Jump to topic:

Real change - or political expediency

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 8:55:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I submit for comment a little news story from Civilita Cattolica, the world organ of the Jesuit group of Roman Catholics with a dateline of April, 1948. The background is the use of the Italian police - the Questura - by the Catholic Church to deface/disband/destroy Protestant church buildings. This is the Jesuit/Catholic comment on the action - an action of about 60 years ago. How much has truly changed?

(Rome, April 1948) "The Roman Catholic Church, convinced through its divine prerogatives, of being the only true church, must demand the right of freedom for herself alone, because such a right can only be possessed by truth, never by error ... Consequently, in a state where the majority of the people are Catholic, the Church will require that legal existence be denied to error, and that if religious minorities actually exist, they shall have only a defacto existence without opportunity to spread their beliefs ... In some countries, Catholics will be obliged to ask full religious freedom for all, resigned at being forced to co-habitate where they alone should rightfully be allowed to live. But in doing this the Church does not renounce her thesis, which remains the most imperative of her laws, but merely adapts herself to de facto conditions, which must be taken into account in practical affairs."

Concentrate on that last sentence, for that is the Catholic mindset. The Catholic Church will wave the flag and speak long and hard for tolerance - when she is in the minority! The Catholics call that, by the way, "merely adapting." However, to view Catholicism as it really is, one needs to observe the actions against dissenters in majority-Catholic countries.

I post that quote simply because some folks on here may have never seen how Catholics really talk when they are in control.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 7:28:38 PM
It's not a catholic thing, it's a human thing.

Asserting one's self as the vessel of Gods truth, and thus anyone or thing that is in contradiction to you is opposing God, and if they are opposing God you can do what ever is necessary to ensure that "Gods truth" prevails, the truth of God which just so happens to be your view as well.............what a delightful coincidence !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 8:22:01 PM
At 5/28/2013 7:28:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Asserting one's self as the vessel of Gods truth, and thus anyone or thing that is in contradiction to you is opposing God, and if they are opposing God you can do what ever is necessary to ensure that "Gods truth" prevails, the truth of God which just so happens to be your view as well.............what a delightful coincidence !!!

It's one thing to believe one has arrived at the truth or at least some portions of it; it's quite another to deprive everyone else of the free exercise of his or her own religion.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 8:32:12 PM
At 5/28/2013 8:22:01 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/28/2013 7:28:38 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

It's one thing to believe one has arrived at the truth or at least some portions of it; it's quite another to deprive everyone else of the free exercise of his or her own religion.

The mindset of this kind of believer isn't that they just have the truth, it's that they have divine permission, authority to ensure this truth prevails.....If God is for me who can be against me ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 9:33:33 PM
I do not, in general, see the mindset of "I'm right, you're wrong - you have no right to exist or teach publicly" among Protestant denominations or the church of Christ. I do see it very plainly in Roman Catholicism and radical Islam.