help me get my point across!!!!!!!!

brooke_bowen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:01:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
In my debate http://www.Debate.org.../
i completely sugest the following but everybody has there own oppinon which is nothing wrong with
feel free to say what you believe
thank you
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...

I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 3:09:01 PM
At 12/8/2009 2:01:08 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
In my debate http://www.Debate.org.../
i completely sugest the following but everybody has there own oppinon which is nothing wrong with
feel free to say what you believe
thank you

I think the only real argument you have put forward is that the specific catholic religious rules you quote seem irrelevant or strange to you. What I would do is flesh out the arguments to show that their is harm in the opposing views.

For example you say,

first off they say no masturbation so when a little boy starts puberty,that means he cant touch him self you have to control the urges you have from touching your penis.

I would say, religious restrictions against Masturbation are unrealistic. Studies show that the majority of the adolescent and adult male population engage in maturbation as well as a significant section of the female population. (I don't know if thats true, you might want to find a link). Religious restrictions against masturbation therefore runs counter to normal human psycho-biology, and may even harm someone's psycho-sexual development.

You could then go onto to quote someone such as the former surgeon-general who basically said that there was no physical harm in masterbation (which is apparently why they fired her, hence the euphenism firing the surgeon general).

However the weakness of this argument is that it only applies to certain religions, or rather specific groups within a religion. How catholics tell their kids not to masterbate? Is it an issue for liberal protestants?

There are so many arguments you can employ, such as arguing that children need to be given time to develop their ability to think critically, that teaching them religion from a young age is harmful brainwashing.

You could argue that religion is in itself harmful, and though adults may be free to smoke or drink we can't allow children to similarly hurt themselves.

Ultimately it is a hard debate to fight, because you are arguing to deny people two basic rights, the right to practice their religion, and the right to raise their children with the principles and morals and beliefs of their parents.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brooke_bowen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 2:54:38 PM
i still feel that i am right about this

So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:02:00 PM
At 12/9/2009 2:54:38 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:

As do I, but I think your opponent prolly does too. :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brooke_bowen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:15:02 PM
it really should be on the childs age afther a certain age

Tupac Shakur
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 2:41:49 AM
At 12/9/2009 2:54:38 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:

Well yes but you need to come up with arguments as universal as possible and adress the ramifications of your arguments.

So it is not hard to poo-poo Catholic dogma, it is therefore not much of a stretch to query whether children should be 'indocrinated' in it. But your opponent can counter that you are violating the rights of parenthood and the freedom of religion, which you are.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.