Total Posts:100|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Religious Debate Tournament!

Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 3:27:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This Tournament will focus on religion, theism, atheism and anything which falls into that category. Sign up:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
We can accept however many people want to join the tournament.
Rules/structure:
Instant elimination if you lose
Players will be matched by interests and experience (elo)

For your debates, each round must go for 72 hours, have a voting period of at least 1 week and have an 8000 character limit.

To do the pairing, I will make a list with high elo on the ends of the list and low elo in the middle. Competitor 1 will debate #10; #2 vs #8 etc.

Pairing will commence the moment when we get plenty of people.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 3:42:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 3:27:40 AM, Smithereens wrote:
This Tournament will focus on religion, theism, atheism and anything which falls into that category. Sign up:
1. Pennington
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
We can accept however many people want to join the tournament.
Rules/structure:
Instant elimination if you lose
Players will be matched by interests and experience (elo)

For your debates, each round must go for 72 hours, have a voting period of at least 1 week and have an 8000 character limit.

To do the pairing, I will make a list with high elo on the ends of the list and low elo in the middle. Competitor 1 will debate #10; #2 vs #8 etc.

Pairing will commence the moment when we get plenty of people.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
boss1592
Posts: 80
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 3:44:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'd be down, but I'd like a more perspicuous idea regarding the specific topics we would be debating and how topics are chosen for specific debates, do we pick our own, are they randomly assigned etc.
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 3:51:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 3:42:56 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 3:27:40 AM, Smithereens wrote:
This Tournament will focus on religion, theism, atheism and anything which falls into that category. Sign up:
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
We can accept however many people want to join the tournament.
Rules/structure:
Instant elimination if you lose
Players will be matched by interests and experience (elo)

For your debates, each round must go for 72 hours, have a voting period of at least 1 week and have an 8000 character limit.

To do the pairing, I will make a list with high elo on the ends of the list and low elo in the middle. Competitor 1 will debate #10; #2 vs #8 etc.

Pairing will commence the moment when we get plenty of people.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Controverter
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:05:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 3:51:38 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 3:42:56 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 3:27:40 AM, Smithereens wrote:
This Tournament will focus on religion, theism, atheism and anything which falls into that category. Sign up:
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
We can accept however many people want to join the tournament.
Rules/structure:
Instant elimination if you lose
Players will be matched by interests and experience (elo)

For your debates, each round must go for 72 hours, have a voting period of at least 1 week and have an 8000 character limit.

To do the pairing, I will make a list with high elo on the ends of the list and low elo in the middle. Competitor 1 will debate #10; #2 vs #8 etc.

Pairing will commence the moment when we get plenty of people.
Women have an unfair advantage over men: If they can"t get what they want by being smart, they can get it by being dumb.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:07:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 3:44:27 AM, boss1592 wrote:
I'd be down, but I'd like a more perspicuous idea regarding the specific topics we would be debating and how topics are chosen for specific debates, do we pick our own, are they randomly assigned etc.

you and your partner choose one for yourselves.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:08:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
boss1592
Posts: 80
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:28:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 4:05:17 AM, Controverter wrote:
At 4/22/2013 3:51:38 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 3:42:56 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 3:27:40 AM, Smithereens wrote:
This Tournament will focus on religion, theism, atheism and anything which falls into that category. Sign up:
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918; Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
We can accept however many people want to join the tournament.
Rules/structure:
Instant elimination if you lose
Players will be matched by interests and experience (elo)

For your debates, each round must go for 72 hours, have a voting period of at least 1 week and have an 8000 character limit.

To do the pairing, I will make a list with high elo on the ends of the list and low elo in the middle. Competitor 1 will debate #10; #2 vs #8 etc.

Pairing will commence the moment when we get plenty of people.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:37:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918; Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:43:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918; Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4. Phantom ELO - 3,858; Atheist, will fill out interests latter.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:45:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 4:37:17 AM, Smithereens wrote:
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918; Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:00:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Pennington ELO-3071; theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918; Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4. Phantom ELO - 3,858; Atheist, will fill out interests latter.
5. AlbinoBunny ELO " 2082; Atheist, No religion, Science etc.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
boss1592
Posts: 80
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:05:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 4:45:29 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 4:37:17 AM, Smithereens wrote:
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918, Position: Atheist, Interests: Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:21:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
We better get more theist or other diverse beliefs because a lot of atheist are going to battle themselves.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:27:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 5:21:23 AM, Pennington wrote:
We better get more theist or other diverse beliefs because a lot of atheist are going to battle themselves.

no worries. they will have topics like: 'Irreligion has gone too far in society,' or 'marxist ideology is fundamentally flawed.' The idea is that no one will have to argue against their own beliefs if they do not want to.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:29:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918, Position: Atheist, Interests: Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:04:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 5:29:47 AM, Smithereens wrote:
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918, Position: Atheist, Interests: Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4. ?? Phantom ELO - 3,858; Atheist, will fill out interests latter.
5. ?? AlbinoBunny ELO " 2082; Atheist, No religion, Science etc.
6. medv4380, ELO 2,075 (should be considered unranked due to too few debates); I should be considered True Agnostic, I can debate Pro or Con Creation, and Evolution, Pro or Con God within reason(Con specific god, Pro general god), Pro God might not exist, Pro God can defiantly exist if certain scientific assumptions are true, and so on.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 5:47:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 6:04:15 PM, medv4380 wrote:
At 4/22/2013 5:29:47 AM, Smithereens wrote:
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918, Position: Atheist, Interests: Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4. ?? Phantom ELO - 3,858; Atheist, will fill out interests latter.
5. ?? AlbinoBunny ELO " 2082; Atheist, No religion, Science etc.
6. medv4380, ELO 2,075 (should be considered unranked due to too few debates); I should be considered True Agnostic, I can debate Pro or Con Creation, and Evolution, Pro or Con God within reason(Con specific god, Pro general god), Pro God might not exist, Pro God can defiantly exist if certain scientific assumptions are true, and so on.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.

When will this start and how many to join? I say 8.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 12:33:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ditto. And did anyone determine how long the response time is? I can only do them in 1-wk time periods (24 hr apiece for 8 total responses).

P. S. I would like to register Composer and Dogknox to debate each other - and make the rules. I'll be the moderator.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 6:30:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 12:33:19 AM, annanicole wrote:
Ditto. And did anyone determine how long the response time is? I can only do them in 1-wk time periods (24 hr apiece for 8 total responses).

P. S. I would like to register Composer and Dogknox to debate each other - and make the rules. I'll be the moderator.

72 hours to respond

you can put composer and dogknox in if they want to participate.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 7:13:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
OK, add Composer and Dogknox to the tournament. They told me on chat that they'd like to participate but weren't sure how to do it. They want to debate each other.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 7:19:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/23/2013 5:47:36 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 6:04:15 PM, medv4380 wrote:
At 4/22/2013 5:29:47 AM, Smithereens wrote:
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918, Position: Atheist, Interests: Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4. ?? Phantom ELO - 3,858; Atheist, will fill out interests latter.
5. ?? AlbinoBunny ELO " 2082; Atheist, No religion, Science etc.
6. medv4380, ELO 2,075 (should be considered unranked due to too few debates); I should be considered True Agnostic, I can debate Pro or Con Creation, and Evolution, Pro or Con God within reason(Con specific god, Pro general god), Pro God might not exist, Pro God can defiantly exist if certain scientific assumptions are true, and so on.
7. Dogknox, Holy Apostolic Catholic Blameless Church, debate members of the DE-formation, in PROTEST against Peter, Paul and Mary
8. Composer, vindicated cult-buster of the eternal jew jebus from KJV story-book, honorary member of Randi Foundation, moi
9.
10.
11.
12.

When will this start and how many to join? I say 8.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 8:07:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wouldn't it be better to do a start time now that there appears to be 8? That should give some time for others to see the opportunity before arguments are started.

Also, is there a set list of available resolutions, or is it more of a write your own?
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:30:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/24/2013 7:19:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 4/23/2013 5:47:36 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/22/2013 6:04:15 PM, medv4380 wrote:
At 4/22/2013 5:29:47 AM, Smithereens wrote:
1. Pennington; ELO-3071; Position- Theist/Protestant Christian; Topics- theist philosophy; Christian philosophy; Biblical teaching; arguments for God; Against atheism.
2. Controverter ELO - 1,833; Deism, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Taoism. I find all other religious outlooks to result in a huge amount of logical fallacies once to ebb away at the face of emotion.
3. Boss1592 ELO - 1,918, Position: Atheist, Interests: Atheism, Naturalism, Science, Physics, Creation/Evolution debate, arguments against theism
4. ?? Phantom ELO - 3,858; Atheist, will fill out interests latter.
5. ?? AlbinoBunny ELO " 2082; Atheist, No religion, Science etc.
6. medv4380, ELO 2,075 (should be considered unranked due to too few debates); I should be considered True Agnostic, I can debate Pro or Con Creation, and Evolution, Pro or Con God within reason(Con specific god, Pro general god), Pro God might not exist, Pro God can defiantly exist if certain scientific assumptions are true, and so on.
7. Dogknox, Holy Apostolic Catholic Blameless Church, debate members of the DE-formation, in PROTEST against Peter, Paul and Mary
8. Composer, vindicated cult-buster of the eternal jew jebus from KJV story-book, honorary member of Randi Foundation, moi
9. Emo, ELO- 1,908, Weak atheist, Religious vs. Secular Morality, Science v. Religion, God's existence (Con), Biblical errancy, Religion is dying (Pro), Validity of the KCA, etc.
10.
11.
12.

When will this start and how many to join? I say 8.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana