Jump to topic:

Papa: indulgences offered via Twitter!

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 6:23:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Attention, Dogknox - and all others who pay attention to the rumblings of the Vatican:

Headline: "One hell of a deal: Pope Francis offers reduced time in Purgatory for Catholics that follow him on Twitter"

Byline: Court in charge of forgiveness of sins says those that follow upcoming event via social media will be granted indulgences

Story: "Salvation " or at least a shorter stay in Purgatory " might now be only a tweet away with news that Pope Francis is to offer "indulgences" " remissions for temporary punishment " to the faithful who follow him on the social media site.

Around 1.5 million are expected to flock to Rio de Janeiro to celebrate World Youth Day with the Argentine pontiff later this month. But for those who can"t make it to Brazil, forgiveness may be available to contrite sinners who follow Francis"s progress via their TV screen or social networks.

The Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican court that rules on the forgiveness of sins, has said that indulgences may be given to those who follow the "rites and pious exercises" of the event on television, radio and through social media.

The Penitentiary said that Pope Francis' Twitter account, which has already gathered seven million followers, would be one such medium."

Complete story: http://www.independent.co.uk...
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:21:44 PM
Well, Peter was given the power to bind and loose on earth as well as in heaven. As the story goes, Peter then passed on his "pope-ship" to someone else that is arbitrarily named Linus. Not much is known of Linus, except that he had to be the 2nd bishop of Rome. Why? Because someone said he was! Anyway, this same power was passed on and on and on, right on down to Francis.

Have you seen his tweets? I looked at them. They are gems of profound thought! They are evidence of the special insight that only a pope could have! Here's one:

"A Christian is never bored or sad. Rather, the one who loves Christ is full of joy and radiates joy."

Of course that's not true at all. Christians are saddened all the time for a variety of reasons, but, hey, when you're papa, a little leniency is permitted.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:25:09 PM
Have to admit, some of my Catholic knowledge is a bit rusty...but part of what they say is that you have to have already confessed properly. Thought that already took care of it...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:39:18 PM
Also, the statement doesn't seem to specify what KIND of indulgence...is this a complete indulgence or one of those seven-years jobs like walking up those stairs gets?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:41:03 PM
At 7/17/2013 10:39:18 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Also, the statement doesn't seem to specify what KIND of indulgence...is this a complete indulgence or one of those seven-years jobs like walking up those stairs gets?

"Buy your way into heaven!"

...perhaps a slogan best suited for a brothel.
Tsar of DDO
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:41:51 PM
The whore church strikes again, the book of Revelation is Right as usual.
And Torah/Law points out sin, like do not eat bacon and squid. Don't worship on Sunday and not Shabbat, Saturday. Don't pull weeds on the Shabbat (Sat.) Don't be foolish and hate YHWH? by saying His Law is not to be followed. Soi turn from these sins. That's the way Meechie. You keep preaching that the Law is to be followed and souls will turn to the Living Torah (Jesus). That is what you are doing, right? It better be, You don;t want to turn people from the commands. The book of Matthew
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:43:26 PM
At 7/17/2013 10:41:51 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
The whore church strikes again,

lol I just said that.
Tsar of DDO
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:45:14 PM
"Have to admit, some of my Catholic knowledge is a bit rusty...but part of what they say is that you have to have already confessed properly. Thought that already took care of it..."

I did too. Maybe following along on Twitter procures some additional indulgence. I'm not quite sure how it all works.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:49:46 PM
At 7/17/2013 10:43:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/17/2013 10:41:51 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
The whore church strikes again,

lol I just said that.
Well I did not read your post at first, sorry, I have posted over 70 posts on various forums tonight alone, I got tunnel vision. I am looking for Israelite Sheep, seekers of the Messiah, let me know if you see any..
We must be in the minority, people love the devil church. Not us, good.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:52:46 PM
At 7/17/2013 10:45:14 PM, annanicole wrote:
"Have to admit, some of my Catholic knowledge is a bit rusty...but part of what they say is that you have to have already confessed properly. Thought that already took care of it..."

I did too. Maybe following along on Twitter procures some additional indulgence. I'm not quite sure how it all works.

Had to re-look it up. I think it's that the catholics teach that there is spiritual and temporal harm; spiritual harm just needs a (to simplify) sincere "I'm sorry", while temporal harm must be accounted for. I guess. Which I suppose is why they give you things to do in confession, like saying Hail Marys...but that brings me back to wondering, if you've done your penance, what the indulgence does. Perhaps Dognox will enlighten us.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:14:07 PM
At 7/17/2013 10:52:46 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Had to re-look it up. I think it's that the catholics teach that there is spiritual and temporal harm; spiritual harm just needs a (to simplify) sincere "I'm sorry", while temporal harm must be accounted for. I guess. Which I suppose is why they give you things to do in confession, like saying Hail Marys...but that brings me back to wondering, if you've done your penance, what the indulgence does. Perhaps Dognox will enlighten us.

Sure He will. Right after He removes His brain from His skull, wrings the blood of Yahushua out of it like a sponge, shoves it back in His Cranium and repents. Ya sure, that will happen soon.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:18:13 PM

bladerunner060 A fair question..
It is easy to understand in steps..FIRST.... Martin Luther nailed his Ninety Five (95) Theses to the door of the Church complaining that "INDULGENCES were being ABUSED"!
He was NOT rejecting them, but defending the teaching, wanting them to be properly USED!!!

SO what is an INDULGENCE!?
It is PAYING for the wrong.. (In a nut shell!)

Sin is removed by Repentance... But the WRONG the sin caused must be repaired!

SIMPLE Explanation... You brake your neighbors window! You say to the neighbor, "you are sorry".. The neighbor forgive you: YES!!! But you still need to fix the window!!!

Sin is removed by repentance... The stain the sin caused must be PURGED away!!
Scriptures...
1 John 5:16
If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that.

bladerunner060 QUESTION from the verse above "What should you do if you see another Christian SIN?" (Brother or Sister)

What you do for another is called an INDULGENCE!
Your Brother or Sister (Christians) die with a sin that does NOT KILL their soul..a sin that does not lead to death!! They do not go to heaven because NO SIN is allowed into heaven.. NONE, ZERO sin is allowed!
They do NOT go to Satan because they have not committed a sin that leads to death! They MUST be SANCTIFY, they must be cleansed of the sin before they can enter heaven!
bladerunner060 The Sin MUST be PURGED away!

The INDULGENCE is a way of helping these poor souls enter heaven!
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:20:51 PM
At 7/17/2013 11:18:13 PM, Dogknox wrote:

bladerunner060 A fair question..
It is easy to understand in steps..FIRST.... Martin Luther nailed his Ninety Five (95) Theses to the door of the Church complaining that "INDULGENCES were being ABUSED"!
He was NOT rejecting them, but defending the teaching, wanting them to be properly USED!!!

SO what is an INDULGENCE!?
It is PAYING for the wrong.. (In a nut shell!)

Sin is removed by Repentance... But the WRONG the sin caused must be repaired!

SIMPLE Explanation... You brake your neighbors window! You say to the neighbor, "you are sorry".. The neighbor forgive you: YES!!! But you still need to fix the window!!!

Sin is removed by repentance... The stain the sin caused must be PURGED away!!
Scriptures...
1 John 5:16
If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that.

bladerunner060 QUESTION from the verse above "What should you do if you see another Christian SIN?" (Brother or Sister)

What you do for another is called an INDULGENCE!
Your Brother or Sister (Christians) die with a sin that does NOT KILL their soul..a sin that does not lead to death!! They do not go to heaven because NO SIN is allowed into heaven.. NONE, ZERO sin is allowed!
They do NOT go to Satan because they have not committed a sin that leads to death! They MUST be SANCTIFY, they must be cleansed of the sin before they can enter heaven!
bladerunner060 The Sin MUST be PURGED away!

The INDULGENCE is a way of helping these poor souls enter heaven!

Sure He will. Right after He removes His brain from His skull, wrings the blood of Yahushua out of it like a sponge, shoves it back in His Cranium and repents. Ya sure, that will happen soon.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:25:43 PM
Dogknox, indulgences can be used for the living AND the dead; one can obtain an indulgence for themselves. Are you not admitting this to be the case?

And if one has obtained an indulgence for themself, but it only applies to something which they've confessed and (and, one presumes, already done penance for, since you're issued it at confession) as the declaration says, then what is the purpose of the indulgence? Is it only for when you've been given an annoying penance, but you can do THIS instead?
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:30:10 PM
At 7/17/2013 11:25:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Dogknox, indulgences can be used for the living AND the dead; one can obtain an indulgence for themselves. Are you not admitting this to be the case?

And if one has obtained an indulgence for themself, but it only applies to something which they've confessed and (and, one presumes, already done penance for, since you're issued it at confession) as the declaration says, then what is the purpose of the indulgence? Is it only for when you've been given an annoying penance, but you can do THIS instead?

I agree with my boy blade on the point He is trying to wring out of you Universalistic and twisted brain dogknox. Runner is a bit to intellectual for me, but I think He is saying you are stupid to follow some nut that calls himself holy and yet really is setting up the throne for the anti-messiah. Right blade? Maybe I ate to much melon tonight, duno.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:32:40 PM
At 7/17/2013 10:21:44 PM, annanicole wrote:
Well, Peter was given the power to bind and loose on earth as well as in heaven. As the story goes, Peter then passed on his "pope-ship" to someone else that is arbitrarily named Linus. Not much is known of Linus, except that he had to be the 2nd bishop of Rome. Why? Because someone said he was! Anyway, this same power was passed on and on and on, right on down to Francis.

Have you seen his tweets? I looked at them. They are gems of profound thought! They are evidence of the special insight that only a pope could have! Here's one:

"A Christian is never bored or sad. Rather, the one who loves Christ is full of joy and radiates joy."

Of course that's not true at all. Christians are saddened all the time for a variety of reasons, but, hey, when you're papa, a little leniency is permitted.

The hierarchy you describe may make a sense only if there is enough evidence for it like reported authentically ect, but if it's a statement of an unknown person then why should the believers trust it ?!Also, if that's how it should pass, then the pope is the one who should designate his successor, not a vote right ?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:33:10 PM
Sower, please remember that I'm an atheist. While I sometimes am argumentative on the subject of beliefs, I don't feel it necessary to be so all the time; sometimes I'm just genuinely interested in the thought process involved in certain beliefs.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:34:26 PM
At 7/17/2013 11:33:10 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Sower, please remember that I'm an atheist. While I sometimes am argumentative on the subject of beliefs, I don't feel it necessary to be so all the time; sometimes I'm just genuinely interested in the thought process involved in certain beliefs.
Okay I did have to much melon.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:37:34 PM
At 7/17/2013 11:32:40 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/17/2013 10:21:44 PM, annanicole wrote:

The hierarchy you describe may make a sense only if there is enough evidence for it like reported authentically ect, but if it's a statement of an unknown person then why should the believers trust it ?!Also, if that's how it should pass, then the pope is the one who should designate his successor, not a vote right ?

The followers trust it out of tradition (similar to certain belief systems that assert that X told Y told Z in order to justify their authenticity).

As to the Pope picking the next Pope, I think it's because they usually are Pope until they croak (and get hit with the Silver Hammer of Definitely Dead). If they picked pre-death, it would encourage murder, but also might be simply the wrong decision over time. I think they probably COULD, but while early Popes were chosen by their predecessor, after some problems cropped up the tradition became to have the Bishops do it after the death, and the Popes tacitly agree to this by not disagreeing with it and choosing their own successor.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:43:03 PM
Advice time...don't try to figure the cannables out.
Now does any body have a sense of Humor around here besides Masive d-mp?
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:47:17 PM

I ask for forgiveness in the Confessional "I am told my sins are forgiven" then I am given PENANCE by the Priest, I leave the confessional and do the Penance!
In history.. They were hard...

All penance include the REPAYMENT for the lost!!! Example repay for damages caused!
BUT..
But some sins cannot be payed by alms... So the Penance might be doing a good work or saying prayers!
If I do not do the Penance my sins are still removed but the Payment will still be made if not in this life then in the next!
All the stain must be PURGED before I enter heaven!
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:48:59 PM
At 7/17/2013 11:47:17 PM, Dogknox wrote:
Dogknox, indulgences can be used for the living AND the dead; one can

I agree with my boy blade on the point He is trying to wring out of you Universalistic and twisted brain dogknox. Runner is a bit to intellectual for me, but I think He is saying you are stupid to follow some nut that calls himself holy and yet really is setting up the throne for the anti-messiah. Right blade? Maybe I ate to much melon tonight, duno.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:51:21 PM

I ask for forgiveness in the Confessional "I am told my sins are forgiven" then I am given PENANCE by the Priest, I leave the confessional and do the Penance!

All penance include the REPAYMENT for the lost!!! Example repay for damages caused!
BUT..
But some sins cannot be payed by alms... So the Penance might be doing a good work or saying prayers!
If I do not do the Penance my sins are still removed but the Payment will still be made if not in this life then in the next!

That doesn't answer the question. You know that, right? Did you read the declaration from the penitentiary? (It was in Latin and Italian...I don't know if you know either)
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:52:05 PM

BUT..

If you do the same sin someone else did, do you still need to confess it to a human being or you can do the Penance you already know, and ask forgiveness form God on your own ??
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:56:20 PM
Look u 2, you all mess with Him day and night. Now YHWH's servant, needs to give Him another Scriptural lashing, You know I am not a forum hog, and even if I was, this is serious. Soul winning time, so please give me a little elbow room here. Thanks.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:57:18 PM
At 7/17/2013 11:52:05 PM, Fruitytree wrote:

BUT..

If you do the same sin someone else did, do you still need to confess it to a human being or you can do the Penance you already know, and ask forgiveness form God on your own ??

Well, in principle, if someone else did it, you probably don't know their specific penance. If you previously did it, and got a penance, you may not receive the same one this time round, so that doesn't work either.

I actually "get" confession, as in understand it; while in principle one can be penitential on ones own heart, and do a penance you think of, it's also just as possible that you'll just convince yourself you've done enough. Having to talk to an authority figure and be given tasks by them removes the subjective element, as long as the priest is doing it right. There's also a psychological benefit to having an authority tell you exactly what to do to not feel guilty (penitential =/= guilty feelings). I'm not defending it theologically (atheist, remember), but I "get" the reasoning.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:57:27 PM
The whore church strikes again, the book of Revelation is Right as usual.
And Torah/Law points out sin, like do not eat bacon and squid. Don't worship on Sunday and not Shabbat, Saturday. Don't pull weeds on the Shabbat (Sat.) Don't be foolish and hate YHWH? by saying His Law is not to be followed. Soi turn from these sins. That's the way Meechie. You keep preaching that the Law is to be followed and souls will turn to the Living Torah (Jesus). That is what you are doing, right? It better be, You don;t want to turn people from the commands. The book of Matthew
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 1:04:37 AM
At 7/17/2013 11:56:20 PM, Sower4GS wrote:
Look u 2, you all mess with Him day and night. Now YHWH's servant, needs to give Him another Scriptural lashing, You know I am not a forum hog, and even if I was, this is serious. Soul winning time, so please give me a little elbow room here. Thanks.
HAHAHAHAHA
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin