Are they friggin' serious???

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 7:51:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://radio.foxnews.com...

You gotta be kidding me. Let the ACLU find out that a teacher tries to promote God in a class and you can almost guarantee a law suit, but it's ok to promote lessons like this???
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 9:05:31 PM
At 4/27/2013 7:51:48 PM, medic0506 wrote:

You gotta be kidding me. Let the ACLU find out that a teacher tries to promote God in a class and you can almost guarantee a law suit, but it's ok to promote lessons like this???

I feel sorry you and your backward @ss opinions. You're in for a century of futile advocacy and admonition. Don't forget to watch your blood pressure.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 10:50:28 PM
At 4/27/2013 9:05:31 PM, 000ike wrote:

I feel sorry you and your backward @ss opinions. You're in for a century of futile advocacy and admonition. Don't forget to watch your blood pressure.

Thanks. Likewise we feel sorry for you. We feel sorry you have no inkling beyond the material world. We can not help you get baby fed science and now it is all you relate to like a crack addict. But, there is recovery for you. Dont forget in the future when your surroundings are hot, don't forget to think your way out.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 11:04:52 PM

I disagree with teaching divine creation in the classroom just as much as I disagree with this.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 11:20:23 PM

What does this have to do with religion?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 11:46:30 PM
It does seem pretty bad. I wonder if Fox News reported it accurately. At the moment I am with Medic, but I'll comment more after checking with an unbiased news source.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 11:57:54 PM
At 4/27/2013 11:51:57 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Medic, I can't find it on any other news source. Are you sure it is legit?

here's a Washington times article on it:

http://www.washingtontimes.com...
Debate.org Moderator
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:05:56 AM
Conservatives admit that the Washington times is biased in favor of the conservative side:

http://newsroom.ucla.edu...

I am looking for an unbiased source. The first study by UCLA which conservatives like to cite in debates show Fox News and the Washington Times to be THE MOST conservative news networks in the country.

So, it is just Fox and WT claim that it happenned?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:06:15 AM
At 4/27/2013 11:57:54 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/27/2013 11:51:57 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Medic, I can't find it on any other news source. Are you sure it is legit?

here's a Washington times article on it:

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

Anyways, this incident is pretty ridiculous...

"We may require more notification to parents in the future," he said, adding that the workshop is required under the New York Dignity for All Students Act, which targets bullying, CBN News reports."

If you can't count on bureaucrats to know what's best for your children who can you count on.

-_-
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:09:19 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:05:56 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Conservatives admit that the Washington times is biased in favor of the conservative side:

http://newsroom.ucla.edu...

I am looking for an unbiased source. The first study by UCLA which conservatives like to cite in debates show Fox News and the Washington Times to be THE MOST conservative news networks in the country.

So, it is just Fox and WT claim that it happenned?

You aren't going to find an unbiased source. But this incident has been widely reported on. I think we can be pretty confident that this "anti-bullying workshop" actually took place and that it involved some kinda of "lesbian' roleplaying" thing... although that is a bit more dramatic than it really was... It involved girls asking other girls for a kiss, and nothing further from what I can tell... Regardless, I fail to see what they were trying to achieve and how they failed to realize that some parents were going to be upset about it.
Debate.org Moderator
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:09:55 AM
LOL. CBN news is CHRISTIAN news: https://www.google.com...

Did this actually happen or are conservative christians just making this up. No doubt the language is tilted in a way to make the school like bad. Why can't I find this in an unbiased news source?
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:11:26 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:09:55 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Did this actually happen or are conservative christians just making this up. No doubt the language is tilted in a way to make the school like bad. Why can't I find this in an unbiased news source?

I can't find it either... Seems like only the right wing and religious are stating their outrage, and only those outlets actually reporting it... Actually makes this appropriate for the religion forum then.
Debate.org Moderator
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:13:12 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:09:19 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

You aren't going to find an unbiased source. But this incident has been widely reported on. I think we can be pretty confident that this "anti-bullying workshop" actually took place and that it involved some kinda of "lesbian' roleplaying" thing... although that is a bit more dramatic than it really was... It involved girls asking other girls for a kiss, and nothing further from what I can tell... Regardless, I fail to see what they were trying to achieve and how they failed to realize that some parents were going to be upset about it.

If it truly happened the way FOX says it happened, then I completely agree with you. My objection is that the news source probably lied/distorted some aspect of it. I agree that it is widely reported on. Fox, CBN, WT and a bunch of secondhand reports that copy Fox's story. I wonder why CNN, ABC, Associated Press, PBS, or CBS did not report it.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:20:31 AM
At 4/27/2013 10:50:28 PM, Pennington wrote:

Thanks. Likewise we feel sorry for you. We feel sorry you have no inkling beyond the material world. We can not help you get baby fed science and now it is all you relate to like a crack addict. But, there is recovery for you. Dont forget in the future when your surroundings are hot, don't forget to think your way out.

I used to idolize the guy in Prison Break and think it would be totally badass if someone could pull off a "prison break" from Hell.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:20:41 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:13:12 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

If it truly happened the way FOX says it happened, then I completely agree with you. My objection is that the news source probably lied/distorted some aspect of it. I agree that it is widely reported on. Fox, CBN, WT and a bunch of secondhand reports that copy Fox's story. I wonder why CNN, ABC, Associated Press, PBS, or CBS did not report it.

It's probably being dramatized a bit. Though the theme and execution does seem to be mostly inappropriate for 13-14 year old children to me... and that's based on the few opinion articles I've read about it.

It is strange that no other news outlets have reported on it yet, but railing against teachers (and public education in general) is more the arena of the right... Not something the outlets you mentioned are all that inclined to take part in as much.
Debate.org Moderator
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:22:30 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:13:12 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

FOX news is wrong?? :O what heresy...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:24:47 AM
See, here's why I'd like a more detailed source: the Fox news article said that it was to help the girls learn to say no...which really strongly implies there was no forced kissing. It seems like these kids were being put in "the shoes" of other kids.

The condom bit seems weird, but also nonsensical in context, so I want to know more about that.

On the face of it, this story makes little enough sense that I know more is missing, so I don't think its fair for any of us to get too hot under the collar about it.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:25:35 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:20:31 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I used to idolize the guy in Prison Break and think it would be totally badass if someone could pull off a "prison break" from Hell.

I really enjoyed Prison Break... Watched the whole series on Netflix in about a month. I thought the plot and all of the characters were well written and even the "bad guys" were sympathetic in their own way.

As for the theological aspect of your comment: If Hell actually exists, I'd imagine its a bit more difficult to break out of then a maximum security prison... But that'd be an interesting plot... Wasn't that part of the story in the Cuba Gooding movie: What Dreams May Come... or something like that... I don't remember that movie well, but I think Robin Williams had to get his wife out of hell or something... I could be wrong.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:29:52 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:24:47 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
See, here's why I'd like a more detailed source: the Fox news article said that it was to help the girls learn to say no...which really strongly implies there was no forced kissing. It seems like these kids were being put in "the shoes" of other kids.

The condom bit seems weird, but also nonsensical in context, so I want to know more about that.

On the face of it, this story makes little enough sense that I know more is missing, so I don't think its fair for any of us to get too hot under the collar about it.

I'm not outraged, even if the article is entirely factual. These kids can go home and ask their parents what exactly was the point of the exercise and hopefully some actual parenting will be done.

I'm really just wondering and confused by how they think this was supposed to stop bullying. Giving the bullied kids tazers would have probably been more productive and caused less outrage by some of the parents.
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:36:54 AM
The Poughkeepsie Journal article linked to in the article makes things quite a bit clearer, that the intention WAS to teach kids how to say "no" to unwanted sexual advances (I originally had a pasted quote FTA, but the way iPad does tabs is weird, first it refreshed this page and I lost what I had, then it refreshed the Poughkeepsie Journal page enough that it booted me out as though I'd already looked at all the "free" articles I was allowed to).

It did say that there was a Posting from the school saying that sexual talk was prohibited, and the exercise was gender separated, and was about teaching kids to say "no" to unwanted sexual advances.

This should not be a controversial teaching topic for pubescent kids.

There was nothing about the condoms bit in the Poughkeepsie article...I wager that if it's actually true, it was part of some overall exercise (probably with the overall point of "don't call women sluts")
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:41:01 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:25:35 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I really enjoyed Prison Break... Watched the whole series on Netflix in about a month. I thought the plot and all of the characters were well written and even the "bad guys" were sympathetic in their own way.

If I recall, the show went downhill, but specifically, I can't remember where anymore. All I know now is that I want to watch it again lol

As for the theological aspect of your comment: If Hell actually exists, I'd imagine its a bit more difficult to break out of then a maximum security prison...

It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't challenging.

But that'd be an interesting plot... Wasn't that part of the story in the Cuba Gooding movie: What Dreams May Come... or something like that... I don't remember that movie well, but I think Robin Williams had to get his wife out of hell or something... I could be wrong.

Can't say. I've heard of the movie you're referring to, but only vaguely. It's another one on my backlog of movies to watch (love Robin Williams, by the way).
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:44:07 AM
Yes, that is the plot of What Dreams May Come, although it winds up that Hell is a prison that a person puts themselves in, rather than a "true" prison.

Now, Drive Angry deals with the aftermath of a breakout from hell, and is awesome.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:49:47 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:41:01 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 4/28/2013 12:25:35 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

If I recall, the show went downhill, but specifically, I can't remember where anymore. All I know now is that I want to watch it again lol

I think it dragged in the 4th season, but picked up in the 5th. I don't recall much anymore but I recall really liking and being moved by the ending. Perhaps I'm just a softy for romanticized and touchy endings. (At the risk of getting a dozen evil looks, I also liked the ending of Lost... Though I watched it all on netflix in a few months and wasn't invested for years like those who talk endlessly about how much they hate it)...

Either way, I think I'm gona watch PB again... I hope its still on NetFlix instant.

As for the theological aspect of your comment: If Hell actually exists, I'd imagine its a bit more difficult to break out of then a maximum security prison...

It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't challenging.

Agreed, and there probably isn't a more compelling location for a break out than Hell.

John Carpenter can direct "Escape from Hell" and Kurt Russell could star. It'd be fabulously mediocre.

But that'd be an interesting plot... Wasn't that part of the story in the Cuba Gooding movie: What Dreams May Come... or something like that... I don't remember that movie well, but I think Robin Williams had to get his wife out of hell or something... I could be wrong.

Can't say. I've heard of the movie you're referring to, but only vaguely. It's another one on my backlog of movies to watch (love Robin Williams, by the way).

I saw it years ago, so I can't actually recommend it since I don't even remember if it was any good. But I like Gooding and Robin Williams so it was an easy choice for me.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:51:34 AM
At 4/28/2013 12:44:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Yes, that is the plot of What Dreams May Come, although it winds up that Hell is a prison that a person puts themselves in, rather than a "true" prison.

Now, Drive Angry deals with the aftermath of a breakout from hell, and is awesome.

Well now I guess I don't need to see that movie again -_-

Hmmm I've never even heard of Angry Deals but that sounds pretty cool... I'll have to check it out.
Debate.org Moderator
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 12:56:39 AM
At 4/27/2013 11:46:30 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
It does seem pretty bad. I wonder if Fox News reported it accurately. At the moment I am with Medic, but I'll comment more after checking with an unbiased news source.

I doubt you'll find an unbiased source on this issue. It didn't seem to be reported at all by the typically more liberal sources. Wonder why??
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 1:07:13 AM

So do you just assume that if it is said by a Christian that it must be a lie??

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 1:10:09 AM
At 4/28/2013 1:07:13 AM, medic0506 wrote:

So do you just assume that if it is said by a Christian that it must be a lie??

No, I assume that it will be biased. If a news source called itself "Liberal News Network," would you expect unbiased reports or just reports that Liberals would like?