Pope says everyone goes to heaven!...Yay

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:28:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://en.radiovaticana.va...

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! "Father, the atheists? Even the atheists.' Everyone!"

If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there."

"Doing good" is a principle that unites all humanity, beyond the diversity of ideologies and religions, and creates the "culture of encounter"

Hey! Good news! Looks like the new pope believes everyone goes to heaven, even atheists, as long as they do good. This is good. I can be quite critical of organized religion and the pope. But, this new pope guy is not bad at all, for a pope. Leaps and bounds better than the last one. It is nice to that he believes that it is more important to do good then to go with certain religious beliefs.
Talib.ul-Ilm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:32:45 PM
He's clearly lying about his own religion, because Jesus himself mentioned hell and those who will dwell in it. Hell wasn't in the Old Testament, it was in the New Testament.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:39:19 PM
At 5/22/2013 1:28:57 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! "Father, the atheists? Even the atheists.' Everyone!"

If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there."

"Doing good" is a principle that unites all humanity, beyond the diversity of ideologies and religions, and creates the "culture of encounter"

Hey! Good news! Looks like the new pope believes everyone goes to heaven, even atheists, as long as they do good. This is good. I can be quite critical of organized religion and the pope. But, this new pope guy is not bad at all, for a pope. Leaps and bounds better than the last one. It is nice to that he believes that it is more important to do good then to go with certain religious beliefs.

Were you actually worried you were going to go to hell before this? Lol
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:51:57 PM

If the Lord has redeemed all of us, then it shouldn't be necessary for us to "do good" to avoid hell. If we're redeemed, then we're redeemed. None of us are going to hell.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:15:39 PM
First time I've seen someone with a belief like this. Usually it is "Only true Christians go to heaven." or "Everyone goes to heaven eventually, but those who aren't true Christians spend time in hell." This is a new position for me, and I wonder how the pope could take it, when so many people believe otherwise.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:17:46 PM
At 5/22/2013 1:51:57 PM, philochristos wrote:

If the Lord has redeemed all of us, then it shouldn't be necessary for us to "do good" to avoid hell. If we're redeemed, then we're redeemed. None of us are going to hell.

Are you saying you only do good out of fear of hell?
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:44:55 PM
At 5/22/2013 2:17:46 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Not really.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:52:35 PM
The Catholic Church is finally catching up. Hopefully they just turn into a nice humanitarian organization in the future instead of a religious one.
0x5f3759df
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:57:58 PM

No, I'm saying that if the Pope is right, then doing good isn't necessary to avoid hell.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 2:59:25 PM
At 5/22/2013 2:57:58 PM, philochristos wrote:

No, I'm saying that if the Pope is right, then doing good isn't necessary to avoid hell.

Oh ok I see what you are saying.
medv4380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 3:22:16 PM
Sounds like this one might actually be able to pass my Gandhi test. I normally dismiss anyone's attempts to convert me the moment they claim Gandhi is in purgatory, hell, or other equivalent. I'll reserve a final verdict with more information, and see if the view is retained accost another Pope or Two. At a minimum he might get my respect.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 8:57:45 PM
Papa over in Rome: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."

Anna: So papa says that those who deny the very existence of God and Jesus Christ, but happen to open a door for an old lady, will go on to heaven in spite of disbelief. Where'd he learn that? Ummm ... idk. I know where he didn't get it.

I am ever surprised (and I do not know why) at the political utterances which eminate from Roma. Papa didn't get that "atheists and unbelievers will go to heaven" from the Bible. He didn't get it from the "church fathers", either. He got it from dabbing his finger in the waters of political opinion, and proved it by citing the 23rd chapter of Revelation. His "papa predecessors" have said that none but Roman Catholics - those who submit to the pretended authority of papa - will go to heaven. Now this new one says, "Y'all were all wrong. Everybody be goin."

~~ sighs ~~ at all these contradictions from supposedly infallible leaders.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 2:02:34 AM

Half truths worse then a lie. Its deceptive!
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 2:06:11 AM
Why did God send messengers at all then ?!!

some religious can say crazy things to please the world, shouldn't they focus on pleasing god ???
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 2:20:55 AM
And why are you so happy? will you believe now because of this pope ?!! are you happy because there is a chance you'd go to heaven? I wish I could understand your point!!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 2:36:30 AM
At 5/23/2013 2:20:55 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
And why are you so happy? will you believe now because of this pope ?!! are you happy because there is a chance you'd go to heaven? I wish I could understand your point!!

It's altruistic and more importantly, not brand specific.

The world today needs people simply to do good (or at least not to do bad) whether they are buying Coke or Pepsi can be resolved later and by someone with more authority.

I also like the point that it mostly focuses on what's important, being good and doing good, instead of marketing anything.

The pope seems to be widening his audience, rather than just preaching to the choir.

Kudos to him.
Debate.org Moderator
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 2:48:15 AM
What for those who do bad?

And who says what's good ?

What for those who do both ?? (which is everybody I guess)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 3:02:32 AM

No where did he ever say everyone goes to Heaven. If he is Catholic he could not make that call anyway.

I was calling for peace, from everyone. Peace is not misinterpreting something someone says.

Peace be with you.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 3:24:16 AM
At 5/23/2013 2:36:30 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's altruistic and more importantly, not brand specific.

The world today needs people simply to do good (or at least not to do bad) whether they are buying Coke or Pepsi can be resolved later and by someone with more authority.

I also like the point that it mostly focuses on what's important, being good and doing good, instead of marketing anything.

The pope seems to be widening his audience, rather than just preaching to the choir.

Kudos to him.

I too came away with this after reading the full article.

He is calling for what Jesus called for......Love.

If Innomen and cupcakes (sorry Inno, if your reading this, your the only gay guy I know on here) called up tomorrow and said "hey j, we have a couple hundred pounds of food and supplies and no truck. Would you care to load it up in yours and carry us out to Oklahoma so we can help them people out there?" The Pope would rebuke me if I said " no, one of you is gay and the other is an atheist."

If we all are looking to do good we will meet, if anyone denies love for the sake of hate then we are not fulfilling the call of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 4:04:43 AM
Doing good is something.

Going to paradise despite being an atheist is another, if he really thinks that and believe it, then he created a new sect in Christianity!! good luck with it.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 5:13:21 AM
At 5/23/2013 4:04:43 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
Doing good is something.

Going to paradise despite being an atheist is another, if he really thinks that and believe it, then he created a new sect in Christianity!! good luck with it.

He didn't say that at all, just called everyone to do good.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 7:06:05 AM
At 5/22/2013 1:39:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Were you actually worried you were going to go to hell before this? Lol

Lol, of course not. Haha, I don't believe in hell haha lol. It is just nice to see a pope that is not completely insane to think a god would torture people based on religious belief.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 7:10:08 AM

I think, to believes that god tortures and rewards people based on religious belief, is twisted, immoral and insane. So, it is nice to see a religious leader that is not a evil psycho.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 5:48:32 PM
At 5/23/2013 7:06:05 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Lol, of course not. Haha, I don't believe in hell haha lol.

A lot of laughter in this sentence...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 6:03:35 PM
I don't care what the Jesuit militant, kidnapping molester protector says.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 6:56:03 PM
At 5/23/2013 6:03:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

smh...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 7:24:21 PM
At 5/23/2013 5:48:32 PM, stubs wrote:
At 5/23/2013 7:06:05 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Lol, of course not. Haha, I don't believe in hell haha lol.

A lot of laughter in this sentence...

Haha yeah. Someone thought that I actually was worried about going to hell before the pope said this. I found that thought hilarious.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 7:26:52 PM
At 5/23/2013 5:13:21 AM, jharry wrote:
At 5/23/2013 4:04:43 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
Doing good is something.

He didn't say that at all, just called everyone to do good.

So basically this topic is a fallacy from a theist in denial...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 7:28:23 PM
At 5/23/2013 6:03:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I agree that the Catholic church still deserves criticism and is years behind in moral thinking. This does not absolve the church of the horrors and evils it has committed in the past and still commits today. However, I think it is good to compliment the church for taking a step in the right direction. Hopefully someday, if the church still exists, it becomes a moral, humanistic organization.