Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

An Actual Religious Debate

Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 12:31:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've watched it before. It's very energetic, but off topic.....a lot. Krauss is a physicist not a philosopher and not a very good debater imo.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:21:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lawrence Krauss doesn't strike me as a man who would be a good religious debater, and Hamza Tzortis is an idiot. So, I don't think I'll watch this.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:23:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have noticed lately that posted videos don't show, anyone else got that problem ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 9:23:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I absolutely LOVE Krauss as a physicist. And I think it is vitally important to have him help educate the population through these TV debates. But I agree he is still "kind of" out of place in a serious theological debate. It takes a lot of years of doing this thing before you get to the Hitchens-level. Richard Dawkins is better trained in theological debates, but he "too" is still viewed by some as inadequately "educated" in theology. I am not sure I agree on that tho. R.D. has spent a major part of his life combating religious thinking.
So Krauss is somewhat new at this. But you have to start somewhere. And I'm glad we have Dawkins and Krauss out there working together in this. An evolutionary biologist and an physicist.
Both of them have a marvelous base of knowledge, and together they manage to answer most things. And they have heard out almost every religious argument there is, and know how to debunk them.

This debate is one of many out there. And these debates will be stored in Earth's database for thousands of years to come. The more we have, the more educated we become. Even a bad debate, is a debate we can learn from.

There are 7,1 billion humans on Earth. Over 5 billion of them are "religious". Thus, over 5 billion humans are WRONG. We need a more educated world. Go Krauss!
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 12:42:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 9:23:37 AM, Curaodo wrote:
I absolutely LOVE Krauss as a physicist. And I think it is vitally important to have him help educate the population through these TV debates. But I agree he is still "kind of" out of place in a serious theological debate. It takes a lot of years of doing this thing before you get to the Hitchens-level. Richard Dawkins is better trained in theological debates, but he "too" is still viewed by some as inadequately "educated" in theology. I am not sure I agree on that tho. R.D. has spent a major part of his life combating religious thinking.
So Krauss is somewhat new at this. But you have to start somewhere. And I'm glad we have Dawkins and Krauss out there working together in this. An evolutionary biologist and an physicist.
Both of them have a marvelous base of knowledge, and together they manage to answer most things. And they have heard out almost every religious argument there is, and know how to debunk them.

This debate is one of many out there. And these debates will be stored in Earth's database for thousands of years to come. The more we have, the more educated we become. Even a bad debate, is a debate we can learn from.

There are 7,1 billion humans on Earth. Over 5 billion of them are "religious". Thus, over 5 billion humans are WRONG. We need a more educated world. Go Krauss!

Ever read the book The Wisdom of Crowds? I can't really wrap my head around it...
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 12:46:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sadly no. I've got a TON of books I wanna get through on the subject of religion. Reading "The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins" atm. But I've got to read up on my math and physics for this fall's semester. Too much knowledge to cram into my head in too little time ha ha.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 12:49:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 12:46:12 PM, Curaodo wrote:
Sadly no. I've got a TON of books I wanna get through on the subject of religion. Reading "The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins" atm. But I've got to read up on my math and physics for this fall's semester. Too much knowledge to cram into my head in too little time ha ha.

"The God delusion" was alright, but his arguments for Atheism were somewhat lacking. If you want a good read from a professional philosopher, I would recommend Richard Carrier's book "Sense and Goodness without God: A Case for Metaphysical Naturalism". His arguments for Atheism are much more sophisticated and compelling. I have been going back and forth with Carrier personally through e-mail, and he is a very intelligent and well informed individual.
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 12:53:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's something almost miraculous about what's expounded on in The Wisdom of Crowds.
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 12:56:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's not a religious book either, but it certainly brings St. Luke and his "The kingdom of God is within man" to mind.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:12:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think atheists should debate Islam, unless it is about God only. Most have no idea what Islam says. Enjoy the debate, Krauss is a little confused there with all the black holes swirling in his brain.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:16:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:12:40 PM, Mirza wrote:
I don't think atheists should debate Islam, unless it is about God only. Most have no idea what Islam says.

You could say the same about a lot of Muslims. Lacking knowledge in a subject should not preclude one from debating it, just ask creationists.

Enjoy the debate, Krauss is a little confused there with all the black holes swirling in his brain.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:18:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:16:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
You could say the same about a lot of Muslims.
Correct, and?

Lacking knowledge in a subject should not preclude one from debating it, just ask creationists.
Theists who debate atheism almost exclusively focus on the part of God's existence. Atheists who debate Islam tend to go nowhere near the real topic. If the topic is Islam, and not just God's existence, then you are expected to know something about it.
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:28:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:12:40 PM, Mirza wrote:
I don't think atheists should debate Islam, unless it is about God only. Most have no idea what Islam says. Enjoy the debate, Krauss is a little confused there with all the black holes swirling in his brain.

Wait WHAT?! Ugh......
Why do you think you are above criticism? And on another matter, atheists? Really? I don't know where to start with you.
I know of several 5 year olds in the kindergarten I work in that have more sound reasoning than you Sir. We don't even teach criticism here in Norway, it just comes natural.
You SERIOUSLY want nobody to even question your belief system just.....because? And what's with the respect for the word "Islam" and not God?

Since I don't know much about Islam, you would have to explain that.
But really? As long as non-believers attack the other faiths it's ok? Oooooh boy.....
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:32:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Curaodo -- I could give an in-depth explanation of your complete lack of understanding and reading comprehension, but I'll digress. Other than that you're allowed to read it again, or I'll embarrass you until you leave this website.

What I said was - most atheist debaters have zero fundamental understanding of Islam, and on that basis they should rather focus on debating its core tenet (theism) and no other teachings. That has nothing to do with wanting to be above criticism.

Misinterpret what I said once more, Ma'am. Go ahead.
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:45:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Curaodo -- I could give an in-depth explanation of your complete lack of understanding and reading comprehension, but I'll digress. Other than that you're allowed to read it again, or I'll embarrass you until you leave this website.

You threaten me? Really? Weak, but still.
My reading comprehension? What are you on about?

What I said was - most atheist debaters have zero fundamental understanding of Islam

You know why right? Islamic atheists keep DEAD silence or else they'll be killed or expelled from their families. Naturally the only atheists that speak up against Islam are those from a non-muslim upbringing.

and on that basis they should rather focus on debating its core tenet (theism) and no other teachings.

I agree. You can't really debate something you don't know about. But since there are ZERO muslim atheists, SOMEBODY has to do the job, and that would be the non-muslim atheists.

Your thoughts on this?
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:47:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If the topic is Islam, and not just God's existence, then you are expected to know something about it.

I agree. We need more muslim atheists.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:49:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I maintain that religion is dependent on forces diametrically opposed to the finality of human logic. There can therefore be no such thing as an "actual religious debate."
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 3:53:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 3:45:55 PM, Curaodo wrote:
You threaten me? Really? Weak, but still.
My reading comprehension? What are you on about?
It's a warning. I don't like misrepresentation. Your reading comprehension is awful, and considering you have no idea what you're talking about, I think you should visit elementary again. Or extend your time there if you're still hanging in.

You know why right? Islamic atheists keep DEAD silence or else they'll be killed or expelled from their families. Naturally the only atheists that speak up against Islam are those from a non-muslim upbringing.
Good Lord -- stop taking drugs and address my argument Ma'am. So, you're saying ex-Muslims don't speak against Islam. And? If some HAPPEN to do so, then clearly they should know how to debate ITS TEACHINGS. Collect yourself.

I agree. You can't really debate something you don't know about.
Correct. You're one step ahead toward achieving common sense.

But since there are ZERO muslim atheists,
You said there are but are silent? Okay.

SOMEBODY has to do the job, and that would be the non-muslim atheists.

Your thoughts on this?
My thoughts are this: You don't know what you're talking about, you're likely to still be in elementary, and your phrases are way over your head and everything I said.

Do hit the road ASAP.
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:23:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Mirza, you are ONE angry insulting bastard.
I have done you NOTHING, yet you started insulting me from the very first second.

Again with the reading comprehension. If you don't give me an example on what exactly I read "wrong", I might as well just start pulling your own reading comprehension into question.

Stop the insults already. I haven't done anything but address your post about debating Islam. I am also a 27 year old male I'll have you know.
I'll also have you know that your post has been reported. And I advice others to do the same. This guy has no place here if he continues this attitude.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:24:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:23:31 PM, Curaodo wrote:
Mirza, you are ONE angry insulting bastard.
I have done you NOTHING, yet you started insulting me from the very first second.

Again with the reading comprehension. If you don't give me an example on what exactly I read "wrong", I might as well just start pulling your own reading comprehension into question.

Stop the insults already. I haven't done anything but address your post about debating Islam. I am also a 27 year old male I'll have you know.
I'll also have you know that your post has been reported. And I advice others to do the same. This guy has no place here if he continues this attitude.

Amen.

(pun intended)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:25:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In my first response to you I said exactly where you got me wrong. If stating a fact against you insulting, then let it be. You're welcome to report, and have a nice day. And please do learn how to read.
Curaodo
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:26:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It appears that as soon as someone is "against" you Mirza you attack violently with insult after insult after insult.
And when I agreed with you you insulted me again. Go to bed, or have an energy bar or something. You clearly are not in the mood for anything right now.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:29:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ike, you're welcome not to show up every time someone comments on me. Clearly you're obsessed. If you have something to say on your own, proceed. Talk to the moderators or something.

Curaodo -- I said, "most atheist debaters have zero fundamental understanding of Islam, and on that basis they should rather focus on debating its core tenet (theism) and no other teachings. That has nothing to do with wanting to be above criticism."

Your response: "Muslim atheists (ex-muslims) don't dare speak against Islam!" If you can't see where you misunderstood, then why be insulted at my comment? I'm not telling you to learn how to understand what you read just to insult you. You clearly have to learn that if you want a proper discussion.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:34:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:29:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
Ike, you're welcome not to show up every time someone comments on me. Clearly you're obsessed. If you have something to say on your own, proceed. Talk to the moderators or something.

shut the hell up, you do exactly the same thing. Only you're far worse and more aggressive about it.

there's nothing worse than hypocrites.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:39:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 4:34:19 PM, 000ike wrote:
shut the hell up, you do exactly the same thing. Only you're far worse and more aggressive about it.

there's nothing worse than hypocrites.
I don't recall following your exchanges with others only to pop in and agree with them, or stand up against you for the sake of someone else. You have no ground of your own to stand on.

So, can you tell me where I "did the same thing"? Hurry boy.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 4:40:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/6/2013 1:13:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/6/2013 11:17:36 AM, innomen wrote:
At 6/6/2013 5:35:02 AM, 000ike wrote:
While Chris Matthews has no business being on television, MSNBC has Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes who are brilliant, honest, and never angry.

You have REEAAALLLYYY low standards if you think they're "brilliant".

I guess, in the land of 10 watt bulbs, a 15 shall lead the way.
The idiot likes the other idiot. That's why he sucks up to the MSNBC pundits, who make a great comedy group.

For the liberals, everything you say against Obama is racist. Because he is black, he must be immune to criticism. There's no such thing as scandal for a black president. There's no such thing as bad policies. Save your criticism for the white president.

They're all nutjobs.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault