Jump to topic:

Attention Bible thumpers: Debate me?

brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:00:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am a total Bible unbeliever and know it very, very well. I used to believe in it but now enjoy debating with Christians on various Bible subjects including some issues they never want to discuss. If you are more than just a believer but feel you are ahead of most Christians in Bible knowledge, please challenge me to any sort of Bible based debate with the understanding that I am a skeptic. I am not an atheist so I am not going to debate anyone about the existence of a higher being. I like to debate and debunk the Bible. I am also really nice! Since I may take on more than one debate topic at a time, please allow for the maximum number of days to respond. Thanks.
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 8:15:37 PM
At 6/20/2013 8:00:04 PM, brett.winstead wrote:
I am a total Bible unbeliever and know it very, very well. I used to believe in it but now enjoy debating with Christians on various Bible subjects including some issues they never want to discuss. If you are more than just a believer but feel you are ahead of most Christians in Bible knowledge, please challenge me to any sort of Bible based debate with the understanding that I am a skeptic. I am not an atheist so I am not going to debate anyone about the existence of a higher being. I like to debate and debunk the Bible. I am also really nice! Since I may take on more than one debate topic at a time, please allow for the maximum number of days to respond. Thanks.

What topic?
Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 9:07:21 PM
At 6/20/2013 8:15:37 PM, Harbinger wrote:

What topic?

If I were to pick a topic about which Christians have proven to be very uncomfortable is the idea that Jesus never even existed. I am not referring to an historical figure who made some noise in the first century because that is probable but not the Jesus you may be thinking of - the one who you hear about in church. Interested?
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 9:54:11 PM
At 6/20/2013 9:07:21 PM, brett.winstead wrote:

What topic?

If I were to pick a topic about which Christians have proven to be very uncomfortable is the idea that Jesus never even existed. I am not referring to an historical figure who made some noise in the first century because that is probable but not the Jesus you may be thinking of - the one who you hear about in church. Interested?

Elaborate more.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2013 9:56:09 PM

What topic?

So basically you want to debate his divinity?
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:56:31 AM
At 6/20/2013 9:56:09 PM, stubs wrote:

What topic?

His divinity? No, I said his existence unless you know of a way he cannot exist and still be divine.
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:57:25 AM
At 6/20/2013 9:54:11 PM, Harbinger wrote:

What topic?

Elaborate more.

I am simply saying that I would love to debate that the Jesus of the NT did not exist.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 10:10:49 AM
At 6/21/2013 9:57:25 AM, brett.winstead wrote:

What topic?

Elaborate more.

I am simply saying that I would love to debate that the Jesus of the NT did not exist.
Go on...
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 10:16:52 AM

What topic?

Elaborate more.

Never mind the fact that almost every historian in history since then would agree He did in fact exist?
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:23:20 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:56:31 AM, brett.winstead wrote:

What topic?

His divinity? No, I said his existence unless you know of a way he cannot exist and still be divine.

You want to debate the existence of a historical Jesus? Challenge me for sure hahah
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:35:31 PM
At 6/21/2013 10:16:52 AM, Harbinger wrote:

What topic?

Elaborate more.

Never mind the fact that almost every historian in history since then would agree He did in fact exist?

90% voted for Hitler so did that make the Germans right? If truth comes by mass agreement and you lived 500 years ago, would you say that the world is flat or that leeches have good medical uses? The more one studies the historicity of Jesus, the less apparent it becomes that he existed. Are you willing to take on this debate because I will use the logic and the Bible itself to show the lack of evidence for his existence. Let's have a formal debate for all the world to see but I can assure you that you will not win by saying he existed because the Bible says so. To quote someone else on this site, Superman and Kryptonite do not exist simply because the Daily Planet says so.
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 12:43:03 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:35:31 PM, brett.winstead wrote:

What topic?

Elaborate more.

90% voted for Hitler so did that make the Germans right? If truth comes by mass agreement and you lived 500 years ago, would you say that the world is flat or that leeches have good medical uses? The more one studies the historicity of Jesus, the less apparent it becomes that he existed. Are you willing to take on this debate because I will use the logic and the Bible itself to show the lack of evidence for his existence. Let's have a formal debate for all the world to see but I can assure you that you will not win by saying he existed because the Bible says so. To quote someone else on this site, Superman and Kryptonite do not exist simply because the Daily Planet says so.

I know, Historians do, lol.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:11:54 PM
Yeah I didn't mean challenge me right now haha. Have more interesting things I want to debate right now. When I'm interested in picking up an easier one like I'll let you know?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:20:13 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:43:03 PM, Harbinger wrote:

What topic?

Elaborate more.

Most scientists believe in evolution. You don't. Thus, why can't someone not believe Jesus existed even though most historians believe it, but you can not believe in evolution even though most scientists believe it?
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:22:45 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:20:13 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Most scientists believe in evolution. You don't. Thus, why can't someone not believe Jesus existed even though most historians believe it

Never said they couldn't.

, but you can not believe in evolution even though most scientists believe it?

Because I do not believe it. Simple. It is called free choice. He has his and I have mine.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:24:00 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:22:45 PM, Harbinger wrote:

Most scientists believe in evolution. You don't. Thus, why can't someone not believe Jesus existed even though most historians believe it

Because I do not believe it. Simple. It is called free choice. He has his and I have mine.

Ok, you just made it seem like it was irrational to argue against the notion that Jesus existed because most Historians believe it. If that was not your intent, then I apologize.
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:24:22 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:11:54 PM, stubs wrote:
Yeah I didn't mean challenge me right now haha. Have more interesting things I want to debate right now. When I'm interested in picking up an easier one like I'll let you know?

Wow, what an arrogant person you are. This one is just too easy? Wow.
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:26:47 PM
At 6/21/2013 12:23:20 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/21/2013 9:56:31 AM, brett.winstead wrote:

What topic?

You want to debate the existence of a historical Jesus? Challenge me for sure hahah

Let the record show that I send him a challenge and he backed down...after he said to "challenge me for sure."
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:31:14 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:24:00 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/21/2013 1:22:45 PM, Harbinger wrote:

Ok, you just made it seem like it was irrational to argue against the notion that Jesus existed because most Historians believe it. If that was not your intent, then I apologize.

No prob. It goes both ways. If I debated you on evolution or billions of years, I suspect you would use scientific means. I could use historians the other way around. Though they do not make me believe in Christ, personal revelation does but that is not scientific evidence.
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 1:34:23 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:26:47 PM, brett.winstead wrote:

Let the record show that I send him a challenge and he backed down...after he said to "challenge me for sure."

It appears the record does show that.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 2:03:15 PM
What exactly is it that he wants to debate? All I saw was the historicity of Jesus, but that's not really a debate, is it? Or perhaps I missed something.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 2:05:07 PM
At 6/21/2013 2:03:15 PM, annanicole wrote:
What exactly is it that he wants to debate? All I saw was the historicity of Jesus, but that's not really a debate, is it? Or perhaps I missed something.

Yes, not His divinity, His simple existence.
Harbinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 2:05:33 PM
I have to off this number of post.
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 2:45:14 PM

The debate is now open to anyone in the religion section. I will debate anyone on any fundamental Biblical subject that attempts to give the Bible credibility.
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:00:27 PM

Anna, not only is it up for debate, it is quite revealing that you have to ask. Like you, I was raised in church and the thought of Jesus existing or not was never a subject that was ever discussed in Christian circles whether church or home Bible study. After I found numerous problems in the Bible, I did research it and the evidence against Jesus was simply overwhelming. In fact, the lack of evidence for his existence outside of the NT is particularly disturbing. The burden of proof really is not on the doubter but on the believer that he existed but I will still debate anyone on this to show why the evidence is not only lacking outside of the NT, it is non-existent.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:31:09 PM

What topic?

Elaborate more.

lol you sound like a YEC here. Don't tell me you're going to trot out Carrier and Price and the like...?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 4:47:41 PM
At 6/21/2013 1:24:22 PM, brett.winstead wrote:
At 6/21/2013 1:11:54 PM, stubs wrote:

Wow, what an arrogant person you are. This one is just too easy? Wow.

My apologies for coming off arrogant. I did not say it was too easy. I said when I wanted an easier one I'll do that. Easier is a comparison word brah and it's simply not that interesting of a topic because, while there are certainly historians who agree with your position, the overwhelming majority do not agree with you. Dawkins said in his debate with John Lennox among ancient historians there were "one or two" who did not think Jesus existed.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 6:10:17 PM
Lol. I wouldn't consider myself a bible thumper, but if I weren't about to start a debate, I'd probably take it. The historical consensus is pretty overwhelming for a reason.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 6:16:42 PM
At 6/21/2013 6:10:17 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Lol. I wouldn't consider myself a bible thumper, but if I weren't about to start a debate, I'd probably take it. The historical consensus is pretty overwhelming for a reason.
brett.winstead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 7:09:10 PM
At 6/21/2013 6:16:42 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/21/2013 6:10:17 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Yes, most people believe Jesus existed because most people in the western world were told from birth that Jesus died for their sins so how could he do that without first existing? It is not even up for debate in any church. A church discussing whether or not Jesus existed would be like two Ribeye steaks discussing whether cows existed. Even non-religious people believe he existed because he is talked about so much and in the encyclopedia. None of this means he really existed because consensus is not historical fact, nor is it science. Evidence beyond any reasonable doubt is what reveals fact in history or anything else. Consensus does not decide what is or is not true. I am surprised no one has taken on this debate yet. When I was a Christian, I would have pounced all over it.