Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

tounge rings

brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:40:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
lol in my last post about tattoos somebody had wrote a comment about tounge rings i do in fact have one and they do not necearally mean what people say they mean but
my point is that the person has said that its a body art and in some peoples words "a discrase in christianty"
am i right or wrong?
you should do what ever you want not because of what somebody else says that it is wrong
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:46:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think you ought to listen to and consider what other people say and then you should decide what you think is the right thing to do, and what you think is wrong.

That being said, I think tongue rings are pointless and silly things that people get for no other reason than to fit in/ be cool.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:49:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 3:40:35 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
lol in my last post about tattoos somebody had wrote a comment about tounge rings i do in fact have one and they do not necearally mean what people say they mean but
my point is that the person has said that its a body art and in some peoples words "a discrase in christianty"
am i right or wrong?
you should do what ever you want not because of what somebody else says that it is wrong

Again this ties in with leviticus.

You cannot desecrate your body, that only applies if your DEVOUT though.
brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:49:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago

That being said, I think tongue rings are pointless and silly things that people get for no other reason than to fit in/ be cool.

lol thats one persons oppinion
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:54:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 3:49:56 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:

lol thats one persons oppinion

Indeed that's kind of tied up with the "I think" part.

I cannot understand how it's "body art" as you, in your first post, said some people thought of it.
I think it's clearly a cry for attention.

would you care to enlighten me as to how it qualifies as "art",
what does it represent? The only thing you have alluded to in this regard is the common stereotype that girls who get such things are rather loose.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 3:58:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
: At 12/9/2009 3:54:14 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/9/2009 3:49:56 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:

lol thats one persons oppinion

Indeed that's kind of tied up with the "I think" part.

I cannot understand how it's "body art" as you, in your first post, said some people thought of it.
I think it's clearly a cry for attention.

would you care to enlighten me as to how it qualifies as "art",
: what does it represent? The only thing you have alluded to in this regard is the common stereotype that girls who get such things are rather loose.


lol you beleive in the sterotype as well but either what ever way i could care less about you or anybody elses
i will continue to have it and who ever dont like it in public can just look a way
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:01:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 3:58:14 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:

lol you beleive in the sterotype as well but either what ever way i could care less about you or anybody elses
i will continue to have it and who ever dont like it in public can just look a way

I didn't say I believe the stereotype, I said that it seems to me to be nothing more than a cry for attention, and an effort to fit in/ be cool.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:04:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
lol what do you care? honestly its my body i do with it how ever i want to
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:05:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 4:01:26 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Please explain to me how it's so much more, I'd really like to know.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:06:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 4:04:15 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
lol what do you care? honestly its my body i do with it how ever i want to

Hey it was your post, you made it the topic, I told you my opinion and asked for why you think the way you do on the matter.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brooke_bowen
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:09:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
i feel that its how one expresses one self
if one was to get its ear pierced or navel or nose thats there likes or if somebody does not then that is your dislikes
and have that said in your statement you perfer not that type of style as of i do
go to my debate http://www.Debate.org...


I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing.
Through every dark night, theres a bright day after that.
So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it."
Tupac Shakur
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:14:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Thank you,

I would ask what kind of thing the tongue ring expresses, I would guess it's a sign that you don't submit to the general social norms? A sign of protest against the smothering nature of the society in which you live??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:37:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 4:14:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I would ask what kind of thing the tongue ring expresses, I would guess it's a sign that you don't submit to the general social norms? A sign of protest against the smothering nature of the society in which you live??

In popular culture, yes. But this is the same for our rather complex clothing ideas - because since when do you need to add frills to your dress out of survival?

Its all about individuality, and the expression of it. People want to define themselves as "different" from the others - sometimes on the basis of their own ideas, sometimes not - because its a human need. No one that is truly well-tuned to the world wants to be seen as nothing, as just another face in the crowd, so they do things like stick pieces of metal in their tongues, or climb the social ladder, or wear colourful clothing, etc.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:39:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 4:37:35 PM, Volkov wrote:


In popular culture, yes. But this is the same for our rather complex clothing ideas - because since when do you need to add frills to your dress out of survival?

Its all about individuality, and the expression of it. People want to define themselves as "different" from the others - sometimes on the basis of their own ideas, sometimes not - because its a human need. No one that is truly well-tuned to the world wants to be seen as nothing, as just another face in the crowd, so they do things like stick pieces of metal in their tongues, or climb the social ladder, or wear colourful clothing, etc.

So basically a cry for attention, or an effort to keep up with others in being socially relevant.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 4:47:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 4:39:20 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
So basically a cry for attention, or an effort to keep up with others in being socially relevant.

Actually, its both. XD Makes sense right?

Think about it. People do whats popular because it allows them to be 'in' with the crowd; but usually, those people will find some sort of slight variation on it - different placement of piercings, trinkets on clothes, etc. - in order to stand out, even if its just a smidgen. Then, of course, if it seems acceptable and cool, people will start copying those small variations, and then those variations become popular, and then it goes around again.

It fails, but it works.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 5:05:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 12/9/2009 4:04:15 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
lol what do you care? honestly its my body i do with it how ever i want to

You claim to be a Christian.

While I think it is your body, that can only be justified on earthly grounds.

How would you feel if Christ said "It's my body I can do whatever I want to.?"

You wouldn't have a personal savior.

Supposedly, in order for his sacrifice to save you, you have to accept his rules and those of his father no?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 4:31:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/9/2009 3:40:35 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
I wear adornments on my body to be unique because my personality is bland and not original.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 4:32:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/12/2009 4:31:27 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/9/2009 3:40:35 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
I wear adornments on my body to be unique because my personality is bland and not original.

Careful John. I don't want you to be banned.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 5:19:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Thats my belief of people who wear multiple kinds of rings and different tattoos.

If I get banned for it, I care not.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2009 8:23:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Everybody who gets tongue rings does it for social approval? What an ignorant statement. I used to have a tongue ring and I got it for sexual experimentation. Haha. I took it out after a few years because I realized it was unnecessary and I just grew out of it. But, people with tongue rings will tell you that you get used to them being there and playing with them, so when you take them out, you miss having it in because it becomes a habit like biting your nails. It's fun, and some people just like the way it looks. I don't like them anymore, but again, you grow out of liking certain styles the same way *you grow out of liking styles throughout your whole life.*

Judging people who get facial piercings and assuming it's for any other reason than they like the style if hypocritical; the only reason we're okay with wearing anything is because you like it and/or because it's socially acceptable. One or the other. Sooo, anyway. I grew out of that phase (and I also had a phase where I died my blonde hair dark brown lulz) but I see why other people like it (body art).

Which brings me to my next point -- It is absolutely art if someone considers it art. Art is that which one finds moving or uses as a symbol to move (i.e. the symbolism of modern art). Just because it might not be that way for you doesn't mean it doesn't have that effect on others, even if it DOES represent "the need for attention," etc.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2009 8:35:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/9/2009 3:46:39 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I think tongue rings are pointless and silly things that people get for no other reason than to fit in/ be cool.
And "sexual experimentation"

So far as it being "art", I disagree. It doesn't represent anything; like a lot of "modern art" as you pointed out; and doesn't evoke an emotional response (which modern art sometimes does), which I think I are the only ways in which things can be "art".
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2009 8:35:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lwerd- I personally feel that we can generally tell a lot about a person's mentality based on how they portray themselves outwardly. Tongue rings I would generally associate with a sort of "desperately need to assert my individuality" type mentality. Having one out of sexual curiosity is an alternate possibility but one so rare that the generalization is still kind of safe o.O

What is your take on the notion that we *can* judge a book by it's cover if the book chooses its own cover?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2009 8:57:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/14/2009 8:35:36 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Lwerd- I personally feel that we can generally tell a lot about a person's mentality based on how they portray themselves outwardly. Tongue rings I would generally associate with a sort of "desperately need to assert my individuality" type mentality. Having one out of sexual curiosity is an alternate possibility but one so rare that the generalization is still kind of safe o.O

What is your take on the notion that we *can* judge a book by it's cover if the book chooses its own cover?

I don't think we can always tell a lot about a person by the way they portray themselves outwardly, though we might be able to tell a lot about how a person wants us to perceive them - but not necessarily how they really are.

For instance, do we not all have an image in our head of what we think a conservative politician would look like (meh, I don't feel like Googling the psychological study where they saw how a vast majority of people chose the same person they'd vote for in an election just by their photo)? The point is that one might want to portray themselves as a "traditional conservative" on the outside but that's not how they really are (ie. they might be tapping male's feet in rest rooms for oral sex, for instance).

Also, I don't know if I really think that you can stereotype one with a tongue ring as probably being desperate to stand out. Isn't that the same as stereotyping the one who doesn't get a tongue ring as trying to fit in? It's more rational to say that you get what style you like. Some people think certain styles are cool and uniquely hip... but if I think they're lame, I'm not gonna wear it.

Anyway I guess I'm biased on this question because people's assumptions about me are almost always dead wrong (i.e. the real reason I got a tongue ring was for physical purposes - not for attention). I'd say that simple people are easy to figure out, and the more socially intelligent people will be able to read them and pick up on them. The more intelligent people might also realize that you can get away with manipulating people's perception of you if you're good enough at it.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2009 9:10:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is actually a really interesting topic, Klep.

What you're essentially saying is that we can judge a book by its cover even though the book gets to choose what that cover is... but consider this: Aren't you the one who frequently talks about one's online image or identity? Do you really think we know each other even though (and just because) we can manipulate how we portray ourselves to one anther?

Lol think of it this way - I'm sure a few people have at least once wondered what I am like "in real life." Am I always this outspoken and confident? Or am I really this timid weakling inside who's hiding behind her sexuality and a fake online bravado? The truth is that you wouldn't know and would never be sure even if you did know me in real life. I'm not even sure I know...

Haha no, I really am this outspoken.

Anyway the point is that I think the answer to your question is, of course, it depends on the individual. Some people are better at manipulating the perception of themselves that they want to portray than others... and some people fall for other people's charade more easily. So I guess, as always, it's situational.
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 1:06:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/9/2009 3:40:35 PM, brooke_bowen wrote:
lol in my last post about tattoos somebody had wrote a comment about tounge rings i do in fact have one and they do not necearally mean what people say they mean but
my point is that the person has said that its a body art and in some peoples words "a discrase in christianty"
am i right or wrong?
you should do what ever you want not because of what somebody else says that it is wrong

I don't see what it has to do with Christians. In fact I think it would be a bit of a cheek for them to complain about tongue rings given that they demand that their teenage daughters should be allowed to wear chastity rings and necklaces with crosses on them as expressions of their faith in schools where jewellery is otherwise prohibited.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 1:32:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't mind girls having their bodies pierced and tattooed but they have to be young to get away with it.

TheLwerd said she's got rid of her tongue ring now (not that I'm saying she's old, of course) but tattoos are permanent and on older women tattoos are often referred to as "slag tags" or "whore marks" which can't be a very nice thing to hear, especially if she is out with her kids at the time.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 1:49:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I agree about the tats, Brian.Tongue piercing holes close without having one in for less than a day (or something crazy like that). While some tats may be "cool" or have meaning for you -- and hell, may not even be totally tacky -- they're going to look a little silly on women when they're older. I'm being sexist here, but I'm a woman so I can get away with it :)
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 11:23:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
lol I find this page of this thread extraordinarily familiar to Sartre's first page in his book "Being and Nothingness." You can tell a lot about a person by what they want to seem like to the world.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.