Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheism=Religion

muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:21:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some ghosts from here tought me to not confuse atheism and religion so I'd be just watching :p

Here is a link that could please you :

http://www.dw.de...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:26:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:21:28 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
Some ghosts from here tought me to not confuse atheism and religion so I'd be just watching :p

What?


Here is a link that could please you :

http://www.dw.de...

That's really interesting, thanks for the link!

Though the organization does not use the term church, preferring congregation. It is a service that makes sense. I bet one of the major things that draws people to religion, and keeps them their, is the atmosphere. I think it is awesome that these people are showing them you can get that without religion.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:26:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

So you have two religions then?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:28:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:26:33 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:21:28 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
Some ghosts from here tought me to not confuse atheism and religion so I'd be just watching :p

What?


Here is a link that could please you :

http://www.dw.de...

That's really interesting, thanks for the link!

Though the organization does not use the term church, preferring congregation. It is a service that makes sense. I bet one of the major things that draws people to religion, and keeps them their, is the atmosphere. I think it is awesome that these people are showing them you can get that without religion.

Nevermind, I was wrong, they use that term.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:28:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Only if marxism, marijuana smoking, white supremacy, neoconservatism, and an-cap are all religions.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 2:30:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:28:42 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Only if marxism, marijuana smoking, white supremacy, neoconservatism, and an-cap are all religions.

I do smoke marijuana pretty religiously.....
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 5:52:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Let's just cut to the chase, everything's a religion. lol
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 6:10:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Neither atheism nor theism is a religion. I prefer to take the route in which words have meaning.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 6:10:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 5:52:38 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
Let's just cut to the chase, everything's a religion. lol

If the OP was applied consistently, belief in anything is a religion.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Enji
Posts: 1,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 7:59:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 7:10:09 PM, Radar wrote:
I never thought of theism as anything else but religion.

Theism may be the set of religions, but it is not itself a religion any more than the set of all integers is an integer (arguably theism contains some non-religions and some religions are not theistic - the only requirement for being a theist is the belief in god(s)). This is the distinction the OP was trying to get at.
Radar
Posts: 424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 8:20:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 7:59:23 PM, Enji wrote:
At 4/27/2013 7:10:09 PM, Radar wrote:
I never thought of theism as anything else but religion.

Theism may be the set of religions, but it is not itself a religion any more than the set of all integers is an integer (arguably theism contains some non-religions and some religions are not theistic - the only requirement for being a theist is the belief in god(s)). This is the distinction the OP was trying to get at.

I know, but in the context of the OP there's no reason to quibble .
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 8:29:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:26:58 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

So you have two religions then?

Oh, I guess you are one who believes the argument that theists are also atheists. That's self-contradictory but ok.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 8:30:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

I see what you did there. Very clever
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 8:34:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

Are you dumb or are you dumb?

Theism includes every branch, sect, and madeup off-spring of religiosity that exists: it is the collective amalgamation of everything from Christianity to Hinduism to Islam. The only unifier there is the belief in a "higher power", as the term implies. So it is not a religion but the name for the vast majority of religions.

If you think that "theism" is a religion then you've just demonstrated to everyone that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:35:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 6:10:00 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Neither atheism nor theism is a religion. I prefer to take the route in which words have meaning.

^This.
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:36:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 6:10:41 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
If the OP was applied consistently, belief in anything is a religion.

That still wouldn't make it apply to atheism, because atheism includes weak atheism, which is a lack of belief.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 1:22:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 8:34:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

Are you dumb or are you dumb?

Theism includes every branch, sect, and madeup off-spring of religiosity that exists: it is the collective amalgamation of everything from Christianity to Hinduism to Islam. The only unifier there is the belief in a "higher power", as the term implies. So it is not a religion but the name for the vast majority of religions.

If you think that "theism" is a religion then you've just demonstrated to everyone that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

You're such a yutz. Theism can't be one religion and we know this because of the conflicting core beliefs, but atheists don't have those conflicts, they share a common belief. So if I can get an atheist to be honest and admit that it has become a religion, by agreeing to this, then who's really the dummy here?? Hint: It ain't me.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 7:54:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 6:10:41 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 4/27/2013 5:52:38 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
Let's just cut to the chase, everything's a religion. lol

If the OP was applied consistently, belief in anything is a religion.

Yes, I was being fallacious, on purpose. Yes, it would seem to suggest that believing that any particular thing is true, or false, becomes a religion.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 7:58:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/28/2013 1:22:53 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 8:34:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

Are you dumb or are you dumb?

Theism includes every branch, sect, and madeup off-spring of religiosity that exists: it is the collective amalgamation of everything from Christianity to Hinduism to Islam. The only unifier there is the belief in a "higher power", as the term implies. So it is not a religion but the name for the vast majority of religions.

If you think that "theism" is a religion then you've just demonstrated to everyone that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

You're such a yutz. Theism can't be one religion and we know this because of the conflicting core beliefs, but atheists don't have those conflicts, they share a common belief. So if I can get an atheist to be honest and admit that it has become a religion, by agreeing to this, then who's really the dummy here?? Hint: It ain't me.

A theist believes in god(s). Many religions support this belief, but some do not. An atheist doesn't believe in god(s), fewer religions support this belief, and most do not.

Why would atheist be classified as a religion? We probably disagree on as many core beliefs as theists do.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:00:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 7:10:09 PM, Radar wrote:
I never thought of theism as anything else but religion.

So if you believe in god(s), you follow a religion? Which one? Theism? That doesn't sound like a religion to me.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:02:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 2:21:28 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
Some ghosts from here tought me to not confuse atheism and religion so I'd be just watching :p

Here is a link that could please you :

http://www.dw.de...

Some atheists create a religion (they might) and that means that all atheists are religious? Are you suggesting we'd all follow their religion? Do all theists follow the same religion?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:15:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
No of course not, it was just to nourish the discussion.

I know atheism and theism are only understandings or ideas, don't have to include religion in their definitions.

Atheism can develop into religions , just as theism developed into many.

But why ,Muzebreak, do you want to include atheism as a religion ?
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:20:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/28/2013 8:15:50 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
No of course not, it was just to nourish the discussion.

I know atheism and theism are only understandings or ideas, don't have to include religion in their definitions.

Atheism can develop into religions , just as theism developed into many.

But why ,Muzebreak, do you want to include atheism as a religion ?

He presented having to include theism as a religion simultaneously, which he thought everyone would reject. He should have realised how desperate some people are for atheism as a whole to also be classified as a religion.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
JonMilne
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:34:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/27/2013 8:29:13 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:26:58 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

So you have two religions then?

Oh, I guess you are one who believes the argument that theists are also atheists. That's self-contradictory but ok.

Well not really self-contradictory. I mean, if you accept Muzebreak's definition, then you have one religion where you believe in your Christian God, and a second religion where you don't believe in all the other Gods. As the old saying goes, you're just as much of an atheist as I am, I just believe in one fewer God than you do.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:38:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
No! his same christian religion where he believes in the creator, is the religion where he doesn't believe in othe gods , it's 2 in 1 religion !
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 8:45:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/28/2013 8:34:00 AM, JonMilne wrote:
At 4/27/2013 8:29:13 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:26:58 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:23:36 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 2:17:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I am willing to call atheism a religion, if we can agree that theism is also a religion. Any takers?

Sure, I have no problem making that admission.

So you have two religions then?

Oh, I guess you are one who believes the argument that theists are also atheists. That's self-contradictory but ok.

Well not really self-contradictory. I mean, if you accept Muzebreak's definition, then you have one religion where you believe in your Christian God, and a second religion where you don't believe in all the other Gods. As the old saying goes, you're just as much of an atheist as I am, I just believe in one fewer God than you do.

So mostly atheist, but very selectively theist. I think this is the part where people claim that all other gods people have worshipped are spirits that shouldn't be worshipped, like their true gods. It's interesting, because they make out that other gods were fakes, so are they really believing in them? Also, why would they believe in them? That just seems far more silly.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!