Jump to topic:

Who has most shaped your views?

Freedomaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:14:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Of people that you haven't met. You can state more than one.

The Founding Fathers and Ayn Rand are the biggest for me.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
Freedomaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:18:34 PM
By the way, this doesn't just pertain to religion, it's everything.

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:19:35 PM
At 11/28/2009 8:14:21 PM, Freedomaniac wrote:
Of people that you haven't met. You can state more than one.

The Founding Fathers and Ayn Rand are the biggest for me.

Ron Paul
Murray Rothbard
Walter Block
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:36:55 PM
Adam Smith
Then Milton Friedman
Then Murray Rothbard.

Who's the punk above me who stole my old avatar?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:47:43 PM
At 11/28/2009 8:36:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Adam Smith
Then Milton Friedman
Then Murray Rothbard.

If you were worthy of Rothbard's image as your avatar you would know that I stole nothing from you.[1] :P

Are you aware of Rothbard's critique of Smith[2], or of Friedman?[3]

Also, I enjoyed your debate in regards to Cyber Commander and Happy Lover.[4] In fact, it happens to be the reason I joined this site.

[1] http://questioncopyright.org...
[2] http://www.lewrockwell.com...
[3] http://www.lewrockwell.com...
[4] http://www.debate.org...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Freedomaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:54:35 PM
Oh yes, Murray Rothbard is also a big one for me.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:55:22 PM
- Michael Savage was the first influence on my political beliefs -- conservative nationalism. I read all his books and listened to his radio show because my Dad did, but internet changed that.
- I'm not sure how and when I switched to the libertarian beliefs I have now, but since then Ron Paul has been a major figure. Small government. Low taxes. Non-interventionism. A mixture of Austrian and Chicago economics is ideal.
- I shaped my own beliefs on religion. After I figured out Santa isn't real, I started to connect the dots a little after. I was in religous educationn (CCD for Catholics) my whole life, and everything seemed like BS to me. I didn't really pay much attention to the philosophy of religion or atheism before I came onto this site, but much research into various sources has shaped my views - not particular people though.

In summary, I'd say that Ron Paul has shaped my views much more than anyone else, with Savage as my second most influential person - although I don't agree with Savage anymore.. Mostly though, besides Paul, it has been a wide assortment of people, articles, YouTube videos, and other content that has formed my views - not so much particular people.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 8:55:53 PM
At 11/28/2009 8:36:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Lol. I thought the same thing.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 9:35:46 PM
I don't really read the works of the dead famous people that you guys all read. Most of my views were shaped by my peers, my relatives, my own personal experiences, stuff my teachers and professors said, etc.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 9:51:51 PM
At 11/28/2009 8:47:43 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Are you aware of Rothbard's critique of Smith[2], or of Friedman?[3]
Yes, but all three influenced me. I don't identify as much with the first two anymore.
Also, I enjoyed your debate in regards to Cyber Commander and Happy Lover.[4] In fact, it happens to be the reason I joined this site.
I'm glad to have helped.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 3:20:13 PM
Ab linclon
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 9:42:22 PM
At 11/29/2009 3:20:13 PM, banker wrote:
Ab linclon

http://www.lewrockwell.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 9:45:41 PM
- David Icke
- Michael Tsarion
- Alan Watts
- Michio Kaku

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 9:57:28 PM
At 11/30/2009 9:55:13 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
My brain

"My brain" does not answer a question beginning with who.[1]

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 9:57:58 PM
At 11/30/2009 9:55:13 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
My brain

lol, I guess dictating can be considered shaping??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:06:52 PM
Carl Sagan, David Hume, Bertrand Russell, Socrates, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill, Peter Singer, John Rawls, Karl Popper, Voltaire, Spinoza, Thomas Jefferson, Richard Dawkins, Noam Chomsky, William F. Buckley, George Orwell, Christopher Hitchens, Thomas Paine, Charles Darwin, Einstein, Lawrence Krauss, Neil degrasse Tyson

They are not necessarily in order from most to least influential.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:27:52 PM
Charles Darwin, Herbert Spencer, Benito Mussolini, Plato, Socrates, Voltaire, Dawkins, Sigmund Freud, My Parents (thrown in for the cute effect and partially true), Augustus Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, probably a lot of others but those are the first few that came to mind
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:37:10 PM
Max Weber, Carl Marx, Tony Blair, Carl Jung, Alan Macfarlane and Alexis de Tocqueville(Sp.)

Thats all I can remeber.

Why, Rand and her psedo-Objectivist Crap, the whole idea is screaming I hate Comminism, so I'm gonna Rand* about in 3 different books. + Atlas shrugged is going to be a movie, A MOVIE. I'm gonna love gunning down the new objectivist youth.

*get it rand and rant. He he he.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:45:10 PM
At 11/30/2009 10:37:10 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
Max Weber, Carl Marx, Tony Blair, Carl Jung, Alan Macfarlane and Alexis de Tocqueville(Sp.)

Are you serious? Lmao.

Since people are listing their entire list, I suppose I should include mine.

David Icke, Michael Tsarion, Alan Watts, Michio Kaku, David Wilcock, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Gregg Braden, Jordan Maxwell, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Manly P. Hall, Bill Hicks, Alex Collier, Peter Joseph, Deepak Chopra, John Hagelin, Barbara Marciniak, Alex Jones, Jim Marrs, Drunvalo Melchizedek, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Feynman, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Thomas Paine, George Carlin, Friedrich Nietzsche, Jean-Paul Sartre, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchins.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:54:13 PM
At 11/30/2009 10:45:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Are you serious? Lmao.

What's wrong with Blair? For a leader of leading Country he did honorably well.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:56:38 PM
lol, Well, if my brain is myself... myself is a "who", therefore I would be correct in my statement.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:56:39 PM
At 11/30/2009 10:54:13 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
What's wrong with Blair?

I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist so it should be easy to understand why I don't approve of him.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 10:58:02 PM

Thats all I can remeber.

Why, Rand and her psedo-Objectivist Crap, the whole idea is screaming I hate Comminism, so I'm gonna Rand* about in 3 different books. + Atlas shrugged is going to be a movie, A MOVIE. I'm gonna love gunning down the new objectivist youth.

*get it rand and rant. He he he.

How is Rand pseudo-Objectivist?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.