TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 6:11:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Questions to Theists (Only answer those applicable to you):

Do you believe in Heaven?

If so what is the process to getting into heaven?

Are animals, and bugs allowed into heaven?

Why or Why not?

Does God have a moral system?

What types of morals are in this system?

Are they Universal?

Why or why not?

Do you believe in organized religion supporting a God?

If so, why do you think your organized religion supersedes others?

Where did God come from? Does he have an Origin?

Do you believe in Extra Terrestrials?

Do you think a God would punish you, or look down on your for not believing in him?

Why or why not?

Do you believe some prophets that claim to communicate with a God, actually do?

Why do you think God doesn"t make everyone aware of his presence aware, outside of the testimonies of a few people throughout history?

Do you believe in a hell?

If so, what would deem a person worthy enough to be sent to hell?

Did you develop your beliefs from parents? School? Friends, By Yourself, through a book, etc?

At what age did you believe in a God, and what first made you decide you believed?

More questiosn as I think of them may come later, but the purpose of this is for me to try and make a point/ generate discussion.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 6:51:13 PM
At 6/20/2013 6:11:42 PM, TUF wrote:

I think "heaven" is used in different senses in the Bible. It's used to refer to the sky, and it's also used to refer to the spiritual realm. I believe in both.

Assuming you mean the spiritual realm, you have to die.

Maybe.

Why or Why not?

N/A

Yes.

No mother stabbing and father raping.

Are they Universal?

If by "universal" you mean "without exception," I would say it depends on how you characterize them. Morals are usually stated at generalizations and are not without exception. But if you qualified each one, you could make a universal principle out of them.

For example, you might say that in general, it's wrong to shove old ladies. But if it's a situation where shoving an old lady might save her from being hit by a bus, it would be justified. So the imperative to "not shove old ladies" is not universal in the sense that it applies to every person in every situation. But a more specific imperative like "Jim should not shove that old lady right now" could be considered universal in the sense that it would apply to anybody in exactly the same situation Jim is in.

Why or why not?

Because.

Catholicism is an organized religion, and they support God, so yes.

I don't.

No, he doesn't have an origin.

I suspect there are extra terrestrials, but I don't know.

Do you think a God would punish you, or look down on your for not believing in him?

That might depend on my reason for not believing in him.

Why or why not?

Well, let's say the reason I don't believe in God is because I've never been exposed to the idea or anything that might lead to the idea, or maybe I lack the mental capacity to have a concept of God. In that case, I don't think God would hold that against me.

But let's say I've been exposed to enough information that would warrant a reasonable person in believing in God, but I would rather the world not be like that, and I convince myself that there is no God. In that case, God might hold that against me.

I believe some prophets actually have communicated with God, but I don't know of anybody alive today who I am persuaded has actually talked to God.

Why do you think God doesn"t make everyone aware of his presence aware, outside of the testimonies of a few people throughout history?

I don't know.

Yes, although when I say I believe in hell, I'm not thinking of the same thing a lot of people think of when they hear the word "hell." You know, the way it's portrayed in Dante's inferno, Bugs Bunny, or South Park, etc. I believe hell is just a way of referring to God's judgment against sin. I have no idea what it's actually like, but I do believe God will punish people in a final judgment.

Any sin merits punishment. I doubt hell is a place that people are sent to, although people who suffer the wrath of God surely will be located somewhere.

Did you develop your beliefs from parents? School? Friends, By Yourself, through a book, etc?

All of the above.

At what age did you believe in a God, and what first made you decide you believed?

It's hard to say. The earliest I remember believing in God was when I was three years old, and I'm guessing my older siblings and my mother had something to do with it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 7:10:10 PM
"Well, let's say the reason I don't believe in God is because I've never been exposed to the idea or anything that might lead to the idea, or maybe I lack the mental capacity to have a concept of God. In that case, I don't think God would hold that against me.

But let's say I've been exposed to enough information that would warrant a reasonable person in believing in God, but I would rather the world not be like that, and I convince myself that there is no God. In that case, God might hold that against me."

What if you are not convinced by arguments for God, and find them fallacious or unsupported? What if it has nothing to do with what I "want"?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 7:12:11 PM
In my case, I want God to exist. I am extremely terrified of death, and there is nothing I would like more than Heaven to be true. When I am alone, there would be nothing better than to believe there is somebody watching over you. However, my reasons for being a non-believer are purely rational reasons.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 7:16:02 PM
At 6/20/2013 7:10:10 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
"Well, let's say the reason I don't believe in God is because I've never been exposed to the idea or anything that might lead to the idea, or maybe I lack the mental capacity to have a concept of God. In that case, I don't think God would hold that against me.

But let's say I've been exposed to enough information that would warrant a reasonable person in believing in God, but I would rather the world not be like that, and I convince myself that there is no God. In that case, God might hold that against me."

What if you are not convinced by arguments for God, and find them fallacious or unsupported? What if it has nothing to do with what I "want"?

I don't know, but I suspect God wouldn't hold that against you either.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 7:16:42 PM
At 6/20/2013 7:12:11 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
In my case, I want God to exist. I am extremely terrified of death, and there is nothing I would like more than Heaven to be true. When I am alone, there would be nothing better than to believe there is somebody watching over you. However, my reasons for being a non-believer are purely rational reasons.

So you don't have any negative feelings about the Christian God?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:13:04 PM
At 6/20/2013 7:16:42 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/20/2013 7:12:11 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

So you don't have any negative feelings about the Christian God?

I would not go that far. There are a couple of baffling moral choices God made in Old Testament that I do not endorse. However, I do not think that is enough to make the concept of God existing less emotionally appealing than its negation. Overall, I got no beef with God existing. I just want a good reason to, or else I would feel silly.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 6:15:42 AM
At 6/20/2013 6:11:42 PM, TUF wrote:

Yes

Believe in God the creator of all things, and worship nothing beside him, also believe his prophets.

I know there is Justice for animals to, but don't know what their fate will be.

Why or Why not?

N/A

Sure.

Well his attributes are his moral system, including that he is All Just.

Are they Universal?

No, God Morals are for God, men morals are for men, and ant morals are for ants!

Why or why not?

not the same "nature".

Sure

It happens to be the last , reforming all the preceding deviated by men from their original call, and its prophet was predicted by each and every Prophet. Basically we believe it's the same religion, the difference is some rulings, but the original creed, was always the same.

He is the uncaused cause, and we can't know about him except what is obvious or what he revealed to us.

I don't have anything against them, but would see Angels , devils be extra-terrestrials that I do know about.

Yes.

Why or why not?

Because he said so in all the revealed books.

of course.

He is testing mankind, so he wouldn't reveal knowledge to everybody.

as much as I believe in Heaven.

the infinite sin, which is disbelieving in The one true God, whether by worshiping others with him, or not caring in the first place.

well I originally am from a Muslim background, but I eventually leaned on my own.

teenage was when I was fully in it.

More questiosn as I think of them may come later, but the purpose of this is for me to try and make a point/ generate discussion.

err is this a test ?!