Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Not All Religious Leaders Are Evil

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 11:52:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.

9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard writ in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.

10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.

11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.

12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 12:23:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't know why John Shelby Sponge continues to call himself a Christian. He denies everything that makes Christianity what it is. He has this book called Why Christianity Must Change or Die, but what he's really trying to do is create a completely different religion and call it Christianity. He should just be honest about it. He is the epitome of a wolf in sheep's clothing by calling himself a Christian and denying everything Christianity is about and trying to mislead everybody into thinking that his vision is what Christianity ought to be. I would have a lot more respect for him if he just openly said Christianity isn't true.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 12:30:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/12/2013 12:23:35 AM, philochristos wrote:
I don't know why John Shelby Sponge continues to call himself a Christian. He denies everything that makes Christianity what it is. He has this book called Why Christianity Must Change or Die, but what he's really trying to do is create a completely different religion and call it Christianity. He should just be honest about it. He is the epitome of a wolf in sheep's clothing by calling himself a Christian and denying everything Christianity is about and trying to mislead everybody into thinking that his vision is what Christianity ought to be. I would have a lot more respect for him if he just openly said Christianity isn't true.

Wow none of the 38,000 sects have ever done that before.........oh wait.......
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 2:15:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/12/2013 1:25:46 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
Oh and I say this stuff and I'm a troll...

Oh he is a troll. You called it right.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 2:38:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/12/2013 2:15:37 AM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/12/2013 1:25:46 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
Oh and I say this stuff and I'm a troll...

Oh he is a troll. You called it right.

And you are one of the glacially fearful. At least I'm happy.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 8:10:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 11:52:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.

9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard writ in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.

10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.

11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.

12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

First that depends on whether you are applying a human definition of evil or God's.

God's definition of an evil person is one who teaches against Him and His son, and since a true follower of Christ only has one leader, Christ himself, and he is no way evil, I suppose the answer is that all who set themselves up, or are set up as religious leaders here one earth are evil in God's eyes.

Matthew 23:10 Neither be called "leaders," for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among YOU must be YOUR minister. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Yet another scripture which shows how far away from Christ's teachings the vast majority of modern day churches are.
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 8:20:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/12/2013 8:10:42 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 6/11/2013 11:52:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.

9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard writ in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.

10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.

11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.

12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

First that depends on whether you are applying a human definition of evil or God's.

God's definition of an evil person is one who teaches against Him and His son, and since a true follower of Christ only has one leader, Christ himself, and he is no way evil, I suppose the answer is that all who set themselves up, or are set up as religious leaders here one earth are evil in God's eyes.

Matthew 23:10 Neither be called "leaders," for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among YOU must be YOUR minister. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Yet another scripture which shows how far away from Christ's teachings the vast majority of modern day churches are.
Yes well of course it's teaching against him that is evil, it wouldn't include genocide or infanticide or rape or pillage. "You just go ahead and do that my children, but you will be evil if you talk against me," says god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
question4u
Posts: 492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 3:04:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 11:52:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.

9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard writ in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.

10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.

11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.

12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

I say all those that preach tithes when they say they don't observe the old testament laws are evil, tithes was only to be collected by levites , and even the levites had to tithe to the high priest, if jesus is the high priest which is spiritual, robbery is against the law and these people are cleaning dry poor helpless, I stop giving tithes for many years, got several raises, bought a house, bought and paid off 2010 car, more children, I meam were is the curse, those people are evil and preaching a lie on
Nidhogg
Posts: 503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 3:16:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I agree with #12, but everything else I disagree with.

I see it as that the Bible, which was oral tradition for a long time, was corrupted by tack-ons by it's speakers before writing and in translations. This is where the more ridiculous concepts of the Bible come from. I think that God hating f@gs and many of the peripheral Old Testament stories that are more barbaric than the rest of the Bible come from. I also believe that we cannot gauge time from a text created before the Egyptians established the year meaning that YEC and the 6,000 year bullsh!t is invalid. Finally, I say that Evolution is a very true doctrine, but in order to succeed despite massive odds it required at least a certain amount of theistic intervention.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 4:07:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 11:52:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:


1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.

...what?

2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

You'll have to clarify #1, kiddo.

3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.

Sure.

4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

Don't get this one either.

5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.

Why ever not?

6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.

Have you actually looked at the philosophy surrounding the incarnation and the resurrection, or did you simply decide that it wasn't your day to muster up an argument?

7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.

Again, I have not the slightest clue what you're trying to say, and my interest is dropping quite quickly as I continue through your list.

...wait, I just realized that this is, unsurprisingly, swiped off of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org...
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."