Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

what is the story of the Bible?

MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:26:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
it is a story, which can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it.

However, what it really is, is evidence in the universal court case. Evidence which was gathered over a period of some 4000 years.

The court case is simple. Satan issued a challenge to God saying no man would ever serve God willingly, especially when under trial.

God could of course have wiped Satan out there and then, but being, amongst other things, a God of wisdom and justice God realised that the issue had to be answered. He also knew it would take time to do it, and so he set a specified length of time to one side.

He then set about having a record made of how his plan for countering Satan's challenge was developing, as well as recording many of Satan's attempts to divert it, and prove his case.

That court case really came to a head when God's son was sent to the Earth to inhabit a perfect human body, and amongst other things provide proof that a perfect human could, despite everything that Satan could put him through, remain faithful.

He succeeded, and performed his father's work as fully, succeeding in every task he was given, and faithfully performing the sacrifices of his blood and his right to perfect human life.

The last stage of the evidence gathering, was to give evidence of the struggle to gather in the first of those who under the new covenant, the covenant for a kingdom, would go to heaven to rule with God's son.

Scripture is also filled with examples of God for telling how things would go, and culminates with a gathering together and expanding on a number of prophecies which would extend for a further three millennia.

We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did, and no those he is condemned being with little time left before he is imprisoned and thus unable to act anymore, until one final chance is given to him, briefly, which he will fail and will lead to his destruction permanently.

That, very much in a nutshell, is the "story" of Scripture. However, to those of us who have developed an intimate knowledge of it, thanks to God's guidance through holy spirit, it becomes a very personal letter from God to us.

What some may consider to be the downside of the bargain, is that we have to become what Christ called "good for nothing slaves" to our God and his son. However, for the great joy and peace of mind that holy spirit brings into your life it is more than worth it.

Galatians 5:22-24
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

These are all fruitages which those who have the privilege of sharing God's spirit have to display, whether they be given the gift of holy spirit, or holy spirit is merely sent to them as a helper and guide at times of need, when in God's service.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 8:06:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 7:48:29 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Redemption.

well yes that is rather part of the overall plan, but only a part.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 10:06:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
MCB: "We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did."

Anna: When exactly did this occur - and what unbiased, straight-forward evidence can you present in favor of this assertion? What is your evidence that Satan WAS taunting God prior to the time, yet stopped AFTER this time.

Please note that I am not asking for your peculiar views of prophesy.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Bagofhammers
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 10:14:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 6:26:17 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
it is a story, which can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it.

However, what it really is, is evidence in the universal court case. Evidence which was gathered over a period of some 4000 years.

The court case is simple. Satan issued a challenge to God saying no man would ever serve God willingly, especially when under trial.

God could of course have wiped Satan out there and then, but being, amongst other things, a God of wisdom and justice God realised that the issue had to be answered. He also knew it would take time to do it, and so he set a specified length of time to one side.

He then set about having a record made of how his plan for countering Satan's challenge was developing, as well as recording many of Satan's attempts to divert it, and prove his case.

That court case really came to a head when God's son was sent to the Earth to inhabit a perfect human body, and amongst other things provide proof that a perfect human could, despite everything that Satan could put him through, remain faithful.

He succeeded, and performed his father's work as fully, succeeding in every task he was given, and faithfully performing the sacrifices of his blood and his right to perfect human life.

The last stage of the evidence gathering, was to give evidence of the struggle to gather in the first of those who under the new covenant, the covenant for a kingdom, would go to heaven to rule with God's son.

Scripture is also filled with examples of God for telling how things would go, and culminates with a gathering together and expanding on a number of prophecies which would extend for a further three millennia.

We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did, and no those he is condemned being with little time left before he is imprisoned and thus unable to act anymore, until one final chance is given to him, briefly, which he will fail and will lead to his destruction permanently.

That, very much in a nutshell, is the "story" of Scripture. However, to those of us who have developed an intimate knowledge of it, thanks to God's guidance through holy spirit, it becomes a very personal letter from God to us.

What some may consider to be the downside of the bargain, is that we have to become what Christ called "good for nothing slaves" to our God and his son. However, for the great joy and peace of mind that holy spirit brings into your life it is more than worth it.

Galatians 5:22-24
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

These are all fruitages which those who have the privilege of sharing God's spirit have to display, whether they be given the gift of holy spirit, or holy spirit is merely sent to them as a helper and guide at times of need, when in God's service.

The Bible is a practice in getting people to ignore open unrepentant evil, and to throw away their own personal moral compass, and common sense, and replacing them with what Moses says. It's about controlling people through the use of terrorism. Jesus was the most famous victim of the terrorism of the OT, and him not attacking the doctrine of terrorism that had him condemned to be killed was a grave mistake. Jesus was either brainwashed, or he was performing miracles on YHWH's(Moses's made up God of terrorism) behalf, which helped to spread YHWH's and Moses's influence, spawning Islam, and turning people into racists, bigots, dictators, false prophets....etc....
atheismo
Posts: 53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 1:46:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
genocide when god wiped out the enemies of christians. slavery when the egyptians had th christians and jews. misogny when the new testament says women must be quiet in church.

the Bible is a fraud. it was written by primitve people who just didnt know advance science like we do today.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 7:26:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 1:46:12 AM, atheismo wrote:
genocide when god wiped out the enemies of christians. slavery when the egyptians had th christians and jews. misogny when the new testament says women must be quiet in church.

the Bible is a fraud. it was written by primitve people who just didnt know advance science like we do today.

*****

"genocide when god wiped out the enemies of christians."

When was this?

*****

"slavery when the egyptians had th christians and jews."

... andddddddddd when was this?

*****

"misogny when the new testament says women must be quiet in church."

That's misogyny? Or, in the abbreviated form, "misogny".
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 10:30:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 1:46:12 AM, atheismo wrote:
genocide when god wiped out the enemies of christians. slavery when the egyptians had th christians and jews. misogny when the new testament says women must be quiet in church.

the Bible is a fraud. it was written by primitve people who just didnt know advance science like we do today.

Well, apart from the fact that you don't seem to have any understanding of Scripture whatever, maybe you should do a little research into why those things you mention, which happened did happen. Of course, you'll never find anything out about the ones that didn't happen simply because they didn't happen.

As for the winning keeping quiet in church that comes from apostate faiths. Jesus treated women with a great deal of respect.

The first person to whom he personally revealed his purpose on the Earth was not only a Samaritan, a race hated by the Jews, but a woman.

When a woman with a flow of blood touch the hem of his clout his clothing healed her, and not only that he defended her against those who wanted her put to death for what was, in fact, a serious transgression of the law.

On his resurrection. The first person he spoke to, and gave the privilege of carrying a message to his disciples, was again a woman, Mary Magdalen. He didn't just say to her something like "woman fetch the disciples to me." He actually gave her a message of comfort for her to give them.

No, Jesus was no misogynist, and therefore neither can any be who truly follow him.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 11:21:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 6:26:17 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
it is a story, which can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it.

However, what it really is, is evidence in the universal court case. Evidence which was gathered over a period of some 4000 years.

The court case is simple. Satan issued a challenge to God saying no man would ever serve God willingly, especially when under trial.

God could of course have wiped Satan out there and then, but being, amongst other things, a God of wisdom and justice God realised that the issue had to be answered. He also knew it would take time to do it, and so he set a specified length of time to one side.

He then set about having a record made of how his plan for countering Satan's challenge was developing, as well as recording many of Satan's attempts to divert it, and prove his case.

That court case really came to a head when God's son was sent to the Earth to inhabit a perfect human body, and amongst other things provide proof that a perfect human could, despite everything that Satan could put him through, remain faithful.

He succeeded, and performed his father's work as fully, succeeding in every task he was given, and faithfully performing the sacrifices of his blood and his right to perfect human life.

The last stage of the evidence gathering, was to give evidence of the struggle to gather in the first of those who under the new covenant, the covenant for a kingdom, would go to heaven to rule with God's son.

Scripture is also filled with examples of God for telling how things would go, and culminates with a gathering together and expanding on a number of prophecies which would extend for a further three millennia.

We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did, and no those he is condemned being with little time left before he is imprisoned and thus unable to act anymore, until one final chance is given to him, briefly, which he will fail and will lead to his destruction permanently.

That, very much in a nutshell, is the "story" of Scripture. However, to those of us who have developed an intimate knowledge of it, thanks to God's guidance through holy spirit, it becomes a very personal letter from God to us.

What some may consider to be the downside of the bargain, is that we have to become what Christ called "good for nothing slaves" to our God and his son.

And, by necessity, their earthly representitives. This mentality is why the pious have been able to get away with so much abuse, torture, rape and murder.

However, for the great joy and peace of mind that holy spirit brings into your life it is more than worth it.

Is it now?


Galatians 5:22-24
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

These are all fruitages which those who have the privilege of sharing God's spirit have to display, whether they be given the gift of holy spirit, or holy spirit is merely sent to them as a helper and guide at times of need, when in God's service.

Hmm. I prefer the Similarion.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 3:08:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 11:21:33 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:26:17 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
it is a story, which can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it.

However, what it really is, is evidence in the universal court case. Evidence which was gathered over a period of some 4000 years.

The court case is simple. Satan issued a challenge to God saying no man would ever serve God willingly, especially when under trial.

God could of course have wiped Satan out there and then, but being, amongst other things, a God of wisdom and justice God realised that the issue had to be answered. He also knew it would take time to do it, and so he set a specified length of time to one side.

He then set about having a record made of how his plan for countering Satan's challenge was developing, as well as recording many of Satan's attempts to divert it, and prove his case.

That court case really came to a head when God's son was sent to the Earth to inhabit a perfect human body, and amongst other things provide proof that a perfect human could, despite everything that Satan could put him through, remain faithful.

He succeeded, and performed his father's work as fully, succeeding in every task he was given, and faithfully performing the sacrifices of his blood and his right to perfect human life.

The last stage of the evidence gathering, was to give evidence of the struggle to gather in the first of those who under the new covenant, the covenant for a kingdom, would go to heaven to rule with God's son.

Scripture is also filled with examples of God for telling how things would go, and culminates with a gathering together and expanding on a number of prophecies which would extend for a further three millennia.

We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did, and no those he is condemned being with little time left before he is imprisoned and thus unable to act anymore, until one final chance is given to him, briefly, which he will fail and will lead to his destruction permanently.

That, very much in a nutshell, is the "story" of Scripture. However, to those of us who have developed an intimate knowledge of it, thanks to God's guidance through holy spirit, it becomes a very personal letter from God to us.

What some may consider to be the downside of the bargain, is that we have to become what Christ called "good for nothing slaves" to our God and his son.

And, by necessity, their earthly representitives. This mentality is why the pious have been able to get away with so much abuse, torture, rape and murder.

However, for the great joy and peace of mind that holy spirit brings into your life it is more than worth it.

Is it now?


Galatians 5:22-24
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

These are all fruitages which those who have the privilege of sharing God's spirit have to display, whether they be given the gift of holy spirit, or holy spirit is merely sent to them as a helper and guide at times of need, when in God's service.

Hmm. I prefer the Similarion.

I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the silmarillion, I really didn't feel it was to the same standards as the Hobbit or the Lord of the rings.

However, all of the above are works of fiction. The Bible is fact from one end to the other.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 5:16:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 3:08:33 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/25/2013 11:21:33 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:26:17 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
it is a story, which can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it.

However, what it really is, is evidence in the universal court case. Evidence which was gathered over a period of some 4000 years.

The court case is simple. Satan issued a challenge to God saying no man would ever serve God willingly, especially when under trial.

God could of course have wiped Satan out there and then, but being, amongst other things, a God of wisdom and justice God realised that the issue had to be answered. He also knew it would take time to do it, and so he set a specified length of time to one side.

He then set about having a record made of how his plan for countering Satan's challenge was developing, as well as recording many of Satan's attempts to divert it, and prove his case.

That court case really came to a head when God's son was sent to the Earth to inhabit a perfect human body, and amongst other things provide proof that a perfect human could, despite everything that Satan could put him through, remain faithful.

He succeeded, and performed his father's work as fully, succeeding in every task he was given, and faithfully performing the sacrifices of his blood and his right to perfect human life.

The last stage of the evidence gathering, was to give evidence of the struggle to gather in the first of those who under the new covenant, the covenant for a kingdom, would go to heaven to rule with God's son.

Scripture is also filled with examples of God for telling how things would go, and culminates with a gathering together and expanding on a number of prophecies which would extend for a further three millennia.

We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did, and no those he is condemned being with little time left before he is imprisoned and thus unable to act anymore, until one final chance is given to him, briefly, which he will fail and will lead to his destruction permanently.

That, very much in a nutshell, is the "story" of Scripture. However, to those of us who have developed an intimate knowledge of it, thanks to God's guidance through holy spirit, it becomes a very personal letter from God to us.

What some may consider to be the downside of the bargain, is that we have to become what Christ called "good for nothing slaves" to our God and his son.

And, by necessity, their earthly representitives. This mentality is why the pious have been able to get away with so much abuse, torture, rape and murder.

However, for the great joy and peace of mind that holy spirit brings into your life it is more than worth it.

Is it now?


Galatians 5:22-24
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

These are all fruitages which those who have the privilege of sharing God's spirit have to display, whether they be given the gift of holy spirit, or holy spirit is merely sent to them as a helper and guide at times of need, when in God's service.

Hmm. I prefer the Similarion.

I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the silmarillion, I really didn't feel it was to the same standards as the Hobbit or the Lord of the rings.

However, all of the above are works of fiction. The Bible is fact from one end to the other.

Every word of The Silmarillion was fact. What evidence do you have that suggests the story of the Bible was true but that of The Silmarillion was fiction.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 5:59:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 5:16:16 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 7/25/2013 3:08:33 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/25/2013 11:21:33 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:26:17 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
it is a story, which can be as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it.

However, what it really is, is evidence in the universal court case. Evidence which was gathered over a period of some 4000 years.

The court case is simple. Satan issued a challenge to God saying no man would ever serve God willingly, especially when under trial.

God could of course have wiped Satan out there and then, but being, amongst other things, a God of wisdom and justice God realised that the issue had to be answered. He also knew it would take time to do it, and so he set a specified length of time to one side.

He then set about having a record made of how his plan for countering Satan's challenge was developing, as well as recording many of Satan's attempts to divert it, and prove his case.

That court case really came to a head when God's son was sent to the Earth to inhabit a perfect human body, and amongst other things provide proof that a perfect human could, despite everything that Satan could put him through, remain faithful.

He succeeded, and performed his father's work as fully, succeeding in every task he was given, and faithfully performing the sacrifices of his blood and his right to perfect human life.

The last stage of the evidence gathering, was to give evidence of the struggle to gather in the first of those who under the new covenant, the covenant for a kingdom, would go to heaven to rule with God's son.

Scripture is also filled with examples of God for telling how things would go, and culminates with a gathering together and expanding on a number of prophecies which would extend for a further three millennia.

We are now in the last of those three millennia, and rapidly approaching the time when God's plan will be put fully into action. Satan has finally been cast out of heaven, no longer able to taunt God as he did, and no those he is condemned being with little time left before he is imprisoned and thus unable to act anymore, until one final chance is given to him, briefly, which he will fail and will lead to his destruction permanently.

That, very much in a nutshell, is the "story" of Scripture. However, to those of us who have developed an intimate knowledge of it, thanks to God's guidance through holy spirit, it becomes a very personal letter from God to us.

What some may consider to be the downside of the bargain, is that we have to become what Christ called "good for nothing slaves" to our God and his son.

And, by necessity, their earthly representitives. This mentality is why the pious have been able to get away with so much abuse, torture, rape and murder.

However, for the great joy and peace of mind that holy spirit brings into your life it is more than worth it.

Is it now?


Galatians 5:22-24
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

These are all fruitages which those who have the privilege of sharing God's spirit have to display, whether they be given the gift of holy spirit, or holy spirit is merely sent to them as a helper and guide at times of need, when in God's service.

Hmm. I prefer the Similarion.

I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the silmarillion, I really didn't feel it was to the same standards as the Hobbit or the Lord of the rings.

However, all of the above are works of fiction. The Bible is fact from one end to the other.

Every word of The Silmarillion was fact. What evidence do you have that suggests the story of the Bible was true but that of The Silmarillion was fiction.

Personally the evidence I have is the effective holy spirit in my life, not just in help me to understand Scripture, but also in having helped me do a number of tasks in God's service which were well outside my skill set before and after I performed them.

Of course was that is evidence to me it isn't evidence to anyone who wasn't there at the time, though a number of people were.

Other than that I have books like "the Bible as history" written by a gentleman called Werner Keller, and "the design revolution" subtitled "answering the toughest questions about intelligent design, written by a gentleman called William A Dembski, to name but two.

I also have the evidence of my own eyes, primarily in the marvels of creation all around me, and via television and DVD then to microbiological level. All of which speaks very clearly of design.

To add to that visual evidence I have the artefacts seen on a tour of the British Museum, which clearly demonstrate the accuracy of both history and prophecy in the Bible. I have to admit I only did the one Bible related tour, and there are about half a dozen of them. I have been telling myself for 30 years now that I really must go back there and take a few more tours.

The British Museum is not unique. There are many museums throughout the Earth, which have artefacts which demonstrate the accuracy of the Bible, though, as Werner Keller found, many are buried away in museum back rooms and in the bottoms of drawers.

Even the fossil record supports an accurate reading of the creation account far better than it does the theory of evolution.

As for the writings of Tolkien, they describe in words and maps are non-existent place where non-existent acts were performed.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 6:48:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
MCB: "Personally the evidence I have is the effective holy spirit in my life, not just in help me to understand Scripture, but also in having helped me do a number of tasks in God's service which were well outside my skill set before and after I performed them."

Anna:

1. Does the Holy Spirit - or "holy spirit", as you style it - perform a miracle on you? I mean, either this Holy Spirit is operating within God's prescribed Law of Nature, or else it is something above and beyond those laws.

2. Could you give us an example or two of these "tasks" in God's service which you performed which were (1) above your skill set and (2) you could not have equally done in the employ of a private individual.

I have a couple of other queries:

When Peter wrote II Peter (presumably in the AD 60's), he said:

"his divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that called us by his own glory and virtue"

At the time of that writing, had the apostles of Jesus Christ been granted all things?

Is your doctrine not one of continuous revelation, the idea that God continually reveals a little more and little more?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 6:59:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/25/2013 6:48:25 PM, annanicole wrote:
MCB: "Personally the evidence I have is the effective holy spirit in my life, not just in help me to understand Scripture, but also in having helped me do a number of tasks in God's service which were well outside my skill set before and after I performed them."

Anna:

1. Does the Holy Spirit - or "holy spirit", as you style it - perform a miracle on you? I mean, either this Holy Spirit is operating within God's prescribed Law of Nature, or else it is something above and beyond those laws.

2. Could you give us an example or two of these "tasks" in God's service which you performed which were (1) above your skill set and (2) you could not have equally done in the employ of a private individual.

I have a couple of other queries:

When Peter wrote II Peter (presumably in the AD 60's), he said:

"his divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that called us by his own glory and virtue"

At the time of that writing, had the apostles of Jesus Christ been granted all things?

Is your doctrine not one of continuous revelation, the idea that God continually reveals a little more and little more?

just because we don't fully understand how holy spirit works, does not mean it works beyond the rules of nature. God sets those rules not us.

It also also depends on what you call a miracle. To me childbirth miracle. I think the two single cells can combine to form one fertilised one, which then starts splitting over and over again.

These cells then completely predetermined points, presumably, according to instructions written in the DNA suddenly start to change into other kinds of cell. They always do it in approximately the same places which is why no one ever grows up with a heart in their feet, etc..

For that to happen, even in are now imperfect human bodies, approximately 99% of the time or better, is miracle enough in my eyes.

Exodus 35:30-35 Then Moses said to the sons of Israel: "See, Jehovah has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah. 31 And he proceeded to fill him with the spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in every sort of craftsmanship 32 and for designing devices, for working in gold and silver and copper, 33 and in working of stones to set them and in working of wood to make ingenious products of every sort. 34 And he has put it into his heart that he should teach, he and Oholiab the son of Ahisamach of the tribe of Dan. 35 He has filled them with wisdom of heart to do all the work of a craftsman and an embroiderer and of a weaver in blue thread and wool dyed reddish purple, in coccus scarlet material and fine linen, and of a loom worker, men doing every sort of work and designing devices.

Read on, If you want to understand why I have included this passage.

However, the me to be able to perform successfully, skilled tasks that I have never performed before, and can no longer perform now is indeed a miracle. Not only that, but to be able to do so time and again, and match the quality of work to the few skilled bricklayers we had on site, is even more of a miracle, and then for my final act on the quick-build team to be put to work on the front wall of Birkenhead Kingdom Hall, about which the planners had been particularly insistent that it had to be in random cut stone, carefully worked to level courses at regular, predetermined intervals, when I had never worked stone in my life before, let alone cut it with a simple stone hammer to the shape I wanted to fit into the "random" nature of the pattern needed to fit in with the planners specific requirements was one of the greatest miracles I have known in my own personal life.

Ask any stonemason, they will tell you that working in stone, cutting it to size and dressing it to fit, takes years of training, but anyone who goes to Birkenhead and finds that Kingdom Hall can look at an example of what holy spirit enabled me to do. The team leader that set me that task knew I had never done it before, but had every bit as much faith in the power of the holy spirit as, by that time, I had, maybe more.

I keep promising myself that I'm going to go back there and see that all again one day, but that day seems to get further off.

As that in the passage from exodus shows, God and his son can, through holy spirit, empower anyone to do anything which fits within his will and suits his purposes.

And that includes surviving completely uninjured the complete wreck the car which left the road at about 60 miles an hour, rolled side over side and span end to end over a 6 foot hedge and between two trees in the telegraph pole to land upside down on a stone wall.

When the world from the bungalow opposite came rushing out and saw me climbing out of the wreck through tailgate of the car, which I could only exit because it could had flown open in midflight and spread its cargo all over the field, she ran back to her bungalow screaming.

The farmer whose garden wall I landed on, was much calmer. Apparently, as he saw my car come flying over the hedge. He simply put down his cup of tea picked up the phone and dialled for the ambulance.

Apparently, he had been working in his garden, a few feet away from where my car landed and had just gone in to make that cup of tea, they were standing in the window examining his handiwork drinking tea when the accident happened.

Actually, to say I was completely uninjured is a touch of hyperbole. When the ambulance arrived. The ambulancemen found me sat on the wall chatting to the farmer swinging my legs backwards and forwards and drinking a cup of tea he had brought me. The one ambulance man looked almost in disgust at the tiny little cut on my forehead caused by a bit of flying glass, having already looked at the state of the car, quickly dabbed my head with addressing to clean off the blood, what little there was, said "you live" and walked off back to his ambulance. Probably the shortest call he had been on in years.

There was not a panel on the car, apart from the tailgate, that was not seriously dented, and I had to crawl out of the open tailgate squeezing myself between the roof and the seats because there was nowhere else to go.

Yes, I've seen more than my fair share of miracles in my life.

It doesn't matter what time period you are in. If you are, in truth, doing God's work. He will give you holy spirit.

I could became many more examples of the protection of, or guidance of holy spirit, but you would have to experience them to believe them.

Incidentally, I do not style the words you see on the screen, the way you see them. That is down to the speech to text program.. I am now using to save my arthritic fingers. That is also why the occasional typographical horror, such as "professional" when it should have been "provision of" slips through my proofreading.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:10:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Claiming that God did something or wants you to do something is the easiest thing in the world to do.

But get this, we can never check with God himself when some guy makes a claim concerning God, we just, you know have to take their word for it.

Nah, I don't think I am just going to take their word for it, that it includes you Corn, it also includes the writings of men whether today or a few thousand years ago, I encourage others to do the same.

Got a problem with that ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 8:23:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/26/2013 7:10:30 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Claiming that God did something or wants you to do something is the easiest thing in the world to do.

But get this, we can never check with God himself when some guy makes a claim concerning God, we just, you know have to take their word for it.

Nah, I don't think I am just going to take their word for it, that it includes you Corn, it also includes the writings of men whether today or a few thousand years ago, I encourage others to do the same.

Got a problem with that ?

I wouldn't want anyone to just take my word for it, as you rightly say it's very easy for someone to just say it, and many do who have no right to.

However, God's word gives you the means to check out anything I, or anyone else says. God's word has proved reliable historically, and prophetically.

That makes it a reliable yardstick to measure what would teaches by.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 8:28:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/26/2013 8:23:11 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/26/2013 7:10:30 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Claiming that God did something or wants you to do something is the easiest thing in the world to do.

But get this, we can never check with God himself when some guy makes a claim concerning God, we just, you know have to take their word for it.

Nah, I don't think I am just going to take their word for it, that it includes you Corn, it also includes the writings of men whether today or a few thousand years ago, I encourage others to do the same.

Got a problem with that ?

I wouldn't want anyone to just take my word for it, as you rightly say it's very easy for someone to just say it, and many do who have no right to.

However, God's word gives you the means to check out anything I, or anyone else says. God's word has proved reliable historically, and prophetically.

What ever you refer to as "Gods word" are still claims made by men. Even if they or others claim the words they speak are a communication from a deity, it doesn't count for jack, because as I said before and it seems you agree too..."Claiming that God did something or wants you to do something is the easiest thing in the world to do."


That makes it a reliable yardstick to measure what would teaches by.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12