Total Posts:291|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God exists or not?

sweetbreeze
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:41:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've seen that so many people are questioning if God exists. Even Christians. But Christians not believing that God exists is a big problem. I mean, wouldn't that make them an incomplete Christian? Well, even though they don't believe that God exists, they don't need to go around bragging about it. I'm Buddhist, but I don't question that he exists. I do believe that if there's no God, there'll be no us. I mean, I wouldn't go around bragging about how God doesn't exist, like most people would do. That's just judgement. I mean, they don't even know for sure, and then they just go around bragging about how God doesn't exist. Wouldn't that hurt His feelings? I mean, He loves us THAT much, and He even had his own son dying for our sins, but then, people just betrayed Him. If that was me, I would have felt terrible. Do you think that's fair? And don't go asking me for proof because I'm not Christian, at least not yet...
Drayson
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:47:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A couple of points:

1) Very few people actually say "God does not exist" and mean it literally. A rational person does not speak in absolutes...however we can speak in levels of probability. I can say it is so unlikely that God exists, I can safely assume he doesn't - based on the fact that if God existed, I would have seen evidence of that fact by now.

Usually when you hear someone God doesn't exist, what they're saying is that "I'm certain he doesn't exist to such a degree as is possible to be certain of something's non-existence"

2) One thing that has always baffled me is the belief among religious people that people should not offend God because it will "hurt his feelings". Having feelings that can be hurt by lowly creatures like us implies weakness on his part, which contradicts the concept of omnipotence.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 9:59:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
And yes I do believe that God has feelings not only similar to ours but much greater, a capacity to feel and express on a much larger scale only without corruption.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:07:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 9:41:15 PM, sweetbreeze wrote:
I've seen that so many people are questioning if God exists. Even Christians. But Christians not believing that God exists is a big problem. I mean, wouldn't that make them an incomplete Christian? Well, even though they don't believe that God exists, they don't need to go around bragging about it. I'm Buddhist, but I don't question that he exists. I do believe that if there's no God, there'll be no us. I mean, I wouldn't go around bragging about how God doesn't exist, like most people would do. That's just judgement. I mean, they don't even know for sure, and then they just go around bragging about how God doesn't exist. Wouldn't that hurt His feelings? I mean, He loves us THAT much, and He even had his own son dying for our sins, but then, people just betrayed Him. If that was me, I would have felt terrible. Do you think that's fair? And don't go asking me for proof because I'm not Christian, at least not yet...

If I may ask, Buddhists don't really believe in a Person like God correct? or at least one that has feelings and emotions?
leonardlewis4
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 9:47:28 PM, Drayson wrote:
A couple of points:

1) Very few people actually say "God does not exist" and mean it literally. A rational person does not speak in absolutes...however we can speak in levels of probability. I can say it is so unlikely that God exists, I can safely assume he doesn't - based on the fact that if God existed, I would have seen evidence of that fact by now.

Usually when you hear someone God doesn't exist, what they're saying is that "I'm certain he doesn't exist to such a degree as is possible to be certain of something's non-existence"

2) One thing that has always baffled me is the belief among religious people that people should not offend God because it will "hurt his feelings". Having feelings that can be hurt by lowly creatures like us implies weakness on his part, which contradicts the concept of omnipotence.

- Rational people speak in absolutes all the time.
- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.
- Most "religious people" don't think it is possible to hurt God's feelings... I know another post mentioned that, but to generalize from that is rather hasty--don't you think?
Drayson
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:35:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:47:28 PM, Drayson wrote:
A couple of points:

1) Very few people actually say "God does not exist" and mean it literally. A rational person does not speak in absolutes...however we can speak in levels of probability. I can say it is so unlikely that God exists, I can safely assume he doesn't - based on the fact that if God existed, I would have seen evidence of that fact by now.

Usually when you hear someone God doesn't exist, what they're saying is that "I'm certain he doesn't exist to such a degree as is possible to be certain of something's non-existence"

2) One thing that has always baffled me is the belief among religious people that people should not offend God because it will "hurt his feelings". Having feelings that can be hurt by lowly creatures like us implies weakness on his part, which contradicts the concept of omnipotence.

- Rational people speak in absolutes all the time.
No, rational thinking necessarily requires the acknowledgement of the possibility (however small) that a statement or claim could be wrong. Any claim that is made in absolute certainty (ie, no consideration of falsifiability) is irrational.

- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Incorrect. I do not "know God exists". I am contained within the set "everyone", therefore that statement is false.

- Most "religious people" don't think it is possible to hurt God's feelings... I know another post mentioned that, but to generalize from that is rather hasty--don't you think?

Well, I've never taken a poll, but it seems a rather large portion of followers of Christianity, Judaism and Islam have a concept of blasphemy - which by definition implies humans can have an effect on the emotional state of an omnipotent deity.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:40:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 9:59:09 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
And yes I do believe that God has feelings not only similar to ours but much greater, a capacity to feel and express on a much larger scale only without corruption.

I recognize that a major aspect of Christianity is the humanization and often personalization of god, but I think that conferring a state of human emotions upon such a deity is going too far.

Feelings, or emotions, are often manifested from our uncertainty and ultimately short lifespans. We have a connection with things and an unknowing aspect to reality that causes us to react in such a way. In other words, a child crying for whatever reason because they can't handle a basic emotion. An adult learns to deal with those things and cries over things more significant (they can handle things emotionally a child can't... so relating this to god pretty much means god should be immune to "feelings"). I find it hard to believe that apart from very basic concepts of feeling of "love" towards his creations (and by this I simply mean the sense of commitment to them) there isn't much that god would actual "feel", in any human related sense of the word.

God doesn't have any sense of uncertainty, doesn't have fear, or joy, (in any real sense that we can imagine) so I can't imagine what types of "feelings" (or emotions) a god could actually have unless we relegate such a god to just a more evolved (or advanced) human that is immortal and without a sense of an evil inclination. Even this though would be what drives someone to potentially do bad things as emotions or "feelings" are what allows us to easily rationalize things we know are "bad" or bad for us. In this case then, I don't see how it is conceptually possible that god has "feelings" in any way that we understand them.
Debate.org Moderator
sweetbreeze
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:46:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 9:52:23 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a basic tenant for Christianity is to believe that God exists lol.

But jojoclaw doesn't. He even debated GOP and said that God doesn't exist. He's Christian.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:48:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:46:52 PM, sweetbreeze wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:52:23 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a basic tenant for Christianity is to believe that God exists lol.

But jojoclaw doesn't. He even debated GOP and said that God doesn't exist. He's Christian.

There might be an explanation for that, and even if not, he's just one guy.
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
sweetbreeze
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:48:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:07:52 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:41:15 PM, sweetbreeze wrote:
I've seen that so many people are questioning if God exists. Even Christians. But Christians not believing that God exists is a big problem. I mean, wouldn't that make them an incomplete Christian? Well, even though they don't believe that God exists, they don't need to go around bragging about it. I'm Buddhist, but I don't question that he exists. I do believe that if there's no God, there'll be no us. I mean, I wouldn't go around bragging about how God doesn't exist, like most people would do. That's just judgement. I mean, they don't even know for sure, and then they just go around bragging about how God doesn't exist. Wouldn't that hurt His feelings? I mean, He loves us THAT much, and He even had his own son dying for our sins, but then, people just betrayed Him. If that was me, I would have felt terrible. Do you think that's fair? And don't go asking me for proof because I'm not Christian, at least not yet...

If I may ask, Buddhists don't really believe in a Person like God correct? or at least one that has feelings and emotions?

No, Buddhists don't believe that God exists, but I was once a half Christian, so I still have a feeling that He exists.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.
Debate.org Moderator
sweetbreeze
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:51:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:48:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:46:52 PM, sweetbreeze wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:52:23 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a basic tenant for Christianity is to believe that God exists lol.

But jojoclaw doesn't. He even debated GOP and said that God doesn't exist. He's Christian.

There might be an explanation for that, and even if not, he's just one guy.

But, you never know. There might be other Christians that don't believe He exists.
leonardlewis4
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:53:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:35:29 PM, Drayson wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:47:28 PM, Drayson wrote:
A couple of points:

1) Very few people actually say "God does not exist" and mean it literally. A rational person does not speak in absolutes...however we can speak in levels of probability. I can say it is so unlikely that God exists, I can safely assume he doesn't - based on the fact that if God existed, I would have seen evidence of that fact by now.

Usually when you hear someone God doesn't exist, what they're saying is that "I'm certain he doesn't exist to such a degree as is possible to be certain of something's non-existence"

2) One thing that has always baffled me is the belief among religious people that people should not offend God because it will "hurt his feelings". Having feelings that can be hurt by lowly creatures like us implies weakness on his part, which contradicts the concept of omnipotence.

- Rational people speak in absolutes all the time.
No, rational thinking necessarily requires the acknowledgement of the possibility (however small) that a statement or claim could be wrong. Any claim that is made in absolute certainty (ie, no consideration of falsifiability) is irrational.

Are you absolutely sure of that? To deny absolute truth is the ultimate form of irrationality.


- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Incorrect. I do not "know God exists". I am contained within the set "everyone", therefore that statement is false.

The statement is not false. You have suppressed your intrinsic knowledge of God. You assume (unconsciously) that He exists every time you make a truth claim. Again, I can prove it if you are interested in anything other than denying His existence.


- Most "religious people" don't think it is possible to hurt God's feelings... I know another post mentioned that, but to generalize from that is rather hasty--don't you think?

Well, I've never taken a poll, but it seems a rather large portion of followers of Christianity, Judaism and Islam have a concept of blasphemy - which by definition implies humans can have an effect on the emotional state of an omnipotent deity.

There is a concept of blasphemy. (BTW: you are doing that when you deny Him)... However, that in no way "implies" that you have affected His emotional state if/when you do so. You seem to be really stretching to make that connection. Perhaps you can clarify... Why would you think that would affect Him emotionally? IMO, that is a very arrogant notion.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:53:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The single biggest problem for Christians (and people of faith in a monastic god, generally) is the idea that there must be some sort of "proof" to justify their belief in God. The whole point of faith, however, is belief in the absence of verifiable evidence. Apologetic (who unceasingly put fourth terrible arguments for God's existence) come up with all sorts of syllogisms which 'derive' God's existence from morality, from existence of humans, etc. It's nonsense insomuch as their arguments fail in every respect to prove what they aspire to prove. The fundamental problem is the belief that God's existence requires proof or justification -which is absurd. By faith alone man is saved. By faith alone man accepts God. There is no other way.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:54:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:51:25 PM, sweetbreeze wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:09 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:46:52 PM, sweetbreeze wrote:
At 7/7/2013 9:52:23 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a basic tenant for Christianity is to believe that God exists lol.

But jojoclaw doesn't. He even debated GOP and said that God doesn't exist. He's Christian.

There might be an explanation for that, and even if not, he's just one guy.

But, you never know. There might be other Christians that don't believe He exists.

A fundamental tenet of Christianity is a belief in god, if they don't believe in god they aren't really a Christian.

It'd be like someone who calls them self a vegetarian, but eats meat. It doesn't make sense.
Debate.org Moderator
leonardlewis4
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:56:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

Really??? I would have expected a more respectful answer from "the president"...
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:57:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:53:53 PM, YYW wrote:
The single biggest problem for Christians (and people of faith in a monastic god, generally) is the idea that there must be some sort of "proof" to justify their belief in God. The whole point of faith, however, is belief in the absence of verifiable evidence. Apologetic (who unceasingly put fourth terrible arguments for God's existence) come up with all sorts of syllogisms which 'derive' God's existence from morality, from existence of humans, etc. It's nonsense insomuch as their arguments fail in every respect to prove what they aspire to prove. The fundamental problem is the belief that God's existence requires proof or justification -which is absurd. By faith alone man is saved. By faith alone man accepts God. There is no other way.

Indeed. Provability of god would defeat the purpose. Though someone asserting on this site (which requires evidence and not just bold assertions) that god exists and that we should accept this fact should be able to make a reasonable case.

But to your point, I agree. In Jewish tradition there is a belief that god has intentionally hidden himself to maintain mankind's freewill. If gods existence were obvious and apparent, free will would not exist. So in all cases one can take it upon them self to recognize god in every manifestation of reality, or explain it away by the means which god has allowed.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:59:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

I think I'd rather buy something like... a few new shirts. lol
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 10:59:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:56:08 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

Really??? I would have expected a more respectful answer from "the president"...

It was just a joke, but I apologize. Feel free to provide your proof that god exists. I just don't believe that any proof really exists.
Debate.org Moderator
leonardlewis4
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:00:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

What is your standard for truth?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:00:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:56:08 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

Really??? I would have expected a more respectful answer from "the president"...

The president is never allowed to crack a joke!!!1111!!!!!

Seriously, though, what's your proof? Still waitin' on that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:01:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:59:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

I think I'd rather buy something like... a few new shirts. lol

haha me too... though for actual proof that god exists for under $300.00 I might accept that deal. I could then write a few books and make that money back easily.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:03:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 10:57:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:53:53 PM, YYW wrote:
The single biggest problem for Christians (and people of faith in a monastic god, generally) is the idea that there must be some sort of "proof" to justify their belief in God. The whole point of faith, however, is belief in the absence of verifiable evidence. Apologetic (who unceasingly put fourth terrible arguments for God's existence) come up with all sorts of syllogisms which 'derive' God's existence from morality, from existence of humans, etc. It's nonsense insomuch as their arguments fail in every respect to prove what they aspire to prove. The fundamental problem is the belief that God's existence requires proof or justification -which is absurd. By faith alone man is saved. By faith alone man accepts God. There is no other way.

Indeed. Provability of god would defeat the purpose. Though someone asserting on this site (which requires evidence and not just bold assertions) that god exists and that we should accept this fact should be able to make a reasonable case.

It would be my position that no case which aspired to "prove" the existence of God could be reasonable, but people will still try. It would also be my position that those who do fundamentally lack faith, so they default to reason in effort to overcome their own uncertainty and fear.

But to your point, I agree. In Jewish tradition there is a belief that god has intentionally hidden himself to maintain mankind's freewill. If gods existence were obvious and apparent, free will would not exist. So in all cases one can take it upon them self to recognize god in every manifestation of reality, or explain it away by the means which god has allowed.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:03:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:00:42 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:56:08 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

Really??? I would have expected a more respectful answer from "the president"...

The president is never allowed to crack a joke!!!1111!!!!!

I think this shows why I tend not to joke around too often... or generally ever post in the religion forum.

Nonetheless I apologize to leonardlewis4, I was making a joke at your expense and it was inappropriate.

Seriously, though, what's your proof? Still waitin' on that.
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:03:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:00:04 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

What is your standard for truth?

What does that even mean? "Standard for truth"? That question is either downright dumb (and I don't think it is) or semantically clumsy.

Standard for truth? Things which are not factually inaccurate.

Or are you asking the standard of evidence (as in, beyond a reasonable doubt)?

If the latter, I would think preponderance of evidence to be sufficient, though I'd have to know more about what type of argument we're talking about here.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
leonardlewis4
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:03:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:01:00 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:59:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

I think I'd rather buy something like... a few new shirts. lol

haha me too... though for actual proof that god exists for under $300.00 I might accept that deal. I could then write a few books and make that money back easily.

Yeah, that would be a great deal... Maybe with some investment, we could have a serious discussion.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:05:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:01:00 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:59:10 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:51:05 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:48:56 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:27:01 PM, leonardlewis4 wrote:



- Everyone knows God exists...some just suppress that knowledge. BTW: I can prove it.

Go ahead.

I think you are going to have to send 10 easy installments of 29.95 first.

I think I'd rather buy something like... a few new shirts. lol

haha me too... though for actual proof that god exists for under $300.00 I might accept that deal. I could then write a few books and make that money back easily.

Whenever religion is used as a means to wealth, I tend to get nervous... what's sad, though, is how easily people come to believe absurd things because they so desperately want too (like the KCA).
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:08:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/7/2013 11:03:16 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:57:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/7/2013 10:53:53 PM, YYW wrote:
The single biggest problem for Christians (and people of faith in a monastic god, generally) is the idea that there must be some sort of "proof" to justify their belief in God. The whole point of faith, however, is belief in the absence of verifiable evidence. Apologetic (who unceasingly put fourth terrible arguments for God's existence) come up with all sorts of syllogisms which 'derive' God's existence from morality, from existence of humans, etc. It's nonsense insomuch as their arguments fail in every respect to prove what they aspire to prove. The fundamental problem is the belief that God's existence requires proof or justification -which is absurd. By faith alone man is saved. By faith alone man accepts God. There is no other way.

Indeed. Provability of god would defeat the purpose. Though someone asserting on this site (which requires evidence and not just bold assertions) that god exists and that we should accept this fact should be able to make a reasonable case.

It would be my position that no case which aspired to "prove" the existence of God could be reasonable, but people will still try. It would also be my position that those who do fundamentally lack faith, so they default to reason in effort to overcome their own uncertainty and fear.

I'd agree with most of that. Though I don't know if I'd say it always shows a lack of faith. I think it's natural that anyone who has much faith would naturally want it to manifest intellectually and share that with others, and ultimately "prove" it to them. Though I also believe their time could be spent on far better, and realistic things.

But I think the best way to "convert" someone (if that's the ultimate goal) to a particular belief system is never through intellectual activity, but by setting an example of how that belief system makes them a better person.
Debate.org Moderator