What happens when a person dies?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:15:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago

I now that there are a lot of non-believes here, so how do you not panic about death.

How do you comfort yourself when you lay in your bed thinking about death.

Thinking about never seeing your kids, never finishing school, how you are going to go, is there really a heaven, does your brain just stop, does it feel like sleeping, what about all the stuff that you want to do, does life just go on as you are forgotten, i could go on and on.

How do you guys deal with all of that?
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:22:19 AM
My best guess is that stuff just stops. You no longer think, you no longer exist as a conscious mind.

No suffering, because there is nothing to suffer. When it comes to family, friends, etc, yes I don't want to leave, but I can't really stop it, so I don't see the point in worrying.
Freedomaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:24:30 AM
When I die I become what I was before I was born, the matter that had caused me to have a consciousness ceases to function.
I love my life but I don't care about death because I can't care if I'm dead.
I am a moosepotomus, here me quack! *Grr, ruff, moo*

I am my own God and the free market is my Jesus.

http://freedomaniac.wordpress.com...
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:26:56 AM
I personally believe that death is the cessation of consciousness (I would never even attempt to prove this, however, simply a personal belief based upon lack of evidence to the contrary). When one is without consciousness, one can't worry about things like seeing your kids or missing your loved ones.

I think of it like this: If some big strong dude tells me he's going to punch me tomorrow, it would scare me. I would probably spend all night thinking about it, worrying about the pain I'm going to feel and how terrible it's going to be when he punches me, and so forth. But when the time comes, if it turns out the big bad scary guy is actually a weakling, and his punch doesn't hurt me at all, then there really was nothing to worry about. I don't believe there is any pain or longing for lost loved-ones on the other side of death, so I try not to bother thinking about it. Of course, it's kinda hard to do some times. :)
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:31:54 AM
I have several ways of looking at this question.

Some of the ideas that I've been presented with are:

- Whatever you think happens to you when you die, actually happens. Your conscious idea of the afterlife, is what your consciousness will experience when the body dies.

- There is no such thing as death. We are merely observing this reality in which our bodies are a conduit to experience existence. Similar to a person that needs a computer (conduit) to experience the internet. So when your computer ceases to work (dies), you're still alive, you just go buy another one and log back on the internet (life). This reality is almost quite literally like the Internet because everything your brain decodes is merely vibrations of energy, and that's precisely what a computer does when it decodes WiFi wavelengths which manifests as the internet.

- Mark Twain says he's been dead for billions of years til he was born. Why should he be scared of death?

- Richard Dawkins says "Matter flows from place to place, and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing. I find the reality thrilling!"

- There's evidence that shows that the body gets lighter when it dies, and perhaps there is a light bundle of consciousness that leaves the body. Remember, matter and energy cannot be destroyed. Where does it go?

I hope that helps.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tmhustler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:43:20 AM
I like the character Lester's explanation at the end of American beauty. it goes like this "I had always heard your life flashes infront of your eyesthe second before yo die. first of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, ike an ocean of time...
latest debate http://www.debate.org...
purpose of education only 3 votes so far
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 4:02:29 AM
At 12/3/2009 12:15:47 AM, comoncents wrote:

I don't think about death when I'm laying in my bed, and I wouldn't need comfort if I did. I've come to terms with the prospect that I will eventually die, and while I'd like to postpone that as long as possible, there's no reason for me to panic - especially when I have no reason to believe I'll be dying anytime soon.

Thinking about never seeing your kids, never finishing school, how you are going to go, is there really a heaven, does your brain just stop, does it feel like sleeping, what about all the stuff that you want to do, does life just go on as you are forgotten, i could go on and on.
Your brain does just stop. That's a scientific fact. Dead people have zero brain activity. Since the brain is where all my memories, my personality, etc. are stored, I wouldn't be able to fool myself into believing in an afterlife even if doing so was psychologically necessary for my mental health.

I've surpassed the emotional stability point of a five-year-old. There's really no reason some ridiculous sense of panic should be overtaking my life. Perhaps you don't understand because you've had religion coddling you all these years, preventing you from facing reality.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 4:42:42 AM
At 12/3/2009 12:31:54 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I have several ways of looking at this question.

Some of the ideas that I've been presented with are:

- Whatever you think happens to you when you die, actually happens. Your conscious idea of the afterlife, is what your consciousness will experience when the body dies.
Ridiculous for obvious reasons. Wishful thinking does not create reality.

- There is no such thing as death. We are merely observing this reality in which our bodies are a conduit to experience existence. Similar to a person that needs a computer (conduit) to experience the internet. So when your computer ceases to work (dies), you're still alive, you just go buy another one and log back on the internet (life). This reality is almost quite literally like the Internet because everything your brain decodes is merely vibrations of energy, and that's precisely what a computer does when it decodes WiFi wavelengths which manifests as the internet.
Of course, your "computer" (body) literally store everything that can discernibly be called "you." Your memories, your senses, your personality, etc are all gone when that computer dies. In what sense, then, can the user of the new computer be called the same?
Your analogy fails to address this extremely important implication.

- Mark Twain says he's been dead for billions of years til he was born. Why should he be scared of death?
The premise is true, but the conclusion is based on a non-sequitur. Having been dead before we were born does not have any effect on our feelings toward going back to that state.

- Richard Dawkins says "Matter flows from place to place, and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing. I find the reality thrilling!"
This is true, but it's not really relevant to the discussion of death. The vast majority of the matter that was within me 5 years ago is no longer within me, and the same is true of you. When we die, it's not because the matter that was us leaves and goes somewhere else, it's because the matter that's still part of us ceases to work together in a way that creates human consciousness. Of course, after we die, the matter that was us eventually does disperse into other things, this time without being replenished by new matter.

- There's evidence that shows that the body gets lighter when it dies, and perhaps there is a light bundle of consciousness that leaves the body. Remember, matter and energy cannot be destroyed. Where does it go?
This is based on an extremely flawed experiment done in 1907 by one Duncan MacDougall. The sample size was six and he decided to throw out two of his results. Of the four results he had, one showed an immediate drop in weight, one showed a drop in weight which rebounded back up and then dropped back again within a few minutes, and two showed a drop in weight that increased over a short amount of time. And the weights lost varied between half an ounce and about 1.5 ounces. Hardly consistent results, even for such a ridiculously small sample size.
No attempts to replicate MacDougall's findings have succeeded. Hardly what we'd call reliable science. Of course, common people believe it because it makes them feel nice.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 6:04:09 AM

Not much. They as you know them cease to exist.

I now that there are a lot of non-believes here, so how do you not panic about death.

I'd rather live forever, but since I can't I just try to embrace the experiences of life.

I actually don't lay in bed much thinking of death, there always seems to be more puzzling things to think about.

Yeah, I don't like the Idea of being done, but that's how it seems to happen. Some people seem to be obsessed with entering the history books, but I don't see the point in being generally remembered b/c time is kind of relative from the non engaged perspective, and we're all going to be dead one day, so what's it matter if your name was shouted in life for a few more years

I try not to.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 7:00:13 AM

I went to a funeral yesterday, as an atheist it was uncomfortable.
I can't really say I can answer your questions sorry!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 9:30:52 AM
The idea of eternity scares me, not the idea of ceasing to be. I hope nothing happens when I die.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 9:35:21 AM
At 12/3/2009 9:30:52 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
The idea of eternity scares me, not the idea of ceasing to be. I hope nothing happens when I die.

Ceasing to be doesn't scare me (ok maybe a little lol), but I like living and stuff, and would kind of like to coninue doing so, and unless I was in unbearable pain I can't see that I'd ever want to stop.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 9:48:38 AM
There probably isn't an afterlife. This is why it's important not to waste this life worshiping fictitious Gods. If there is no God religious people are to be pitied above everyone else.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
silntwaves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 9:48:40 AM

the only thing that scares me is the part where u Actually die. and not being able to know exactly where u go.
Nick Jonas And The Administration
-What I Am.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 9:58:00 AM
At 12/3/2009 9:35:21 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Ceasing to be doesn't scare me (ok maybe a little lol), but I like living and stuff, and would kind of like to coninue doing so, and unless I was in unbearable pain I can't see that I'd ever want to stop.

Even an eternity without pain is just that... an eternity... a never ending, always thinking state... That's frightening beyond comprehension.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 10:15:24 AM
At 12/3/2009 9:58:00 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Even an eternity without pain is just that... an eternity... a never ending, always thinking state... That's frightening beyond comprehension.

How are you thinking?
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 10:16:11 AM

Meditatings kind of cool, if you got tired, you could use your immortal meditation powers to zone out for a while, and come back to consciousness a few thousand years later to check out whats been happenin :)

(sure such meditation powers would be hard to develop, but you'd have quite a bit of time on your hands to do so)

Metaphysics:
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 11:26:09 AM
At 12/3/2009 10:15:24 AM, theLwerd wrote:

How are you thinking?

You should read my prior posts and you would see I'm talking about if there is an after-life then the thinking would go on for all eternity :) If nothing happens, I wont have to worry about this.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:06:44 PM

Rocks for the suicide bombers, sucks for you atheists.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:09:32 PM
At 12/3/2009 12:06:44 PM, johngriswald wrote:

Not necessarily. If I believe I'll simply be non-existent after my death, and if Geo is right, then I am non-existent - meaning that nothing will 'suck' for me, because there is no me to experience anything.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:12:03 PM
At 12/3/2009 10:16:11 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Meditatings kind of cool, if you got tired, you could use your immortal meditation powers to zone out for a while, and come back to consciousness a few thousand years later to check out whats been happenin :)

(sure such meditation powers would be hard to develop, but you'd have quite a bit of time on your hands to do so)

lol... that doesn't help. Even under a meditative state, you are still conscious (you are at a higher or lower level then awakened brain waves) -- even when asleep you are conscious of something.

Only when conscious activity is knocked out of you does it go away -- like after a blow from a baseball etc - or, as I am supposing, after death :)

And you can't control when you wake up out of unconsciousness - it would require some consciousness to do so.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:18:02 PM
At 12/3/2009 9:48:38 AM, Freeman wrote:
There probably isn't an afterlife. This is why it's important not to waste this life worshiping fictitious Gods. If there is no God religious people are to be pitied above everyone else.

What does God have to do with any of this? There's no need for a God for there to be an afterlife. In fact, we'd all be better off if there was an afterlife without a God to ruin it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:18:18 PM
At 12/3/2009 12:09:32 PM, Volkov wrote:

Not necessarily. If I believe I'll simply be non-existent after my death, and if Geo is right, then I am non-existent - meaning that nothing will 'suck' for me, because there is no me to experience anything.

If in your opinion is that nonexistance is greater than living in a paradise for eternity, sure it doesn't suck at all.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:23:10 PM
At 12/3/2009 12:18:18 PM, johngriswald wrote:
If in your opinion is that nonexistance is greater than living in a paradise for eternity, sure it doesn't suck at all.

It doesn't, because my non-existence means that I won't know if anything sucks because, you know, I'm non-existent. Usually, when you don't exist, you're not bemoaning over a lost, er, "paradise."

Which is why Geo's idea is so impractical. If this was the Christian teaching, they'd never be able to keep anyone in line, because people would realize that they can do whatever they want when they die. Its either Heaven or Hell - no inbetween. You can almost hear the priests saying "sucker....
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:25:13 PM
At 12/3/2009 12:24:30 AM, Freedomaniac wrote:
When I die I become what I was before I was born, the matter that had caused me to have a consciousness ceases to function.
I love my life but I don't care about death because I can't care if I'm dead.

That was a great.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:26:51 PM

I was told that atheists that don't believe in the afterlife will end up in the lower astral planes, which is generally where people go in their dreams and out-of-body experiences.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:30:44 PM
At 12/3/2009 12:23:10 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/3/2009 12:18:18 PM, johngriswald wrote:
It doesn't, because my non-existence means that I won't know if anything sucks because, you know, I'm non-existent. Usually, when you don't exist, you're not bemoaning over a lost, er, "paradise."

Haha ok, from your perspective when you are dead it won't suck. However it currently does, and when I'm in paradise and I consider your fate, it will suck for you from my perspective.

Which is why Geo's idea is so impractical. If this was the Christian teaching, they'd never be able to keep anyone in line, because people would realize that they can do whatever they want when they die. Its either Heaven or Hell - no inbetween. You can almost hear the priests saying "sucker....

If this was Christian teaching, you're correct there would be buttloads less of fake Christians who are simply being Christians to get to heaven. However I think you would find that evil people would wish for an evil afterlife.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2009 12:31:25 PM
At 12/3/2009 12:26:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I was told that atheists that don't believe in the afterlife will end up in the lower astral planes, which is generally where people go in their dreams and out-of-body experiences.

Sure lets go with that :)

ddofans.com