Jump to topic:

A question about religon.

Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 10:28:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here we go. I have always wondered how someone can put faith in something that they have never seen before. I have tried myself but I just cannot commit to belief in the way others can. I wonder if there is something wrong with me as I have never really believed anything I have not seen proof of before. I would sincerely like to know how people put faith in something like religion.
Turn around, go back.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 10:32:14 AM
At 7/8/2013 10:28:06 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Here we go. I have always wondered how someone can put faith in something that they have never seen before. I have tried myself but I just cannot commit to belief in the way others can. I wonder if there is something wrong with me as I have never really believed anything I have not seen proof of before. I would sincerely like to know how people put faith in something like religion.

What have you seen proof for?
This space for rent.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 10:37:07 AM
At 7/8/2013 10:32:14 AM, v3nesl wrote:

Things I believe in which is not much, such as my beliefs on humankind and society.
Turn around, go back.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 11:07:39 AM
At 7/8/2013 10:37:07 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
Things I believe in which is not much, such as my beliefs on humankind and society.

If you want serious answers, I think you should probably clarify that statement about your beliefs. There is a whole slew of inconsistencies in saying you only believe what you see with your eyes. Especially when you're referring to "humankind and society".
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 11:07:53 AM
Here we go. I have always wondered how someone can put faith in something that they have never seen before. I have tried myself but I just cannot commit to belief in the way others can. I wonder if there is something wrong with me as I have never really believed anything I have not seen proof of before. I would sincerely like to know how people put faith in something like religion

The sand beneath my feet, the blue sky and the storm clouds, the beauty and colour of the flowers, the majesty of the eagle in flight, the grandeur of the mountains, the sublime beauty of birth, the savagery of life, the warmth of a baby on my chest, the smile of a child, the twinkle in the eyes of two who have loved for many decades, the care of nurses, the dedication of teachers, the love of a mother...............there is much much more and not a single god in sight.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 11:23:22 AM
At 7/8/2013 11:07:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
Here we go. I have always wondered how someone can put faith in something that they have never seen before. I have tried myself but I just cannot commit to belief in the way others can. I wonder if there is something wrong with me as I have never really believed anything I have not seen proof of before. I would sincerely like to know how people put faith in something like religion

The sand beneath my feet, the blue sky and the storm clouds, the beauty and colour of the flowers, the majesty of the eagle in flight, the grandeur of the mountains, the sublime beauty of birth, the savagery of life, the warmth of a baby on my chest, the smile of a child, the twinkle in the eyes of two who have loved for many decades, the care of nurses, the dedication of teachers, the love of a mother...............there is much much more and not a single god in sight.

That was never my question. I truly wished this thread would not go down this road, but its invertible. My question was how to people put faith in religion and religion only. I care little for sweeping statements on what I put faith in or believe. I am asking how religious believers put faith in God when they have no idea he exists of not. That is my question now someone please give me a real answer
Turn around, go back.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 11:24:13 AM
At 7/8/2013 11:07:39 AM, Naysayer wrote:
At 7/8/2013 10:37:07 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:

If you want serious answers, I think you should probably clarify that statement about your beliefs. There is a whole slew of inconsistencies in saying you only believe what you see with your eyes. Especially when you're referring to "humankind and society".

That is all I believe in. I have no religion so I am asking about others beliefs.
Turn around, go back.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 12:43:50 PM
At 7/8/2013 11:24:13 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
That is all I believe in. I have no religion so I am asking about others beliefs.

Alright. Where is Antarctica? How many planets are in the solar system? Were your parents ever born? Did dinosaurs ever walk the earth?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:03:45 PM
We haven't seen, but we still know. if there was no Creator we wouldn't be.

We know with our reasoning, it's like seeing with eyes or more.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 1:07:21 PM
How do you put faith in things like Laws of Physics and Gravity? You can't directly observe why either of these things happen, but you know they are true regardless.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 2:04:51 PM
At 7/8/2013 1:03:45 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
We haven't seen, but we still know. if there was no Creator we wouldn't be.

We know with our reasoning, it's like seeing with eyes or more.

Finally someone's given an answer to the question. I wanted to know what other people believe, not questioning my own beliefs. Maybe I should clarify my questions better next time. These threads have a bad habit of going dangerously off topic.
Turn around, go back.
Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 9:40:06 PM
I suppose it just is what makes sense to those people. It's like those more esoteric scientific theories, like the current atomic theory. People who are well educated on the subject tell you that all things are made of a core made of this "charged" thing, surrounded by a cloud of smaller oppositely "charged" things which are pulled toward the center, and yet don't actually get any closer, and don't have a real orbit like the planets but move around in a vaguely defined cloud area. This is what all things actually are.

This is sort of hard to wrap your head around it when you first hear it yes? It doesn't exactly sound like anything you've seen before, but it seems to make sense with what you do see. The magnetic charge thing explains why balloons stick together when you rub it on your shirt, bonding explains how two different things can come together to make some new thing, and a whole lot of other stuff. You don't have specific firsthand experience to say this is any more true than anything else, but you believe it because it provides an answer to most of your questions.

I think people believe in God because it makes better sense to them than current incomplete theories. While we know a lot about the universe, there's still things we haven't gotten yet, large mysteries that many people can't even begin to think of an answer to. How could a universe suddenly just appear? How could it have just always been when nothing we see today exists without a cause? How could life just start without a parent? Religious people see God as an answer to these questions that otherwise seem unanswerable, and when faced with the choice of "Its this thing that's hard to prove but could work" and "There's no answer I can think of, this is impossible", they go with the answer that doesn't involve saying that the universe as we know it shouldn't exist, because it does, so that makes little sense.

This is at least what I assume. Everyone will have their own reasons and personally I am not one who believes in a Creator. But I respect their opinions and am in no position to try and tell them they are wrong, especially when I can't offer them an alternate view of what is right.