Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Pope opens heaven for atheists

RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:12:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The less people threaten me with eternal suffering without it seeming to bother them, the better.

Atheism win. :)
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:15:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I truly think that this is a beautiful thing, and a step in the right direction for tolerance.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:20:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm a little confused by what the Pope said. Part of it makes it look like we're all redeemed, whether we're moral or not. Part of it makes it look like we'll be redeemed if we're moral.

According to some of the stuff I've seen posted on facebook about it, I'm not the only one who is confused. While most people seem to interpret him as advocating universalism, some of my friends on facebook have posted articles arguing that he was NOT advocating universalism.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:21:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.

http://www.strangenotions.com...
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:22:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Pope Francis said that Atheists are still eligible to go to heaven. To return the favour, Atheists said Popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness"

"Some Catholics were upset by his comments because it means we wasted a lot of Sundays going to church"

"It would be fun to let Atheists into Heaven if for no other reason than to see the look on their faces when they get there"
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 10:50:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.

I think that the Pope mean to say that every single individual, be him/her atheist or otherwise, has the potential to be with God when his/her life comes to an end. Atheists have to potential, for example, to embrace a relationship with God and so are capable of "going to heaven," as it were.

It seems clear, to me, at any rate, that someone who freely rejects God and rejects His offer to be with Him after his/her death will get his/her wish and be eternally separated from God.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 11:00:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
According to this article, the Huffington Post distorted the Pope's meaning. The author says the Pope is not saying anything different than the Catholic Church has always said.

http://www.patheos.com...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 11:08:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://orthodoxyandheterodoxy.org...

This whole situation is a train-wreck of misunderstanding.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 3:14:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life.

No. Redemption comes to all, without exception, through the Lord Jesus Christ (cf. 1 Timothy 2:6, CCC 601).
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:00:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 9:15:25 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I truly think that this is a beautiful thing, and a step in the right direction for tolerance.

He's just trying to sell you something, it's called marketing !!
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:06:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 11:11:08 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Glad to see this is a misunderstanding.

So does this mean you are glad that people will go to hell, even if they do good, simply because of their beliefs, and that people who do evil will go to heaven?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:18:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 7:06:48 AM, drhead wrote:
At 5/30/2013 11:11:08 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Glad to see this is a misunderstanding.

So does this mean you are glad that people will go to hell, even if they do good, simply because of their beliefs, and that people who do evil will go to heaven?

He is glad the pope is not a plain liar.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:31:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Gosh yes. That would be a terrible trait in a man who protects paedophiles and helps perpetuate the spread of HIV amongst poor communities across Africa and other less educated parts of the world.

Good to see priorities are in the right order.
v3nesl
Posts: 4,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:35:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.

"Let us meet one another doing good" - it sounds more practical to me, more like "let's all get along". Maybe he's thinking christians will win converts by finding common ground, instead of being exclusive, something like that?

It is interesting, it's a rare atheist who takes things to their logical conclusion and abandons morality. So this idea of "do good", it really is a common ground with most atheists.
This space for rent.
rjohnson741
Posts: 215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:11:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 9:20:24 PM, philochristos wrote:
I'm a little confused by what the Pope said. Part of it makes it look like we're all redeemed, whether we're moral or not. Part of it makes it look like we'll be redeemed if we're moral.

According to some of the stuff I've seen posted on facebook about it, I'm not the only one who is confused. While most people seem to interpret him as advocating universalism, some of my friends on facebook have posted articles arguing that he was NOT advocating universalism.

If Jesus Christ shed His blood for all mankind(unlimited atonement) as Arminians believe, and the blood of Christ is effectual for those Christ died for, then all mankind is redeemed. Salvation of course does not stop at redemption. Our salvation must be completed worked out and perfected:

'Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure' Philippians 2:12-13.

God will work out salvation in all of us. This is what must happen to the sinner so his salvation is complete:

1---The sinner must be redeemed(unlimited atonement).
2---The sinner must repent(repentance).
3---The sinner must be born again(regeneration)
4---The sinner must believe in Christ(faith).
5---The sinner must be justified(justification).
6---The sinner must be sanctified(sanctification).
7---The sinner must be glorified(glorification).

The Calvinist and Arminians call this the Order Of Salvation(Ordo Salutis). The sinner must go through this order in order for his salvation to be complete. Since salvation is the work of God, it is God who meets all the requirements of the Order Of Salvation:

1---It is God who redeems us(unlimited atonement).
2---It is God who grants us repentance(Romans 2:4; 2Timothy 2:25)
3---It is God who regenerates us(Ephesians 2:5; 1Corinthians 15:22-23).
4---It is God who gives us faith to believe(Ephesians 2:8; Hebrews 12:2).
5---It is God who justifies us(Romans 5:18-19).
6---It is God who sanctifies us(Hebrews 10:10).
7---It is God who glorifies us(1Corinthians 15:53-55).

As you can see, the order of salvation is the work of God from start to finish. We as believers have already put God given faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. We have yet to be glorified. Unbelievers are of course still at the first Order Of Salvation(redemption).
If the Pope and The Roman Catholic Church believe in Unlmited Atonement, then they do believe in Universalism, or at least hopeful universalism.
Thanks PhilosChristos for showing me how to separate paragraphs by hitting the enter button on my keyboard. Blessings to you.
unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:06:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 10:50:02 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.

I think that the Pope mean to say that every single individual, be him/her atheist or otherwise, has the potential to be with God when his/her life comes to an end. Atheists have to potential, for example, to embrace a relationship with God and so are capable of "going to heaven," as it were.

It seems clear, to me, at any rate, that someone who freely rejects God and rejects His offer to be with Him after his/her death will get his/her wish and be eternally separated from God.

How does one "freely" reject God? If God is the essence of the Good, and people are somewhat rational and informed, how do they reject the greatest possible good?
In order to "choose" separation from God, one would either have to be (i) completely irrational or (ii) wildly uninformed to such an extent that there is no choice (in any sense of the word).

On the Pope, it certainly does sound like something approaching Universalism. I'd love for this position to be a little more mainstream. Thinkers like Robin Parry and Tom Talbott have made a pretty bulletproof case for it in academia, IMO.
rjohnson741
Posts: 215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 3:24:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 2:06:35 PM, unitedandy wrote:
At 5/30/2013 10:50:02 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.

I think that the Pope mean to say that every single individual, be him/her atheist or otherwise, has the potential to be with God when his/her life comes to an end. Atheists have to potential, for example, to embrace a relationship with God and so are capable of "going to heaven," as it were.

It seems clear, to me, at any rate, that someone who freely rejects God and rejects His offer to be with Him after his/her death will get his/her wish and be eternally separated from God.


How does one "freely" reject God? If God is the essence of the Good, and people are somewhat rational and informed, how do they reject the greatest possible good?
In order to "choose" separation from God, one would either have to be (i) completely irrational or (ii) wildly uninformed to such an extent that there is no choice (in any sense of the word).

On the Pope, it certainly does sound like something approaching Universalism. I'd love for this position to be a little more mainstream. Thinkers like Robin Parry and Tom Talbott have made a pretty bulletproof case for it in academia, IMO.

You are correct Unitedandy. No rational fully informed person would choose to be separated from God and tormented forever. Once God has delivered the sinner from the irrational nature of sin through regeneration, that sinner will always voluntarily choose to accept and put God given faith in Christ. We as christians are proof of that.
The Roman Catholic Church believe that Christ died for all mankind. They also believe it is permissible to pray for the salvation of all mankind. So they do believe in hopeful universalism so to speak.
Sqig
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:25:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 7:06:48 AM, drhead wrote:
At 5/30/2013 11:11:08 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Glad to see this is a misunderstanding.

So does this mean you are glad that people will go to hell, even if they do good, simply because of their beliefs, and that people who do evil will go to heaven?

Do you think you are a good person? Here's a test to find out:
1. Have you ever told a lie?
2. Have you ever stolen anything, even if it was small?
3. Jesus taught that lust is the same as adultry at heart, have you ever lusted?

If you answered these questions honestly, then you have probably just admitted to being a lying, thieving, adulterer at heart and that is only three of the ten commandments. If you were judged by this standard on judgement day you would be guilty. Since God is just and holy he cannot let any evil or sin go unpayed for, and the payment for sin is death and hell.

So you see, God doesn't send any good people to hell because there are good people. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and because of that we are all deserving of hell. So trying to get to Heaven by being a good person is impossible because no amount of good deeds we do can pay for our sin. Furthermore, God doesn't owe any of us mercy or a second chance.

But since God does love us he sent Jesus to live a perfect life and die for our sins. Since Jesus never sinned he never should have died, but on the cross he took our sins upon himself and paid the fine for our sins. He did this so that anyone who would truly repent of their sins and trust in him alone for their salvation could be judged as righteous on judgement day.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:00:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Vatican spokepeople actually came out and corrected The Pope. Didn't even know they could do that. I'm guessing it's more like a North Korea kind of thing. The Pope is just there to look high and mighty.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:06:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 9:00:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Vatican spokepeople actually came out and corrected The Pope. Didn't even know they could do that. I'm guessing it's more like a North Korea kind of thing. The Pope is just there to look high and mighty.

Are you sure they corrected him, and didn't just clarify what he was saying? According to this Washington Post article, the Vatican issued an "explanatory note." The article interprets it as a correction based on the assumption that the Pope said good deeds can earn atheists entrance into heaven. But that is a misunderstanding of what the Pope said, so I question the accuracy of this article when it says the Vatican "corrected" the Pope.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:36:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 9:06:56 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/31/2013 9:00:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Vatican spokepeople actually came out and corrected The Pope. Didn't even know they could do that. I'm guessing it's more like a North Korea kind of thing. The Pope is just there to look high and mighty.

Are you sure they corrected him, and didn't just clarify what he was saying? According to this Washington Times article, the Vatican issued an "explanatory note." The article interprets it as a correction based on the assumption that the Pope said good deeds can earn atheists entrance into heaven. But that is a misunderstanding of what the Pope said, so I question the accuracy of this article when it says the Vatican "corrected" the Pope.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

Corrected
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:41:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now, it's "if you are lucky enough to never hear of the Catholic Church, you can go to heaven based upon good deeds" .... but if you do those same good deeds - and learn about and reject the Catholic Church - you are lost." ?????????????

Is that the gyst of the "correction"? If so, I have a suggestion for them.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:13:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/30/2013 10:50:02 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 5/30/2013 9:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Pope Francis recently said,

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone," the pope told worshipers at morning Mass on Wednesday. ""Father, the atheists?" Even the atheists. Everyone!"

Francis continued, "We must meet one another doing good. "But I don"t believe, Father, I am an atheist!" But do good: we will meet one another there." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

I gather there are at least two schools of thought among Christians. One is that redemption derives only from faith, and the other that redemption derives from living a moral life. Pope Francis may be gaining popularity with some of the non-religious and losing some popularity with the religious. A thing about being Pope is not worrying about the next election.

I think that the Pope mean to say that every single individual, be him/her atheist or otherwise, has the potential to be with God when his/her life comes to an end. Atheists have to potential, for example, to embrace a relationship with God and so are capable of "going to heaven," as it were.

It seems clear, to me, at any rate, that someone who freely rejects God and rejects His offer to be with Him after his/her death will get his/her wish and be eternally separated from God.

What else is god planning to do in the future, does he write you notes or whisper in your shell like for these divine insights?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 11:41:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 8:25:21 PM, Sqig wrote:
At 5/31/2013 7:06:48 AM, drhead wrote:
At 5/30/2013 11:11:08 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Glad to see this is a misunderstanding.

So does this mean you are glad that people will go to hell, even if they do good, simply because of their beliefs, and that people who do evil will go to heaven?

Do you think you are a good person? Here's a test to find out:
1. Have you ever told a lie?
2. Have you ever stolen anything, even if it was small?
3. Jesus taught that lust is the same as adultry at heart, have you ever lusted?

If you answered these questions honestly, then you have probably just admitted to being a lying, thieving, adulterer at heart and that is only three of the ten commandments. If you were judged by this standard on judgement day you would be guilty. Since God is just and holy he cannot let any evil or sin go unpayed for, and the payment for sin is death and hell.

So you see, God doesn't send any good people to hell because there are good people. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and because of that we are all deserving of hell. So trying to get to Heaven by being a good person is impossible because no amount of good deeds we do can pay for our sin. Furthermore, God doesn't owe any of us mercy or a second chance.

But since God does love us he sent Jesus to live a perfect life and die for our sins. Since Jesus never sinned he never should have died, but on the cross he took our sins upon himself and paid the fine for our sins. He did this so that anyone who would truly repent of their sins and trust in him alone for their salvation could be judged as righteous on judgement day.

So if I lied to someone in order to, say, save a plane full of , that would be bad, and justifies lifetime punishment? What kind of deluded logic is this, where you can call someone who imposes Draconian penalties on people (who he created as his playthings), clearly showing incapability of showing empathy (which I'd think would be found in a "perfect being"), a benevolent god?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 3:37:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 9:06:56 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/31/2013 9:00:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Vatican spokepeople actually came out and corrected The Pope. Didn't even know they could do that. I'm guessing it's more like a North Korea kind of thing. The Pope is just there to look high and mighty.

Are you sure they corrected him, and didn't just clarify what he was saying? According to this Washington Post article, the Vatican issued an "explanatory note." The article interprets it as a correction based on the assumption that the Pope said good deeds can earn atheists entrance into heaven. But that is a misunderstanding of what the Pope said, so I question the accuracy of this article when it says the Vatican "corrected" the Pope.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

You're right to do so. As Fr. Damick put it:

'Enormous theological ignorance and bad reading exploded onto the scene this week:'
Sqig
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 10:21:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/31/2013 11:41:26 PM, drhead wrote:
At 5/31/2013 8:25:21 PM, Sqig wrote:
At 5/31/2013 7:06:48 AM, drhead wrote:
At 5/30/2013 11:11:08 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Glad to see this is a misunderstanding.

So does this mean you are glad that people will go to hell, even if they do good, simply because of their beliefs, and that people who do evil will go to heaven?

Do you think you are a good person? Here's a test to find out:
1. Have you ever told a lie?
2. Have you ever stolen anything, even if it was small?
3. Jesus taught that lust is the same as adultry at heart, have you ever lusted?

If you answered these questions honestly, then you have probably just admitted to being a lying, thieving, adulterer at heart and that is only three of the ten commandments. If you were judged by this standard on judgement day you would be guilty. Since God is just and holy he cannot let any evil or sin go unpayed for, and the payment for sin is death and hell.

So you see, God doesn't send any good people to hell because there are good people. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and because of that we are all deserving of hell. So trying to get to Heaven by being a good person is impossible because no amount of good deeds we do can pay for our sin. Furthermore, God doesn't owe any of us mercy or a second chance.

But since God does love us he sent Jesus to live a perfect life and die for our sins. Since Jesus never sinned he never should have died, but on the cross he took our sins upon himself and paid the fine for our sins. He did this so that anyone who would truly repent of their sins and trust in him alone for their salvation could be judged as righteous on judgement day.

So if I lied to someone in order to, say, save a plane full of , that would be bad, and justifies lifetime punishment? What kind of deluded logic is this, where you can call someone who imposes Draconian penalties on people (who he created as his playthings), clearly showing incapability of showing empathy (which I'd think would be found in a "perfect being"), a benevolent god?

In Joshua chapter two, Rahab, a woman who lived in Jericho, told a lie to protect two Israelite spies. As result she was spared her life when the Israelites attacked later, and she was praised for her faith in Hebrews 11:31. So if you are caught in a moral dilemma and lying is absolutely the only way to save a plane full of people, then your lie would be justified.

But chances are you have lied for no other reason than personal gain, and you have probably stolen something just because you wanted it. Most likely you have also lusted, blasphemed God who gave you life, and hated someone which is murder at heart. We are all exceedingly sinful and evil. Most people don't see it that way because they compare themselves to other sinful people. But on judgement day you won't be judged by sinful humans, but by a just and holy God. Since God is just and holy, he must punish all evil. He must punish murderers, adulterers, fornicators, blasphemers, liars, and thieves. Gods holiness is like a consumeing fire, and if you haven't revived Jesus' forgiveness you are like a dry leaf. The fire has no choice, it must burn up the leaf. In the same way, Gods holiness has no choice but to burn up any unrighteousness. If God wasn't merciful he would have killed us all and sent us to hell.

But since God is merciful, Jesus lived a perfect life and took our sins upon himself and absorbed Gods wrath, so that we may be judged as righteous on judgement day if we accept his forgiveness by repenting and trusting in him. I urge you to stop trying to justify yourself and throw away your pride. Admit your sins, repent of them and turn to God.