Same sex marriage: Why not??

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 7:49:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com...

This is a very good lecture on the importance of marriage in our society, and the effects of redefining it. Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse, of the Ruth Institute, gives an educational talk about what marriage means to children and society, and discusses some of the legal fallout that is already happening, and is likely to progress. It's a couple years old but still appropriate.

Although it's an hour long, it's worth the time if you have any desire to see why people oppose the redefinition of marriage. Most of you have heard the pro-homosexual propaganda, but I doubt that many of you have had much exposure to the other side of the argument, beyond the typical religious arguments.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 8:25:10 PM
People arn't going to be inclined to watch an hour long video, and certainly not with your track record.

So how about you just tell us what the number 1 reason is, why we shouldn't allow two adults of the same sex to marry.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 8:42:13 PM
At 7/3/2013 8:40:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
Break their fvcking legs. That'll teach them.

Throwing some holy water on them might help too.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 8:42:47 PM

I laughed.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:56:04 PM

But it tears up your yard when you hook them to the truck bumper to drag them off your property.
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 10:03:09 PM
I support same sex marriage. Especially when there's a hot lesbian couple. That's like two in one fun.

Wait wat.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 10:03:39 PM
What makes this redefinition so crucial as opposed to it being redefined as needing to be consensual between the two spouses, and the redefinition that two people of different races can marry?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 10:03:48 PM
I watched the beginning, but it made my brain sad so I had to turn it off.
Sorry, but if there's a new, convincing argument that we haven't heard before, I find it hard to believe it can't be expressed briefly and clearly - either by you, or this Dr. Morse (whose PhD, incidentally, is in the entirely irrelevant field of Economics).

I'm always wary of people who have to resort to rambling verbosity to get a point across, especially when it's peppered with blatantly unsubstantiated assertions that I'm guessing form part of her premise. For instance, I stopped watching the moment she "you're not supposed to have sex outside marriage", as if that was an established fact. I don't even know what "supposed to" means when people use it in such a context.

Well, that was a fun first post :P
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 10:10:29 PM
At 7/3/2013 10:03:48 PM, Drayson wrote:
Sorry, but if there's a new, convincing argument that we haven't heard before, I find it hard to believe it can't be expressed briefly and clearly - either by you, or this Dr. Morse (whose PhD, incidentally, is in the entirely irrelevant field of Economics).

I'm always wary of people who have to resort to rambling verbosity to get a point across, especially when it's peppered with blatantly unsubstantiated assertions that I'm guessing form part of her premise. For instance, I stopped watching the moment she "you're not supposed to have sex outside marriage", as if that was an established fact. I don't even know what "supposed to" means when people use it in such a context.

Ironically, the economic aspect of state-recognized marriage is the strongest argument for it...

By the way, Medic, do you have any objections to civil unions?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:43:12 AM

Well, that's one hell of an excellent debut post.

I concur with this and the above guy who stated that no-one is going to feel inclined to watch an hour long video. If you have a transcript of the video I'll be more than willing to read that (since amazingly enough, I can in fact read considerably quicker in my head than having to listen to a big long lecture). Otherwise, I second the call for you to provide the most compelling of the reasons she gave for SSM not to be legal.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 3:17:06 AM

Circumlocution is the preferred tactic of those whose arguments have nothing else going for them. They may be wrong, but by the time they finish talking, you'll either have forgotten which part was objectionable or have fallen asleep.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:26:01 PM
At 7/3/2013 8:42:13 PM, YYW wrote:

Doesn't work, they just think they're getting a golden shower.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:29:24 PM
At 7/4/2013 7:26:01 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/3/2013 8:42:13 PM, YYW wrote:

Doesn't work, they just think they're getting a golden shower.

Don't knock it 'till ya' try it.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:39:22 PM
At 7/3/2013 10:10:29 PM, drhead wrote:

Ironically, the economic aspect of state-recognized marriage is the strongest argument for it...

By the way, Medic, do you have any objections to civil unions?

I use to say I'd be ok with them but now that I know that homosexualists won't be satisfied with that, I say no. They should not gain special recognition for perverse sexual behavior.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:42:21 PM

You know you're clever when Drafterman takes his smart remarks from you.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:44:34 PM
At 7/4/2013 7:42:21 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I'm confused. Are you saying he plagiarized you?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:46:50 PM
At 7/4/2013 7:44:34 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

No, he stole my line.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:49:17 PM
At 7/4/2013 7:46:50 PM, medic0506 wrote:

No, he stole my line.

Oh. You're the one who originally said to break homosexual's legs? Tell me you were joking at least.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:57:46 PM
At 7/4/2013 7:49:17 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

No, he stole my line.

Oh. You're the one who originally said to break homosexual's legs? Tell me you were joking at least.

I was referring to a hypothetical situation in which any freaky looking trannies may happen to wander onto my property. It had nothing to do with homosexualists.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:00:34 PM
At 7/4/2013 7:57:46 PM, medic0506 wrote:

No, he stole my line.

I was referring to a hypothetical situation in which any freaky looking trannies may happen to wander onto my property. It had nothing to do with homosexualists.

You would break the legs of anyone who happens to wander onto your property?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:04:35 PM
At 7/4/2013 8:00:34 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

No, he stole my line.

Nope, only transexuals or gays.

"If I encounter such people publically, or they are in my ambulance, I treat them with the same civility that I treat everyone else, and I've never had a complaint. However if they were to come to my house, near my family, I would probably break their legs. I'm sure you see that as further evidence of hatred, as that is the nature of individuals such as yourself, but so be it."

http://www.debate.org... (page 3)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:11:20 PM
At 7/3/2013 8:25:10 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
People arn't going to be inclined to watch an hour long video, and certainly not with your track record.

So how about you just tell us what the number 1 reason is, why we shouldn't allow two adults of the same sex to marry.

medic0506: Because I am a bigot, a homophobe, and God said so.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:18:57 PM
At 7/4/2013 8:04:35 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/4/2013 8:00:34 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

No, he stole my line.

Nope, only transexuals or gays.

"If I encounter such people publically, or they are in my ambulance, I treat them with the same civility that I treat everyone else, and I've never had a complaint. However if they were to come to my house, near my family, I would probably break their legs. I'm sure you see that as further evidence of hatred, as that is the nature of individuals such as yourself, but so be it."

http://www.debate.org... (page 3)

Wow, medic said some really fvcked up sh!t in that thread. I had zero respect for the man going into this, but now I have some hatred toward him as well. What dafterman said in that thread was so true, and I think got too little recognition: The epitaph of your generation are embarrassed grand kids telling their friends, "Oh, just ignore him, he's old and doesn't know any better."

Medic, if you're not a troll, how do you live with yourself?
And, if you are a troll, how do you live with yourself?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:20:04 PM
The real blame of course rests as always with the various Story book gods that apparently made men's poopey bottom so attractive to certain men!
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:24:00 PM
At 7/4/2013 8:20:04 PM, Composer wrote:
The real blame of course rests as always with the various Story book gods that apparently made men's poopey bottom so attractive to certain men!

No, the real blame rests with the idiots who believe in this nonsense.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 8:50:54 PM

No, he stole my line.

We won't ever let him forget about that.

My quote: "Why don't you simply break the legs of homosexual teenagers until they realize the futility of rebelling against their humanity? If that doesn't work, hang a few of them as an example. As a True-American YEC or whatever, these solutions should come naturally to you."
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 9:59:26 PM
At 7/3/2013 7:49:08 PM, medic0506 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

This is a very good lecture on the importance of marriage in our society, and the effects of redefining it. Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse, of the Ruth Institute, gives an educational talk about what marriage means to children and society, and discusses some of the legal fallout that is already happening, and is likely to progress. It's a couple years old but still appropriate.

Although it's an hour long, it's worth the time if you have any desire to see why people oppose the redefinition of marriage. Most of you have heard the pro-homosexual propaganda, but I doubt that many of you have had much exposure to the other side of the argument, beyond the typical religious arguments.

I don't even listen to 6:00 minute clips from Alex Jones on gay marriage, much less an hour. If you really want to show people what both sides of the argument are, you should be willing to at least summarize what you consider to be the strong points.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 7:26:28 AM
At 7/4/2013 8:50:54 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

No, he stole my line.

My quote: "Why don't you simply break the legs of homosexual teenagers until they realize the futility of rebelling against their humanity? If that doesn't work, hang a few of them as an example. As a True-American YEC or whatever, these solutions should come naturally to you."

Not to detract from the sentiment, but I didn't "take" the line from you in the sense that your quote was the inspiration for it. We should just chalk it up to great minds thinking alike.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 7:28:16 AM
At 7/5/2013 7:26:28 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/4/2013 8:50:54 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

No, he stole my line.

Not to detract from the sentiment, but I didn't "take" the line from you in the sense that your quote was the inspiration for it. We should just chalk it up to great minds thinking alike.

Meh. Nevermind. I misread the string.