Total Posts:63|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt

Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 7:01:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

If it was wrong for God to do that, I'd like to know who was forbidding him.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 7:09:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are you asking, assuming the god of the Bible exists and actually did that, is it wrong? Or is it something along the lines of "Do our ethical beliefs cast doubt on the idea that the God of the Bible is described correctly in this part of scripture?" There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for discussion on the first one, hence philochristos' response, but the second one seems more open to discussion. Sorry if I'm not being clear. :|
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 7:21:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 7:01:22 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

If it was wrong for God to do that, I'd like to know who was forbidding him.

I believe it was wrong for him to do that. No one was forbidding him. That doesn't make his actions ok.
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 7:24:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 7:01:22 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

If it was wrong for God to do that, I'd like to know who was forbidding him.

Do you believe actions can only be right or wrong if someone says they are?
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 7:46:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 7:24:45 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:01:22 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

If it was wrong for God to do that, I'd like to know who was forbidding him.

Do you believe actions can only be right or wrong if someone says they are?

Yes. An action can't be wrong unless it violates some kind of rule, and there can't be a rule if nobody is making it, imposing it, or enforcing it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 8:33:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll just quote myself quoting Gregory of Nyssa from some months ago:

"Gregory of Nyssa - vaunted Church Father - FTW:

'How would a concept worthy of God be preserved in the description of what happened if one looked only to the history? The Egyptian acts unjustly, and in his place is punished his newborn child, who in his infancy cannot discern what is good and what is not. His life has no experience of evil, for infancy is not capable of passion. He does not know to distinguish between his right and his left. The infant lifts his eyes only to his mother"s nipple, and tears are the sole perceptible sign of his sadness. And if he obtains anything which his nature desires, he signifies pleasure by smiling. If such a one now pays the penalty of his father"s wickedness, where is justice? Where is piety? Where is holiness? Where is Ezekiel, who cries: The man who has sinned is the man who must die and a son is not to suffer for the sins of his father? How can the history so contradict reason?'"
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 9:29:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 7:46:10 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:24:45 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:01:22 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

If it was wrong for God to do that, I'd like to know who was forbidding him.

Do you believe actions can only be right or wrong if someone says they are?

Yes. An action can't be wrong unless it violates some kind of rule, and there can't be a rule if nobody is making it, imposing it, or enforcing it.

Why do you think there can be no rule if nobody is making it, imposing it, or enforcing it? As a counter-example many people consider the rules of mathematics to be necessary facts or in other words, they are universal and always true no matter what. These rules are not being made by anyone, imposed by anyone, or enforced by anyone.
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2013 10:15:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 7:09:59 PM, Rusty wrote:
Are you asking, assuming the god of the Bible exists and actually did that, is it wrong? Or is it something along the lines of "Do our ethical beliefs cast doubt on the idea that the God of the Bible is described correctly in this part of scripture?" There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for discussion on the first one, hence philochristos' response, but the second one seems more open to discussion. Sorry if I'm not being clear. :|

There is an option number 3. What we are doing is analyzing the deity portrayed in the bible and are asking whether it is likely that this character did the right thing when it came to the ten plagues.

Arguing that these actions are right because you assume that this being both exists and is omni-benevolent is just that, an assumption. Assuming that we do not have the capability to make moral judgement is also an assumption and defeats the purpose of this thread.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 12:06:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 10:15:29 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:09:59 PM, Rusty wrote:
Are you asking, assuming the god of the Bible exists and actually did that, is it wrong? Or is it something along the lines of "Do our ethical beliefs cast doubt on the idea that the God of the Bible is described correctly in this part of scripture?" There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for discussion on the first one, hence philochristos' response, but the second one seems more open to discussion. Sorry if I'm not being clear. :|

There is an option number 3. What we are doing is analyzing the deity portrayed in the bible and are asking whether it is likely that this character did the right thing when it came to the ten plagues.

I guess my confusion comes from the 'portrayed in the Bible' part. To me, if we talk about the God 'of the Bible,' it sounds like we're supposing that, for the sake of analysis, the actions and other things attributed to Him would be accurate if he existed.

So when you say "If the God of the Bible existed, was it right for him to do such and such?" you seem to be using a thought (the Bible would accurately depict God if the god of the Bible existed) that would also lead us to think that God is wholly good.

The short of it is this: I don't see how you can have talks like this while assuming inerrancy, even if it's of the hypothetical sort. I mean, if we take the 'God of the Bible' to mean the God who is accurately depicted in the Bible (which seems to be the case, given our emphasis on the Biblical description of the plagues), and that God is also depicted as being wholly good, how could we have ethical inquiries like this about his actions?

So, to have any sort of meaningful discussion about this, it seems like you would have to do away with idea that the "deity depicted in the Bible" means the deity accurately depicted in the Bible. And if that's the case, then "Do our ethical beliefs cast doubt on the idea that the God of the Bible is described correctly in this part of scripture?" does seem to be a fitting follow-up question if we want to be able to have discussion.


Arguing that these actions are right because you assume that this being both exists and is omni-benevolent is just that, an assumption.
Assuming that we do not have the capability to make moral judgement is also an assumption and defeats the purpose of this thread.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 12:10:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 8:33:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'll just quote myself quoting Gregory of Nyssa from some months ago:

"Gregory of Nyssa - vaunted Church Father - FTW:

'How would a concept worthy of God be preserved in the description of what happened if one looked only to the history? The Egyptian acts unjustly, and in his place is punished his newborn child, who in his infancy cannot discern what is good and what is not. His life has no experience of evil, for infancy is not capable of passion. He does not know to distinguish between his right and his left. The infant lifts his eyes only to his mother"s nipple, and tears are the sole perceptible sign of his sadness. And if he obtains anything which his nature desires, he signifies pleasure by smiling. If such a one now pays the penalty of his father"s wickedness, where is justice? Where is piety? Where is holiness? Where is Ezekiel, who cries: The man who has sinned is the man who must die and a son is not to suffer for the sins of his father? How can the history so contradict reason?'"

Lol, I don't know if you've ever seen The Office but the underlined part reminded me so much of this...

http://i.imgur.com...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 12:25:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 9:29:21 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:46:10 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:24:45 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:01:22 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

If it was wrong for God to do that, I'd like to know who was forbidding him.

Do you believe actions can only be right or wrong if someone says they are?

Yes. An action can't be wrong unless it violates some kind of rule, and there can't be a rule if nobody is making it, imposing it, or enforcing it.

Why do you think there can be no rule if nobody is making it, imposing it, or enforcing it? As a counter-example many people consider the rules of mathematics to be necessary facts or in other words, they are universal and always true no matter what. These rules are not being made by anyone, imposed by anyone, or enforced by anyone.

http://xkcd.com...
AbnerGrimm
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 2:14:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

You seem to be presuming that the people were all innocent. A leader without followers is powerless.

Anyway, there are numerous verses that say man is not capable of understanding Gods ways.

"No one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11

"Then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it." Ecclesiastes 8:17

"Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things. Just as you do not understand the way of the spirit in the womb of a pregnant mother, so also you do not know what God is doing in everything he makes." Ecclesiastes 11:5 (2 ways of reading the verse)

Also:
Exodus 33:20
Deuteronomy 29:29
Isaiah 40:28
Isaiah 55:8
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 25:2
Job 5:9
Job 11:7
Job 28:12
Job 28:23
Job 36:26
Job 37:5
Ecclesiastes 7:23-24
Psalm 73:16
Psalm 139:6
Psalm 145:3
Psalm 147:5
Romans 11:33

Finally, by what moral standard would you judge God?
Most believers in the Bible would say that the standard is Gods will.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 2:50:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 2:14:40 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

You seem to be presuming that the people were all innocent. A leader without followers is powerless.


Anyway, there are numerous verses that say man is not capable of understanding Gods ways.

"No one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11

"Then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it." Ecclesiastes 8:17

"Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things. Just as you do not understand the way of the spirit in the womb of a pregnant mother, so also you do not know what God is doing in everything he makes." Ecclesiastes 11:5 (2 ways of reading the verse)

Also:
Exodus 33:20
Deuteronomy 29:29
Isaiah 40:28
Isaiah 55:8
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 25:2
Job 5:9
Job 11:7
Job 28:12
Job 28:23
Job 36:26
Job 37:5
Ecclesiastes 7:23-24
Psalm 73:16
Psalm 139:6
Psalm 145:3
Psalm 147:5
Romans 11:33

Finally, by what moral standard would you judge God?
Most believers in the Bible would say that the standard is Gods will.

You don't see any danger in the "Well, God's ways are God's ways... we won't understand them...." response? If the Bible said that it was right to rape children in front of their parents while laughing at them, would you be convinced by someone who gave an answer similar to yours?
AbnerGrimm
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 2:55:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 2:50:31 PM, Rusty wrote:

You don't see any danger in the "Well, God's ways are God's ways... we won't understand them...." response?:

Nope. You exhibit the same attitude the Egyptians had.

If the Bible said that it was right to rape children in front of their parents while laughing at them, would you be convinced by someone who gave an answer similar to yours?:

Point is, it don't.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:05:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 2:55:35 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/3/2013 2:50:31 PM, Rusty wrote:

You don't see any danger in the "Well, God's ways are God's ways... we won't understand them...." response?:

Nope. You exhibit the same attitude the Egyptians had.

Bravo for intellectual dishonesty.


If the Bible said that it was right to rape children in front of their parents while laughing at them, would you be convinced by someone who gave an answer similar to yours?:

Point is, it don't.

That's actually nothing to do with the point. Do you want to try again? If the Bible said that it was right to rape children in front of their parents while laughing at them, would you be convinced by someone who gave a similar answer?

Don't bother responding if you aren't going to do either of the following: (a) Answer the question, or (b) explain why the question is nonsense.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:10:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.

No doubt Moses warned the Egyptian children and infants, too, right?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
AbnerGrimm
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:25:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 3:10:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.

No doubt Moses warned the Egyptian children and infants, too, right?

Did he have to? Can you say he did not? Are you going to claim that the Hebrews slaves did not spread this warning nor the Egyptian people?
AbnerGrimm
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:28:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 3:05:47 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 5/3/2013 2:55:35 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/3/2013 2:50:31 PM, Rusty wrote:

You don't see any danger in the "Well, God's ways are God's ways... we won't understand them...." response?:

Nope. You exhibit the same attitude the Egyptians had.

Bravo for intellectual dishonesty.

Funny. You call it dishonest, I call it hitting the nail on the head.

If the Bible said that it was right to rape children in front of their parents while laughing at them, would you be convinced by someone who gave an answer similar to yours?:

Point is, it don't.

That's actually nothing to do with the point. Do you want to try again? If the Bible said that it was right to rape children in front of their parents while laughing at them, would you be convinced by someone who gave a similar answer?

Don't bother responding if you aren't going to do either of the following: (a) Answer the question, or (b) explain why the question is nonsense.:

It has everything to do with the point. Your analogy has no comparison to the OP. So, No.
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 3:59:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 12:06:55 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 5/2/2013 10:15:29 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 5/2/2013 7:09:59 PM, Rusty wrote:
Are you asking, assuming the god of the Bible exists and actually did that, is it wrong? Or is it something along the lines of "Do our ethical beliefs cast doubt on the idea that the God of the Bible is described correctly in this part of scripture?" There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for discussion on the first one, hence philochristos' response, but the second one seems more open to discussion. Sorry if I'm not being clear. :|

There is an option number 3. What we are doing is analyzing the deity portrayed in the bible and are asking whether it is likely that this character did the right thing when it came to the ten plagues.

I guess my confusion comes from the 'portrayed in the Bible' part. To me, if we talk about the God 'of the Bible,' it sounds like we're supposing that, for the sake of analysis, the actions and other things attributed to Him would be accurate if he existed.

This debate does not assume anything about God. It only asks what the actions attributed to him reflect on his character. Maybe those are not his actions, but we are only concerned about the actions attributed to him. We are not making any assumptions, we are only analyzing the ethical implications of God's supposed actions.

So when you say "If the God of the Bible existed, was it right for him to do such and such?" you seem to be using a thought (the Bible would accurately depict God if the god of the Bible existed) that would also lead us to think that God is wholly good.

No, I am not assuming God is wholly good. If I was, then the whole point of asking if God's actions is good is a waste of time because we already know the answer. I am not assuming God is good, God exists, or that God did the things written about in the bible. <b>I am only taking a look at the actions attributed to him and asking if they are ethical.</b>

I am more concerned about the actions rather than the person.
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 4:01:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.

Show that the people were not stubborn? Are you including the children who died of starvation, plague, and death of the first born?
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 4:04:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 2:14:40 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

You seem to be presuming that the people were all innocent. A leader without followers is powerless.

...And no leader has the full support of all his followers.

Anyway, there are numerous verses that say man is not capable of understanding Gods ways.

That assumes the God of the bible is in fact perfect. Can you justify that assumption?

"No one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11

"Then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it." Ecclesiastes 8:17

"Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things. Just as you do not understand the way of the spirit in the womb of a pregnant mother, so also you do not know what God is doing in everything he makes." Ecclesiastes 11:5 (2 ways of reading the verse)

Also:
Exodus 33:20
Deuteronomy 29:29
Isaiah 40:28
Isaiah 55:8
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 25:2
Job 5:9
Job 11:7
Job 28:12
Job 28:23
Job 36:26
Job 37:5
Ecclesiastes 7:23-24
Psalm 73:16
Psalm 139:6
Psalm 145:3
Psalm 147:5
Romans 11:33

Finally, by what moral standard would you judge God?
Most believers in the Bible would say that the standard is Gods will.

One moral standard is not to create needless pain.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 6:42:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 3:25:11 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/3/2013 3:10:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.

No doubt Moses warned the Egyptian children and infants, too, right?

Did he have to? Can you say he did not? Are you going to claim that the Hebrews slaves did not spread this warning nor the Egyptian people?

So, are you going to claim that they warned the Egyptian children and infants (who wouldn't have the mental faculties developed to fully understand the warning anyways) that they were going to be killed for having the misfortune of being born Egyptian?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 6:46:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 12:10:47 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 5/2/2013 8:33:21 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'll just quote myself quoting Gregory of Nyssa from some months ago:

"Gregory of Nyssa - vaunted Church Father - FTW:

'How would a concept worthy of God be preserved in the description of what happened if one looked only to the history? The Egyptian acts unjustly, and in his place is punished his newborn child, who in his infancy cannot discern what is good and what is not. His life has no experience of evil, for infancy is not capable of passion. He does not know to distinguish between his right and his left. The infant lifts his eyes only to his mother"s nipple, and tears are the sole perceptible sign of his sadness. And if he obtains anything which his nature desires, he signifies pleasure by smiling. If such a one now pays the penalty of his father"s wickedness, where is justice? Where is piety? Where is holiness? Where is Ezekiel, who cries: The man who has sinned is the man who must die and a son is not to suffer for the sins of his father? How can the history so contradict reason?'"

Lol, I don't know if you've ever seen The Office but the underlined part reminded me so much of this...

http://i.imgur.com...

LOL!
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
AbnerGrimm
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 10:35:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 6:42:52 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/3/2013 3:25:11 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/3/2013 3:10:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.

No doubt Moses warned the Egyptian children and infants, too, right?

Did he have to? Can you say he did not? Are you going to claim that the Hebrews slaves did not spread this warning nor the Egyptian people?

So, are you going to claim that they warned the Egyptian children and infants (who wouldn't have the mental faculties developed to fully understand the warning anyways) that they were going to be killed for having the misfortune of being born Egyptian?

Doubt it was because they were born Egyptian but whatever. So, are you going to claim that they did not warn the Egyptian Children and infants? Furthermore, are you going to claim that the children and infants were harmed? Or did not go to heaven anyway? You make mighty big presumptions.
AbnerGrimm
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 10:36:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 4:01:52 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 5/3/2013 12:46:44 PM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
At 5/2/2013 5:54:53 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I am wondering what your views on the ethics of the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Is it right for God to take it out on the Egyptian people for the stubbornness of their leader?

The Bible says Moses warned Pharaoh but Pharaoh refused to listen. He still refused after he was told what would happen to his people. I think Pharaoh was to blame. Show me the people were not stubborn also.

Show that the people were not stubborn? Are you including the children who died of starvation, plague, and death of the first born?

Yes. Answer.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 3:35:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/3/2013 5:44:40 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 5/3/2013 4:23:20 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
God is always right!

Which one?

The creator , He who sent Moses, YHWH.The people of Pharaoh were persecuting the children of Israel anyways. and if the creator decidds that one is not worth living ? or is worth the punishment ?and you disagree out of ignorance, do you think you can do anything ? huh.