Jump to topic:

Old or Young Earth

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 3:54:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
There is a split between Christians everywhere. One believes in a old earth and universe and ones believe in a new earth and universe. I have had a recent discussion about this and defended YEC in both debate and on the forums. This does not mean I believe fully in YEC. Matter fact it is good to play both sides and see both points and weigh them. Like in another recent discussion about slavery and people thinking it is a eternal immorality. Just because we think slavery is wrong does not make it so. All slavery is not immoral, ones that are slaves who are beat or killed or raped, well of course that is immoral. The premise of slavery is that one serves another just like we serve God. As Christian we are to serve Christians and non-Christians alike. Jesus has given us that commandment to be servants. I have much Biblical doctrine that makes me believe that YEC is possible just by straightforward language. Though there is one straightforward passage(s) that shows a Old Earth. And here they are:

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

There earth is formless and without purpose. God does not create things without purpose or better yet, He does not make things that are not perfect.

Jeremiah 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. 24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. 25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. 26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord, and by his fierce anger. 27 For thus hath the Lord said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end. 28 For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black; because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.

This sounds like God destroyed the earth and before He did there were creatures and beings who lived on it. God then punished them and had wrath against them and destroys the earth making it formless and void. God then places man here 6 thousand years ago.

This is not my belief but just a point of view. My belief does not rely on this sort of thing but it is interesting discussion.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 4:04:49 AM
That looks more like He recycled the earth and gave it a purpose ( or a new purpose), so it still souds like the earth is old from the verses you've mentioned.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2013 5:36:43 AM
At 4/28/2013 4:04:49 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
That looks more like He recycled the earth and gave it a purpose ( or a new purpose), so it still souds like the earth is old from the verses you've mentioned.

Sounds like it.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...