Jump to topic:

I wouldn't know

InMyHumbleOpinion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 2:20:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I only say what's in my mind, and if it offends anyone here, believe I didn't mean to do so. After all, I am seeking for righteous opinions, not hatred/offensive meanings.

I am a non-religious personnel, and I had a thought the other day. If one child was born, and as he/she grew up and not knowing the word 'Christ/God' or what have you, then religion would not exist because of his/hers limited-to-none knowledge of it.

To elaborate further, what I'm trying to say is, we weren't born to believe in the word 'Christ/God', but in fact, in my opinion, that we were told by our families, friends, people we know, schools, the society etc that God exist and it is 'right' to believe/follow God/religion.

Would religion as we know it be much fairer if we were born in knowing religion (straight away), rather than being taught/told about it?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 2:23:26 AM
At 6/29/2013 2:20:34 AM, InMyHumbleOpinion wrote:
I only say what's in my mind, and if it offends anyone here, believe I didn't mean to do so. After all, I am seeking for righteous opinions, not hatred/offensive meanings.

I am a non-religious personnel, and I had a thought the other day. If one child was born, and as he/she grew up and not knowing the word 'Christ/God' or what have you, then religion would not exist because of his/hers limited-to-none knowledge of it.

To elaborate further, what I'm trying to say is, we weren't born to believe in the word 'Christ/God', but in fact, in my opinion, that we were told by our families, friends, people we know, schools, the society etc that God exist and it is 'right' to believe/follow God/religion.

Would religion as we know it be much fairer if we were born in knowing religion (straight away), rather than being taught/told about it?

What do you mean "fairer"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
InMyHumbleOpinion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 2:25:43 AM
At 6/29/2013 2:23:26 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Acceptable.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 2:28:11 AM
At 6/29/2013 2:25:43 AM, InMyHumbleOpinion wrote:
At 6/29/2013 2:23:26 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Acceptable.

Still doesn't make sense. Are you asking if it would be better if we know religion at birth? Wouldn't that rather depend on whether any religious claim is true? And how would we be born with this knowledge?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 4:49:05 AM
Recent Data unambiguously proves ALL religions are extremely detrimental to decent societies!

Secular societies are superior in e.g. morality!
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 11:30:15 AM

I will respond with two observations. One is that in the case of Christianity, my understanding is that "Christ" is not the religion, but the ideal that the religion professes. Which means that one could grasp and follow the ideal with or without the religion. How? The ideal is presented as a fundamental truth. That means that it would be evident by simply observing and contemplating reality itself. (The "truth is what is, and is therefor "real".)

In simple terms, what I believe this means is that "Christ" is the idea of God's love acting in us and through us to heal us and save us from ourselves, and to help us save each other. That ideal can be both seen and experienced directly by interacting with the people in the world around us. We don't have to have a religion explain it to us. The religion may help (or it may not), but it's not a requirement.

The other observation I would like to make is that I believe that we human beings choose the ideologies (and interpret ideologies) that reflect our own natures, more-so than an ideology changes who we already are. What I mean by this is that in the case of religion, angry people choose to believe in an angry God, because that's what makes most 'sense' to them. While weak people choose to believe in a strong God, because that's what they need. Or generous people tend to believe in a generous God. And so on.

Our concepts of God reflect who we already are, far more often than our concepts of God change who we are. And this is true of our politics, philosophy, art, sociality, sexuality, and etc. And what's important to understand about this, I think, is that we can learn a lot about who we really are (as opposed to who we think we are) by the ideologies we have chosen to hold on to .... if we are willing to look within ourselves in this way.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 11:40:20 AM
This all assumes we have a univocal meaning of "God" and "Christ", which I strongly doubt.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...