Jump to topic:

Bible

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:32:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Bible is an incredibly immoral book. Here are some indisputable facts about biblical morality.

1. The Bible endorses slavery in the Old Testament and the New Testament.
2. The Bible endorses murder for witches, homosexuals, fortunetellers, disobedient children, disobedient churchgoers, fornicators, adulterers, nonbelievers, false prophets, followers of other religions, blasphemers, and people working on the sabbath.

Before lecturing someone about Biblical morality, ask yourself if slavery and murder are moral. People claim this is a morally perfect book, but is it even a somehwhat morally good book?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:50:44 AM
At 4/25/2013 1:32:29 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The Bible is an incredibly immoral book. Here are some indisputable facts about biblical morality.

1. The Bible endorses slavery in the Old Testament and the New Testament.:
The Bible does not endorse slavery. Man endorsed slavery and the Israelites had to adapt to that. Are you saying that they should leave peoples vulernable to other peoples who also took slaves, who also would try to enslave Israelites as well. The Israelites was the only people to treat slaves with justice. Do you not know that Patriarchs ruled lands then and all were servants to them?
2. The Bible endorses murder for witches, homosexuals, fortunetellers, disobedient children, disobedient churchgoers, fornicators, adulterers, nonbelievers, false prophets, followers of other religions, blasphemers, and people working on the sabbath.:
It does in the O.T. In the O.T. the only way to be forgiven for sin was death or a pure offering to God. You will never show this true in the N.T.

Before lecturing someone about Biblical morality, ask yourself if slavery and murder are moral.:
In certain circumstances it is.
People claim this is a morally perfect book, but is it even a somehwhat morally good book?:
And you have authority to say what is moral and make judgements from 3000 years in the future about culture then. Smart.

You are intellectually dishonest or have none.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:59:17 AM
At 4/25/2013 1:50:44 AM, Pennington wrote:

The Bible does not endorse slavery. Man endorsed slavery and the Israelites had to adapt to that. Are you saying that they should leave peoples vulernable to other peoples who also took slaves, who also would try to enslave Israelites as well. The Israelites was the only people to treat slaves with justice. Do you not know that Patriarchs ruled lands then and all were servants to them?

You're making a fool of yourself.

2. The Bible endorses murder for witches, homosexuals, fortunetellers, disobedient children, disobedient churchgoers, fornicators, adulterers, nonbelievers, false prophets, followers of other religions, blasphemers, and people working on the sabbath.:
It does in the O.T. In the O.T. the only way to be forgiven for sin was death or a pure offering to God. You will never show this true in the N.T.

The New Testament does not abolish the Old Testament, that is an elementary error on your part. I don't expect Christians to have read the Bible, though. Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Before lecturing someone about Biblical morality, ask yourself if slavery and murder are moral.:
People claim this is a morally perfect book, but is it even a somehwhat morally good book?:
And you have authority to say what is moral and make judgements from 3000 years in the future about culture then. Smart.

Show me where I was intellectually dishonest. No theologian challenges these claims, but apparently you do. Would you like to debate this topic?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:03:08 AM
I actually applaud you for rendering the Bible irrelevant instead of morally wise. You've also used two of the three most common biblically incorrect dodges: (i) "It was okay in that time and in that cultural context." (ii) That was the Old Testament! Nobody believes that anymore and Jesus abolished the Old Testament! I don't even know why it's even included with the New Testament at all, since God changes so drastically in the New!"

If you manage to pull off the third, you get a prize.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:15:20 AM
At 4/25/2013 1:59:17 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 4/25/2013 1:50:44 AM, Pennington wrote:

You're making a fool of yourself.:
No, you are.

The New Testament does not abolish the Old Testament, that is an elementary error on your part. I don't expect Christians to have read the Bible, though. Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.":
You posted the very verse that kills your stance, lol. You show your lack of knowledge here. Jesus very well tells you He came and fulfilled the law and therefore we need not judge people or cleanse our sins ourselves, Jesus has.

Show me where I was intellectually dishonest. No theologian challenges these claims, but apparently you do. Would you like to debate this topic?:
There are plenty of theologians who object, it is obvious care nothing on their information. You rather here what you want to.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:16:14 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:03:08 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I actually applaud you for rendering the Bible irrelevant instead of morally wise. You've also used two of the three most common biblically incorrect dodges: (i) "It was okay in that time and in that cultural context." (ii) That was the Old Testament! Nobody believes that anymore and Jesus abolished the Old Testament! I don't even know why it's even included with the New Testament at all, since God changes so drastically in the New!"

If you manage to pull off the third, you get a prize.:\
You show your dishonesty.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:18:07 AM
Would you like to debate this topic?:
Which ones.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:18:48 AM

1. The Bible endorses slavery in the Old Testament and the New Testament.
2. The Bible endorses murder for witches, homosexuals, fortunetellers, disobedient children, disobedient churchgoers, fornicators, adulterers, nonbelievers, false prophets, followers of other religions, blasphemers, and people working on the sabbath.

Before lecturing someone about Biblical morality, ask yourself if slavery and murder are moral. People claim this is a morally perfect book, but is it even a somehwhat morally good book?

Right, more village atheism- biblical descriptions aren't moral prescriptions, accommodationary law doesn't translate to normative obligation and there's a spiritual lesson throughout the bible: God's law vs grace.

You're judging the bible, a history of a fallen humanity's relationship to God and how he redeemed them, from the convenient vantage point of a modernized westernized Christianized view- good going, that's like making fun of yourself as a baby for not knowing calculus from the vantage point of you as a college senior.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:19:58 AM
Also, why think the Bible is an inerrant book? How is this relevant to the existence of the Christian God?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:29:23 AM
You expect me to believe that God created and controls the entire Universe, but he can't even create or control a book he allegedly inspired and is directly quoted in?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:29:45 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:18:07 AM, Pennington wrote:
Which ones.

Resolved: The Bible endorses slavery.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:37:47 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:18:48 AM, Apeiron wrote:
Right, more village atheism- biblical descriptions aren't moral prescriptions, accommodationary law doesn't translate to normative obligation and there's a spiritual lesson throughout the bible: God's law vs grace.

Why do you dislike the Bible so much? Leviticus 25:44 "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

You're judging the bible, a history of a fallen humanity's relationship to God and how he redeemed them, from the convenient vantage point of a modernized westernized Christianized view- good going, that's like making fun of yourself as a baby for not knowing calculus from the vantage point of you as a college senior.

Faulty analogy, I didn't claim to be acting as a mathematically perfect being as a baby. God claims to be morally perfect and his endorsement of slavery contradicts that, unless you take the morally arbitrary position that whatever God chooses to be moral is, cuz derp.
HGWell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:40:36 AM
The Bible is an incredibly immoral book.

Wallstreetatheist, can you share with me what moral standard you're judging the Bible from?

Thank you.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:46:13 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:40:36 AM, HGWell wrote:

Wallstreetatheist, can you share with me what moral standard you're judging the Bible from?

Thank you.

The Bible is immoral by nearly every moral framework. Slavery and arbitrary murder are immoral under Utilitarianism, Libertarianism, Kantian Deontology, Consequentialism, and Virtue Theory. It can only be morally justified (weakly) by claiming that whatever God chooses to be moral is moral, like when he commanded genocide against Amalekites and Midianites.
HGWell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:47:10 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:46:13 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Thank you.

The Bible is immoral by nearly every moral framework. Slavery and arbitrary murder are immoral under Utilitarianism, Libertarianism, Kantian Deontology, Consequentialism, and Virtue Theory. It can only be morally justified (weakly) by claiming that whatever God chooses to be moral is moral, like when he commanded genocide against Amalekites and Midianites.

So what viewpoint are you deciding morality from?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:49:52 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:29:45 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Which ones.

Resolved: The Bible endorses slavery.:
The Bible is a book written by men and inspired by God. Slavery in Bible times is significantly different then modern times. In many cases it was actually more of an indentured servant type arrangement. That is a unfair resolution. You can not show all slavery was bad for the slaves involved.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:55:10 AM

Thank you.

The Bible is immoral by nearly every moral framework. :
When were those frameworks developed? By what standard were they developed? Was the O.T. developed during those standards? Finally, can we be honest and invoke our moral framework on people three thousand years ago?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:57:14 AM
I literally just finished debating someone who fully accepted that the bible advocates slavery, genocide and infanticide, yet his whole moral argument against homosexuality was that the bible was against it...I was like what the holly fvck?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:10:59 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:37:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Why do you dislike the Bible so much? Leviticus 25:44 "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

Again, these laws are accommodationary- they're designed to make slavery as humane as possible in a fallen humanity that is gradually learning moral truths. Slavery in the OT is akin to imprisonment in modern times and served a roughly similar purpose enabling a man who couldn't pay a debt to work it off directly. in some respects it was less degrading and demoralizing than the modern day prisons!

Faulty analogy, I didn't claim to be acting as a mathematically perfect being as a baby. God claims to be morally perfect and his endorsement of slavery contradicts that, unless you take the morally arbitrary position that whatever God chooses to be moral is, cuz derp.

Your vain sincerity in this discussion isn't fooling anyone. Either talk like a man or I'll be on my way. (this is what you shoulda said to me when I crossed in to the political sector and trolled it... men give ultimatums.)
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:13:08 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:29:23 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
You expect me to believe that God created and controls the entire Universe, but he can't even create or control a book he allegedly inspired and is directly quoted in?

Your view of the bible's a strange one fella, no wonder you're an atheist.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:15:21 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:55:10 AM, Pennington wrote:

Thank you.

When were those frameworks developed? By what standard were they developed? Was the O.T. developed during those standards? Finally, can we be honest and invoke our moral framework on people three thousand years ago?

Hey another jebus the eternal jew boy rejects!

It isn't a case of US presenting our modern day arguments against OT slavery or any slavery at all; it's the fact that the narcissistic mother fukking trinitarian jebus (Luke 1:35) continued unabated with its gods vile, immoral attitude to promote, encourage, accept slavery in the OT, and jebus the trinitarian Mother Fukkr (Luke 1:35) demands to make slaves of us all as shown in the NT -

Story book jebus speaking: But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay [ them ] before me. (Luke 19:27) KJV Story book, cf.

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me. ' " (Luke 19:27) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."" Luke 19:27 English Standard Version

But the enemies of me those, the not willing me to reign over them, bring you hither and slay in presence of me. (Luke 19:27) Watchtower publication: E. Diaglott 1942 Edition

Morover, these enemies of mine that did not want me to become king over them BRING here and slaughter them before me' " (Luke 19:27) KIT Story book

cf. With flaming fire he will mete out11 punishment on those who do not know God12 and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 1:9 They13 will undergo the penalty of eternal destruction, (2 Thess. 1:8,9) NET Story book

inflcting vengeance upon those who do not know God and upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. (2 Thess. 1:8,9) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition

Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. (Luke 11:23) English Standard Version (ESV)

Hence it came to oppress, subjugate and enslave every one like its Story book OT narcissistic Mother fukking supporter bastard of a god!

What a magnificent FAILURE it was, LOL!

BTW: A god requiring himself to sacrifice himself to himself in order for him to forgive beings he created for acting in accordance with the instincts he created them with...... you are right, that IS a crazy SOB (metaph'). (My thanks to Argyle)

Your vindicated mentor, 50 nearly 51 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!
HGWell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:19:42 AM
At 4/25/2013 3:15:21 AM, Composer wrote:
At 4/25/2013 2:55:10 AM, Pennington wrote:

Thank you.

Hey another jebus the eternal jew boy rejects!

It isn't a case of US presenting our modern day arguments against OT slavery or any slavery at all; it's the fact that the narcissistic mother fukking trinitarian jebus (Luke 1:35) continued unabated with its gods vile, immoral attitude to promote, encourage, accept slavery in the OT, and jebus the trinitarian Mother Fukkr (Luke 1:35) demands to make slaves of us all as shown in the NT -

Story book jebus speaking: But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay [ them ] before me. (Luke 19:27) KJV Story book, cf.

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me. ' " (Luke 19:27) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."" Luke 19:27 English Standard Version

But the enemies of me those, the not willing me to reign over them, bring you hither and slay in presence of me. (Luke 19:27) Watchtower publication: E. Diaglott 1942 Edition

Morover, these enemies of mine that did not want me to become king over them BRING here and slaughter them before me' " (Luke 19:27) KIT Story book

cf. With flaming fire he will mete out11 punishment on those who do not know God12 and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 1:9 They13 will undergo the penalty of eternal destruction, (2 Thess. 1:8,9) NET Story book

inflcting vengeance upon those who do not know God and upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. (2 Thess. 1:8,9) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition

Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. (Luke 11:23) English Standard Version (ESV)

Hence it came to oppress, subjugate and enslave every one like its Story book OT narcissistic Mother fukking supporter bastard of a god!

What a magnificent FAILURE it was, LOL!

BTW: A god requiring himself to sacrifice himself to himself in order for him to forgive beings he created for acting in accordance with the instincts he created them with...... you are right, that IS a crazy SOB (metaph'). (My thanks to Argyle)

Your vindicated mentor, 50 nearly 51 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!

? Not sure what that had to do with anything but anyways...
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:23:12 AM

At 4/25/2013 3:13:08 AM, Apeiron wrote:

Why do those like YOU consider it strange that a Supernatural being has no control over its own propaganda?

Your mentor moi!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:24:25 AM
At 4/25/2013 3:13:08 AM, Apeiron wrote:

Do you doubt that the Bible endorses slavery?
HGWell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:28:06 AM
Wallstreetatheist,

Since you're the one asking the question, help me understand. How do you define morality? How do you decide right and wrong? What is your perspective for judging slavery/the bible/et al to be wrong or right?

Thank you.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:29:38 AM
At 4/25/2013 3:10:59 AM, Apeiron wrote:
At 4/25/2013 2:37:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Again, these laws are accommodationary-

Making up words again?

they're designed to make slavery as humane as possible in a fallen humanity that is gradually learning moral truths. Slavery in the OT is akin to imprisonment in modern times and served a roughly similar purpose enabling a man who couldn't pay a debt to work it off directly. in some respects it was less degrading and demoralizing than the modern day prisons!

You should try reading the Bible. Exodus 21:20-21 When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. You have to be f*cking kidding me. No?

Your vain sincerity in this discussion isn't fooling anyone. Either talk like a man or I'll be on my way. (this is what you shoulda said to me when I crossed in to the political sector and trolled it... men give ultimatums.)

Uhh... Are you going to address what I said or continue with your drivel?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:32:10 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:49:52 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/25/2013 2:29:45 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Which ones.

Resolved: The Bible endorses slavery.:
The Bible is a book written by men and inspired by God. Slavery in Bible times is significantly different then modern times. In many cases it was actually more of an indentured servant type arrangement. That is a unfair resolution. You can not show all slavery was bad for the slaves involved.

Why'd you just go on an autistic rant. All the resolution states is that the Bible endorses slavery, nothing more, nothing less.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:33:09 AM
What exactly is unfair about arguing "X endorses Y," and you arguing "X doesn't endorse Y?"
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 3:34:37 AM
At 4/25/2013 2:47:10 AM, HGWell wrote:

Thank you.

So what viewpoint are you deciding morality from?

I believe in aspects of each. Do you think slavery and arbitrary murder are moral?