Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

If there is one God, why so many religions?

proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 8:03:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A skeptic might ask, "Why doesn't God put His* foot down (at least metaphorically) and insist that people get with the correct program?"

For those theists who have answered this question before (more than once for some), I apologize in advance, but I can't remember seeing a good answer to this very basic question. (Yes, some folks have explained that God gives us the ability to doubt--and sin-- so that we can find the way ourselves. Somehow this doesn't quite cut it for the skeptic in me.)

The more straightforward (Occam's-razor-friendly) answer seems to me:

There are so many religions because so many different people thought it necessary to come up with a metaphysical answer to the questions "Why are we here" and "How should we live" and either:

(1) if there is a God, He doesn't care enough about the answers people come up with to insist that they get it right; or
(2) there is no God, as described by these many religions, and folks are just making stuff up--some of them knowingly, others naively.

*"His" because authoritarian, monotheistic religions that I'm aware of seem to also be pretty paternalistic.

You might also enjoy the thread "NEW Religion Thought Experiment"
http://www.debate.org...
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:04:13 PM
Common response: Free will.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:06:11 PM
At 5/7/2013 9:04:13 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

God's response: You have free will. Now use it exactly as I command you.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:53:41 PM
At 5/7/2013 9:06:11 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 5/7/2013 9:04:13 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

God's response: You have free will. Now use it exactly as I command you.

LOL! :D
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:10:02 AM
Test, you need to believe wit the evidence He sent, and follow the prophets accordingly, if He wanted he would have made us all one nation, but that's not the purpose of the creation, He already has the angels who are all one nation, all obedient.

For us it's different, He gave us brain, free will, evidence, and lifetime test.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 1:11:57 PM
Everyone sees the one true god, which is the god I grew up believing. However, prideful, arrogant, sinning people think they are better then god. So, they create false gods or even worse, do not believe in a god a all. These people are deserving of he'll and torture for choosing to reject the one true god everyone sees.

(I am not serious at all FYI)
ReannaOnDaRockZ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 1:37:19 PM
(2) there is no God, as described by these many religions, and folks are just making stuff up--some of them knowingly, others naively.

Sounds like the best conclusion to me.