Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How to fix the Catholic church correctly.

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:02:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I hear of gay pedophilic priests serving the Lord in the catholic church. Overlooking how ridiculously contradictory this is, I propose an unrealistic solution that can be implemented right this instant.

Make all priests pedophobic: Extremely scared of little children. This shouldn't hinder their performance as a priest since they don't really come into contact with them unless to rape them.

There might be a few minor set backs, like completely innocent priests swearing in public after seeing a child, but it is understood that pedophobics are not scared of their own kids and the benefit far outweighs the cost.

How to make someone pedophobic: Psychologists understand how to use environmental conditioning to cause or remove extreme fears. This has been proven on animals in experiments. And that's about as far as the ethics committee has allowed it to go. But with a simple petition to the church and government, we can all work together to make priests everywhere pedophobic.

Thank you.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:04:10 AM
Heresy makes God cry.

I hope you're proud of yourself.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:07:24 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:04:10 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

I don't understand what is heretical about this?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:10:36 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:07:24 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:14:58 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:10:36 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

Does that mean exile?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:15:24 AM
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

As the Pope of DDO, only I am in a position to make that call.
Tsar of DDO
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:18:26 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:15:24 AM, YYW wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

As St. Bellarmine wrote in his Disputationes, a heretic cannot be Pope.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:20:55 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:18:26 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

Nur-Ab-Sal and now Amty... Anyone mind enlightening me? I have a vague feeling I have caused offense, which was the opposite of my intentions, so I would appreciate if someone told me.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:25:58 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:20:55 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

Nur-Ab-Sal and now Amty... Anyone mind enlightening me? I have a vague feeling I have caused offense, which was the opposite of my intentions, so I would appreciate if someone told me.

I'm not offended, and I'm roughly 100% sure Nur-Ab-Sal isn't either.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:26:53 AM
Sweet baby Jesus, please let DogKnox find this thread
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:28:10 AM
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

He clearly overlooked Rodrigo Borgia, ahem, Pope Alexander IV.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:29:03 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:26:53 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Sweet baby Jesus, please let DogKnox find this thread

That would be delightful.
Tsar of DDO
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:29:04 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:25:58 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

How coincidental AMTY and I are both unoffended. Almost as if we were... MULTIACCOUNTS?

What if...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:29:36 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:29:04 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 5/14/2013 2:25:58 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Heresy makes God cry.

Anathema.

How coincidental AMTY and I are both unoffended. Almost as if we were... MULTIACCOUNTS?

What if...

Careful now...
Tsar of DDO
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:35:14 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:28:10 AM, YYW wrote:

Care to explain how Pope Alexander IV was a heretic?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:44:05 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:35:14 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 5/14/2013 2:28:10 AM, YYW wrote:

Care to explain how Pope Alexander IV was a heretic?

I could.

Here:

Many medieval and renaissance Popes have been charged with criminal and immoral profiles throughout the ages, and none more so than Pope Alexander VI, Rodrigo Borjia. He is often said to be the outstanding symbol of Papal corruption during renaissance times. The symbolism of duplicity that surrounded the name of Pope Alexander VI is, however,one of the most debatable of this innovating age. It could be argued that a distinction ought to be made between the deeds of Pope Alexander VI as Pope, and those deeds committed by him prior to his election. Alexander VI was already sixty one years of age when he was elected to the Papacy. He was Pontiff for a mere eleven years.

The beginning of Pope Alexander"s career was instigated by his uncle, Pope Callixtus III, in 1455, when the future Pope Alexander was twenty years old. Callixtus III, previously Alfonso Borjia, adopted his nephew, Rodrigo Lancol, into the Borgia family. This was an unquestionable act of nepotism. Rodrigo had no prior qualifications and certainly no demonstrated clerical vocation. Nepotism was, however, common enough. It could be argued that this was no more than the age-old Roman custom of patronage, though by modern standards it is unacceptable.

After this, Rodrigo was quickly elevated through different ranks. In 1456 he was named Cardinal Deacon of St. Nicolo in Carcere and, in 1457, rose to Vice-Chancellor of the Roman church (Pastor, p 533). However, after the death of Pope Callixtus III, Rodrigo had no more promotions for nearly 20 years. This illustrates how his family connections were his only tie to power.

When Rodrigo was appointed Vice-Chancellor his greed and lust began to emerge. In 1460, at the age of 29, Rodrigo was heavily criticised by Pope Pius II in a scathing letter of accusation over a very public incident in Sienna; allegedly involved numerous men and women at a brothel. This event is the first of Alexander VI"s scandalous actions to be documented, (Raynaldus Ann. eccl. ad. ann. 1460, n. 31) and is often claimed to show the hypocrisy that Alexander VI came to represent. Pius" rebuke is curious, however, since it was said that Pius was indebted to Rodrigo for his part in Pius"s election. This would seem to suggest that the rebuke contained some substance, if Rodrigo was in fact counted among Pius" political supporters.

In 1471, with the death of Pope Paul II and the election of Granesco della Rovere as Pope Sixtus IV, Rodrigo once again began rising in status. Having voted for Sixtus, Rodrigo was quickly rewarded with the title of Cardinal Bishop of Albano and within the next few years Cardinal Bishop of Porto as well as Dean of the Sacred College of Cardinals. (Pirie)During the pontificate of Pope Sixtus IV, Rodrigo took his most recognized mistress, Vanozza Catanei in an open relationship. Although it was not desirable for clerics to have relationships it was more common and acceptable than would be in present times. Rodrigo had four illegitimate children with Vanozza, including Juan, Caesar, Lucrezia and Jofre. These births however were respectable enough in the eyes of the public, according to Gregorovius Borjia (Lucrezia Borgia 13).

Apart from the letter of Pius II, discussed earlier, and Rodrigo"s four illegitimate children, all of whom resulted from a long-term relationship with Vanozza Catanei, there is no other record of scandalous behaviour during the thirty seven years of Rodrigo"s early career.

However, rumours of corruption and scandal become frequent after Rodrigo"s election as Pope Alexander VI in 1492. The election itself was rumoured to have been won out of Rodroigo"s accumulated wealth. It was said that 17 out of 22 votes were purchased with bribes. However, the only proof of this ever being so was provided in the diary of Johann Burchard, which stated merely that Alexander VI spent a huge amount of money at the time of the election. (Burchard). Although there was never any hard evidence to say that Alexander VI bought his was into the papacy the manner in which individuals were rewarded in prior elections for no reasons indicates some form of bribery. It should be noted that Alexander was not therefore any different than his predecessors. Giovanni di Lorenzo de Medici expressed his opinion of the election of Alexander VI with the words: "Now we are in the power of a wolf, the most rapacious perhaps that this world has ever seen. And if we do not flee, he will inevitably devour us all" This statement is from one of the most influential families in Italy and would be likely backed by all supporters of the Medici family, thus showing what a majority of society believed about the newly instated Pope. (Reston, p. 287)

Even so, during at least the first few months of Alexander"s reign he was considered just and competent. This however did not last long. He quickly elevated his son to Cardinal, as well as the brother of Giulia Farnese, a young woman with whom it is said he lived openly. This act of nepotism was closely followed by the politically suitable marriages of his other children. Pope Alexander VI, like many previous political leaders, knew that the marriage and correct placement of family members was the key to maintaining power.

Alexander allegedly had up to twelve children with different women, most of these supposedly when he held the pontificate. However he only ever recognised those conceived with Vanozza (before his election to the Papacy.) Juan, Caesar, Lucrezia and Jofre were lavished with riches and titles. Following his election as Pope, he is said to have taken Giulia Farnese as a mistress within his first year of Pope. Guila was his daughter, Lucrezia"s, close friend, making her exceptionally young in comparison to the now 61-year-old Pope Alexander VI; Together, it was said, they had one daughter, Laura. Within the next years Pope Alexander VI was said to have had another three illegitimate children, Girolamo, Isabella and Pier Luigi, though curiously no mention was made of their maternal heritage.

The death of Pope Alexander VI is supposed to be further evidence of his corruption, since he was clearly hated by his murderers. In 1503, after dining with colleagues and family members, Pope Alexander VI became seriously ill and soon after died. Many people, including his son, also became ill at the time, starting rumours of a poisoned meal. However, there were no other deaths from people who attended the banquet and, considering the Pope"s age of seventy three, the claims were never investigated further. Small factors such as this combined, with numerous other incidents do nevertheless fuel the idea that the Pope was associated with dealings that both the Catholic public and other clergy did not agree with. (John Burchard, Diaries 1483"1492 translation: A.H. Matthew, London, 1910)

It is certainly difficult to uncover any real evidence that would condemn Pope Alexander VI as scandalous and corrupt, even though his reputation was continually battered by years of rumours and gossip. It should be remembered that corruption, in the modern meaning of the word, was something that could be identified in many areas of life in Italy of the Renaissance. Alexander VI may have been no worse then any other religious man at the time. He did, however, suffer under accusations of corruption and immorality. Although overshadowed by his colourful reputation, Pope Alexander was ambitious for the restoration of Papal authority in the Papal States. This, in itself, was a certain guarantee for the creation of political enemies and scandalous gossip.

http://cliojournal.wikispaces.com...
Tsar of DDO
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:47:13 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:44:05 AM, YYW wrote:
It is certainly difficult to uncover any real evidence that would condemn Pope Alexander VI as scandalous and corrupt, even though his reputation was continually battered by years of rumours and gossip. It should be remembered that corruption, in the modern meaning of the word, was something that could be identified in many areas of life in Italy of the Renaissance. Alexander VI may have been no worse then any other religious man at the time. He did, however, suffer under accusations of corruption and immorality. Although overshadowed by his colourful reputation, Pope Alexander was ambitious for the restoration of Papal authority in the Papal States. This, in itself, was a certain guarantee for the creation of political enemies and scandalous gossip.

... where did Pope Alexander VI preach heresy?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 2:52:46 AM
It is certainly difficult to uncover any real evidence that would condemn Pope Alexander VI as scandalous and corrupt, even though his reputation was continually battered by years of rumours and gossip.

Yeah, I read the whole thing and there are exactly zero mentions of heresy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:00:29 AM
At 5/14/2013 2:52:46 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
It is certainly difficult to uncover any real evidence that would condemn Pope Alexander VI as scandalous and corrupt, even though his reputation was continually battered by years of rumours and gossip.

Literally copied and pasted that, boys.
Tsar of DDO
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:01:50 AM
At 5/14/2013 3:00:29 AM, YYW wrote:

Not gonna judge, but I would have tried literally reading it first.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:05:48 AM

Of course you did -- I was pointing out that 'Alexander is corrupt' =/= 'Alexander is a heretic.'
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:15:14 AM
At 5/14/2013 3:05:48 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Of course you did -- I was pointing out that 'Alexander is corrupt' =/= 'Alexander is a heretic.'

If a heretic is someone who practices and professes heresy, and heresy is that which is incongruent with the church's official dogma, then at no point in time could Alexander IV be a heretic as he was then the arbiter of church dogma. If subsequent popes reverse his decisions, etc. is Alexander IV made a heretic post-mortem or are subsequent popes deviating from the true orthodoxy of the church?
Tsar of DDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:42:25 AM
Heretic: Someone who practices heresy
Heresy: Belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (esp. Christian) doctrine.

If that pope supported a belief contrary to what he taught, he is a heretic. An example of a heretic is Martin Luther.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:55:13 AM
At 5/14/2013 3:15:14 AM, YYW wrote:
If a heretic is someone who practices and professes heresy, and heresy is that which is incongruent with the church's official dogma, then at no point in time could Alexander IV be a heretic as he was then the arbiter of church dogma.

It is, in theory if not in reality, possible for a Pope to become a heretic by denying a de fide doctrine. A General Council would probably be needed to announce that the Pope was a heretic, though.

If subsequent popes reverse his decisions, etc. is Alexander IV made a heretic post-mortem or are subsequent popes deviating from the true orthodoxy of the church?

Depends on which decisions and how they were reversed. If they try to reverse the irreversable, then they're probably heretics, but when Pope Leo II confirmed the Sixth General Council, for instance, Honorius was clearly the heretic.

Conclusion: St. Bellarmine did not overlook Alexander IV, Alexander IV was orthodox.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 4:50:30 AM
Title: "How to fix the Catholic church correctly"

OP: "So I hear of gay pedophilic priests serving the Lord in the catholic church."

"Fixing" any problems with gay priests (similar situations exist in all religious groups, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) would fix, according to my calculations ... 0.000283% of the problems with the Catholic Church. Examples of other calculations:

Getting rid of all "priests" (as a special church "office") ... 0.2%
Getting rid of all archbishops ........................................ 0.3%
Getting rid of all cardinals ............................................. 0.5%
Dumping papa ............................................................. 2.5%
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 6:07:43 AM
At 5/14/2013 4:50:30 AM, annanicole wrote:

OP: "So I hear of gay pedophilic priests serving the Lord in the catholic church."

"Fixing" any problems with gay priests (similar situations exist in all religious groups, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) would fix, according to my calculations ... 0.000283% of the problems with the Catholic Church. Examples of other calculations:

A problem with individuals in the church is a problem for the entire church. Especially when they are leaders and when in a denominational system. But what brings you to these 'calculations?'
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 10:46:25 AM
At 5/14/2013 6:07:43 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 5/14/2013 4:50:30 AM, annanicole wrote:

A problem with individuals in the church is a problem for the entire church. Especially when they are leaders and when in a denominational system. But what brings you to these 'calculations?'

Well, #1 is they need to dump the denominational system. It is unknown to God's word.

As far as the calculatioins, I made em up To me, pedophilic "priests" are the least of their problems. The public eats it up, but the real problem is a hierarchal system that folks should reject. Whoever heard of a "priest" as some kinda special office?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."