Jump to topic:

Can we reconstruct a religion?

ethelwulf
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:02:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There has been an increasing interest to recreate a pagan religion from the past to practice today. There have been attempts to revive religions in the past with the most successful being Gerald Gardner's return of the wiccan religion but many of these seem to superficial and fantasy rather than a serious religion. There are others that are trying to reconstruct a serious return of pre-Christian faith. The question is how can we bring back a true practice of the faith whether Celtic or Norse or combination of these beliefs.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:29:49 PM
At 6/25/2013 2:02:39 PM, ethelwulf wrote:
There has been an increasing interest to recreate a pagan religion from the past to practice today. There have been attempts to revive religions in the past with the most successful being Gerald Gardner's return of the wiccan religion but many of these seem to superficial and fantasy rather than a serious religion. There are others that are trying to reconstruct a serious return of pre-Christian faith. The question is how can we bring back a true practice of the faith whether Celtic or Norse or combination of these beliefs.

What's a "true practice of faith"?
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:38:08 PM

I think I know what you mean by pagan but I believe paganism often means the absence of a religion. Distinction would be Voodoo, often described as a collection of superstitions vs Christianity which is a structured practice of rituals... I'm not surprised that you can't find what you're looking for.
ethelwulf
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 1:09:44 AM
I will try to be more clear in the future I have new at a forum. My words a true practice of faith were probably not well chosen. What I want to convey is that I have been dissatisfied with Christianity for many reasons over the last 50 years and do not see myself as atheist of agnostic. I would like to believe that one could recover the belief system of my ancestors prior to its elimination by the Christian church. The problem with this is understanding what was their belief system. The term true practice of faith was to mean a belief system that would be true to myself and one I could have faith in. So any comments that may be of help would be most appreciated.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 1:19:19 AM
At 6/26/2013 1:09:44 AM, ethelwulf wrote:
I will try to be more clear in the future I have new at a forum. My words a true practice of faith were probably not well chosen. What I want to convey is that I have been dissatisfied with Christianity for many reasons over the last 50 years and do not see myself as atheist of agnostic.

Why not?

I would like to believe that one could recover the belief system of my ancestors prior to its elimination by the Christian church. The problem with this is understanding what was their belief system. The term true practice of faith was to mean a belief system that would be true to myself and one I could have faith in. So any comments that may be of help would be most appreciated.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
llamainmypocket
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 1:45:59 AM
At 6/26/2013 1:09:44 AM, ethelwulf wrote:
I will try to be more clear in the future I have new at a forum.

Oh ha! No, you misunderstand me. I'm saying that the meaning of pagan as I know it indicates what you've observed.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 8:30:56 AM

I'm afraid if you are dissatisfied with Christian religion, you would be very dissatisfied with Celtic - Norse, really any religion for that matter. What you going to do, suddenly believe in Thor, practice animal sacrifice, engage in superstitious rituals?

I have a better idea, build a new religion. If you do it right it can turn in to something spectacular. if you do it wrong you can at least get a compound of 30 or so followers that you can control.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 8:51:44 AM
Reconstruct? Are you kidding? 38000 or so christians have already done that so the answer is YES.
But just as importantly, CREATING a new religion is as easy as.
Just ask L.R.H.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 9:26:03 AM
At 6/26/2013 8:51:44 AM, bulproof wrote:
Reconstruct? Are you kidding? 38000 or so christians have already done that so the answer is YES.
But just as importantly, CREATING a new religion is as easy as.
Just ask L.R.H.

http://www.cults.co.nz...
ethelwulf
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 10:29:21 AM
To slo1 - How familiar are you with Germanic pre-Christian religions. Thor is a complex element in their belief system and belief in Thor is not necessary in the religion of the Pagans. That is an interesting topic in itself. Animal sacrifice was essential in Jewish faith occurring at the same time of germanic pagans and I do not know what superstitious rituals you are referring to. The history of the Christian religion is very complicated also. My biggest problem is the relationship between man and nature. Both Jesus and Paul were apocalyptic Jews who believed that the world was evil thus nature is evil. I do not believe this thus have a problem with Christianity. The German pagan religions had a positive relationship with nature. I have no desire to control people.

to bulproof - who is L. R. H.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 10:31:00 AM
At 6/26/2013 10:29:21 AM, ethelwulf wrote:

L. Ron Hubbard founded the "Church" of Scientology.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 11:08:51 AM
To slo1 - How familiar are you with Germanic pre-Christian religions. Thor is a complex element in their belief system and belief in Thor is not necessary in the religion of the Pagans. That is an interesting topic in itself. Animal sacrifice was essential in Jewish faith occurring at the same time of germanic pagans and I do not know what superstitious rituals you are referring to. The history of the Christian religion is very complicated also. My biggest problem is the relationship between man and nature. Both Jesus and Paul were apocalyptic Jews who believed that the world was evil thus nature is evil. I do not believe this thus have a problem with Christianity. The German pagan religions had a positive relationship with nature. I have no desire to control people.

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard! The man who in his infinite god given wisdom created SCIENTOLOGY.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 11:12:26 AM
At 6/26/2013 11:08:51 AM, bulproof wrote:

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard! The man who in his infinite god given wisdom created SCIENTOLOGY.

For verily, the prophet said "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion."
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 11:42:24 AM
YHWH hates organized religion. Just get close to Him these verses will help.
You reconcile with God through obedeince. Man brings sorrow on Himself. God offers peace and man spits in His face,
One needs to follow Yahshua the Living Torah! Christians do not though so this is a true Christian.
CJB) For Moshe writes about the righteousness grounded in the Torah that the person who does these things will attain life through them.

(KJV) For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

(The Scriptures 1998+) For Mosheh writes about the righteousness which is of the Torah, "The man who does these shall live by them."
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 11:42:45 AM
You reconcile with God through obedeince. Man brings sorrow on Himself. God offers peace and man spits in His face,
One needs to follow Yahshua the Living Torah! Christians do not though so this is a true Christian.
CJB) For Moshe writes about the righteousness grounded in the Torah that the person who does these things will attain life through them.

(KJV) For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

(The Scriptures 1998+) For Mosheh writes about the righteousness which is of the Torah, "The man who does these shall live by them."
ethelwulf
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 12:28:08 PM
to sower - The Jews were polytheistic and their god gave them the Torah for them only and not to the Christians nor other people. The other people which Jews referred to as gentiles had their gods so I am not looking for the Torah since I am not Jewish.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 2:17:00 PM

I'm not well versed, but the pre-christian pagan religions of Europe were full of superstition and crazy ritual. Animal sacrifices were frequent. Even human sacrifice was not unheard of.

I did just learn that Asatru is a neo-pagan religion that seeks to bring back the germanic pagan beliefs.

I just don't think killing things or people to honor a deity is good practice. I would be willing to bet there was crazy arse shat going on that since not well documented have been long forgotten. Life was hard back then, this is not just some tree hugging belief system to commune with nature.
ethelwulf
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 5:52:10 PM
To slo 1 - there are several things I would disagree with you on. First there is evidence that the Germanic people had great respect for nature. The trees that were used were blessed with thanks given before being used. The reports of sacrifice may have been misrepresented. I have said before that Jews during the same time were performing sacrifices and the people writing about the Germanic tribes were not the Germans but their enemies who often misunderstand events or intentionally report misinformation in order to make the others look bad. A good example of this is the early view that Romans had on early Christians. It was reported but good sources that the Christians were meeting in secreate places at night to perform incestuous rituals and to participate in cannibalism. I doubt that Christians were cannibals nor to I think that the were performing perverse sexual rituals but to the Romans they were. The more evidence we recover about pagan Germany the more similar their culture is to the northeaster Native Americans. This is most likely related to their similar interactions with nature. Both societies revered nature, had high respect for nature with matriarchal aspects in some Germanic and Indian tribes. The problem is that the Christian church did such a good propaganda extermination of all of the previous religious beliefs demonizing their symbols.