Jump to topic:

Lack of belief = belief? Don't make me giggle

DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 3:42:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does anyone else here believe the statement "I do not believe god(s) exist" is logically equivalent to the statement "I believe god(s) do not exist"? The topic came up in a conversation between me and T-Bone, but since he is uninterested in debating it, I'd be happy to take on someone else. Any takers?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:24:42 PM
In the perspective that: if you don't believe , then you believe in nothing, you'd then be a nothing believe.

But I do know a lot of atheist are just agnostic.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:51:58 PM
At 7/4/2013 1:09:21 PM, stubs wrote:
Can you expand on why you do not believe they are the logical equivalent?

I certainly will in the debate, if I find any takers.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 1:57:11 PM
They are the same. I get annoyed when people get confused because something is reworded and think that rewording has a different meaning.

I believe God does not exist = I do not believe God exists. I know some people think the former is a positive assertion of fact whereas the latter is the absence of a positive assertion of fact, but we really need to learn how to distinguish linguistic presentation from logical consequence. In asserting a lack of believe in God, you are asserting a disbelief.

These two statements are syntactical permutations of the same concept. They. are. the same.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:00:12 PM
At 7/4/2013 1:51:58 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I will cautiously take you up on that.... remembering what happened last time lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:10:41 PM
At 7/4/2013 2:00:12 PM, 000ike wrote:

I will cautiously take you up on that.... remembering what happened last time lol

Wow, I wasn't expecting you of all people to take me up on this; I'd be more than happy to debate you again. I'll send the debate challenge within a couple days if that is convenient for you as well.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:12:49 PM
At 7/4/2013 2:10:41 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 7/4/2013 2:00:12 PM, 000ike wrote:

Wow, I wasn't expecting you of all people to take me up on this; I'd be more than happy to debate you again. I'll send the debate challenge within a couple days if that is convenient for you as well.

not a problem.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 2:32:02 PM
At 7/4/2013 3:42:55 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Does anyone else here believe the statement "I do not believe god(s) exist" is logically equivalent to the statement "I believe god(s) do not exist"? The topic came up in a conversation between me and T-Bone, but since he is uninterested in debating it, I'd be happy to take on someone else. Any takers?

Well, since gods either exist or they do not, there can be only two possible beliefs regarding the question of the existence of gods: one must either believe that they exist, or one believes that they do not exist.

The agnostic position is not about belief, it's about what one knows, or rather does not know. So that one does not 'believe" in agnosticism, one either knows or does not know enough to make the determination for himself. The latter case for the agnostic.

This being understood, the claim of "unbelief" must then either be the equivalent of belief in the only other option, or it is simply irrelevant nonsense.

There's nothing here to "debate".
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 3:00:55 PM
At 7/4/2013 2:32:02 PM, PureX wrote:

Well, since gods either exist or they do not, there can be only two possible beliefs regarding the question of the existence of gods: one must either believe that they exist, or one believes that they do not exist.

The agnostic position is not about belief, it's about what one knows, or rather does not know. So that one does not 'believe" in agnosticism, one either knows or does not know enough to make the determination for himself. The latter case for the agnostic.

This being understood, the claim of "unbelief" must then either be the equivalent of belief in the only other option, or it is simply irrelevant nonsense.

On the contrary, ike and I will debate it shortly.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 10:59:26 PM

But thats the point.

There is no logical contradiction between disbelief of both positions and claiming "I Cannot believe either claim". So there isnt necessarily anything wrong with disbelieving both claims and being non-committal to either claim.

But all in all, im fine with claiming that i believe there are no Gods, because to me, its the same as saying I believe there are no unicorns.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:21:07 PM

DakotaKrafick is correct. I find it bizarre that you, an informed theist, actually need a reason. A rock cannot believe anything. It lacks all belief. Thus, it lacks the belief God exists. A Rock can lack belief that God exists, but it cannot believe God does not exist. Thus, they cannot be the same thing.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:26:08 PM
If the two were logically equivalent, then the rock would either have to have to entail both qualities on context, or none of them. However, the rock has results in one quality pertaining to itself, but not the other. This means it is logically necessary, that the two are not logically equivalent.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:29:50 PM
Anybody who debates DakotaKrafick on this is engaging in suicide. Would someone like to debate me on this? I wouldn't mind a shameless easy win :)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:31:20 PM
I think the problem here is that there are some who think you can't lack a belief in a concept that you've been exposed to, you either don't understand it (and haven't REALLY been exposed to it yet, since you do not comprehend), or you take a position on the claim that it is either true or false. I do not agree with it, but it seems that exposure is the demarcation point?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:38:19 PM
At 7/4/2013 11:31:20 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I think the problem here is that there are some who think you can't lack a belief in a concept that you've been exposed to, you either don't understand it (and haven't REALLY been exposed to it yet, since you do not comprehend), or you take a position on the claim that it is either true or false. I do not agree with it, but it seems that exposure is the demarcation point?

It's a false-dichotomy. You don't have to believe in x, or believe in -x. You can lack belief in x, and lack belief in -x, while not believing in x, or believing in -x.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 11:47:00 PM
At 7/4/2013 11:38:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It's a false-dichotomy. You don't have to believe in x, or believe in -x. You can lack belief in x, and lack belief in -x, while not believing in x, or believing in -x.

I agree...part of the problem is probably that you can't lack belief in X and HAVE belief in -X, and some folks (prolly myself included) don't do a good enough job asserting that lack in -X. Maybe?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 1:12:53 AM
At 7/5/2013 1:05:18 AM, stubs wrote:
Essentially they are still two ways to say you're not a theist right?

But that's like saying that a motorcycle and a bicycle are two ways to say "not a car"
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 1:30:44 AM
At 7/5/2013 1:05:18 AM, stubs wrote:
Essentially they are still two ways to say you're not a theist right?

Hahah Yes, but two very different ways stubs.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 4:15:51 AM

They aren't the same.

"I do not believe gods(s) exist. Not = N; Belief = B; exist = E.

This would be NB>E

"I do not believe god(s) do not exist" This would be NB>NE

Does NB>NE mean that they are theists?

If not, and it just means they don't take the believe that god(s) don't exist, they probably just don't know, then one could say that NB>E and NB>NE are not mutually exclusive. *This is the crux of the matter, I believe*

Is NB>NE the same as B>E, in some cases, two negatives do make a positive, but not all cases. It doesn't seem to be the same to me, but I'll leave others to argue for this for now, and just assume they aren't the same here.

Someone could not have the belief that god(s) exist or don;t exist, they may not know. So if someone can believe NB>NE + NB>E, can that be the same as "I believe god(s) do not exist"?

B>NE is the last statement, and one of the statements of our hypothetical person is NB>NE. This means that to hold both of these positions is contradictory.

So if it can be contradictory to "not have the belief that god(s) exist" and to "believe god(s) don't exist" in some circumstances, they can't be the same thing.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 7:00:43 AM
At 7/4/2013 10:59:26 PM, tkubok wrote:

But thats the point.

There is no logical contradiction between disbelief of both positions and claiming "I Cannot believe either claim". So there isnt necessarily anything wrong with disbelieving both claims and being non-committal to either claim.

But all in all, im fine with claiming that i believe there are no Gods, because to me, its the same as saying I believe there are no unicorns.

What one "doesn't believe" is irrelevant to a question about belief. If one "doesn't believe" gods exist, or do not exist, then their non-belief becomes a non-issue regarding the question of the existence of gods. So that stating one's "non-belief" in the existence of gods is both pointless and irrational.

It's all just irrelevant nonsense. No one cares about what someone doesn't believe, and no one has asked.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 7:19:05 AM

disbelief is the linguistic description of "lack of belief" just because it's shortened to one word doesn't suddenly give it a new meaning. lol

It's a linguist distinction with equivalent logical consequences. I wouldn't be so confident against this if I were you.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 10:34:31 AM
At 7/5/2013 7:00:43 AM, PureX wrote:
At 7/4/2013 10:59:26 PM, tkubok wrote:

But thats the point.

What one "doesn't believe" is irrelevant to a question about belief. If one "doesn't believe" gods exist, or do not exist, then their non-belief becomes a non-issue regarding the question of the existence of gods. So that stating one's "non-belief" in the existence of gods is both pointless and irrational.

It's all just irrelevant nonsense. No one cares about what someone doesn't believe, and no one has asked.

Actually, if youre going to ask or tell me that i believe that no Gods exist, then yes, someone has asked what i do or do not believe, and therefore saying "No, thats not what atheism necessarily is" is a valid point to make. Especially if someone, as per the OPs post, is going to equate "I dont believe that God exists" with "I believe that No Gods exist", then its an even more valid point to make.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 11:17:10 AM
At 7/5/2013 7:19:05 AM, 000ike wrote:

disbelief is the linguistic description of "lack of belief" just because it's shortened to one word doesn't suddenly give it a new meaning. lol

It's a linguist distinction with equivalent logical consequences. I wouldn't be so confident against this if I were you.

and keep in mind that you were equally confident on our flaws debate that flaws were objective, and you lost that.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 11:38:56 AM
There are 2 options to this:

1) They are the same.

2) They are not the same BUT only one of them can be used to define a position on belief: I believe God(s) doe not exist.

Although atheists have every right to define their term, they are quite limited in scope because they either hold the same belief as theists (ludicrous, of course) or they hold the contraposition belief in no God(s). There are no other alternatives left that describe belief. "Lack of belief" cannot answer the question of belief no more than a color can describe a sound. "Lack of belief" is essentially anything in the entire Universe other than belief. That is an extremely ambiguous thing, if one can call it that.

This problem arise because of a poor choice in defining; however, what if theists took that method of defining? If theists define their position as "not atheist" we run into the problem that all those that "lacked belief" and were atheists by default BEFORE are NOW theists by default! Of course, neither of these are acceptable definitions of terms that answer the question of belief.

In the end, "lack of belief" is not a position on belief. The funny thing is that everyone (so far) that defend this point can NEVER answer the question what is "lack of belief" a position on?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 12:52:02 PM
At 7/5/2013 10:34:31 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 7/5/2013 7:00:43 AM, PureX wrote:

Actually, if youre going to ask or tell me that i believe that no Gods exist, then yes, someone has asked what i do or do not believe, and therefore saying "No, thats not what atheism necessarily is" is a valid point to make.

Well, if someone is telling you what you believe, then they aren't asking you, are they.

And if someone is asking you what you believe, then they aren't asking you what you DON'T believe, are they.

So that in either case, I can't see any logical reason to respond by telling them what you don't believe.

If they ask you, or tell you what the term "atheist" means, and you disagree, then by all means feel free to argue with them about the meaning of the term. But beware that these arguments often come down to "I say/you say", and resolve nothing. And anyway, this argument has little to do with the question of the existence or non-exoiostence of God.