Is killing in war violating the Bible?

Jegory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 3:06:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Questions:

1) Is killing in war violating the Ten Commandments, specifically "Thou Shalt Not Kill"? (I couldn't fit it all in the title.)

2) Are the Ten Commandments absolute or do they change in certain circumstances, like war?

3) Are there exceptions to the Ten Commandments?

I'm not sure about these questions and I'm curious to hear what you guys think.
Jegory
tvc184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 3:52:41 AM
At 7/18/2013 3:06:49 AM, Jegory wrote:
The Questions:

1) Is killing in war violating the Ten Commandments, specifically "Thou Shalt Not Kill"? (I couldn't fit it all in the title.)

2) Are the Ten Commandments absolute or do they change in certain circumstances, like war?

I think that most people believe that the translation of the 6th Commandment is that you shall not "murder" meaning to unlawfully kill someone or take the life of an innocent person. That is not killing someone in self defense, warfare or the death sentence.

The various Bibles have several examples of killings that aren't "murder" or the killing of an innocent person.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 3:59:00 AM
The Questions:

If a direct command from God contradicts any of his laws, follow the direct command. If you break his laws for any other reason, you are a sinner and will burn in the lake of fire forever unless you turn to Jesus and give your church lots of money.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 10:11:44 AM
The Questions:

Most people who think about it for more than 10 seconds will find they are forced to take the 10 commandments as general rules not necessarily absolutes. You have to do this to reconcile all sorts of things in the bible. You know God says thou shalt not kill then tells ya, yeah but you have to kill this person and that person and that person and that group over there, but you can keep the attractive women.

If you destroy a zygote it's a violation of the thou shalt not kill rule. Yet if you drop a nuclear bomb on a city but invoke "act of war" that gets you off the hook.

Funny how morality turns out to be eh ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 11:46:38 AM
The Questions:

You speak of the Bible as a person but the Bible can't stand up and speak to you. The Bible isn't even the true original writings of the prophets and saints that God used to testify to what they witnessed within their minds. They were all destroyed by the Jews and Romans who rewrote everything they prophets and saints wrote with additional religious ideas that came from the "beast".