Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Your thoughts on moral selfishness?

Freedomaniac
Posts: 365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2009 11:38:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Selfishness: The pursuit of the preservation and advancement of ones own life and happiness.

Corrupt selfishness: The pursuit of the preservation and advancement of ones own life and happiness in ways that hinder the selfishness of others besides other corrupt selfishness.

Moral selfishness: The pursuit of the preservation and advancement of ones own life and happiness in ways that do not hinder the selfishness of others except corrupt selfishness.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 7:16:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
There is nothing wrong with selfishness or greed as long as it is not expressed through coercion. In fact, human greed is the greatest contributor to general welfare in society.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 7:23:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 7:16:56 PM, wjmelements wrote:
There is nothing wrong with selfishness or greed as long as it is not expressed through coercion. In fact, human greed is the greatest contributor to general welfare in society.

Great point, wjm. We would not be as technologically advanced if it was not for greed. Greed is a great contributor of all that we have in the modern world. Heck, greed is what led to the colonizing of the Americas.
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:12:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/27/2009 11:38:50 PM, Freedomaniac wrote:
Selfishness: The pursuit of the preservation and advancement of ones own life and happiness.

Corrupt selfishness: The pursuit of the preservation and advancement of ones own life and happiness in ways that hinder the selfishness of others besides other corrupt selfishness.

Moral selfishness: The pursuit of the preservation and advancement of ones own life and happiness in ways that do not hinder the selfishness of others except corrupt selfishness.

Im going to use the ever so subjective term good a lot.

Selfishness is good.

Moral Selfishness is good.

Corrupt selfishness may not be "good" but it is necessary.
Freedomaniac
Posts: 365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:22:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:12:44 PM, wonderwoman wrote:

Corrupt selfishness may not be "good" but it is necessary.

Please elaborate.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
Freedomaniac
Posts: 365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:24:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:19:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
The unintended side-effect of human greed (progress, expansion, and technological advancement, among other things) is often considered to be "good" by the public at large, simply because it helps to temporarily satiate their own greed.

If there happiness is only "temporary" and in-fact brings suffering later, they actually didn't act in their own self-interest.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:26:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Corrupt selfishness contradicts in reality. If one attacks another innocent life-- one alters what was previously a motivation to respect another so as to receive reciprocation, into a motivation to eliminate the threat.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Freedomaniac
Posts: 365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:30:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:26:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Corrupt selfishness contradicts in reality. If one attacks another innocent life-- one alters what was previously a motivation to respect another so as to receive reciprocation, into a motivation to eliminate the threat.

That makes absolutely NO sense.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:34:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:24:02 PM, Freedomaniac wrote:
At 11/28/2009 11:19:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
The unintended side-effect of human greed (progress, expansion, and technological advancement, among other things) is often considered to be "good" by the public at large, simply because it helps to temporarily satiate their own greed.


If there happiness is only "temporary" and in-fact brings suffering later, they actually didn't act in their own self-interest.

All happiness is temporary. Your argument is irrelevant to the point that I'm making anyway, though. I'm just arguing that the only "good" brought about by greed is the temporary satisfaction of the greed of a larger number of people due to the side effects of the original greed. When I say "temporary satisfaction", I am not implying that there will be later suffering. I am asserting that greed is infinite, and can never be fully satisfied. Greed is only temporarily satisfiable, before some new desire steps up to bat.
Freedomaniac
Posts: 365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:37:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:34:08 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

All happiness is temporary. Your argument is irrelevant to the point that I'm making anyway, though. I'm just arguing that the only "good" brought about by greed is the temporary satisfaction of the greed of a larger number of people due to the side effects of the original greed. When I say "temporary satisfaction", I am not implying that there will be later suffering. I am asserting that greed is infinite, and can never be fully satisfied. Greed is only temporarily satisfiable, before some new desire steps up to bat.

Do you think this is a bad thing? I don't.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:38:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:30:48 PM, Freedomaniac wrote:
At 11/28/2009 11:26:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Corrupt selfishness contradicts in reality. If one attacks another innocent life-- one alters what was previously a motivation to respect another so as to receive reciprocation, into a motivation to eliminate the threat.

That makes absolutely NO sense.

Can you point out what you didn't understand or what contradicted or did not follow?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:40:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:37:44 PM, Freedomaniac wrote:
At 11/28/2009 11:34:08 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

All happiness is temporary. Your argument is irrelevant to the point that I'm making anyway, though. I'm just arguing that the only "good" brought about by greed is the temporary satisfaction of the greed of a larger number of people due to the side effects of the original greed. When I say "temporary satisfaction", I am not implying that there will be later suffering. I am asserting that greed is infinite, and can never be fully satisfied. Greed is only temporarily satisfiable, before some new desire steps up to bat.

Do you think this is a bad thing? I don't.

I see it as a never-ending cycle of unsatisfiable greed. I don't like that at all.
Freedomaniac
Posts: 365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 11:43:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:26:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Corrupt selfishness contradicts in reality. If one attacks another innocent life-- one alters what was previously a motivation to respect another so as to receive reciprocation, into a motivation to eliminate the threat.

That makes absolutely NO sense.

Can you point out what you didn't understand or what contradicted or did not follow?

Everything after the first sentence. Sorry, I'm tired.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 12:57:27 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Perhaps I should add the question "How so?"
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 1:25:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 11/28/2009 11:43:10 PM, Freedomaniac wrote:

Everything after the first sentence. Sorry, I'm tired.

You do X bad thing to another, you lose what benefits you had from not doing X. The worse X is against another person, the more motivation there is to do b a d things back to you.