Jump to topic:

Contemporary Christian Music

justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 7:22:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is a question for both those in and out of the Christian circles. What do you think of Contemporary Christian Music? If you have not heard a lot of it, I have supplied some music videos etc. below from various individuals, groups, and styles. What is your spin on this? Is it appropriate for Christians to listen to? Is it good for their/our testimony?
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:20:57 PM
Contemporary Christian music could be good only if it's Biblically sound.. If it's not I would recommend listening to something that is like hymnals ..
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:21:39 PM
Like all art, CCM will have some who love it, and some who hate it.

From the standpoint of scripture - lots of call for music!
- 1 Chronicles 15:16
Then David spoke to the chiefs of the Levites to appoint their relatives the singers, with instruments of music, harps, lyres, loud-sounding cymbals, to raise sounds of joy.

I contrast CCM with ancient CM.
The history is that some innovators use the styles and instruments of the day to praise God. Some who cant separate the culture from the words and purpose of CCM. What makes ancient CM preferred by traditionalists? Simply the age and familiarity. Also, the CM that stands the test of time was probably the best of its day, where the new radio play CM has some that will last, and some that will fade with time.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:43:31 PM
Why do you get nice responses to your posts?
I told people to obey Yahushua and I did it nicely and no Christians responded. Instead the filth of DDO came out of the wood work and mocked our Elohim relentlessly.
Where were all of you to stand up for truth, huh?
Shabbat Shalom any way DDO.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:45:26 PM
I don't really listem to a lot of contempotary "christian" music (that may or may not surprise you) but I like dudes like Lecrae.

http://m.youtube.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:51:16 PM
At 6/21/2013 8:45:26 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I don't really listem to a lot of contempotary "christian" music (that may or may not surprise you) but I like dudes like Lecrae.

Yea... Lecrae, trip lee, tedashii, Andy Mineo, pro, reach records ... They're alright.. Have you heard of lamp mode recordings? Now wanna talk about Biblically sound music that's some good stuff there ..
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:51:28 PM
I think it's a good thing. But...for example, I consider Mackelmore's "sam love" a super "christian" song (or at least heavy christian undertones) but most wouldn't consider it so. Some might even say it's "anti" christian. (Ugghhhh.)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:53:26 PM
At 6/21/2013 8:43:31 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
I told people to obey Yahushua and I did it nicely and no Christians responded. Instead the filth of DDO came out of the wood work and mocked our Elohim relentlessly.

"If the world hates you, know that it hated me first." <- who said this?

Think about what you asked and then think about this.. Remember it's not about us, but about Him! :)
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:54:30 PM
At 6/21/2013 8:51:16 PM, TULIP wrote:

Yea... Lecrae, trip lee, tedashii, Andy Mineo, pro, reach records ... They're alright.. Have you heard of lamp mode recordings? Now wanna talk about Biblically sound music that's some good stuff there ..

Humble beast also has some good stuff. Propaganda, Odd Thomas, and Beautiful Eulogy
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 8:56:21 PM
"Yeah, I know they go'n hate us
Type they blog up, debate us
They be fishin for attention but don't know how to bait us
Keep that hate on Hiatus
Big ups to my Creator
No big bang just a banger
So tell that DJ to bang it! "

From one of my favorite Lecrae songs "I Know"
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:02:30 PM
At 6/21/2013 8:53:26 PM, TULIP wrote:

I know Tulip, I am fine, really. But where is the help? That is all I am asking. Good night.

Think about what you asked and then think about this.. Remember it's not about us, but about Him! :)
I am well aware of this. Look at my thousand plus posts. All I do is Prach His name. I have not even got into the identity of Yisrael yet. Just Uahushua, Yahushua, and Repent, repent, and He redeems, He redeems......I know it is not about me. I have mentioned one thing about myself piblically since I have been here and with out great detail. that I was healed and almost died numerous times. You, Gop and leojm, maybe one other gave YHWH and the Savior praise for it. Any way, Bye. I will be up and running after the Shabbat.
No, it is not about me. I have no opinions, is that not obvious?
A Christian on You tube today said that me and another worker were too religious and it sickened them. Ok, Christian, whatever. Religion is man made. I could cut my hair religiously or wear my fringes religiously, but Religion is a broad and universal term that covers all beliefs but the one true followers of Messiah have. We are set apart.
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:05:22 PM
At 6/21/2013 8:54:30 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/21/2013 8:51:16 PM, TULIP wrote:

Humble beast also has some good stuff. Propaganda, Odd Thomas, and Beautiful Eulogy

I think I know who humble beast, and propaganda is.. But yes beautiful eulogy is great too!! ;)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:10:22 PM
At 6/21/2013 8:21:39 PM, gordonjames wrote:

I am of the latter camp. I love the old hymns, and can't stand CCM. I would not attend a church that played contemporary christian music, especially praise choruses. While I don't judge the people that like it, I can't bear to hear the stuff.
Tsar of DDO
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:11:01 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:10:22 PM, YYW wrote:

I am of the latter camp. I love the old hymns, and can't stand CCM. I would not attend a church that played contemporary christian music, especially praise choruses. While I don't judge the people that like it, I can't bear to hear the stuff.

You mind me asking why?
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:14:29 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:02:30 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
At 6/21/2013 8:53:26 PM, TULIP wrote:

I know Tulip, I am fine, really. But where is the help? That is all I am asking. Good night.

If those of us are not doing our part God will deal with us, you just continue to do what your doing but with kindness, patience, love and humility. K? I think it's great you speak of our Holy Father and have so much knowledge about Him, but if people aren't getting it there's a line that needs to be drawn on your end. If someone doesn't like what your saying its cause conscience was touched.

I am well aware of this. Look at my thousand plus posts. All I do is Prach His name. I have not even got into the identity of Yisrael yet. Just Uahushua, Yahushua, and Repent, repent, and He redeems, He redeems......I know it is not about me. I have mentioned one thing about myself piblically since I have been here and with out great detail. that I was healed and almost died numerous times. You, Gop and leojm, maybe one other gave YHWH and the Savior praise for it. Any way, Bye. I will be up and running after the Shabbat.
No, it is not about me. I have no opinions, is that not obvious?
A Christian on You tube today said that me and another worker were too religious and it sickened them. Ok, Christian, whatever. Religion is man made. I could cut my hair religiously or wear my fringes religiously, but Religion is a broad and universal term that covers all beliefs but the one true followers of Messiah have. We are set apart.

And yes, people will do that or say whatever to you.. I've been threaten by a military guy before to be thrown outta a window.. Been pushed and shoved around.. So people talk or threaten or do things.. Who's it for? God, right? Let it be just that.. People will hate us because we stand for the truth.. And if we think we're not getting enough help then that becomes selfish on our parts because then were making it about ourselves and less about Him.. Trying to save people on our own just isn't gonna happen because we're not God..

I know you know these things already, but just idk felt the urge tell you all this as encouragement .. Please don't get upset :)

Goodnight to you as well! Grace and Peace!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:25:31 PM
This is the sort of music I really like in the church:

And generally stuff like that... but being that I'm a Presbyterian, it's not often that I hear this sort of thing.
Tsar of DDO
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:29:21 PM
I don't list to a lot of music. Classical is my favorite.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:32:59 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:11:01 PM, stubs wrote:

You mind me asking why?

CCM seems meaningless and empty to me. There is a je ne sais quoi of the old hymns, and specifically the old liturgical hymns/chants that are profoundly moving to me, which I have never experienced with a praise chorus. Perhaps to me I dislike them because they cheapen the exercise of worship. Perhaps it's because I've never personally connected with them. I also feel this way about revival baptist music, so there's that. If people feel that they connect to God by singing contemporary Songs, I won't judge or interfere -but when the church I was raised in started playing that music, I left -and many others did too. There is a place for it in Christendom, but I want nothing of it.
Tsar of DDO
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:33:06 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:25:31 PM, YYW wrote:

And generally stuff like that... but being that I'm a Presbyterian, it's not often that I hear this sort of thing.

What language is that haha?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:34:42 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:33:06 PM, stubs wrote:

The first is Russian, the others are German.
Tsar of DDO
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:35:32 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:32:59 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/21/2013 9:11:01 PM, stubs wrote:

You mind me asking why?

CCM seems meaningless and empty to me. There is a je ne sais quoi of the old hymns, and specifically the old liturgical hymns/chants that are profoundly moving to me, which I have never experienced with a praise chorus. Perhaps to me I dislike them because they cheapen the exercise of worship. Perhaps it's because I've never personally connected with them. I also feel this way about revival baptist music, so there's that. If people feel that they connect to God by singing contemporary Songs, I won't judge or interfere -but when the church I was raised in started playing that music, I left -and many others did too. There is a place for it in Christendom, but I want nothing of it.

As long as you don't think its unbiblical or wrong I don't mind that you don't like it (:
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:36:44 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:34:42 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/21/2013 9:33:06 PM, stubs wrote:

The first is Russian, the others are German.

You speak both those? That's sweet man
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:46:31 PM
I actually do think some of them are good and catchy. Even if I don't agree with their message, I do find myself singing them. I think their only purpose is to reach young people, however I know some pastors that are heavily against contemporary christian because of that purpose. They believe the music shouldn't adapt, but the person should.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:50:19 PM
I don't enjoy it. A guy doing a nauseatingly cliche 'sensitive voice' over the same four chords with generic lyrics. Jesus-is-my-boyfriend songs. A Christian band that tries way too hard to prove that they can rock just as hard with Jesus as those other guys. Maybe I just haven't heard the good stuff, because most of it just makes me roll my eyes.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:51:29 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:46:31 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
I actually do think some of them are good and catchy. Even if I don't agree with their message, I do find myself singing them. I think their only purpose is to reach young people, however I know some pastors that are heavily against contemporary christian because of that purpose. They believe the music shouldn't adapt, but the person should.

Every generation worships in a different way. Worshiping in a different is not wrong in the sense of style of music and stuff like that. Churches can either fight it or fund it. If you fight it, there's a good chance in 15-20 years the church will be gone.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:55:36 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:50:19 PM, Rusty wrote:
I don't enjoy it. A guy doing a nauseatingly cliche 'sensitive voice' over the same four chords with generic lyrics. Jesus-is-my-boyfriend songs. A Christian band that tries way too hard to prove that they can rock just as hard with Jesus as those other guys.

I 100% agree.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 9:59:22 PM
At 6/21/2013 9:51:29 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/21/2013 9:46:31 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

Every generation worships in a different way. Worshiping in a different is not wrong in the sense of style of music and stuff like that.

I agree.

Churches can either fight it or fund it. If you fight it, there's a good chance in 15-20 years the church will be gone.

The church will remain, and christendom will endure. There are many problems in the church now, but it will be alright -whether the music stays or goes.
Tsar of DDO