Jump to topic:

Believe the bible!

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 7:29:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are there any TWO bible believers on here who have identical interpretations of the bible?
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 7:37:59 AM
At 6/13/2013 7:29:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
Are there any TWO bible believers on here who have identical interpretations of the bible?

If God is personal and we receive personal guidance in the scriptures, why do we all need the same interpretation? Salvation and repentance should be agreed, it really is not wiggle room there but we can all have our own revelation about understandings of some things and some things cannot be, like the way to salvation.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 7:59:28 AM

I agree with TULIP, Paradox_7, and Joneszj about most things, but probably not everything.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:15:03 AM
At 6/13/2013 7:59:28 AM, philochristos wrote:

I agree with TULIP, Paradox_7, and Joneszj about most things, but probably not everything.

I agree that Tulip is like one of the purest Christians on here I have seen. She may not be able to explain herself fully but her faith and passion of Christ is obvious and she is a blessing her. I appreciate your vote also and I do need improvement in that area.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:44:23 AM
You may find a thousand who have identical interpretation, but wouldn't make them be from the saved!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 10:53:07 PM
At 6/13/2013 10:54:13 AM, bulproof wrote:
So none of you so far. There's a lot of you not responding.

Still none? Not looking good!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:07:06 AM
At 6/13/2013 10:53:07 PM, bulproof wrote:

Not a good sign for the biblicals. How can they rely on the bible as a basis for their arguments when other biblicals disagree with them.
Well I'm sorry biblicals but this invalidates any interpretation you wish to present in defense of your arguments.
So you can't post your bible passages anymore.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 8:12:29 AM
At 6/16/2013 2:07:06 AM, bulproof wrote:

Not a good sign for the biblicals. How can they rely on the bible as a basis for their arguments when other biblicals disagree with them.
Well I'm sorry biblicals but this invalidates any interpretation you wish to present in defense of your arguments.

I mean seriously, none of the biblicals believe the same things and they belt each other over the head with what the believe and EVERY "proof" comes straight from the word of god. A god who is so all powerful that he can't even make himself understood to those who allegedly believe him.
Have you people got nothing to say???????
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 8:20:09 AM
At 6/16/2013 8:12:29 AM, bulproof wrote:

I mean seriously, none of the biblicals believe the same things and they belt each other over the head with what the believe and EVERY "proof" comes straight from the word of god. A god who is so all powerful that he can't even make himself understood to those who allegedly believe him.

Yeah STOP complaining about everyone else and have your own relations with God. John 3:3-6, that's the first step.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 8:29:40 AM
At 6/16/2013 8:20:09 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 6/16/2013 8:12:29 AM, bulproof wrote:

Yeah STOP complaining about everyone else and have your own relations with God. John 3:3-6, that's the first step.

Now which god would I get do you think?
Oh I'm sorry, you don't like the FACT that your omnipotent god isn't even capable of delivering his message in a coherent manner. I understand your dilemma, but isn't your complaint with your god? I'm just asking questions that none of you can answer.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 7:56:50 PM

You're defining "No" as not many people responding to your thread. Your thread title doesn't quite match the discussion, and it's not a real attention grabber, so that limits your traffic. I have a thread "Repository of funniest quotes on DDO" or something along those lines and no one's posted there. That doesn't mean there is nothing funny to quote from DDO.

My serious answer is yes, there are many people who agree on doctrine. That's how historic church councils have been able to come to successful conclusions and issue decrees or statements of doctrine. Also, that's why there are schools of thought on doctrinal issues, and not just a bunch of people who can't agree. And just because people disagree, doesn't mean much. No Christian knows everything, so people do come to different conclusions. I might disagree with my wife about the size of the universe, but neither of our beliefs have any actual effect on the size of the universe. Some people haven't read the Bible, misunderstand part of it because of misconception or confusing ideas. For instance, some Christians think Satan is in Hell because that is a popular myth in our culture. Most of us know that there are no references to Satan being in Hell in the past in the Bible, and it is plain if you read it that he is always seen on the Earth or in Heaven briefly. This is not an inconsistency in what the Bible says, but an error in understanding by the individual and culture. Being a Christian does not mean you will suddenly understand everything.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:00:16 AM
At 6/17/2013 7:56:50 PM, Skynet wrote:

You're defining "No" as not many people responding to your thread. Your thread title doesn't quite match the discussion, and it's not a real attention grabber, so that limits your traffic. I have a thread "Repository of funniest quotes on DDO" or something along those lines and no one's posted there. That doesn't mean there is nothing funny to quote from DDO.

My serious answer is yes, there are many people who agree on doctrine. That's how historic church councils have been able to come to successful conclusions and issue decrees or statements of doctrine. Also, that's why there are schools of thought on doctrinal issues, and not just a bunch of people who can't agree. And just because people disagree, doesn't mean much. No Christian knows everything, so people do come to different conclusions. I might disagree with my wife about the size of the universe, but neither of our beliefs have any actual effect on the size of the universe. Some people haven't read the Bible, misunderstand part of it because of misconception or confusing ideas. For instance, some Christians think Satan is in Hell because that is a popular myth in our culture. Most of us know that there are no references to Satan being in Hell in the past in the Bible, and it is plain if you read it that he is always seen on the Earth or in Heaven briefly. This is not an inconsistency in what the Bible says, but an error in understanding by the individual and culture. Being a Christian does not mean you will suddenly understand everything.
Christendom has a long way to go before understanding Scripture. They need to start with obeying commands and work from there.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:11:02 AM
At 6/17/2013 7:56:50 PM, Skynet wrote:

My serious answer is yes, there are many people who agree on doctrine.
And here we have another attempt to move the goalposts, reread the OP and come back to me. If you wish to discuss what you have written here then start a new thread, don't attempt to hijack mine.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:14:07 AM
All of you true christians are guided by the holy ghost in your understanding of god's word and yet you all believe differently, is the holy ghost yanking your chains? Does the holy ghost not know what his words actually mean?
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:15:51 AM
At 6/18/2013 1:14:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
All of you true christians are guided by the holy ghost in your understanding of god's word and yet you all believe differently, is the holy ghost yanking your chains? Does the holy ghost not know what his words actually mean?
Ruach Hakodesh, not holy ghost.
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:19:15 AM
This idea doesn't seem controversial.

If this is news to you then this statement is for you!

Zing!
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:25:44 AM
At 6/18/2013 1:19:15 AM, llamainmypocket wrote:
This idea doesn't seem controversial.

If this is news to you then this statement is for you!

Zing!
No comprendo zing boy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:29:06 AM
At 6/18/2013 1:15:51 AM, Sower4GS wrote:
How could anyone doubt the word of a christian taught by a Rabbi?
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:34:48 AM
At 6/18/2013 1:29:06 AM, bulproof wrote:

What Rabbi was taught by a christain, what word and what are you trying to ask?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:37:22 AM
At 6/18/2013 1:34:48 AM, Sower4GS wrote:
At 6/18/2013 1:29:06 AM, bulproof wrote:

What Rabbi was taught by a christain, what word and what are you trying to ask?
I'm sorry, I only know English!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 9:54:05 AM
Where are the defenders of the holy ghost who explains gods word to all of you true believers? Come to his defense oh you the holy!
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:35:32 PM
At 6/18/2013 9:54:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
Where are the defenders of the holy ghost who explains gods word to all of you true believers? Come to his defense oh you the holy!
Are you blind? Obviously you are.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2013 12:57:18 PM
Galatians 5:18 - But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 - Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 - idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 - envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of YAHWEH.
22 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 - gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
The works of the flesh are disobedience to Yahweh's law. The fruits of the Spirit is obedience to His law...how clear! To say we are not 'under the law' can't possibly mean we are free to break it!

In fact, it means just the opposite! So who is this group of people who are 'under the law'?

In Paul's day, it was those Jews who were trusting in their righteousness to be saved rather than accepting Yahushua the Messiah and letting Yahweh be their righteousness. Today though, it is those that do not have Yahushua or those who have chosen to purposely sin/break His law again after accepting the Messiah. They are putting themselves right back under the law!