Jump to topic:

What do you think of this question on Evoluti

1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:43:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
According to evolution why did laughter evolve?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 3:10:56 AM
At 4/30/2013 1:43:27 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

I've wondered that myself. I guess you could argue that laughter facilitates social cohesion and bonding, which helps survival.

Another thing I've wondered is why we have the capacity to appreciate natural beauty, music, and art. I can understand why we might appreciate beauty in the opposite sex, but that's a completely different kind of appreciation. There's a difference between being attracted to somebody because of their looks, and enjoying the sound of music or the site of a sunrise.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 3:39:28 AM
Hahahaha

Those who are pro-evolution will find atwisted answer, and those who are against will take you question as invalidation to evolustion theory.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 3:48:42 AM

Um, Darwin wrote a lot on this sort of subject... I have his work on facial expressions here at home but I've never read it. There's an entire field called Gelotology which studies laughter and its effects, though. I don't think there's a consensus yet on how it evolved. To me it seems like a psychosocial way of projecting our emotions to others involuntarily, like crying.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
EliAchphet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 6:15:07 AM

Why care? Why design anything?
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 11:42:45 AM
At 4/30/2013 6:15:07 AM, EliAchphet wrote:

Why care? Why design anything?

?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 1:14:50 PM

To form an expression.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 5:07:46 PM
Why does anything evolve? Because it increased one's chances of survival.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 5:36:35 PM

It's important to think of emotions not simply as indicators for the self but as a signaling mechanism during interpersonal communication.

Laughter is a social mechanism which allows for the diffusion of tension. It may have existed in some pre-adapted form that was later coopted for group use (there are two ways of smiling/laughing, one of which is so innate blind/deaf people do it).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
StevenDixon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 6:43:03 PM
At 4/30/2013 3:39:28 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
Hahahaha

Those who are pro-evolution will find atwisted answer, and those who are against will take you question as invalidation to evolustion theory.

This shows how horrible your critical thinking skills are.

Even if we didn't know, that's all that means. Not knowing a particular answer in no way invalidates the theory of evolution, it would just mean we don't know. But oh no...not according to your backwards way of thinking, if we have any gap in our knowledge that obviously invalidates the entirety of the theory of evolution.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 2:10:12 AM

Millllions of years ago there was this mutation that was waiting for just the right time to appear. The first amphibian, Tiktaalik, laid an egg (pardon the pun) and that egg hatched a Hyena, explaining the mutation. Being the only one of his kind, he had to work quickly to find a mate. The amphibians didn't find him attractive but they were his only hope, so he had to develop an attribute that made them forget about how ugly he was. He just kept making different noises until one of them repeated the same noise. It was obviously her sign of approval, so he kept making that noise and she kept repeating. They fell in love, got married, and had plenty of little mutated egg babies. Natural selection took it from there and soon all Hyenas were programmed to laugh. And there you have it, the evolutionary history of the Laughing Hyena, and the answer for why laughter evolved, survival of the species.

Moral of the just-so story: Guys no matter how ugly you are, if you can make the ladies laugh, eventually you're gonna score.

http://www.webanswers.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 4:12:38 AM
At 5/1/2013 2:10:12 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Millllions of years ago there was this mutation that was waiting for just the right time to appear. The first amphibian, Tiktaalik, laid an egg (pardon the pun) and that egg hatched a Hyena, explaining the mutation.

It did not. I don't know when you are joking and when you are dead serious.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:31:59 AM
At 4/30/2013 3:10:56 AM, philochristos wrote:

I've wondered that myself. I guess you could argue that laughter facilitates social cohesion and bonding, which helps survival.

Another thing I've wondered is why we have the capacity to appreciate natural beauty, music, and art. I can understand why we might appreciate beauty in the opposite sex, but that's a completely different kind of appreciation. There's a difference between being attracted to somebody because of their looks, and enjoying the sound of music or the site of a sunrise.

Concepts like humor and beauty didn't "evolve" in us because they were genetic anomalies that advanced the species. I think they were possibilities that were opened up to us by the transcendence of our consciousness.

Think of it this way: we may have developed the idea of using tools to better feed ourselves. But once we assimilated that idea into our species, it opened up all kinds of other new possibilities to us that were not directly related to evolution. We could use tools to make more tools. And we could use tools to express ourselves in the form of 'art'. These were not the direct result of evolution, they were an indirect result of it. Yet though these indirect results, we humans have transcended the species that we were when we learned to use tools to get food.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 10:55:36 AM
At 5/1/2013 4:12:38 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Millllions of years ago there was this mutation that was waiting for just the right time to appear. The first amphibian, Tiktaalik, laid an egg (pardon the pun) and that egg hatched a Hyena, explaining the mutation.

It did not. I don't know when you are joking and when you are dead serious.

lol...It was a joking reference to Goldschmidt's hopeful monster (saltation). One example I saw a while back said that a reptile laid an egg and a bird hatched from it. This was a play on that example, though I'm not sure that Goldschmidt actually used that particular example. It could have been a creationist with a sense of humor very similar to mine, as it sounds like something I would say.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 11:30:23 AM
At 4/30/2013 3:10:56 AM, philochristos wrote:

This is the form of the traditional answer from Darwinian evolution. The first thing to note is that this is an explanation of why a feature was selected, but not an explanation of why the feature would have emerged in the first place.

The second thing to note, which I think is an impossible hurdle for evolution to surmount, is that the laughter feature would require - how many - millions? - of sequential random mutations, affecting wide areas of the body from skeletal system to CNS, to emerge. Why should all the interim mutations be selected? The traditional answer to that is "they [the interim mutations] provided some other advantage". But that just raises the statistical bar - not only must there be a chain of mutations leading to laughter, but each sequential mutation must provide some unrelated interim function.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 11:38:37 AM

And I suspect, btw, that the answer to the broader question "Why do we laugh" is quite complex. It's like a time when I had dental problems and couldn't chew normally, leading to jaw muscle aches. It occurred to me that yawning partly serves to stretch our jaw muscles, a purpose pretty much unrelated to being tired.
This space for rent.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2013 6:58:54 PM

Millllions of years ago there was this mutation that was waiting for just the right time to appear. The first amphibian, Tiktaalik, laid an egg (pardon the pun) and that egg hatched a Hyena, explaining the mutation. Being the only one of his kind, he had to work quickly to find a mate. The amphibians didn't find him attractive but they were his only hope, so he had to develop an attribute that made them forget about how ugly he was. He just kept making different noises until one of them repeated the same noise. It was obviously her sign of approval, so he kept making that noise and she kept repeating. They fell in love, got married, and had plenty of little mutated egg babies. Natural selection took it from there and soon all Hyenas were programmed to laugh. And there you have it, the evolutionary history of the Laughing Hyena, and the answer for why laughter evolved, survival of the species.

Moral of the just-so story: Guys no matter how ugly you are, if you can make the ladies laugh, eventually you're gonna score.

http://www.webanswers.com...

Makes sense.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA