Jump to topic:

If you were God...

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:37:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you were God, how would this world be different? Where would it be the same? Any differences between what you would do and what Yahweh would do?
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:39:01 AM
First, off I would actually condemn sexism in the bible instead of saying stuff like:

1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35

34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:26:53 AM
I would make my presence known if I wanted it known; which is to say, that if I were God, I would either be rewarding those who note the lack of evidence for my existence (present world, assuming there's a reason I wouldn't want to make my presence obvious) or I would be immanently present (altered world).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:35:50 AM
At 4/20/2013 12:39:01 AM, Dan4reason wrote:
First, off I would actually condemn sexism in the bible instead of saying stuff like:

34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.:
This is more about teaching the power of the Godhead. On earth man represents God as the head. This more represents being submissive to authority. God has placed the man in authority and to represent the head. This reflects in the heavenly order that God is the head and we to submit to Him. This teaches men as much as women. This should teach men to treat women as God would treat us, of course most don't.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:38:56 AM
At 4/20/2013 1:26:53 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I would make my presence known if I wanted it known; which is to say, that if I were God, I would either be rewarding those who note the lack of evidence for my existence (present world, assuming there's a reason I wouldn't want to make my presence obvious) or I would be immanently present (altered world).:

How do you not know that all our physical evidence represents God? Maybe He is scientifically sound as well as supernatural. Maybe faith would no longer be important if He just made His presence known. You can not find more loving and loyal followers than ones who will oppose science and the world to believe, God, on faith.
glassplotful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:30:38 AM
At 4/20/2013 1:35:50 AM, Pennington wrote:
This is more about teaching the power of the Godhead. On earth man represents God as the head. This more represents being submissive to authority. God has placed the man in authority and to represent the head. This reflects in the heavenly order that God is the head and we to submit to Him. This teaches men as much as women. This should teach men to treat women as God would treat us, of course most don't.

What makes your interpretation the valid one?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:35:07 AM
At 4/20/2013 2:30:38 AM, glassplotful wrote:

What makes your interpretation the valid one?:

It is not my interpretation. This a Biblical theme throughout the Bible. Common knowledge if you was a Biblical student.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 4:34:31 AM
I'm not sure I'm enough wise , knowledgeable, Merciful ,Indulgent (especially with atheists and polytheists) .

But I will do according to my own knowledge and Will , and I will put in Hell forever those who didn't want to follow me although I gave them enough signs for their brains to bear.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:27:50 AM
As I mentioned before, I would be condemning sexism in the bible instead of promoting it. Also, I would never make a garden of Eden. It makes no sense to create two people with no knowledge of good and evil, or in other words no ability to make moral judgements, and then create a tree to test their moral judgement. And then when these people make the wrong choice, punish them and the rest of humanity for their mistakes.

I would not punish anyone unless it does them or society some good. Torturing someone merely because they did something wrong is thinly veiled revenge. So torturing millions of people for eternity in hell is obviously not going to happen. And I certainly will also not be torturing people for not believing in my existence.

That brings me to another point. I will come down to visit regularly so there is no doubt as to my existence. It makes no sense to test people to see if people will obey me but then provide insufficient evidence for my existence.

In my world, the bible will be more explicit about what is right and wrong. Rape, sexism, racism, homophobia, slavery, genecide, religious war and bigotry, imperialism, and more will be explicitely be condemned. I will be explicit that monarchy is morally wrong, and so is a totalitarian government. It makes no sense to make passages that actually promote many of these ideas leading to hundreds of years of confusion. It is hard enough trying to be good, that it is really unnecessary for humanity to spend thousands of years being confused about what is right and wrong. And of course the law of Moses is both horrifying and silly and I would never have it written. I will be stressing how important charity and kindness to others is the single most import thing here for passing this test on earth.

In my world, there will be no natural disasters, there are enough trials in our lives as it is. There is no need for all these senseless suffering. Also, there would be no mental illness. Everyone will be given the chance to prove themselves with full mental capacity. If any major genocide or slaughter was going on in the world, I would come down to intervene. These sorts of things ruin the lives of millions of people and are unacceptable.

Another thing, if people fail the test here on earth, they will not go to hell, they will be put in some holding place for a while and given another chance. I believe in giving people second chances. If you do pass the test here on earth, you will go to paradise. You will not be judged based on your belief in my but on how you dealt with your personal demons, how you treated other people, how hard working you were, and what you achieved with what you were given.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:32:51 AM
At 4/20/2013 12:37:18 AM, Dan4reason wrote:
If you were God, how would this world be different? Where would it be the same? Any differences between what you would do and what Yahweh would do?

I don't think it would.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:20:35 PM

If I were the god of Oklahoma, and Jehovah were the god of everywhere else, everybody would move to Oklahoma.

I'm not even all that nice a person, but how hard would it be for an omnipotent god to avoid Hellfire? And sin? Why would a good god make sex a sin? That's crazy viciousness. And droughts and plagues? Contradictory hate-inducing religious texts?

I wouldn't have to do anything at all to be way better than Jesus, but I would do a few good things. There'd be no comparison.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:42:42 PM
At 4/20/2013 12:39:01 AM, Dan4reason wrote:

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.:

You see, I find that system to be immoral. I would never make someone born to lead or born to follow because of their gender. I would let that be decided by each person's actual abilities and skills as they progress through life, just like how it is in the western world.

Another thing, I will not make marriage about one person telling the other what to do. In the bible I will explicitly say that marriage is about both people making decisions and having to compromise with each other. Decisions in marriage will be made as a unit, not one of domination and submission. True love cannot exist in a domination-submission marriage.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:45:44 PM
You people sound self justified and self centered. Sound like those kids or people who blame everyone else and then say it is not their fault and they dont deserve to be punished for their actions. Like God has no right to punish you or He does not know what you will be and what you will do.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:46:59 PM
If I were God, I would drop a pretty noticeable miracle somewhere in the world once every few months that most science couldnt explain to let people know there are supernatural things in the world, which can be used to imply the existence of God. Such miracles could be someone living to the age of 150, really awesome acts of nature that science cant explain, smiting a dictator right on television or at a massive rally, stuff like that.

Then once everyone is on board (with believing God exists) I would start dropping miracles around to try to show people the way they should live life and treat others so that they can be good and stuff like that.

But thats just me :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:47:06 PM

How DARE You!

Your lack of humility is astounding... Questioning this Best of All Possible Worlds!
This is the problem with atheists, using their own opinions to name Right and Wrong... They don't want to believe in God b/c they want to follow their own opinions!

It doesn't matter what you think, God is greater than you... You may think certain things to be horrible, and your feelings (like empathy) may dispose you to disagree with god on certain things.. But too bad. What God says is right, and if you don't agree with the fact that women are subservient to men, and want to free slaves, and want to NOT burn women who've had pre-marital sex on their father's doorstep, or want to question why god would have bears tear little children apart for making fun of some bald guy... Then you're a bad person and will be tortured in hell for Eternity...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 12:54:13 PM
At 4/20/2013 12:47:06 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

How DARE You!

Your lack of humility is astounding... Questioning this Best of All Possible Worlds!
This is the problem with atheists, using their own opinions to name Right and Wrong... They don't want to believe in God b/c they want to follow their own opinions!

It doesn't matter what you think, God is greater than you... You may think certain things to be horrible, and your feelings (like empathy) may dispose you to disagree with god on certain things.. But too bad. What God says is right, and if you don't agree with the fact that women are subservient to men, and want to free slaves, and want to NOT burn women who've had pre-marital sex on their father's doorstep, or want to question why god would have bears tear little children apart for making fun of some bald guy... Then you're a bad person and will be tortured in hell for Eternity...

anyways, for those who think the blood-crazy, horrible, petty, god of the OT was in some way due to human error in writing the bible or something...
Then, if I were god, realizing that people were so confused as to my wishes... and realizing the HORRIBLE effects such a misunderstanding could lead to... I'd have impressed upon all living people what it Really was to live morally... SO that their confusion as to where I, God, stood on the matter wouldn't lead to horrifying torture and violence.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:00:42 PM
At 4/20/2013 12:45:44 PM, Pennington wrote:
You people sound self justified and self centered. Sound like those kids or people who blame everyone else and then say it is not their fault and they dont deserve to be punished for their actions. Like God has no right to punish you or He does not know what you will be and what you will do.

First off, I am not being self-centered. If I were blessed enough to be omnipotent and omniscient, then my actions with regard to this planet would be purely to help others. And I will not be demanding worship from people. Doing so is the most narcissistic thing imaginable. I am not being self-justificed, I am simply stating the moral judgments I would make if I had God's powers. How is it self-justified or self-centered to state that I would condemn racism in the bible? That sounds like a good thing to me.

I am not against punishing people for their actions. I am only against the kind of punishment that does nobody any benefit and is only there to exact revenge on people.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:03:37 PM
At 4/20/2013 12:46:59 PM, imabench wrote:
If I were God, I would drop a pretty noticeable miracle somewhere in the world once every few months that most science couldnt explain to let people know there are supernatural things in the world, which can be used to imply the existence of God. Such miracles could be someone living to the age of 150, really awesome acts of nature that science cant explain, smiting a dictator right on television or at a massive rally, stuff like that.

Then once everyone is on board (with believing God exists) I would start dropping miracles around to try to show people the way they should live life and treat others so that they can be good and stuff like that.

But thats just me :P

That sounds like a good approach. I personally would reveal myself while doing this though so people would have no confusion which God is doing these miracles.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:08:03 PM
At 4/20/2013 12:42:42 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
You see, I find that system to be immoral. I would never make someone born to lead or born to follow because of their gender. I would let that be decided by each person's actual abilities and skills as they progress through life, just like how it is in the western world.

Another thing, I will not make marriage about one person telling the other what to do. In the bible I will explicitly say that marriage is about both people making decisions and having to compromise with each other. Decisions in marriage will be made as a unit, not one of domination and submission. True love cannot exist in a domination-submission marriage.

Yes but you happen not to be God, ask an employee what he would do if he was the boss ? but if he really was the boss he won't be better than his actual boss.

You can not Judge God , what he likes is good, what he doesn't is the evil , if yoy can't then at least be humble and ask forgiveness.

and as you speak about love and marriage, there are no rules to predict what marriage will work , domination and submition happen to be a need for plenty of people. but God has made a rule when he knows his creatures best. and for the society to remain moral!
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:16:34 PM
At 4/20/2013 1:08:03 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/20/2013 12:42:42 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

Yes but you happen not to be God, ask an employee what he would do if he was the boss ? but if he really was the boss he won't be better than his actual boss.

So what you are saying is that an equality marriage is inferior to a domination-submission marriage? How so?

You can not Judge God , what he likes is good, what he doesn't is the evil , if yoy can't then at least be humble and ask forgiveness.

I believe that the accounts of God's opinions were made up by people. So I am really judging those people's opinions.

and as you speak about love and marriage, there are no rules to predict what marriage will work , domination and submition happen to be a need for plenty of people. but God has made a rule when he knows his creatures best. and for the society to remain moral!

I know plenty of great marriages based on equality that work out. My aunt and uncle have been married for 30 years based on equality and it is still going strong. At the very least, can't the bible at least give couples the choice what kind of marriage they want? If you want to be submissive to your partner, then you have every right to do so.

If you want to make all the decisions in a marriage, then marry a partner who can put up with that. But don't mandate submission-domination for all marriages or restrict domination to males and submission to females.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:23:45 PM
At 4/20/2013 1:08:03 PM, Fruitytree wrote:

Yes, yes... He's really a good guy at heart:
Leviticus 26:27-29
New International Version (NIV)
27 ""If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.
http://www.biblegateway.com...

Deut 22:13
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," 15 then the young woman"s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, "I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, "I did not find your daughter to be a virgin." But here is the proof of my daughter"s virginity." Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman"s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman"s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father"s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father"s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

2 Kings 2:23-24
New International Version (NIV)
Elisha Is Jeered

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. "Get out of here, baldy!" they said. "Get out of here, baldy!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 1:27:16 PM
At 4/20/2013 1:23:45 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Deut 22:13
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," 15 then the young woman"s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, "I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, "I did not find your daughter to be a virgin." But here is the proof of my daughter"s virginity." Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman"s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman"s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father"s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father"s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

and, not only is this verse horrible given that the girl has indeed had pre-marital sex.. or been raped.. or whatever...

But take it in the context that Sometimes girl's "proof" of virginity can disappear even without having had sex.
Nice little passage god endorses here.

Metaphysics:
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:25:57 PM
If I was God, I wouldn't have created a world. I would have just been satisfied with myself because I would be perfect in every way. Why taint reality with imperfection when glorification and love could be experienced internally within the trinity? Creation the universe we today would seem silly if I was God. A reality including just a perfect Kingdom of Heaven, would be preferable to the diseased, baron, dead sea of matter we all the universe. However, at least there would be advanced apes on a spec of dust who just consume energy and replicate until there planet cannot sustain them anymore. Any who, if I was forced to create a universe, it would just be a potentially infinite flat landscape. The farther people travel, the more gets added to the program, and it could go on forever. No need for space, planets, asteroids and other things, just a flat plane of land. No disease or natural disasters would exist either, all suffering would be caused by the free-will I gave them. If they learn to live with each other in peace lean in the direction of my perfect nature, they can enter the kingdom of Heaven. If not, then I would wipe them out and have some fun with a new species, and see what crazy stuff they come up with.