Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How to know you are saved

Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved. If anything is in it that you feel is untrue or incorrect then you may not be saved. If this video does not make you want to cry then you may not be saved.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 1:00:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved.

What if I decide not to click on it in the first place? Does that have any bearing on my salvation?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 1:02:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 1:00:52 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved.

What if I decide not to click on it in the first place? Does that have any bearing on my salvation?

No.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 1:17:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 1:02:32 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:00:52 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved.

What if I decide not to click on it in the first place? Does that have any bearing on my salvation?

No.

I better not risk it, then.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 1:43:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 1:17:39 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:02:32 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:00:52 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved.

What if I decide not to click on it in the first place? Does that have any bearing on my salvation?

No.

I better not risk it, then.

Yeah, your right maybe you better not.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
rjohnson741
Posts: 215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 1:53:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved. If anything is in it that you feel is untrue or incorrect then you may not be saved. If this video does not make you want to cry then you may not be saved.

'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life' John 3:16.

How can a blood bought child of God who has everlasting life in them go to hell?

Christians going to hell is a contradiction in terms.
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 1:53:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Harbinger as long as you're a good person what can any god justifiably do about your not believing in him... or her for that matter?
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:05:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 1:53:09 PM, rjohnson741 wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved. If anything is in it that you feel is untrue or incorrect then you may not be saved. If this video does not make you want to cry then you may not be saved.

'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life' John 3:16.

How can a blood bought child of God who has everlasting life in them go to hell?

Christians going to hell is a contradiction in terms.

That is assuming they are actually Christians. You can say you are but your actions speak louder than words ever could.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:07:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 1:53:45 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
Harbinger as long as you're a good person what can any god justifiably do about your not believing in him... or her for that matter?

Being a good person does not grant you heaven. Only salvation in Jesus Christ does. If you are saved thru Jesus Christ you salvation will show that which leads to being loving and following the gospel the best of your ability. It means to hate committing sin and to be reborn in Christ.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:08:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"How can a blood bought child of God who has everlasting life in them go to hell?"

Perhaps because they have eternal life in promise, in hope, rather than as an actual, literal possession? Therefore, I may truthfully say that I have eternal life - not literally, not actually - but in hope, in promise based upon the promissory note of Jesus Christ. This business of "I've got it - literally! And I can't lose it - literally!" is a horrible delusion.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
rjohnson741
Posts: 215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:13:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:05:00 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:53:09 PM, rjohnson741 wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved. If anything is in it that you feel is untrue or incorrect then you may not be saved. If this video does not make you want to cry then you may not be saved.

'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life' John 3:16.

How can a blood bought child of God who has everlasting life in them go to hell?

Christians going to hell is a contradiction in terms.

That is assuming they are actually Christians. You can say you are but your actions speak louder than words ever could.

But the video is talking about actual true believing christians going to hell. If you believe a a God fearing, Holy Spirit filled, blood bought child of God can go to hell, then no christian has any assurance of knowing if they are saved.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:16:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:13:46 PM, rjohnson741 wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:05:00 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:53:09 PM, rjohnson741 wrote:
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved. If anything is in it that you feel is untrue or incorrect then you may not be saved. If this video does not make you want to cry then you may not be saved.

'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life' John 3:16.

How can a blood bought child of God who has everlasting life in them go to hell?

Christians going to hell is a contradiction in terms.

That is assuming they are actually Christians. You can say you are but your actions speak louder than words ever could.

But the video is talking about actual true believing christians going to hell. If you believe a a God fearing, Holy Spirit filled, blood bought child of God can go to hell, then no christian has any assurance of knowing if they are saved.

I think you need to re-watch the video. It was talking about Christians who say they are and hope they are but their actions say they did not make genuine re-birth in Christ.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:17:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:07:15 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:53:45 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
Harbinger as long as you're a good person what can any god justifiably do about your not believing in him... or her for that matter?

Being a good person does not grant you heaven. Only salvation in Jesus Christ does. If you are saved thru Jesus Christ you salvation will show that which leads to being loving and following the gospel the best of your ability. It means to hate committing sin and to be reborn in Christ.

You just answered my question saying people who didn't believe in Jesus wont go to Heaven... I know that's what you think, I'm asking for a justification?

Let me ask you another question: have you ever caught yourself lying to yourself? Like have you ever blamed someone for something that was maybe your fault for example? or have you ever called someone an idiot in frustration knowing full well they were right maybe? It's very common and might apply here, don't you think? Have a think about it. Is God really so monstrous as to punish good people just because they don't believe in him? I do believe it's written than vanity is a sin, no? Bit of a contradiction there...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:22:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:17:28 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:07:15 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:53:45 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
Harbinger as long as you're a good person what can any god justifiably do about your not believing in him... or her for that matter?

Being a good person does not grant you heaven. Only salvation in Jesus Christ does. If you are saved thru Jesus Christ you salvation will show that which leads to being loving and following the gospel the best of your ability. It means to hate committing sin and to be reborn in Christ.

You just answered my question saying people who didn't believe in Jesus wont go to Heaven... I know that's what you think, I'm asking for a justification?

God and the Bible.

Let me ask you another question: have you ever caught yourself lying to yourself?

Surely and I repent for it. I hate it. Though I do it very rarely.

Like have you ever blamed someone for something that was maybe your fault for example?

Not often but I am not perfect.

or have you ever called someone an idiot in frustration knowing full well they were right maybe?

I do not call people idiots or fools.

It's very common and might apply here, don't you think?

Just because it is common does not make it horrible and punishable by any means. Few will go to heaven, the Bible says as much.

Have a think about it. Is God really so monstrous as to punish good people just because they don't believe in him?

Absolutely and it is justified. God demands you know Him and come to Him.

I do believe it's written than vanity is a sin, no? Bit of a contradiction there...

Vanity is a sin but there is no contradiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:23:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:19:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't imagine a topic any more self-righteous and arrogant.

Hey, I did not make the rules, God did. I am just relaying His Word.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:27:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:23:55 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:19:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't imagine a topic any more self-righteous and arrogant.

Hey, I did not make the rules, God did. I am just relaying His Word.

That's what you believe.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:28:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:27:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:23:55 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:19:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't imagine a topic any more self-righteous and arrogant.

Hey, I did not make the rules, God did. I am just relaying His Word.

That's what you believe.

No, that is what God says. My belief has not one thing to do with it. Hey, read the Bible or have someone read to you if you do not understand it.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:30:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:22:48 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:17:28 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:07:15 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 1:53:45 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
Harbinger as long as you're a good person what can any god justifiably do about your not believing in him... or her for that matter?

Being a good person does not grant you heaven. Only salvation in Jesus Christ does. If you are saved thru Jesus Christ you salvation will show that which leads to being loving and following the gospel the best of your ability. It means to hate committing sin and to be reborn in Christ.

You just answered my question saying people who didn't believe in Jesus wont go to Heaven... I know that's what you think, I'm asking for a justification?

God and the Bible.

Let me ask you another question: have you ever caught yourself lying to yourself?

Surely and I repent for it. I hate it. Though I do it very rarely.

Like have you ever blamed someone for something that was maybe your fault for example?

Not often but I am not perfect.

or have you ever called someone an idiot in frustration knowing full well they were right maybe?

I do not call people idiots or fools.

It's very common and might apply here, don't you think?

Just because it is common does not make it horrible and punishable by any means. Few will go to heaven, the Bible says as much.

Have a think about it. Is God really so monstrous as to punish good people just because they don't believe in him?

Absolutely and it is justified. God demands you know Him and come to Him.

I do believe it's written than vanity is a sin, no? Bit of a contradiction there...

Vanity is a sin but there is no contradiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Well I very much disagree with pretty much all of what you said there, to be honest. I think there is a contradiction there for one. God is sending good people to Hell because they don't believe in him... this is like the vain person getting annoyed because nobody pays attention to him... But it's your head :p

Maybe just consider that you might be deceiving yourself :p You've documented having done so before... and I'm gonna leave it at that...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:35:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:28:52 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:27:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:23:55 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:19:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't imagine a topic any more self-righteous and arrogant.

Hey, I did not make the rules, God did. I am just relaying His Word.

That's what you believe.

No, that is what God says. My belief has not one thing to do with it. Hey, read the Bible or have someone read to you if you do not understand it.

You believe that the bible is the word of God.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:35:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:30:59 PM, PrivateEye wrote:

Well I very much disagree with pretty much all of what you said there, to be honest. I think there is a contradiction there for one. God is sending good people to Hell because they don't believe in him... this is like the vain person getting annoyed because nobody pays attention to him... But it's your head :p

Does God really care how you feel about it? No! You listen to Him and not vise versa. Name one person who is good anyway? There is not one. Jesus Christ proved that.

Maybe just consider that you might be deceiving yourself :p You've documented having done so before... and I'm gonna leave it at that...

So this documentation. Oh.. your talking about you thinking that a liar and dishonest are the same. Well that is your mistake.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:38:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:35:38 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:30:59 PM, PrivateEye wrote:

Well I very much disagree with pretty much all of what you said there, to be honest. I think there is a contradiction there for one. God is sending good people to Hell because they don't believe in him... this is like the vain person getting annoyed because nobody pays attention to him... But it's your head :p

Does God really care how you feel about it? No! You listen to Him and not vise versa. Name one person who is good anyway? There is not one. Jesus Christ proved that.

I am a good person.

Maybe just consider that you might be deceiving yourself :p You've documented having done so before... and I'm gonna leave it at that...

So this documentation. Oh.. your talking about you thinking that a liar and dishonest are the same. Well that is your mistake.

A lie is dishonest. Dishonest is defined as, "intended to mislead or cheat".

Really though, I'm going to leave it at this. Just think about it. I wont be coming back to read a reply.
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 2:53:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:38:46 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:35:38 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:30:59 PM, PrivateEye wrote:

Well I very much disagree with pretty much all of what you said there, to be honest. I think there is a contradiction there for one. God is sending good people to Hell because they don't believe in him... this is like the vain person getting annoyed because nobody pays attention to him... But it's your head :p

Does God really care how you feel about it? No! You listen to Him and not vise versa. Name one person who is good anyway? There is not one. Jesus Christ proved that.

I am a good person.

Your not to God and neither am I, no one is. That why we need Jesus Christ.

Maybe just consider that you might be deceiving yourself :p You've documented having done so before... and I'm gonna leave it at that...

So this documentation. Oh.. your talking about you thinking that a liar and dishonest are the same. Well that is your mistake.

A lie is dishonest. Dishonest is defined as, "intended to mislead or cheat".

Really though, I'm going to leave it at this. Just think about it. I wont be coming back to read a reply.

I have thought about it. Here you go again:

Since I am assuming by memory that it was evidence or lack thereof we are talking about.

There is evidence but you feel the evidence is not actually evidence.

Is this a lie or dishonest?

My point you and I showed definitions with liar that dishonesty in it but dishonesty did not have liar in it. They are similar but bringing a thesaurus in which has at least 20 words that are similar on each word are all the same thing ? No and that is dishonest. My point, indeed. You are not lying by using the thesaurus but that is dishonest.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
PrivateEye
Posts: 972
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 3:19:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I came back and read your post... XD

I'm not gonna reply though, I've said what I have to say on the matter and we'll leave it at that... for sure this time :p
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 3:22:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 2:35:24 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:28:52 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:27:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:23:55 PM, Harbinger wrote:
At 6/14/2013 2:19:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I can't imagine a topic any more self-righteous and arrogant.

Hey, I did not make the rules, God did. I am just relaying His Word.

That's what you believe.

No, that is what God says. My belief has not one thing to do with it. Hey, read the Bible or have someone read to you if you do not understand it.

You believe that the bible is the word of God.

That is opinion, indeed. But I do believe that.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
Harbinger
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 3:24:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 3:19:20 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
I came back and read your post... XD

I'm not gonna reply though, I've said what I have to say on the matter and we'll leave it at that... for sure this time :p

Well your not a liar and I do not assume you are.
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
bulproof
Posts: 25,273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 9:20:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Holy Scripture: A book sent down from heaven.... Holy Scriptures contain all that a Christian should know and believe, provided he adds to it a million or so commentaries.
[Voltaire]
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 9:35:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/14/2013 12:51:50 PM, Harbinger wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

If you would rather turn off this video rather than listen to it then you may not be saved. If anything is in it that you feel is untrue or incorrect then you may not be saved. If this video does not make you want to cry then you may not be saved.

How do you know this is how you know you are saved?
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2013 9:50:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If belief in God is a necessary condition for salvation regardless of how good you treat people, or how moral you are, then I feel this is not a God worthy of my praise regardless. Therefore, I don't feel no loss by not being a Christian. Even I would be able to rise above the pettiness that is entailed by the restriction of salvation to only people who believed I existed. I would have a full comprehension of their mind, and understand why they came to that conclusion; and not hold that against them. If not even God can rise above the apparent pettiness, then why should I praise this being that I feel is lesser than me on a moral scale? Also, this being does not even stop rape even though he has the power. This does not fall in line with my personal moral compass.

Why praise a God I feel I am better than?