Jump to topic:

The nature of God

surrendersacrifice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 10:47:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
God is spirit (John 4:24). His spirit is a force that is omnipresent; is creative; and is infinitely intelligent. His intelligence is evident by the fact that everything that exists has an intelligent design. For example, human brain has 110 billion cells, which are connected by a network of trillions upon trillions of connections; and has a capability equal to 20 thousand computers.
Because God made us, we can have true peace only when we are in unison Him; and our experience shows that we have true peace only when we exercise unconditional love. This indicates that the spirit of God is unconditional love. Furthermore, we can believe that God is unconditional love, if we realize that God became one of us and accepted the most painful and humiliating death in order to save, us, who betrayed him and were unfaithful to him.

Jesus came into this world to preach good news to the poor, heal the broken hearted, proclaim freedom to those who were enslaved by sin and release from darkness for those who did not know the truth about the love of God (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1). In keeping with his mission Jesus freed the oppressed; forgave sinners, healed the sick, comforted the broken hearted, fed the hungry, gave sight to the blind, cleaned lepers, raised the dead and proclaimed the good news (Luke 7:22). The world however did not recognize him (John 1:10) and disliked his mission. However he stayed faithful to His mission because he knew that it would bring us eternal life. He was therefore wounded for our transgressions, was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole; and by his stripes we are healed. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth (Isaiah 53: 5 &7). Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); and was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28). Through his chastisement he infused his spirit of unconditional love into the world which healed us and set us free of sin; so that we too can love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34-35), quietly bear each other"s burdens, forgive without any limit (Matt. 18:22), bind each other"s wounds and be a servant to others.
Love is the spirit of surrender, sacrifice, service
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:22:46 AM
No.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 3:26:57 AM
Well I have an objection about the use of the word "nature" in this context, as usually nature is something given. it's better to say the truth of God.

Also, is God being a spirit means he doesn't have an appearance?

According to Islam he does have: hands, legs, face all those were mentioned in the Quran which is the literal word of God. He also will show himself to the believers in Heaven.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 1:26:44 AM
If it's infinitely intelligent, how come all of it's decisions result in the slaughter of innocents?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 7:52:20 AM
At 6/5/2013 1:26:44 AM, bulproof wrote:
If it's infinitely intelligent, how come all of it's decisions result in the slaughter of innocents?

In what way do Infinitely knowledgeable, and slaughter innocent conflict ?!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 8:32:29 AM
At 5/29/2013 3:26:57 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
Well I have an objection about the use of the word "nature" in this context, as usually nature is something given. it's better to say the truth of God.

According to Islam he does have: hands, legs, face all those were mentioned in the Quran which is the literal word of God. He also will show himself to the believers in Heaven.

Being a "Spirit" does not exempt God having an "appearance", it's strange to me that you don't know what spirit means. Actually we all are a spirit when we leave our physical body. It just means we no longer have flesh and blood but we still resemble ourselves and that resemblance is our spirit.
A spirit is also not bound by physical properties, it is more transparent by nature but it most certainly has a "form". In other words when we die we are not just some floating conscience with an eyeball lol our spirit body is our "flesh" and our form, you would be recognized as who you are now so yes God would have an appearance just like all other spirit beings. Some might call it the soul, but I believe that our spirit is our heavenly body which houses the soul and mind in the same way our physical flesh does for our earthly body. Our spirit can sense, feel, smell, and see just like our bodies can.
As a matter of fact not only does the scripture say that God is indeed Spirit, but God does indeed have an appearance just like you mentioned. So from reading the Word it is pretty clear and without confusion that God is both Spirit and with form. Being a spirit does not mean being without an appearance, it's being without physical limitations and restrictions, it is your eternal body.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 9:15:47 AM
At 6/5/2013 8:32:29 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Being a "Spirit" does not exempt God having an "appearance", it's strange to me that you don't know what spirit means. Actually we all are a spirit when we leave our physical body. It just means we no longer have flesh and blood but we still resemble ourselves and that resemblance is our spirit.
A spirit is also not bound by physical properties, it is more transparent by nature but it most certainly has a "form". In other words when we die we are not just some floating conscience with an eyeball lol our spirit body is our "flesh" and our form, you would be recognized as who you are now so yes God would have an appearance just like all other spirit beings. Some might call it the soul, but I believe that our spirit is our heavenly body which houses the soul and mind in the same way our physical flesh does for our earthly body. Our spirit can sense, feel, smell, and see just like our bodies can.
As a matter of fact not only does the scripture say that God is indeed Spirit, but God does indeed have an appearance just like you mentioned. So from reading the Word it is pretty clear and without confusion that God is both Spirit and with form. Being a spirit does not mean being without an appearance, it's being without physical limitations and restrictions, it is your eternal body.

I know what it means, I just seen a lot of Christians clearly assert: God doesn't have an appearance. and I believe God has an appearance, also his creatures that we usually can't see: Angels, devils.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 9:50:24 AM
At 6/5/2013 9:15:47 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

I know what it means, I just seen a lot of Christians clearly assert: God doesn't have an appearance. and I believe God has an appearance, also his creatures that we usually can't see: Angels, devils.

What Christian would say God does not have an appearance lol? When the scripture clearly states that He does. Actually that would be really strange if He didn't, nor would it make much sense.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 11:39:00 AM
I don't agree with the writer of the topic on God being unconditional love for those reasons:

- Nothing says unconditional love is "good" as it includes loving evil doers !!
-God put much conditions for us to deserve his love, even Jesus said that for he kept the commandments of God, God loved him, so really guys tis doctrine isn't Jesus doctrine ! not Moses, not any prophet!
makhdoom5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 4:00:58 AM

hey u are deviating from the right path. he do not has the appearance he said in Quran nothing is like him in the whole universe. when u say that above u can get some image, which bis forbidden. be careful in this topic. this is why not every body can debate about ALLAH with non believer it very difficult task. it could be dangerous for your own iman. no other example is good about him other than he himself has given in books. keep in mind.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 9:35:47 AM
At 6/6/2013 4:00:58 AM, makhdoom5 wrote:

hey u are deviating from the right path. he do not has the appearance he said in Quran nothing is like him in the whole universe. when u say that above u can get some image, which bis forbidden. be careful in this topic. this is why not every body can debate about ALLAH with non believer it very difficult task. it could be dangerous for your own iman. no other example is good about him other than he himself has given in books. keep in mind.

Nothing is like him means he doesn't have an appearance ?! not at all!! Makhdoom does Allah has a face ?answer just yes or no.
makhdoom5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:38:05 AM
At 6/6/2013 9:35:47 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

Nothing is like him means he doesn't have an appearance ?! not at all!! Makhdoom does Allah has a face ?answer just yes or no.
we cant say that. man its forbidden. read the Quran
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 10:40:14 AM
At 6/6/2013 10:38:05 AM, makhdoom5 wrote:
At 6/6/2013 9:35:47 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

we cant say that. man its forbidden. read the Quran

Yeah, that's real freedom :/