Jump to topic:

Rachael Slick, the atheist daugther

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2013 5:14:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I read this article, about Rachael Slich, the atheist daughter of Matt Slick, earlier. It's quite an interesting read, and an eyeopener about Matt Slick.

http://www.patheos.com...
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 4:33:56 AM
At 7/15/2013 7:43:14 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
What's so eye opening about him in this article?

I found the fact that he beat her with a leather strap fairly eye opening.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 4:36:18 AM
Not really eye-opening, but sorta interesting. I've always said that Matt Slick is nothing but a smatterer who appeals to the least-knowledgeable "Christians". His arguments on certain passages are ridiculously shallow, and occasionally self-contradictory.

Mr. Slick is a proponent of the silly doctrine of eternal security. (Surprise!) This means that if Rachel died at this moment, as an atheist, Mr. Slick would have to assert that she was never saved to start with! If she lives on and returns to Christianity, he'll have to say she was not lost while she was an atheist! No wonder she left - and sadly she's not much worse off now than she ever was.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 4:43:29 AM
At 7/16/2013 4:36:18 AM, annanicole wrote:
Not really eye-opening, but sorta interesting.

Am I the only one that finds his treatment of his children eye opening? He beat her fairly frequently, by the sound of it. I mean, I knew he was old school, but he just didn't strike me as that kinda guy.

I've always said that Matt Slick is nothing but a smatterer who appeals to the least-knowledgeable "Christians". His arguments on certain passages are ridiculously shallow, and occasionally self-contradictory.

Mr. Slick is a proponent of the silly doctrine of eternal security. (Surprise!) This means that if Rachel died at this moment, as an atheist, Mr. Slick would have to assert that she was never saved to start with! If she lives on and returns to Christianity, he'll have to say she was not lost while she was an atheist! No wonder she left - and sadly she's not much worse off now than she ever was.

v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 7:29:26 AM
At 7/16/2013 4:36:18 AM, annanicole wrote:
Not really eye-opening, but sorta interesting. I've always said that Matt Slick is nothing but a smatterer who appeals to the least-knowledgeable "Christians". His arguments on certain passages are ridiculously shallow, and occasionally self-contradictory.

Mr. Slick is a proponent of the silly doctrine of eternal security. (Surprise!) This means that if Rachel died at this moment, as an atheist, Mr. Slick would have to assert that she was never saved to start with! If she lives on and returns to Christianity, he'll have to say she was not lost while she was an atheist!

Or he could assert she's confused and still a Christian. Or, sure, she never believed in the first place, that sounds quite feasible in such a structured environment. Life is full of mystery, and those on either side who want to have it all cut and dried are guaranteed to be wrong.

Hey, the doctrine of eternal security is really just the doctrine of present salvation. Those who don't accept this doctrine don't believe you can really be saved until after you're safely dead. I mean, you might turn atheist, right, so you ain't safe yet. I probably turn atheist at least once a year, until I can sit myself down and review the facts.

But I must say, when I say the title my first thought was of Grace Slick's daughter, humbly named 'God'
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 7:36:16 AM
I would say to Rachael, btw, if she ever asked - "You only know half of freedom right now. There are two sides to the freedom coin: Absence of restraint, and ability. It does no good to tell a person in a wheelchair he is free to walk, he doesn't have the ability. So, you have come to know freedom from restraint, and you love it. But without the ability, without the connection to the source of life, you still lose it all, so that your current freedom is just a momentary anomaly. You're running on battery right now, and if you don't get plugged in, you eventually start running down, and it's no fun. And then eventually you're dead."
This space for rent.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 7:47:44 AM
At 7/16/2013 7:36:16 AM, v3nesl wrote:
I would say to Rachael, btw, if she ever asked - "You only know half of freedom right now. There are two sides to the freedom coin: Absence of restraint, and ability. It does no good to tell a person in a wheelchair he is free to walk, he doesn't have the ability. So, you have come to know freedom from restraint, and you love it. But without the ability, without the connection to the source of life, you still lose it all, so that your current freedom is just a momentary anomaly. You're running on battery right now, and if you don't get plugged in, you eventually start running down, and it's no fun. And then eventually you're dead."

What is the source of life that you speak of?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 7:51:16 AM
And then eventually you're dead."And then eventually you're dead."
And then eventually you're dead."
And then eventually you're dead."
There ya go.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:08:10 AM
At 7/15/2013 5:14:52 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I read this article, about Rachael Slich, the atheist daughter of Matt Slick, earlier. It's quite an interesting read, and an eyeopener about Matt Slick.

Regardless of the context, I always find it amusing when a bitter, rebellious child to their parents' methods comes out and gives a "shocking" tell all and the media eats it right up. I don't know the man, but it's not really a surprise that he might have made some mistakes.

There's always this layer of smarmy disdain layering the entire conversation. If this wasn't in the realm of religion, what the man did with his child and training her in any other discipline would be applauded for starting so young and being so effective.

I also would like to point out that the Bible says to train up your child in the way they should go and when they are old, they won't depart from it. The man trained his daughter to be argumentative and question everything. It's not really a surprise that she does just that.

This story is not yet over. You're taking an isolated moment from a person's life and using it to prove what exactly?

Not really sure what eternal security has to do with this, but you're absolutely right about the belt. Disgusting. The Bible says use a rod. And those that don't do that hate their children.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:24:26 AM
I've now read her essay and it will never even impact on most of the religious, it will for some as it has for many already without that knowledge. We, the informed, have discovered what she has on our own, just as she did.
The stories of your god make your god impossible to exist, but of course you will never UNDERSTAND that. Oh dear.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:41:38 AM
At 7/16/2013 8:08:10 AM, Naysayer wrote:

Regardless of the context, I always find it amusing when a bitter, rebellious child to their parents' methods comes out and gives a "shocking" tell all and the media eats it right up. I don't know the man, but it's not really a surprise that he might have made some mistakes.

There's always this layer of smarmy disdain layering the entire conversation. If this wasn't in the realm of religion, what the man did with his child and training her in any other discipline would be applauded for starting so young and being so effective.

I also would like to point out that the Bible says to train up your child in the way they should go and when they are old, they won't depart from it. The man trained his daughter to be argumentative and question everything. It's not really a surprise that she does just that.

This story is not yet over. You're taking an isolated moment from a person's life and using it to prove what exactly?

Not really sure what eternal security has to do with this, but you're absolutely right about the belt. Disgusting. The Bible says use a rod. And those that don't do that hate their children.

You realize that part of her bitterness is probably related to the belt thing, right? And this amuses you?
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:54:53 AM
At 7/16/2013 7:47:44 AM, muzebreak wrote:

God is the source of life. I love a common imagery throughout the Bible, that there is this artesian spring coming from God's throne that becomes a widening river as it flows. And Jesus said we could have that spring within ourselves. To put it in information theory terms, God is the source of infinite entropy, the one who creates 'interesting' from sameness.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:58:33 AM
At 7/16/2013 8:24:26 AM, bulproof wrote:
I've now read her essay and it will never even impact on most of the religious, it will for some as it has for many already without that knowledge. We, the informed, have discovered what she has on our own, just as she did.
The stories of your god make your god impossible to exist, but of course you will never UNDERSTAND that. Oh dear.

Well, the thing is, lots of people have done her thing, then eventually moved on to a mature faith from there. I don't quite see the point of celebrating arrested development.

I do relate to her horror at her crisis of faith. It rings true to me. But, since when is "I don't believe squat now" the correct response to "shoot, I was told some bogus stuff" - ?
This space for rent.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:00:59 AM

Does that tell you something?? I doubt it.
You saw that essay as "rebellious and bitter", you are seriously deluded by the indoctrination you have been exposed to and haven't had either the intellect or the courage to escape. More pity you.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:21:38 AM
At 7/16/2013 9:00:59 AM, bulproof wrote:
You saw that essay as "rebellious and bitter", you are seriously deluded by the indoctrination you have been exposed to and haven't had either the intellect or the courage to escape. More pity you.

Yeah, I'm not sure I saw that either, but I didn't read too carefully.

But it did remind me of Solomon: "Remember your creator while you're young, because the days are coming when your natural life is no fun at all" The freedom she feels is an illusion, I'm afraid, that brief moment between the frying pan and the fire. (and no, I don't mean hell, just life)
This space for rent.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:37:01 AM

Yes, there is an issue implicit, in the teachings that he taught. Now, I don't know about others, but my main issue is his treatment of his children; as though they were soldiers, to be trained, and not children to be raised. It truly disturbed me to hear that a lack of immediate obedience would result in a 15-20 minute beating, and that he would show off his hard wrought obedience, to anyone who cared to see. This behavior of his, shows a complete lack of remorse for violence committed against a child, in fact it shows pride. Did you see the journal entry from when she was very young? A child of that age should not be so mentally distraught. The way he raised her was despicable, and the religion was simply an aid in that. I have no problem with parents raising their child in a religious manner. But I do have a problem with parents who raise their child in a manner similar to Matt Slick.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:41:28 AM
At 7/16/2013 8:54:53 AM, v3nesl wrote:

God is the source of life. I love a common imagery throughout the Bible, that there is this artesian spring coming from God's throne that becomes a widening river as it flows. And Jesus said we could have that spring within ourselves. To put it in information theory terms, God is the source of infinite entropy, the one who creates 'interesting' from sameness.

Ahhh, now, there we have it. I believe I can give you an answer, similar to what she might say.

I believe she would tell you that your words, while appearing sweet, are presuppossitional, in that they presume the truth of your dogma. They are only sensical to those who already believe as you do. To those who do not, they are words empty of meaning.

v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:57:12 AM
At 7/16/2013 9:41:28 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Ahhh, now, there we have it. I believe I can give you an answer, similar to what she might say.

I believe she would tell you that your words, while appearing sweet, are presuppossitional, in that they presume the truth of your dogma. They are only sensical to those who already believe as you do. To those who do not, they are words empty of meaning.

Well, not quite. 'Meaning' is not the problem, the factual basis is the issue. Living forever is a plenty clear concept, I doubt it's meaningless to anybody. And if the words are sweet, is that not evidence of something? Can it be that humans really have simply made up stories so much better than real life? What a profound tragedy that would be, to have divine imagination, but only an animal's body, nothing more.

So, "No, sister, you're not free yet. Take what time you need to clear your mind and heart, but remember that you've still got a journey ahead of you"
This space for rent.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:06:18 AM

I daresay that's a good thing.

At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:10:52 AM
At 7/16/2013 9:57:12 AM, v3nesl wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:41:28 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Well, not quite. 'Meaning' is not the problem, the factual basis is the issue. Living forever is a plenty clear concept, I doubt it's meaningless to anybody.

Your way of attaining is meaningless to me and many, and the majority of the population of earth.

And if the words are sweet, is that not evidence of something?

I said they appear sweet, but when one attempts to digest them, they find them lacking. To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper, your words are hollow succor, to one bereft of religion.

Can it be that humans really have simply made up stories so much better than real life?

They do it all the time. That's what fiction is.

What a profound tragedy that would be, to have divine imagination, but only an animal's body, nothing more.

That is the outlook of a man who believes that more is possible. I prefer to think of it is a gift, that we have said imagination. For if I did not, my life would be so much less enjoyable.

So, "No, sister, you're not free yet. Take what time you need to clear your mind and heart, but remember that you've still got a journey ahead of you"

There is indeed a journey ahead of her, as there is with all of us. That journey could lead anywhere. You may become an atheist, I may become a preacher of gospel. We never know where life will take us, we can only follow where it leads. But, know this, she feels she is free, and that is more than many people have. Why attempt to bereave her of that?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:37:12 AM
At 7/16/2013 4:33:56 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 7/15/2013 7:43:14 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
What's so eye opening about him in this article?

I found the fact that he beat her with a leather strap fairly eye opening.

He's a Christian, what do you expect? They beat there kids, hate women, hate gays, and get sexual pleasure off of telling Atheists they are going to hell.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:47:43 AM
At 7/16/2013 10:10:52 AM, muzebreak wrote:

There is indeed a journey ahead of her, as there is with all of us. That journey could lead anywhere. You may become an atheist, I may become a preacher of gospel. We never know where life will take us, we can only follow where it leads. But, know this, she feels she is free, and that is more than many people have. Why attempt to bereave her of that?

But you do realize - by your lights, life doesn't "lead" anywhere. You just die, that's all, that's the bottom line. So your imagination is just an opiate to you, something that produces a feeling, a feeling that has no basis in reality.

And if you're right, sure, let her feel whatever she wants. Let her hasten the end with the bliss of heroin, for that matter. On the other hand, if you're right, the pain of fearing hell doesn't matter either, it's all completely pointless (as again, Solomon pointed out).

I choose to believe that my sense of meaning is real. I may be in error in understanding that meaning, of course, but to embrace any worldview that renders life meaningless is, to me, a form of intellectual suicide, a denial of my innate humanity.
This space for rent.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 11:13:23 AM
At 7/16/2013 8:41:38 AM, drafterman wrote:
You realize that part of her bitterness is probably related to the belt thing, right? And this amuses you?

Where'd you learn how to read?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 11:22:48 AM
At 7/16/2013 11:13:23 AM, Naysayer wrote:

This doesn't answer my question.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 11:53:31 AM
At 7/16/2013 11:22:48 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/16/2013 11:13:23 AM, Naysayer wrote:

This doesn't answer my question.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth. That's not at all what I said.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 12:09:48 PM
At 7/16/2013 9:21:38 AM, v3nesl wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:00:59 AM, bulproof wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure I saw that either, but I didn't read too carefully.

But it did remind me of Solomon: "Remember your creator while you're young, because the days are coming when your natural life is no fun at all" The freedom she feels is an illusion, I'm afraid, that brief moment between the frying pan and the fire. (and no, I don't mean hell, just life)

It always comes back to the boogyman god doesn't it?
How utterly pathetic.If your god is such a badarse why the fvck do you want to spend eternity with it? Are you all MASOCHISTS?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 12:17:10 PM

Regardless of the context, I always find it amusing when a bitter, rebellious child to their parents' methods comes out and gives a "shocking" tell all and the media eats it right up.

Did you, or did you not say this?