I came not to bring peace...

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:33:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
But a sword.

Can someone explain this verse to me in their own words? Practical modern-day applications would be helpful as well.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
AbnerGrimm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:45:54 AM
At 5/5/2013 7:33:54 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
But a sword.

Can someone explain this verse to me in their own words? Practical modern-day applications would be helpful as well.

Sure. Hello. (My interpretation of course) I think this means God is coming to judge the wicked who stand against Him and His Word. When He return's He will bring a double-edged sword for the armies of satan.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:07:46 AM
At 5/5/2013 7:45:54 AM, AbnerGrimm wrote:
But a sword.

Sure. Hello. (My interpretation of course) I think this means God is coming to judge the wicked who stand against Him and His Word. When He return's He will bring a double-edged sword for the armies of satan.

The passage is: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

There are no "modern-day" applications: the passage means the same as it meant 2,000 years ago. The "sword" is a reference to the whole of divine revelation, or the word of God:

"For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Heb 4: 12).

Along the same line:

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God ... " (Eph 6: 17)

The sword - the sword of the Spirit - does not and did not bring peace. It brings constant warfare, nor materialistic or carnal, but spiritually, as it causes man to see himself not through the rose-colored glasses through which he views himself, but rather as he really is. There is a sense that Jesus Christ brings to one the "peace that passeth all comprehension" - but it is not an outward or immediate thing: there is a lot of warfare within leading to that peace, and the peace is inward.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:06:37 AM
Interesting. Your answers are not what I was thinking of when I read it. You three seem to speak of simply describing God's distinction between good and evil, and his fight (if you could call it that) against evil. I had something different in mind.

Matthew 10:36
"Your enemies will be right in your own household!"

When I read the Bible, I look for practicality: how does this verse change how I should approach the world? What is Jesus telling me to do? I glaze over stories of miracles and things that don't seem to answer that question for me, but dwell on parables Jesus uses to reveal moral truth.

When I hear the verse in the OP, I think of missionaries, and otherwise those Christians who take their faith and inundate others with it. That is a question mark to me at this point in my education: how hard should we push our beliefs on others?

I know a particularly religious fellow who has a roommate who just got a new girlfriend; because he is a stout Christian, he has ordered his roommate not to have premarital sex in his house (the Christian guy owns the place). When I hear these two verses, I wonder about that situation (and others) and try to figure out if that is truly Jesus's message. Is the sword Jesus speaks of meant to be used in this way? Are the enemies in our own household to be struck with this sword over their heads so that they find the truth? Obviously Jesus wants us to do something, but exactly what confuses me. I have never respected the religious who beat others over the head, but at the same time we must help others find moral truth (find God). Should we simply lead by example, or a more direct approach? What guidelines can we hope to use in this matter?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:31:28 AM
But a sword.

"When He return's He will bring a double-edged sword for the armies of satan."

A sword? I am pretty sure my M16 could take care of that. I got my money on Satan's army.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 11:19:46 AM
At 5/5/2013 10:06:37 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Interesting. Your answers are not what I was thinking of when I read it. You three seem to speak of simply describing God's distinction between good and evil, and his fight (if you could call it that) against evil. I had something different in mind.

Matthew 10:36
"Your enemies will be right in your own household!"

When I read the Bible, I look for practicality: how does this verse change how I should approach the world? What is Jesus telling me to do? I glaze over stories of miracles and things that don't seem to answer that question for me, but dwell on parables Jesus uses to reveal moral truth.

When I hear the verse in the OP, I think of missionaries, and otherwise those Christians who take their faith and inundate others with it. That is a question mark to me at this point in my education: how hard should we push our beliefs on others?

I know a particularly religious fellow who has a roommate who just got a new girlfriend; because he is a stout Christian, he has ordered his roommate not to have premarital sex in his house (the Christian guy owns the place). When I hear these two verses, I wonder about that situation (and others) and try to figure out if that is truly Jesus's message. Is the sword Jesus speaks of meant to be used in this way? Are the enemies in our own household to be struck with this sword over their heads so that they find the truth? Obviously Jesus wants us to do something, but exactly what confuses me. I have never respected the religious who beat others over the head, but at the same time we must help others find moral truth (find God). Should we simply lead by example, or a more direct approach? What guidelines can we hope to use in this matter?

All my respect to the owner of the house, and I hope there would be more Christians like him.

I am not a Christian myself, when I explained what "sword" means I explained it from my mother tongue Arabic !! cause Jesus spoke Aramaic which is close to Arabic and Hebrew, and the interpreters of the verses should take that in consideration!

http://en.wikipedia.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:36:31 PM
At 5/5/2013 10:31:28 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
But a sword.

"When He return's He will bring a double-edged sword for the armies of satan."

A sword? I am pretty sure my M16 could take care of that. I got my money on Satan's army.

Your comment seems to be on par with your pic at least.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:38:25 PM
"All my respect to the owner of the house, and I hope there would be more Christians like him."

Anyone else agree or disagree with the Christian home-owner? Does the verse in the OP have anything to do with it or am I way off base?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 7:42:47 AM
At 5/5/2013 8:38:25 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
"All my respect to the owner of the house, and I hope there would be more Christians like him."

Anyone else agree or disagree with the Christian home-owner? Does the verse in the OP have anything to do with it or am I way off base?

He can choose what people do in his house.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:43:05 AM
At 5/6/2013 7:42:47 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 5/5/2013 8:38:25 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

He can choose what people do in his house.

I am not interested in that perspective. I want your interpretation of what Jesus would have to say about it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 9:51:10 AM
We can't speak for Jesus peace be upon him nor for God, if we do we will certainly diverge and bring million possibilities, what Jesus had to say He already said it, so we have to be content with what we already have and stop interpreting texts according to our desires.