Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Was 'God' invented?

ATHOS
Posts: 123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 9:38:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It seems more likely that "God" is just an idea.
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 9:41:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 9:38:54 PM, ATHOS wrote:
It seems more likely that "God" is just an idea.

All Gods are made up...........except the one you believe in :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ATHOS
Posts: 123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:45:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

You seem to have a specific god in mind ?
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:49:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 9:41:41 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:38:54 PM, ATHOS wrote:
It seems more likely that "God" is just an idea.

All Gods are made up...........except the one you believe in :)

No, Christianity believes, the deities are very real, they are not gods though.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:55:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

On the off-chance that you genuinely do care about the truth of the subject:

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com...
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:56:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

But you still give it the same name as the Christian god; God?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:01:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

Sovereign, aren't you Catholic?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:05:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:01:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

Sovereign, aren't you Catholic?

Yes
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:06:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 5:56:20 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

But you still give it the same name as the Christian god; God?

Right, but words are placeholders for meanings. Whereas by "God" I may have such and such philosophical understanding of the word, another nincompoop may think that, say, "God" refers to some physical being which inhabits a given spatio-temporal location in the universe.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:05:03 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:01:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

Sovereign, aren't you Catholic?

Yes

So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:16:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?

I doubt it. Saying it, doesn't make it true. If you were married and I was macking on her at work and bringing flowers to her and such and such, though she did not respond to me but did not tell you, you would be jealous and if you were not, you do not deserve her.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:27:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:05:03 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:01:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

Sovereign, aren't you Catholic?

Yes

So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.

Right, these are, as you mention, representations of God which happen to be anthropomorphic. What compels me to agree with them?
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:28:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:27:18 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:05:03 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:01:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:53:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Right. That's why I and others so oppose theistic personalism, which is characterized as the attributing to and understating God in anthropomorphic and attitudes.

Sovereign, aren't you Catholic?

Yes

So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.

Right, these are, as you mention, representations of God which happen to be anthropomorphic. What compels me to agree with them?

The religion you follow?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:46:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:28:10 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:27:18 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.

Right, these are, as you mention, representations of God which happen to be anthropomorphic. What compels me to agree with them?

The religion you follow?

How so?
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:50:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:46:12 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:28:10 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:27:18 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.

Right, these are, as you mention, representations of God which happen to be anthropomorphic. What compels me to agree with them?

The religion you follow?

How so?

Well supposedly they are the characteristics of your god.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:52:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:50:52 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:46:12 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:28:10 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:27:18 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.

Right, these are, as you mention, representations of God which happen to be anthropomorphic. What compels me to agree with them?

The religion you follow?

How so?

Well supposedly they are the characteristics of your god.

If you're implying that it is necessary for one to be a biblical inerrant-ist in order to be a Christian/Catholic, then I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:53:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
God is a fact and it doesn't need to be proven scientifically or physically because God is not a physical artifact to be dug up.

God is an ontological ground of being.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 6:56:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:52:40 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:50:52 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:46:12 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:28:10 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:27:18 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:07:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
So you believe in an anthropomorphic God then, sort of by definition: that's what the Bible represents, certainly. Taking bets on people's lives, able to be bargained with, jealous (explicitly so), etc.

Right, these are, as you mention, representations of God which happen to be anthropomorphic. What compels me to agree with them?

The religion you follow?

How so?

Well supposedly they are the characteristics of your god.

If you're implying that it is necessary for one to be a biblical inerrant-ist in order to be a Christian/Catholic, then I disagree.

How do you spot the errors?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 7:07:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:16:10 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?

I doubt it. Saying it, doesn't make it true. If you were married and I was macking on her at work and bringing flowers to her and such and such, though she did not respond to me but did not tell you, you would be jealous and if you were not, you do not deserve her.

"Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive." - Havelock Ellis

Jealousy is for the weak.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 7:13:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:53:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
God is a fact and it doesn't need to be proven scientifically or physically because God is not a physical artifact to be dug up.

God is an ontological ground of being.

Facts don't need to be proven? K.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 7:21:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 6:53:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
God is a fact and it doesn't need to be proven scientifically or physically because God is not a physical artifact to be dug up.

God is an ontological ground of being.

You can bare-assert that God's existence is a fact, I can bare-assert God's non-existence is a fact. Thus, we are at a stalemate. Either way, we aren't left with the conclusion that God is a fact.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 7:33:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 7:07:05 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:16:10 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?

I doubt it. Saying it, doesn't make it true. If you were married and I was macking on her at work and bringing flowers to her and such and such, though she did not respond to me but did not tell you, you would be jealous and if you were not, you do not deserve her.


"Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive." - Havelock Ellis

Jealousy is for the weak.

I agree that some jealousy is weak, most certainly. There is also jealousy that is good jealousy. There are numerous physiology articles on the topic that explain both.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 10:03:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 7:33:47 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 7:07:05 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:16:10 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?

I doubt it. Saying it, doesn't make it true. If you were married and I was macking on her at work and bringing flowers to her and such and such, though she did not respond to me but did not tell you, you would be jealous and if you were not, you do not deserve her.


"Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive." - Havelock Ellis

Jealousy is for the weak.

I agree that some jealousy is weak, most certainly. There is also jealousy that is good jealousy. There are numerous physiology articles on the topic that explain both.

Good jealousy is the kind that drives you to be better. For example, if you are good guitar player but someone is better, then this can drive you to be better than you were previously. However, a lot of the time this can lead to cheating and sabotage. Most importantly, if God exists then he is the best he can be. What kind other kind of good jealousy is there, than jealousy that aids in your improvement?
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:09:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 10:03:57 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 7:33:47 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 7:07:05 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:16:10 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?

I doubt it. Saying it, doesn't make it true. If you were married and I was macking on her at work and bringing flowers to her and such and such, though she did not respond to me but did not tell you, you would be jealous and if you were not, you do not deserve her.


"Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive." - Havelock Ellis

Jealousy is for the weak.

I agree that some jealousy is weak, most certainly. There is also jealousy that is good jealousy. There are numerous physiology articles on the topic that explain both.

Good jealousy is the kind that drives you to be better. For example, if you are good guitar player but someone is better, then this can drive you to be better than you were previously. However, a lot of the time this can lead to cheating and sabotage. Most importantly, if God exists then he is the best he can be. What kind other kind of good jealousy is there, than jealousy that aids in your improvement?

God is jealous over false gods tempting His flock. Your description can be good jealousy and bad also, what if you couldn't be better than that person because they simply have more talent? It becomes envy. Good jealousy can drive for the better.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:54:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 10:03:57 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 7:33:47 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 7:07:05 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/10/2013 6:16:10 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/10/2013 5:55:47 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/9/2013 9:52:42 PM, ATHOS wrote:
God displays humanistic characteristics that suggests he/it is neither all powerful or all knowing, therefore, suggesting human origins- Physical, psychological and emotional similarities.

Agreed. Like when Theists say God is jealous...My little cousin can get over petty ape like emotions such as jealousy, but an all powerful God is jealous?

I doubt it. Saying it, doesn't make it true. If you were married and I was macking on her at work and bringing flowers to her and such and such, though she did not respond to me but did not tell you, you would be jealous and if you were not, you do not deserve her.


"Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive." - Havelock Ellis

Jealousy is for the weak.

I agree that some jealousy is weak, most certainly. There is also jealousy that is good jealousy. There are numerous physiology articles on the topic that explain both.

Good jealousy is the kind that drives you to be better. For example, if you are good guitar player but someone is better, then this can drive you to be better than you were previously. However, a lot of the time this can lead to cheating and sabotage. Most importantly, if God exists then he is the best he can be. What kind other kind of good jealousy is there, than jealousy that aids in your improvement?


The word used is "qinah", which actually translates to Passionate. But, do you believe it is wrong for a husband to be upset at another man who is trying to woo his wife? Sure, the husband knows his wife would never succumb to the mans seduction, but this doesn't mean the man is not rightfully jealous?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.