Jump to topic:

A Pope Question...

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 9:33:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I vaguely remember a story I heard once about a Pope who was a layman. A dove landed on him, or something along those lines?

It may be utterly not-a-thing, but I feel like I heard it as a story from a vaguely legit source. I just can't find anything on it now.

So, to the Cat'lics or knowledgeable Proddies out there, am I crazy or is that an at-least-apocryphal story?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 9:51:22 PM
At 7/12/2013 9:33:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I vaguely remember a story I heard once about a Pope who was a layman. A dove landed on him, or something along those lines?

It may be utterly not-a-thing, but I feel like I heard it as a story from a vaguely legit source. I just can't find anything on it now.

So, to the Cat'lics or knowledgeable Proddies out there, am I crazy or is that an at-least-apocryphal story?

Not sure about whom the story refers to, but any Catholic male (sigh) who has never left the Church can be elected Pope. If he is not ordained then he can receive the orders of deacon, priest, and bishop in quick succession before becoming Pope. Not likely to happen nowadays, though.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 10:16:41 PM
At 7/12/2013 9:51:22 PM, rockwater wrote:
At 7/12/2013 9:33:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Not sure about whom the story refers to, but any Catholic male (sigh) who has never left the Church can be elected Pope. If he is not ordained then he can receive the orders of deacon, priest, and bishop in quick succession before becoming Pope. Not likely to happen nowadays, though.

Definitely. (I was raised Catholic; much like how in the US mothers say "You could grow up to be president!", I was told on an occasion or two that "You could grow up to be pope".

Like I said, I might be accidentally making the story up, I just figured with the wealth of religious folks on here, someone might know.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 10:19:19 AM
At 7/13/2013 5:44:02 AM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
Pope St. Fabian?

Yes! Thanks ExsurgeDomine!