Total Posts:42|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Define God

stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:35:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I think we should look at the text and let God be God.
That's circular, and not a definition.

So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?
What part suggests He is not the greatest conceivable being?
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:38:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?

ALL acclaimed Supernatural god(s) are 100% Human fabrication / conception and hence can be whatever those Human minds want them to be and based upon an intangible they call their ' Faith ' that what they conceived is true, despite the lack of legitimate evidence to support it!
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:42:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:35:56 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I think we should look at the text and let God be God.
That's circular, and not a definition.

I was not trying to use that as a definition. I was simply saying we should let God be God.

So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?
What part suggests He is not the greatest conceivable being?

Well that depends if you think God has changed his mind or not. For example in Isaiah or Hosea and others. Dr. Craig says that the only reason for someone to change their mind is if they acquire some sort of new reasoning, or learn something. Now, if you hold to the opinion that Dr. Craig does and you think the text shows God has changed his mind then you have admitted that God has learned something and by the most common definition of the greatest conceivable being, he would not be able to learn anything.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:44:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:42:22 PM, stubs wrote:
Well that depends if you think God has changed his mind or not. For example in Isaiah or Hosea and others. Dr. Craig says that the only reason for someone to change their mind is if they acquire some sort of new reasoning, or learn something. Now, if you hold to the opinion that Dr. Craig does and you think the text shows God has changed his mind then you have admitted that God has learned something and by the most common definition of the greatest conceivable being, he would not be able to learn anything.
Provide some concrete examples. The Bible makes some shifts in terms of God's commands, and abolishments of what He imposed as moral guidelines. Nonetheless -- the defense for that seems to be that He did not change His mind, but acted accordingly to what was necessary for people at certain times.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:45:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:38:07 PM, Composer wrote:
ALL acclaimed Supernatural god(s) are 100% Human fabrication / conception and hence can be whatever those Human minds want them to be and based upon an intangible they call their ' Faith ' that what they conceived is true, despite the lack of legitimate evidence to support it!
Aren't you supposed to be here Ma'am -- https://www.omh.ny.gov...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 7:52:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?

I totally agree with you that debates should be formulated to argue about God as He is portrayed in the Bible. That is why I rarely argue the PoE. Most people try to argue a definition of "omni"-benevolence, but the Bible clearly says that there are things that God hates, though He wishes that all would come to salvation. That's why I think most PoE arguments are basically pointless against God as He is portrayed in the Bible.
Talib.ul-Ilm
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:30:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
God's as Defined in Islam:

The Merciful, The Compassionate, The Sovereign, The Holy, The Flawless, The Giver of Faith, The Guardian, The Incomparable, The Compeller, The Proud, The Creator, The Maker of Perfect Harmony, The Shaper of Unique Beauty, The Forgiver, The Subduer, The Bestower, The Provider, The Opener, The Knower, The Constricter, The Expander, The Abaser, The Exalter, The Honorer, The Dishonorer, The All-Hearing, The All-Seeing, The Arbiter, The Just, The Subtle, The Aware, The Forebearer, The Magnificent, The Concealer of Faults, The Rewarder of Thankfulness, The Highest, The Great, The Preserver, The Maintainer, The Reckoner, The Majestic, The Generous, The Vigilant, The Responder to Prayer, The Vast, The Wise, The Loving, The Glorious, The Resurrector, The Witness, The Truth, The Trustee, The Strong, The Firm, The Friend, The Praised, The Appraiser, The Beginner, The Restorer, The Life-Giver, The Life-Taker, The Living, The Self-Existing, The Resourceful, The Noble, The Unique, The One, The Eternal, The Able, The Powerful, The Promoter, The Postponer, The First, The Last, The Manifest, The Hidden, The Governer, The Exalted, The Source of All Goodness, The Acceptor of Repentence, The Avenger, The Pardoner, The Clement, The King of Absolute Sovereignty, The Lord of Majesty and Generosity, The Equitable, The Gatherer, The Rich, The Enricher, The Protector, The Punisher, The Creator of the Beneficial, The Light, The Guide, The Originator, The Everlasting, The Inheritor, The Right in Guidance, The Patient.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:47:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?

One time I was thinking that if the theist proves that a maximally great being exists and is God, they just disproved the Christian God judging by The Bible lol

God should be defined as the being who governs reality, who is worthy of our worship, and who wants to have a meaningful relationship human beings.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:41:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 8:47:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
God should be defined as the being who governs reality, who is worthy of our worship, and who wants to have a meaningful relationship human beings.

I think that sounds a lot like the God described in the bible. I'm not sure if you disagree about the "worthy of worship" but I do think that your definition fits the description of the biblical God.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:51:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:44:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
Provide some concrete examples. The Bible makes some shifts in terms of God's commands, and abolishments of what He imposed as moral guidelines. Nonetheless -- the defense for that seems to be that He did not change His mind, but acted accordingly to what was necessary for people at certain times.

Jonah 3:10 "When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it."

Exodus 32:14 "And the LORD relented from the disaster that he had spoken of bringing on his people."

Jeremiah 26:19 "Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him to death? Did he not fear the LORD and entreat the favor of the LORD, and did not the LORD relent of the disaster that he had pronounced against them? But we are about to bring great disaster upon ourselves."

I'm not saying whether I believe God changes his mind or not, but these are verses that seems to imply that he does.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:56:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:41:30 PM, stubs wrote:
At 5/12/2013 8:47:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
God should be defined as the being who governs reality, who is worthy of our worship, and who wants to have a meaningful relationship human beings.

I think that sounds a lot like the God described in the bible. I'm not sure if you disagree about the "worthy of worship" but I do think that your definition fits the description of the biblical God.

Well if he exists he could be a being of worthy of worship, but I'm skeptical. If God exists then goodness necessarily follows from his nature regardless of choice. Don't theists believe that a meaningful being under Christianity is one who has a good and evil nature, but goes through things to over come it and maintain a good nature? What about God though? If goodness just follows necessarily from God's nature regardless of choice, then is worshiping God not just as meaningless as blaming gravity if you spill something? If something is bound by the necessity of their nature, then how is this being we can have a meaningful relationship with when we have to overcome an evil nature? Don't beings have to be on a certain frequency with regards to their nature for a meaningful relationship?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:03:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:51:08 PM, stubs wrote:
Jonah 3:10 "When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it."

Exodus 32:14 "And the LORD relented from the disaster that he had spoken of bringing on his people."

Jeremiah 26:19 "Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him to death? Did he not fear the LORD and entreat the favor of the LORD, and did not the LORD relent of the disaster that he had pronounced against them? But we are about to bring great disaster upon ourselves."

I'm not saying whether I believe God changes his mind or not, but these are verses that seems to imply that he does.
All it implies is that God would bring disasters upon those people on a certain condition. Since they did not go along that path, God had no reason to follow His word either, because it relied upon the people following their ways.

Consider this: I will do A if B happens. B does not happen, and I don't do A.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:06:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:56:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Well if he exists he could be a being of worthy of worship, but I'm skeptical. If God exists then goodness necessarily follows from his nature regardless of choice. Don't theists believe that a meaningful being under Christianity is one who has a good and evil nature, but goes through things to over come it and maintain a good nature?

I'll be honest, I didn't follow that at all.

What about God though? If goodness just follows necessarily from God's nature regardless of choice, then is worshiping God not just as meaningless as blaming gravity if you spill something?

I don't think it matters as much why it is worthy of worship. The fact would be that God, if he exists, is worthy of worship. Therefore, because he is worthy or worship, I would worship him. Even if he has no choice but to be worthy of worship I would still worship him.

If something is bound by the necessity of their nature, then how is this being we can have a meaningful relationship with when we have to overcome an evil nature? Don't beings have to be on a certain frequency with regards to their nature for a meaningful relationship?

I apologize but I don't really follow this last part either.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:09:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:03:24 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:51:08 PM, stubs wrote:
Jonah 3:10 "When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it."

Exodus 32:14 "And the LORD relented from the disaster that he had spoken of bringing on his people."

Jeremiah 26:19 "Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him to death? Did he not fear the LORD and entreat the favor of the LORD, and did not the LORD relent of the disaster that he had pronounced against them? But we are about to bring great disaster upon ourselves."

I'm not saying whether I believe God changes his mind or not, but these are verses that seems to imply that he does.
All it implies is that God would bring disasters upon those people on a certain condition. Since they did not go along that path, God had no reason to follow His word either, because it relied upon the people following their ways.

Consider this: I will do A if B happens. B does not happen, and I don't do A.

That's not what God says though. Consider the Jonah passage. "God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it." God said he would do A and did not do A. You are correct in saying that it was under a condition. In this it was their repentance. Since they repented he did not carry out the punishment. However, he said he was going to punish them. So back to what I said before, God said he was going to do A and then did not do A.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:13:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:06:25 PM, stubs wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:56:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Well if he exists he could be a being of worthy of worship, but I'm skeptical. If God exists then goodness necessarily follows from his nature regardless of choice. Don't theists believe that a meaningful being under Christianity is one who has a good and evil nature, but goes through things to over come it and maintain a good nature?

I'll be honest, I didn't follow that at all.

What about God though? If goodness just follows necessarily from God's nature regardless of choice, then is worshiping God not just as meaningless as blaming gravity if you spill something?

I don't think it matters as much why it is worthy of worship. The fact would be that God, if he exists, is worthy of worship. Therefore, because he is worthy or worship, I would worship him.

So if he is a child rapist he would be worthy of worship? I disagree. I think that it does matter why he should be considered worthy of worship.

Even if he has no choice but to be worthy of worship I would still worship him.

I did not say he had no choice but to be worthy of worship, I am saying that goodness following necessarily from his nature might not make him worthy of worship.


If something is bound by the necessity of their nature, then how is this being we can have a meaningful relationship with when we have to overcome an evil nature? Don't beings have to be on a certain frequency with regards to their nature for a meaningful relationship?

I apologize but I don't really follow this last part either.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time following.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:13:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:09:27 PM, stubs wrote:
That's not what God says though. Consider the Jonah passage. "God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it." God said he would do A and did not do A. You are correct in saying that it was under a condition. In this it was their repentance. Since they repented he did not carry out the punishment. However, he said he was going to punish them. So back to what I said before, God said he was going to do A and then did not do A.
You agreed with me -- the promise was based on a condition. If the condition is not fulfilled, then neither is the promise. This follows logically. If A then B - if not A, then not B either.

Furthermore -- the standard view is that God punishes evil-doers. In fact, He will punish them. Yet, repentance is always there to make God not punish one. That's because the condition required for punishment goes away with repentance.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:19:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:13:52 PM, Mirza wrote:
This follows logically. If A then B - if not A, then not B either.
Idiotic way to put it Ma'am - I'll elaborate later if needed.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:20:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:13:28 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
So if he is a child rapist he would be worthy of worship? I disagree. I think that it does matter why he should be considered worthy of worship.

I thought we were starting out with the simple premise that he was worthy of worship? I thought you were starting out agreeing that this being was worthy of worship.

I did not say he had no choice but to be worthy of worship, I am saying that goodness following necessarily from his nature might not make him worthy of worship.

Why would that make him not worthy of worship?

If something is bound by the necessity of their nature, then how is this being we can have a meaningful relationship with when we have to overcome an evil nature? Don't beings have to be on a certain frequency with regards to their nature for a meaningful relationship?

I apologize but I don't really follow this last part either.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time following.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time writing clearly (; haha jk brah
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:23:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:13:52 PM, Mirza wrote:
You agreed with me -- the promise was based on a condition. If the condition is not fulfilled, then neither is the promise. This follows logically. If A then B - if not A, then not B either.

Nah listen. According to Jonah 3:10 God said he would do A. Also according to Jonah 3:10 God decided not to do A. No "If B..."

Furthermore -- the standard view is that God punishes evil-doers. In fact, He will punish them. Yet, repentance is always there to make God not punish one. That's because the condition required for punishment goes away with repentance.
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:32:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You can't define God. That's why I'm an ignostic.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:35:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:32:48 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
You can't define God. That's why I'm an ignostic.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

also

http://en.wikipedia.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:40:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:20:37 PM, stubs wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:13:28 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
So if he is a child rapist he would be worthy of worship? I disagree. I think that it does matter why he should be considered worthy of worship.

I thought we were starting out with the simple premise that he was worthy of worship? I thought you were starting out agreeing that this being was worthy of worship.

I did not say he had no choice but to be worthy of worship, I am saying that goodness following necessarily from his nature might not make him worthy of worship.

Why would that make him not worthy of worship?

If something is bound by the necessity of their nature, then how is this being we can have a meaningful relationship with when we have to overcome an evil nature? Don't beings have to be on a certain frequency with regards to their nature for a meaningful relationship?

I apologize but I don't really follow this last part either.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time following.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time writing clearly (; haha jk brah

"I'm sorry you have such a hard time writing clearly (; haha jk brah"

Screw you stubs! I'm going to find where you live and egg your house.
Apeiron
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:41:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?

Many people's gods are too small... God however is by definition worthy of worship, and only a being who is the greatest possible being fits such a description. Moreover, there's biblical support for such a God.

(Deuteronomy 3:24 NIV) "O Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do?

(Deuteronomy 4:24 NIV) For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 33:27 NIV) The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

2 Samuel 22:32-34 NIV) For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?

(Psalms 33:11-13 NIV) But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. {12} Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance. {13} From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind;

Psalms 50:6 NIV) And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for God himself is judge.

(Luke 7:28 NIV) I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

(1 Corinthians 4:20 NIV) For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

(Galatians 6:7-8 NIV) Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.

Notice in all these versus, there is none greater than God. He is Holy and worthy of praise, not for what he's done, but for his axiological perfection.
Sola.Gratia
Posts: 278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 11:48:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?

"God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness and truth." ~catechism

John 4:24- God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.

Job 11:7- canst thou by searching find out God? Canst thou find out the almighty into perfection?

Psalm 90:2- before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou had at formed the earth and the work, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

James1:17- every good gift bad every perfect gift is from above, and comets down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Exodus 3:14- and God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Psalm 147:5- great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Revelation 4:8- holy, holy, holy, Lord God Aighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Revelation 15:4- who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? For thou art holy.

Exodus 34:6-7; and The LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, the LORD god, merciful and gracious, long suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty.
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 7:24:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:41:27 PM, Apeiron wrote:
Many people's gods are too small... God however is by definition worthy of worship, and only a being who is the greatest possible being fits such a description. Moreover, there's biblical support for such a God.



(Deuteronomy 3:24 NIV) "O Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do?

(Deuteronomy 4:24 NIV) For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 33:27 NIV) The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

2 Samuel 22:32-34 NIV) For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?

(Psalms 33:11-13 NIV) But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. {12} Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance. {13} From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind;

Psalms 50:6 NIV) And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for God himself is judge.

(Luke 7:28 NIV) I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

(1 Corinthians 4:20 NIV) For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

(Galatians 6:7-8 NIV) Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.


Notice in all these versus, there is none greater than God. He is Holy and worthy of praise, not for what he's done, but for his axiological perfection.

I agree with you that the bible states and implies that no one is greater than God. But I do not think it any of those verses you posted states or implies God is, essentially, the ultimate superhero.
Sola.Gratia
Posts: 278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 8:46:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/13/2013 7:24:41 PM, stubs wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:41:27 PM, Apeiron wrote:
Many people's gods are too small... God however is by definition worthy of worship, and only a being who is the greatest possible being fits such a description. Moreover, there's biblical support for such a God.



(Deuteronomy 3:24 NIV) "O Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do?

(Deuteronomy 4:24 NIV) For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 33:27 NIV) The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

2 Samuel 22:32-34 NIV) For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?

(Psalms 33:11-13 NIV) But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. {12} Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance. {13} From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind;

Psalms 50:6 NIV) And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for God himself is judge.

(Luke 7:28 NIV) I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

(1 Corinthians 4:20 NIV) For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

(Galatians 6:7-8 NIV) Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.


Notice in all these versus, there is none greater than God. He is Holy and worthy of praise, not for what he's done, but for his axiological perfection.

I agree with you that the bible states and implies that no one is greater than God. But I do not think it any of those verses you posted states or implies God is, essentially, the ultimate superhero.

Um, the topic wasn't about if God is a superhero, but to define God, buddy.. :)
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 9:07:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 7:32:07 PM, stubs wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot recently and want to get others opinions. On this site, for the most part, the traditional theistic God is defined as "The Greatest Conceivable Being" or a "Maximally Great Being." From a Christian standpoint I think there is a slight problem with this. I think what we usually try and do is turn God into the best superhero we can possibly imagine. The problem is, I'm not sure this is what the bible necessarily points to. I think we should look at the text and let God be God. So when doing debates, at least about the Christian God, God should be defined the God described in the Bible. What do you guys think?

I think dont think anyone really knows wat god is. He is a mystery. However I find it interesting that every culture has a god in one way shape or form. And he is always worshipped. People always believe that he needs to be pleased or followed. I want to believe in God. Because I think it would suck to die and not exist anymore. If you ask me God is an invention of men. And I think he is created out of desperation, stupidity or sheer genius. However I think that anyone who makes God seem like a super hero is an idiot. Heros aren't vengeful and most Gods are.