Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Statement for Atheists

Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:12:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:05:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
What if the Muslims are right?

Good question, but if the Muslims are right, the same would be true for atheists. I suppose the question could be "With this logic, why would any Atheist not give any religion a chance?" Your logic is good, but it does not refute my claim.
Pwner
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:18:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Actually, most Christians don't think that atheists will go to hell simply for not believing as their non-belief may not be their fault. But, your reasoning leads to contradiction as we'd have to hold numerous conflicting positions because they all threaten the unbeliever with hell.
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:24:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:18:03 PM, Pwner wrote:
Actually, most Christians don't think that atheists will go to hell simply for not believing as their non-belief may not be their fault. But, your reasoning leads to contradiction as we'd have to hold numerous conflicting positions because they all threaten the unbeliever with hell.

"For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16
The Bible teaches that the only to go to heaven is by believing in Jesus and God as well as accepting him as your Lord and Savior and repenting. A non Christian may be the nicest person in the world, but will still go to hell for not believing in Jesus. It is the cold hard truth, but it is the truth, so why not consider Christianity, or at least religion in general. Atheists lose everything if Christians are right and gain nothing if they are right.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:25:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

What if God has a sense of humor, and he sends believers to hell and Atheists to heaven?
Idiot
Posts: 347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:27:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:25:57 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

What if God has a sense of humor, and he sends believers to hell and Atheists to heaven?

Oh damn!
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:31:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:25:57 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

What if God has a sense of humor, and he sends believers to hell and Atheists to heaven?

But then their would at least be a God. But it never says that He will do that, so we cannot believe that he will do that.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:41:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:31:19 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:25:57 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

What if God has a sense of humor, and he sends believers to hell and Atheists to heaven?

But then their would at least be a God. But it never says that He will do that, so we cannot believe that he will do that.

It never says that he will do that because he has a sense of humour lol It would not be funny if he let you in on the punch line early how would it?
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 9:51:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:41:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:31:19 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:25:57 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

What if God has a sense of humor, and he sends believers to hell and Atheists to heaven?

But then their would at least be a God. But it never says that He will do that, so we cannot believe that he will do that.

It never says that he will do that because he has a sense of humour lol It would not be funny if he let you in on the punch line early how would it?

When else has He ever deviated from what he stated in the Bible. Why would he start?
Please stop posting troll posts.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:07:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:01:39 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Given the logic I have stated, how would an Atheist have any logic behind their lack of belief?

I was just joking with that post.

The problem is that you can posit anything one can be scared of, that does not mean you should do anything about it because there is no evidence for it. Thus, your argument is a fallacy. It would would be like me calling you illogical for not leaving your house right now, because of the Indiana Jones rolling boulder headed in your direction. There is no evidence of the boulder headed toward your direction, so you are sitting at home comfortably. Likewise, there is no evidence of hell, so I sit at home comfortably as an Atheist. If I should be a Christian because of some fear of hell, then you should leave your house out of fear of the boulder using the same logic. Anybody can make up crap to be scared of, that does not mean we should do anything about it. Therefore, I am logical in not doing anything about this hypothetical "hell", and remaining a [insert whatever you want to call me that is not a theist] instead of acting and becoming a theist. There you go.
Sower4GS
Posts: 1,718
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:15:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

Nope, wrong, you are not going to burn, you are going to be doing a frantic, manic doggie paddle in a sea of molten fire. Repent! The Kingdom of Yah (God) is here!! In Yahushua Messiah's name....Goodnight, see you, well, i'll suprise you. Dog, come here!!!

And I am no Christian, I am an Israelite! Proud to meet you: to one who does not believe in the one who constructed the eternal and countless structures that make up your DNA. Sheep out.
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:15:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:07:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:01:39 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Given the logic I have stated, how would an Atheist have any logic behind their lack of belief?

I was just joking with that post.

The problem is that you can posit anything one can be scared of, that does not mean you should do anything about it because there is no evidence for it. Thus, your argument is a fallacy. It would would be like me calling you illogical for not leaving your house right now, because of the Indiana Jones rolling boulder headed in your direction. There is no evidence of the boulder headed toward your direction, so you are sitting at home comfortably. Likewise, there is no evidence of hell, so I sit at home comfortably as an Atheist. If I should be a Christian because of some fear of hell, then you should leave your house out of fear of the boulder using the same logic. Anybody can make up crap to be scared of, that does not mean we should do anything about it. Therefore, I am logical in not doing anything about this hypothetical "hell", and remaining a [insert whatever you want to call me that is not a theist] instead of acting and becoming a theist. There you go.

A rational argument. But, think about if you would be willing to burn in hell for an eternity because of this lack of evidence. But, think about living in a beautiful heaven for an eternity because you gave Christianity a chance.
Though he have stated why you can refute my argument about not being a Christian. For clarification, you have stated, but not necessarily made my point mute. What do you gain by being Atheist. When you die, nothing happens. You gain nothing. But a Christian gains everything.
I, as a Christian, can die believing that I will go to a better place.
You, as an Atheist, will either die thinking that you will go into a never ending sleep, or worrying about if you are wrong about your lack of faith.
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:18:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:15:45 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

Nope, wrong, you are not going to burn, you are going to be doing a frantic, manic doggie paddle in a sea of molten fire. Repent! The Kingdom of Yah (God) is here!! In Yahushua Messiah's name....Goodnight, see you, well, i'll suprise you. Dog, come here!!!

And I am no Christian, I am an Israelite! Proud to meet you: to one who does not believe in the one who constructed the eternal and countless structures that make up your DNA. Sheep out.

We will agree that Hell is a beyond comprehension miserable place. And that it will hurt. Forever.
Sower4GS
Posts: 1,718
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:18:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:15:47 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:07:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:01:39 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Given the logic I have stated, how would an Atheist have any logic behind their lack of belief?

I was just joking with that post.

The problem is that you can posit anything one can be scared of, that does not mean you should do anything about it because there is no evidence for it. Thus, your argument is a fallacy. It would would be like me calling you illogical for not leaving your house right now, because of the Indiana Jones rolling boulder headed in your direction. There is no evidence of the boulder headed toward your direction, so you are sitting at home comfortably. Likewise, there is no evidence of hell, so I sit at home comfortably as an Atheist. If I should be a Christian because of some fear of hell, then you should leave your house out of fear of the boulder using the same logic. Anybody can make up crap to be scared of, that does not mean we should do anything about it. Therefore, I am logical in not doing anything about this hypothetical "hell", and remaining a [insert whatever you want to call me that is not a theist] instead of acting and becoming a theist. There you go.

A rational argument. But, think about if you would be willing to burn in hell for an eternity because of this lack of evidence. But, think about living in a beautiful heaven for an eternity because you gave Christianity a chance.
Though he have stated why you can refute my argument about not being a Christian. For clarification, you have stated, but not necessarily made my point mute. What do you gain by being Atheist. When you die, nothing happens. You gain nothing. But a Christian gains everything.
I, as a Christian, can die believing that I will go to a better place.
You, as an Atheist, will either die thinking that you will go into a never ending sleep, or worrying about if you are wrong about your lack of faith.

To original poster atheist guy, r u sorry, you asked, no? You should be!
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:19:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:15:47 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:07:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:01:39 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Given the logic I have stated, how would an Atheist have any logic behind their lack of belief?

I was just joking with that post.

The problem is that you can posit anything one can be scared of, that does not mean you should do anything about it because there is no evidence for it. Thus, your argument is a fallacy. It would would be like me calling you illogical for not leaving your house right now, because of the Indiana Jones rolling boulder headed in your direction. There is no evidence of the boulder headed toward your direction, so you are sitting at home comfortably. Likewise, there is no evidence of hell, so I sit at home comfortably as an Atheist. If I should be a Christian because of some fear of hell, then you should leave your house out of fear of the boulder using the same logic. Anybody can make up crap to be scared of, that does not mean we should do anything about it. Therefore, I am logical in not doing anything about this hypothetical "hell", and remaining a [insert whatever you want to call me that is not a theist] instead of acting and becoming a theist. There you go.

A rational argument. But, think about if you would be willing to burn in hell for an eternity because of this lack of evidence. But, think about living in a beautiful heaven for an eternity because you gave Christianity a chance.
Though he have stated why you can refute my argument about not being a Christian. For clarification, you have stated, but not necessarily made my point mute. What do you gain by being Atheist. When you die, nothing happens. You gain nothing. But a Christian gains everything.
I, as a Christian, can die believing that I will go to a better place.
You, as an Atheist, will either die thinking that you will go into a never ending sleep, or worrying about if you are wrong about your lack of faith.

You did a REALLY nice job of ignoring his whole argument.
0x5f3759df
Sower4GS
Posts: 1,718
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:19:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:18:27 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:15:47 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:07:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:01:39 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Given the logic I have stated, how would an Atheist have any logic behind their lack of belief?

I was just joking with that post.

The problem is that you can posit anything one can be scared of, that does not mean you should do anything about it because there is no evidence for it. Thus, your argument is a fallacy. It would would be like me calling you illogical for not leaving your house right now, because of the Indiana Jones rolling boulder headed in your direction. There is no evidence of the boulder headed toward your direction, so you are sitting at home comfortably. Likewise, there is no evidence of hell, so I sit at home comfortably as an Atheist. If I should be a Christian because of some fear of hell, then you should leave your house out of fear of the boulder using the same logic. Anybody can make up crap to be scared of, that does not mean we should do anything about it. Therefore, I am logical in not doing anything about this hypothetical "hell", and remaining a [insert whatever you want to call me that is not a theist] instead of acting and becoming a theist. There you go.

A rational argument. But, think about if you would be willing to burn in hell for an eternity because of this lack of evidence. But, think about living in a beautiful heaven for an eternity because you gave Christianity a chance.
Though he have stated why you can refute my argument about not being a Christian. For clarification, you have stated, but not necessarily made my point mute. What do you gain by being Atheist. When you die, nothing happens. You gain nothing. But a Christian gains everything.
I, as a Christian, can die believing that I will go to a better place.
You, as an Atheist, will either die thinking that you will go into a never ending sleep, or worrying about if you are wrong about your lack of faith.

To original poster atheist guy, r u sorry, you asked, no? You should be!

You did not ask? Sure you did, you sure did ask for it!
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:29:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:12:35 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:05:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
What if the Muslims are right?

Good question, but if the Muslims are right, the same would be true for atheists. I suppose the question could be "With this logic, why would any Atheist not give any religion a chance?" Your logic is good, but it does not refute my claim.

You would also be in the same place as the atheist. There's thousands of religions out there, meaning the atheist has only has a slightly more chance of going to hell than you. However, some sects of Christianity claim all will go to heaven. So the atheists are in no more of a problematic position than you. Pascal presented a false dichotomy, it begs the question, assuming their religion is the correct one.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:31:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Religions are limited by the ability to conceive them. Since there is (for all practical purposes) virtually an unlimited number of possible conceivable religions, we can phrase the atheist's chance of "succeeding" in the religious gamble as 0/infinity. The Christian/Muslim/Jew/whatever has a 1/infinity chance of succession. Sure, it's a better chance, but are you willing to radically change your life for the most miniscule of chance (that's assuming that god exists in the first place- otherwise, the probability for both would be 0)?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:33:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:31:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Religions are limited by the ability to conceive them. Since there is (for all practical purposes) virtually an unlimited number of possible conceivable religions, we can phrase the atheist's chance of "succeeding" in the religious gamble as 0/infinity. The Christian/Muslim/Jew/whatever has a 1/infinity chance of succession. Sure, it's a better chance, but are you willing to radically change your life for the most miniscule of chance (that's assuming that god exists in the first place- otherwise, the probability for both would be 0)?

Wrong phrasing. "God" should be "supernatural being."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:38:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 10:15:47 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:07:25 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 10:01:39 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Given the logic I have stated, how would an Atheist have any logic behind their lack of belief?

I was just joking with that post.

The problem is that you can posit anything one can be scared of, that does not mean you should do anything about it because there is no evidence for it. Thus, your argument is a fallacy. It would would be like me calling you illogical for not leaving your house right now, because of the Indiana Jones rolling boulder headed in your direction. There is no evidence of the boulder headed toward your direction, so you are sitting at home comfortably. Likewise, there is no evidence of hell, so I sit at home comfortably as an Atheist. If I should be a Christian because of some fear of hell, then you should leave your house out of fear of the boulder using the same logic. Anybody can make up crap to be scared of, that does not mean we should do anything about it. Therefore, I am logical in not doing anything about this hypothetical "hell", and remaining a [insert whatever you want to call me that is not a theist] instead of acting and becoming a theist. There you go.

A rational argument. But, think about if you would be willing to burn in hell for an eternity because of this lack of evidence.

Think about how you are willing to get crushed by this roller boulder because you have not left your house....You see? We can all make up crap to be scared of. It means nothing.

But, think about living in a beautiful heaven for an eternity because you gave Christianity a chance.

I think about having a million dollars. Just thinking of crap does not mean it has any bearing on reality. This is why your wager means nothing.

Though he have stated why you can refute my argument about not being a Christian. For clarification, you have stated, but not necessarily made my point mute. What do you gain by being Atheist.

If you leave your house out the back, it might lead you to Utopia. If you stay in your house you will get crushed by the rolling boulder. What do you gain by staying in the house! See? We can all make up nice places and bad places. That does not mean we should do anything about it.

When you die, nothing happens. You gain nothing. But a Christian gains everything.

A Christian thinks they gain everything. Of course, there is no evidence for this.

I, as a Christian, can die believing that I will go to a better place. You, as an Atheist, will either die thinking that you will go into a never ending sleep, or worrying about if you are wrong about your lack of faith.

Why would I worry? Are you worried about the boulder? This is why your whole argument is fallacious. I already debunked your silly argument. Anyone can make up crap to be scared of, and imaginary wonderful places. Thus, what you are saying has no meaning.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:49:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Observe the implications of this kind of thinking: if someone were to accost you and demand that you hand over someone of value, say an iPod, accompanying the request with the dubious claim that your refusal would result in infinite pain and misery, I'm guessing you still wouldn't bite. Why is the threat of infinite consequences in this scenario not sufficient enough of a reason to hand over finite goods, but accepted when you posit Pascal's wager as a valid reason for believing/doing something?
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:50:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

This is an excellent response to the Pascal's wager: http://doubtingdave.com...

If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 11:06:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:04:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Atheists, think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they burn in hell. They lose everything.
If Christians are right, they go to heaven. They gain everything.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what Atheist would not give Christianity a chance.

Think about this:
If Christians are wrong, we go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. We lose nothing.
If Atheists are wrong, they go to Heaven, get infinite reward.
If Christians are right about god(s) existing, they go to Hell, suffering torment forever.
If Atheists are right, they go into a deep, dreamless sleep and nothing happens. They gain nothing.
With this logic, or wager if you will, what theist would not give atheism a chance.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 9:22:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/12/2013 9:12:35 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 5/12/2013 9:05:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
What if the Muslims are right?

Good question, but if the Muslims are right, the same would be true for atheists. I suppose the question could be "With this logic, why would any Atheist not give any religion a chance?" Your logic is good, but it does not refute my claim.

Well it does, because those choices (Christianity/Muslim) are mutually exclusive.

So, you've gone from Atheism vs. Christianity, and proposing a 100% chance of hell versus a 0% chance of hell, to Atheism vs. Christianity or Islam, which is 100% chance of hell versus a 50% chance of hell (since you have to choose one, and each condemns the other).

As you increase the number of options under "Religion" the odds on the right side of the equation quickly approach 100%, especially when you factor in religions not yet thought of, of which there are infinite.

Pascal's Wager is defunct.