Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Which Religion is the most Moral?

Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 9:34:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

I know it is immoral to have a woman marry her rapist. Do you agree?
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:43:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:34:47 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!

rong>(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)rong>

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

rong>I know rong>it is immoral to have a woman marry her rapist. Do you agree?

Well it is immoral to rape in the first place. then the solution here is basically a punishment to the man who do this, but I believe it isn't to be taken as simply as this I wouldn't judge the verse until I ask jews what happens in these situations:What happens if the woman doesn't agree to marry he rapist or if he Is not an appropriate husband for her. the verse is basically talking to the man and giving him a responsibility for his action.What happens when the woman is already married?! well I guess He'd be stoned to death.So until I get the answers for these questions I can say nothing.But in Islam the woman has the right to agree or refuse a marriage proposal, and if she is forced the marriage is legally invalid (Islamically that is), then she has the right to divorce even if without being in danger or necessity and there are stories that happened the time of the prophet from which we take those rulings.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:11:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 10:43:20 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:34:47 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!

rong>(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)rong>

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

rong>I know rong>it is immoral to have a woman marry her rapist. Do you agree?

Well it is immoral to rape in the first place. then the solution here is basically a punishment to the man who do this, but I believe it isn't to be taken as simply as this I wouldn't judge the verse until I ask jews what happens in these situations:What happens if the woman doesn't agree to marry he rapist or if he Is not an appropriate husband for her. the verse is basically talking to the man and giving him a responsibility for his action.What happens when the woman is already married?! well I guess He'd be stoned to death.So until I get the answers for these questions I can say nothing.But in Islam the woman has the right to agree or refuse a marriage proposal, and if she is forced the marriage is legally invalid (Islamically that is), then she has the right to divorce even if without being in danger or necessity and there are stories that happened the time of the prophet from which we take those rulings.

I think it is safe to say that Christianity, Islam and Judaism are not seriously in contention for the most moral religion.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:32:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

Origin.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
bulproof
Posts: 25,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:54:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?
Q1: NO
Q2: NONE
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 12:02:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 11:54:55 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?
Q1: NO
Q2: NONE

^Argument from ignorance.

The most moral would be the true religion, i.e. the religion revealed by God.
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 1:06:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

Christianity of course! I find St. Paul's male chauvinism very inspiring.
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 1:22:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:34:47 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

I know it is immoral to have a woman marry her rapist. Do you agree?

cmon, you know that's not what the verse says, it says he must marry her her, not the other way around. The difference being that it's up to her if she wants he must marry her. Obviously she doesn't have to marry him if she doesn't want..

But I'm sure that you can find better examples. The question is, what makes something moral/immoral?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 1:37:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 1:22:29 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:34:47 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

I know it is immoral to have a woman marry her rapist. Do you agree?

cmon, you know that's not what the verse says, it says he must marry her her, not the other way around. The difference being that it's up to her if she wants he must marry her. Obviously she doesn't have to marry him if she doesn't want..

But I'm sure that you can find better examples. The question is, what makes something moral/immoral?

I have to agree with you on that one. I judge morality based on the good and harm it does to individuals. Most often morality is determined by some sort of fairness metric. I am not entirely sure that morality is logical, but as an idea, it has been somewhat defined.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 2:13:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 1:22:29 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:34:47 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:27:45 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

All religions that come from God are moral.

But if you want to judge religions with morality, this suggests you already know what morality is, do you really ?!

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

I know it is immoral to have a woman marry her rapist. Do you agree?

cmon, you know that's not what the verse says, it says he must marry her her, not the other way around. The difference being that it's up to her if she wants he must marry her. Obviously she doesn't have to marry him if she doesn't want..

But I'm sure that you can find better examples. The question is, what makes something moral/immoral?

To take things in context:

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT
25 "But if the man meets the engaged woman out in the country, and he rapes her, then only the man must die. 26 Do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no crime worthy of death. She is as innocent as a murder victim. 27 Since the man raped her out in the country, it must be assumed that she screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.
28 "Suppose a man has intercourse with a young woman who is a virgin but is not engaged to be married. If they are discovered, 29 he must pay her father fifty pieces of silver.[c] Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he may never divorce her as long as he lives.

If the woman is married and raped, the rapist dies as long as the woman screamed.
But there is no indication that the raped ex-virgin have a choice. A must is a must. I don't think there is a violated woman who would want to be in the same town as the rapist, let alone in the same bedroom for the rest of her life.

As for morals. Humans unlike animals are not morally neutral. Morals are not a trait of nature, because they go against desires. You will usually not benefit physically from applying them, but there is a drive to maintain them, which is concious. But we feel tempted to apply them even when they can harm us or deprive us from profit in this world, this means they must have an unnatural value but not in this world.
It is hard to nail a definition, but it seems to be doing benefit when given choice not to. It should technically be in accordance to the will of God.
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:10:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
All religions are moral and none can be considered the most moral. Morality is totally subjective. If your a Nihilist, morality isn't a thing so anything is as moral as anything else. If you're Jewish, eating non-Kosher food is immoral. Since morality is defined by the people acting and observing, every religion is following its own morality perfectly and as such is a paragon of morality.

You're question implies that there is some absolute Good and Evil. Even your example about marrying your rapist. Yeah most of us agree that you shouldn't force someone to marry, but by what standard are you calling anything immoral beyond "well it feels wrong to ME".

That kind of thinking is the very thing most people find wrong with religion right? Imposing arbitrary and ill defined limits on others by merit of I'm right and anyone who disagrees is wrong because obviously they are, I'm right after all.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:24:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

Depends. Morals are usually subjective, and can be divided into 3 groups;

1.) Codes of conduct adopted by societies.
2.) Codes of conduct adopted by subsocietal groups (such as a religion).
3.) Personal codes of conduct adopted by individuals.

These 3 groups can overlap. When all 3 groups overlap, it usually indicates that the shared morals are objective. Objective morals are much more rare, and are generally accepted by all rational individuals.

http://plato.stanford.edu...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Cobo
Posts: 556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:36:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

These questions depends entirely on how you define morality or what is moral? Since morality is subjective and differs from person to person. So by whose moral standards are we going by?
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:59:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Every religion that touts a moral code is the most moral in its own eyes.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:29:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No religion is moral.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Bagofhammers
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:30:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Tibetan Book Of The Dead is probably the most morally upright, and best source of wisdom and knowledge I have ever read.
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:43:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seems to me as though the definition of morality is unclear.

Morality, as a human characteristic, is best described as a fundamental term, I think. Much like emotion or happiness, it is best described as something that fulfills it as a general state, rather than something with hard-cut definitions, which will give it an unrealistic prescription.

Take happiness, for example. One could say, "happiness is when you smile and laugh and jump for joy!"

However, there are those who smile when they're not happy -- such as passive aggressive people that smile when they're angry or upset, or those who will smile an inappropriate times as a means of intimidation, or even those who smile to encourage themselves, despite their lack of happiness.

Moreover, there are those that may not laugh at all, or may also laugh at different times. There are certainly those who don't jump for joy when they're happy.

However, this does not detract from a distinct happiness that someone can feel, despite how unique their particular sensation of happiness is, nor however he or she may react to it.

Morality, I feel, is the same. It has a certain sensation that is distinct that one can describe through examples -- such as honesty as opposed to deceit, or altruism, or cooperation. However, morality in and of itself is simply something that humans have observed about themselves (and other conscious beings around them) which they've given a name.

Like beauty, honestly, glory, and completeness.

Religion, I believe, is an attempt to assign a prescription to morality. It is a foundational basis meant to define morality for us.

It is thus, in and of itself, incorrect, if only because it does not take into account the relative nature of interaction and general existence.
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:47:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
On another note, I recently had a dream that I'm a Buddhist. I disagreed with whoever told me this, asserting that I have never lived like a Buddhist, and that the majority of my religious background is in Christianity.

The person replied that it's irrelevant, and that on the inside, I have always been a Buddhist whether or not, and if I so desire to be a Christian, I can be both.

What does it mean???
jmals
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:35:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Christianity teaches that to judge others is in itself unacceptable. Christians therefore should remain impartial as to their own and other groups morality or lack thereof.
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:39:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

The most moral religions are the ones without God or dogma.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:54:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

In my opinion, Jainism is the most morally good religion; it preaches total nonviolence to and equality for all living beings.
llamainmypocket
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:38:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

The determination of what is moral is subjective and therefore each religion would think itself the most moral. Essentially, you would just be taking a poll of forum dogmas. I'd be willing to bet that there will even be some atheists who consider themselves the most moral.
HmblySkTrth
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 5:16:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 4:38:47 PM, llamainmypocket wrote:

The determination of what is moral is subjective and therefore each religion would think itself the most moral. Essentially, you would just be taking a poll of forum dogmas. I'd be willing to bet that there will even be some atheists who consider themselves the most moral.

Of course atheists can consider themselves moral. It is better to do what you believe is right, based on how your actions affect the world, than blindly follow a religion because of future reward or punishment. That is very selfish and immoral.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:30:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 11:47:17 PM, Such wrote:
On another note, I recently had a dream that I'm a Buddhist. I disagreed with whoever told me this, asserting that I have never lived like a Buddhist, and that the majority of my religious background is in Christianity.

The person replied that it's irrelevant, and that on the inside, I have always been a Buddhist whether or not, and if I so desire to be a Christian, I can be both.

What does it mean???

It depends , dream are of 3 types:1- your own thinking (in this case the dream means nothing big, but you could find solutions to daily problems through dreams).2-Demon inspiration: Demon trying to deceive you.3-true Dreams from God, like seeing something and this thing happens as dreamed, this is like almost 1 percept of prophet-hood, but very few people will have it, and the people who have it are usually believers .And I think it was the 2, cause Christianity came after Budhism, so it is a recent update from God, it would be silly to go backward.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:43:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 11:11:52 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
I think it is safe to say that Christianity, Islam and Judaism are not seriously in contention for the most moral religion.

No it isn't safe, this is called hiding. If you want to be fair, you have to go this way:1-define Morality (and this is very tough without religion).And I don't say it's tough because I'm dumb, but because Morality is enjoying good and forbidding evil, and these aspects need to be set objectively, not subjectively, without being biased to new trends, but to really what is good for mankind, and what is not good. and is there better than the creator to know ?!2-check each religion teachings and compare them in all aspects of social and political life.3-determine which is the most efficient religion for the Human kind.And behold, you must be a very wise man to be able to judge.
llamainmypocket
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:55:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 5:16:00 PM, HmblySkTrth wrote:
At 7/22/2013 4:38:47 PM, llamainmypocket wrote:

The determination of what is moral is subjective and therefore each religion would think itself the most moral. Essentially, you would just be taking a poll of forum dogmas. I'd be willing to bet that there will even be some atheists who consider themselves the most moral.

Of course atheists can consider themselves moral. It is better to do what you believe is right, based on how your actions affect the world, than blindly follow a religion because of future reward or punishment. That is very selfish and immoral.

It is better to do what is actually right than simply to do what you believe is right. Because Christ tells us what is right and Christ is divine then what Christ tells us is right is actually right. And so I refute your premise.

it is not conditional upon Christianity to blindly follow because of future reward or punishment. It is necessary to live by Christ's example and accept him into your heart as divine and your second premise is therefore refuted.

The only way in which your conclusion may follow your premises is as a personal meaning of immorality. An objective meaning of morality, as in the conformity to social moral norms, is 100% in line with Christianity because the majority of people identify as such. If we're taking about a subjective kind of immorality then you just proved my point.

It wasn't my intention to insult you by suggesting atheists would identify as the most moral. It naturally follow that morality comes from your world view. The irony is simply that the moral philosophy of atheism so obviously sucks balls.

I can say all of this without truly identifying as a Christian. I'm something of an agnostic or weak pantheist. I just think Christianity is awesome.
DeFool
Posts: 626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:19:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/21/2013 9:13:24 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any moral religions? Which religion do you think is the most moral?

Satanism.

Satanism is the most 'moral' of all religions. Why? Because the mythical Satan is the most moral lesser-deity that is commonly known. The Old Testament, after all, teaches us that Satan taught mankind all that we know about right and wrong, good and evil, just from unjust. It says so in the bible, and we are not allowed to doubt it.

I quoteth from Genesis:

3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:52:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 7:43:27 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 7/21/2013 11:11:52 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
I think it is safe to say that Christianity, Islam and Judaism are not seriously in contention for the most moral religion.

No it isn't safe, this is called hiding. If you want to be fair, you have to go this way:1-define Morality (and this is very tough without religion).And I don't say it's tough because I'm dumb, but because Morality is enjoying good and forbidding evil, and these aspects need to be set objectively, not subjectively, without being biased to new trends, but to really what is good for mankind, and what is not good. and is there better than the creator to know ?!2-check each religion teachings and compare them in all aspects of social and political life.

Here is one moral I hope we can agree on. No unnecessary killing. Well God broke that a lot of times in the bible.

3-determine which is the most efficient religion for the Human kind.And behold, you must be a very wise man to be able to judge.

Well the most efficient religion to me is the religion of money. Think of all the efficient things that has produced. Maybe religion should not be about mere efficiency but about something more important. Maybe religion should be about helping people rather than just being efficient.