Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Secular Bible Study

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:16:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A study for the non-religious who are interested in analyzing The Bible, particularly The New Testament and sharing their opinions with each other. Sign up and I'll create a PM.

1. FREEDO
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:27:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:20:44 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:16:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
A study for the non-religious who are interested in analyzing The Bible, particularly The New Testament and sharing their opinions with each other. Sign up and I'll create a PM.

1. FREEDO
2. Cody
3. SarcasticIndeed
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
TULIP
Posts: 398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:29:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why not leave it on here?? Instead of PMing. Just curious.
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:31:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:29:20 PM, TULIP wrote:
Why not leave it on here?? Instead of PMing. Just curious.

The point would be to keep it secular.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:33:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.

Alright, I'm in.

1. FREEDO
2. Cody
3. Muzebreak
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
TULIP
Posts: 398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:48:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:31:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:29:20 PM, TULIP wrote:
Why not leave it on here?? Instead of PMing. Just curious.

The point would be to keep it secular.

Uh huh... I c... Well, I hope u kno what ur doing... :/
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:49:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:43:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Btw, this will be our preferred translation:
http://www.lolcatbible.com...

You just made my night. Thank you.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:50:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:48:48 PM, TULIP wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:31:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:29:20 PM, TULIP wrote:
Why not leave it on here?? Instead of PMing. Just curious.

The point would be to keep it secular.

Uh huh... I c... Well, I hope u kno what ur doing... :/

It would be much appreciated if you refrained from butchering the English language like that.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 7:50:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:48:48 PM, TULIP wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:31:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:29:20 PM, TULIP wrote:
Why not leave it on here?? Instead of PMing. Just curious.

The point would be to keep it secular.

Uh huh... I c... Well, I hope u kno what ur doing... :/

I could voice the same hope to theists. They're really the ones to use it for moral and political guidance, after all.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:35:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There happen to be experts on this subject who have actually studied, you know, theology: http://forums.civfanatics.com...
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 8:53:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 8:35:34 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
There happen to be experts on this subject who have actually studied, you know, theology: http://forums.civfanatics.com...

No there aren't Eitan. We all know that no one actually studies. God Eitan, don't be so naive.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:07:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 9:42:39 PM, Rusty wrote:
Is there any possible way I can be in this if I don't talk?

I am curious why you would want to be in this, with the Bible they are using and considering it is with people who do not believe in God? I could understand if you wanted to insert your opinions, but you want to learn from that discussion?
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 10:27:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:33:25 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.

Alright, I'm in.

1. FREEDO
2. Cody
3. SarcasticIndeed
4. muzebreak
5. emospongebob527
6.
7.
8.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:18:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 10:07:49 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/8/2013 9:42:39 PM, Rusty wrote:
Is there any possible way I can be in this if I don't talk?

I am curious why you would want to be in this, with the Bible they are using and considering it is with people who do not believe in God? I could understand if you wanted to insert your opinions, but you want to learn from that discussion?

Of course. Why wouldn't I?
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:22:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 11:18:45 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 6/8/2013 10:07:49 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/8/2013 9:42:39 PM, Rusty wrote:
Is there any possible way I can be in this if I don't talk?

I am curious why you would want to be in this, with the Bible they are using and considering it is with people who do not believe in God? I could understand if you wanted to insert your opinions, but you want to learn from that discussion?

Of course. Why wouldn't I?

What would you hope to gain from it?
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:36:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 11:22:02 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/8/2013 11:18:45 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 6/8/2013 10:07:49 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/8/2013 9:42:39 PM, Rusty wrote:
Is there any possible way I can be in this if I don't talk?

I am curious why you would want to be in this, with the Bible they are using and considering it is with people who do not believe in God? I could understand if you wanted to insert your opinions, but you want to learn from that discussion?

Of course. Why wouldn't I?

What would you hope to gain from it?

Perspective.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:42:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To elaborate, I've never really been around a group of non-Christians who sat down to talk about the Bible in this way before. It would be interesting to see how they approach it, what analytic tools they use, what points they come to, how they deal with disagreements among themselves, etc. I would actually be really interested in this.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:45:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 11:42:59 PM, Rusty wrote:
To elaborate, I've never really been around a group of non-Christians who sat down to talk about the Bible in this way before. It would be interesting to see how they approach it, what analytic tools they use, what points they come to, how they deal with disagreements among themselves, etc. I would actually be really interested in this.

Indeed. Nothing wrong with that.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2013 11:49:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 11:45:52 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/8/2013 11:42:59 PM, Rusty wrote:
To elaborate, I've never really been around a group of non-Christians who sat down to talk about the Bible in this way before. It would be interesting to see how they approach it, what analytic tools they use, what points they come to, how they deal with disagreements among themselves, etc. I would actually be really interested in this.

Indeed. Nothing wrong with that.

Glad you approve. ;)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 2:21:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 9:42:39 PM, Rusty wrote:
Is there any possible way I can be in this if I don't talk?

Yeah, I don't see a problem with that. Unless it makes anyone uncomfortable for some reason.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 2:22:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 11:42:59 PM, Rusty wrote:
To elaborate, I've never really been around a group of non-Christians who sat down to talk about the Bible in this way before. It would be interesting to see how they approach it, what analytic tools they use, what points they come to, how they deal with disagreements among themselves, etc. I would actually be really interested in this.

I've been going to bible studies with Christians for years.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 3:05:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 10:27:37 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:33:25 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.

Alright, I'm in.

1. FREEDO
2. Cody
3. SarcasticIndeed
4. muzebreak
5. emospongebob527
6. Wallstreetatheist
7.
8.

John 3:16 So liek teh Ceiling Kitteh lieks teh ppl lots and he sez 'Oh hai I givez u me only kitteh and ifs u beleeves him u wont evr diez no moar, kthxbai!'

AAAAAMEN!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 5:38:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.

Maybe if something stands out to the group it could be discussed here with the non-secular?
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:25:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 3:05:26 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/8/2013 10:27:37 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:33:25 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.

Alright, I'm in.

1. FREEDO
2. Cody
3. SarcasticIndeed
4. muzebreak
5. emospongebob527
6. Wallstreetatheist
7.
8.

John 3:16 So liek teh Ceiling Kitteh lieks teh ppl lots and he sez 'Oh hai I givez u me only kitteh and ifs u beleeves him u wont evr diez no moar, kthxbai!'

AAAAAMEN!

I see you try and joke a lot but never does anyone remark back saying you are funny. Maybe there is a reason. Maybe it is your jokes that lack any substance or character.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 6:30:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 6:25:42 AM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/9/2013 3:05:26 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/8/2013 10:27:37 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:33:25 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:20:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/8/2013 7:18:17 PM, muzebreak wrote:
How's this gonna work, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

We could just post verses as we find them and talk about them or we could be more organized and focus on certain topics or sections. However it ends up.

Alright, I'm in.

1. FREEDO
2. Cody
3. SarcasticIndeed
4. muzebreak
5. emospongebob527
6. Wallstreetatheist
7.
8.

John 3:16 So liek teh Ceiling Kitteh lieks teh ppl lots and he sez 'Oh hai I givez u me only kitteh and ifs u beleeves him u wont evr diez no moar, kthxbai!'

AAAAAMEN!

I see you try and joke a lot but never does anyone remark back saying you are funny. Maybe there is a reason. Maybe it is your jokes that lack any substance or character.

Don't you worry about it, he's funny. We just don't feel the need to inflate his ego.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.