Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Systematic Theology

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 6:43:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is mostly directed towards Christian though all are certainly welcome to join. Systematic theology is defined in Wikipedia as "a discipline of Christian theology that attempts to formulate an orderly, rational, and coherent account of the Christian faith and beliefs." My problem issue with systematic theology is that the bible, nor God, seem to be very systematic. Please do not confuse me using the term systematic, with order. I believe that it is very evident, especially in the OT, that the Christian God is a God of order. As Princeton theologian Charles Hodge wrote, "The Bible is no more a system of theology than nature is a system of chemistry or of mechanics" (Introduction to Systematic Theology, 1872).

Several topics do not seem so systematic, or clear, in the bible. A few of these things would be things like: the trinity, the incarnation, and free will vs. predestination. I don't really care if anyone disagrees with me on issues like these. Especially the predestination and free will discussion as that is most prevalent. I do, however, take issue with people are so convinced that the bible points directly, and undisputed to one side or another. That's simply just not the case.

If anyone has similar thoughts to me or disagrees with me I'd love to hear it. Thanks for taking the time to read.