Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

tattoos bad for christians?

brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:06:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
i am a christian and i do have "body art" on my self and i was wondering if people think that this is bad idea honelstly i do not think that there is anything wrong with it though
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:08:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have seen plenty of Christians who have tattoos so no, I don't think it's a problem. I'm not Christian though so you'll be better off having an actual Christian answer.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:09:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:28

Of course it depends what type of Christian you are, and if you still treat defunct tribal law as relevant.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:11:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version)
28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

'Nuff said. I hope you realize you're going to hell now. Sorry.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:13:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
More Christians than I thought are sinning then since I have seen quite a few Christians with tattoos. Figures. They hardly follow their scriptures anyway.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:14:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:13:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
More Christians than I thought are sinning then since I have seen quite a few Christians with tattoos. Figures. They hardly follow their scriptures anyway.

It's Leviticus, it really doesn't count for Christians. :P
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:25:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:14:56 PM, Puck wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:13:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
More Christians than I thought are sinning then since I have seen quite a few Christians with tattoos. Figures. They hardly follow their scriptures anyway.

It's Leviticus, it really doesn't count for Christians. :P

Lol yeah they like to pretend that particular word of God doesn't exist.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:27:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:25:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:14:56 PM, Puck wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:13:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
More Christians than I thought are sinning then since I have seen quite a few Christians with tattoos. Figures. They hardly follow their scriptures anyway.

It's Leviticus, it really doesn't count for Christians. :P

Lol yeah they like to pretend that particular word of God doesn't exist.

Exactly. If they don't like a particular thing in the Bible they just disregard it completely. Scriptures were intended to be followed fully. It's stated in the Qur'an several times that one isn't a Muslim unless they follow the scriptures in full.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:27:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:25:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:14:56 PM, Puck wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:13:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
More Christians than I thought are sinning then since I have seen quite a few Christians with tattoos. Figures. They hardly follow their scriptures anyway.

It's Leviticus, it really doesn't count for Christians. :P

Lol yeah they like to pretend that particular word of God doesn't exist.

There are quite a few things that seem to be up for interpretation. I'm guessing that whole "Messiah" thing will be the next to go.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:27:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You're all taking the Bible out of context. I know I'm a little unorthodox, but the original reason for not defacing your body with tattoos was because tattoos use to be (and still are in some places) a sign of religious affiliation. It was normally some type of religious rite that brought one closer to his/her god(s). Today, that is generally not the case and sot he "defacing" of the skin isn't necesarily a sin.

Now if you say this to a Catholic he'll probably call you a heretic.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:29:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:27:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
You're all taking the Bible out of context. I know I'm a little unorthodox, but the original reason for not defacing your body with tattoos was because tattoos use to be (and still are in some places) a sign of religious affiliation. It was normally some type of religious rite that brought one closer to his/her god(s). Today, that is generally not the case and sot he "defacing" of the skin isn't necesarily a sin.

Now if you say this to a Catholic he'll probably call you a heretic.

That's a reasonable explanation. What about circumcision though? And what was the reasoning against cutting apart dead bodies?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 2:35:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:29:00 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:27:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
You're all taking the Bible out of context. I know I'm a little unorthodox, but the original reason for not defacing your body with tattoos was because tattoos use to be (and still are in some places) a sign of religious affiliation. It was normally some type of religious rite that brought one closer to his/her god(s). Today, that is generally not the case and sot he "defacing" of the skin isn't necesarily a sin.

Now if you say this to a Catholic he'll probably call you a heretic.

That's a reasonable explanation. What about circumcision though? And what was the reasoning against cutting apart dead bodies?

I believe the circumcision was simply a way to distinguish themselves from the other religions. Lame explanation, I know.

Cutting apart dead bodies, I believe that was because they thought by defiling the body they would defile the soul and damn the person to hell. They held on to many local superstitions and the common belief at the time was that body and soul were interconnected. So by cutting up the body you were in turn "cutting up" the soul.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 3:55:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:27:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:25:01 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:14:56 PM, Puck wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:13:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
More Christians than I thought are sinning then since I have seen quite a few Christians with tattoos. Figures. They hardly follow their scriptures anyway.

It's Leviticus, it really doesn't count for Christians. :P

Lol yeah they like to pretend that particular word of God doesn't exist.

Exactly. If they don't like a particular thing in the Bible they just disregard it completely. Scriptures were intended to be followed fully. It's stated in the Qur'an several times that one isn't a Muslim unless they follow the scriptures in full.

As Islamic theology/history holds that the koran is incomplete then they are screwed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 3:58:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:35:36 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
I believe the circumcision was simply a way to distinguish themselves from the other religions. Lame explanation, I know.

Cutting apart dead bodies, I believe that was because they thought by defiling the body they would defile the soul and damn the person to hell. They held on to many local superstitions and the common belief at the time was that body and soul were interconnected. So by cutting up the body you were in turn "cutting up" the soul.

But...wouldn't a part of the soul be allocated to the foreskin O.O?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 4:35:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 3:58:03 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 12/8/2009 2:35:36 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
I believe the circumcision was simply a way to distinguish themselves from the other religions. Lame explanation, I know.

Cutting apart dead bodies, I believe that was because they thought by defiling the body they would defile the soul and damn the person to hell. They held on to many local superstitions and the common belief at the time was that body and soul were interconnected. So by cutting up the body you were in turn "cutting up" the soul.

But...wouldn't a part of the soul be allocated to the foreskin O.O?

Exactly, it doesn't make sense. The soul/body thing was based more off of previous, local superstition than the Bible. I think the Bible might've actually been changed early on by the Church to include this somewhere in Paul.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2009 4:37:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I know Christians that tattoo bible verses to themselves.

I find tattoos unatttractive, personally, but I don't think God is going to damn anybody for it.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:23:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
i was just trying to get other peoples oppinions honestly people should not care about what others do
"it is your body! express it how you feel"
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:28:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I am a highly unconventional Christian. Quite liberal in Christian interpretation, but still attempt to maintain my faith.

Agreed with wjm. Tatoos don't appeal to me. When I think about getting old and having my skin wrinkle, a tatoo on my body would look disgusting. However, I'm still attracted to some girls who have certain tatoos in certain places. I also like how some girls still wear tongue rings ;)
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:32:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2009 2:27:38 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:


Now if you say this to a Catholic he'll probably call you a heretic.

I doubt that in most cases, Catholics are generally fairly loose with their interps (even if the Cath. Church isn't)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:43:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There were several things stated in the Bible that were either misinterpreted or, good for the time being. For instance wearing clothes of mixed fabrics, I don't think that's much of a problem now. As for "desecration of the body" I find that more linked to things such as Smoking, self abuse, etc. An example of why things may change, before the flood, God didn't want to us to eat animals, however after the flood, and as people progressed he changed that and allowed us to. Now, this is just a theory but i imagine this is simply because it was for the well being of people, before we knew what we were doing it was very easy to get sick from eating animals, however as we progressed we learned how to do different things and prepare food in a safer manner. That again however, is just a theory.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:08:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/8/2009 2:06:33 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
i am a christian and i do have "body art" on my self and i was wondering if people think that this is bad idea honelstly i do not think that there is anything wrong with it though

The Bible says your body is the spirit's temple, so you should treat your body well and look after your body with dignaty and respect. Tattoos aren't the worst, as there are things like drugs. Idealy though, I personally wouldn't get a tattoo as a Christian. They draw people to lust after the flesh, in some cases.