41:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yes.

Because you are so small, in fact God can be infintisimal or humongous.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:03:38 PM
At 4/18/2013 5:05:30 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
would you believe if you see the signs predicted in Abraham religions of the coming of the end of times (our times) including:

Jesus was supposed return in his own generation. If he returned now, that would make the prediction false.

In any case, you can't have evidence of a contradiction. The Christian god is all-merciful but tortures people forever. He can do anything, but can't defeat iron chariots. He is one but three. Such a god cannot logically exist.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 3:51:18 PM
At 4/18/2013 3:15:54 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:04:41 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
No.

Really? Jesus coming wouldn't convince you lol

Lol
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 4:25:32 PM
At 4/18/2013 11:55:12 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Yes.

You said God wasn't even material, so I fail to understand how he is 'humongous.'
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 4:32:30 PM
At 4/18/2013 4:25:32 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:55:12 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Yes.

You said God wasn't even material, so I fail to understand how he is 'humongous.'

That is correct, God is not "material", but God is a Spirit (John 4:24) and He has a form but I have no idea what "humongous" means?
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 6:26:03 PM
Because in this forum there seems to be more atheists concerned about religion than theists I want to ask these questions to them only:

The of anti-Christ.

The coming of Jesus.

and more others

Would those signs cause you to admit there is God and there is a judgement day and there is a Paradise and a Hellfire ?

Please invite maximum of atheists to participate so we all can have a closer idea

Thank you

Besides the rising of the sun in the West, what exactly would these "signs" be? "The coming of Jesus" is a little vague. I mean, there have been dozens of people claiming to be Jesus incarnate, but no, I don't believe them.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 7:14:12 PM
Thank you to all theists and atheists who participated ,

I will answer your questions one post each .
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 7:19:22 PM
At 4/18/2013 3:15:54 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:04:41 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
No.

Really? Jesus coming wouldn't convince you lol

If a real Jesus showed up, he couldn't be the contradictory Jesus that has been preached by the churches. So, no, he wouldn't be reason to believe the existing mythology.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 7:30:27 PM
muzebreak

How would I know that these signs are the actual things predicted in the bible, and not a coincidence or illusion?

First , if you beleive universe is a coincidence chances are you will take those signs for coincidences too , it really seams an understanding issue to me .

Also the signs that came in monotheist religions are precise and follow each other , it's a succession of events , antichrist then Jesus then some other extraordinary events including Yogog and Mogog and finally the rising of sun from the west to name only these but the deeds will no longer be accepted once the sun rises from the west according to some religions.

That's for coincidence, but for illusion I do not know , those are real events not imaginary.

So waiting for your decision
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 7:33:46 PM
I'd believe in God if he gave me one billion dollars.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 7:38:13 PM

The of anti-Christ.
It's already been claimed that that's happened by various people. Heck, some folks think Obama is the anti-Christ. When would we know it was the "real" one?

The coming of Jesus.

Again, how would we know it was Jesus?

This one would be an indicator of something big, that's for sure. But on its own it wouldn't therefore = Christianity is true.

Since there's only one that's "objective", and that one is definitely an indicator of something, but not necessarily Christianity, I'd say no.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!