Jump to topic:

Weltschmerz

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 8:06:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state of the world with an ideal state"

I recently learn't a new word, but more importantly I couldn't help but think about how weltschmerz is used (and maybe abused) by religion.

Religion can take advantage of this dillemma by claiming that you can have an ideal state......as long as you do and not do certain things. Of course they will claim that what they tell you what to do and not do is as good as coming from God himself.....but of course, they would say that now wouldn't they ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:17:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think it is healthy for all ideologies to claim they know the way to an Ideal state for humanity.

Whether it be religious, Political or philosophical ideologies.

The thing is , we do know, that things could be better, is it just in our minds ?! certainly not. for applying different politics does lead to different results and states.

At the same time we know we may not attain this ideal state (except through divine guidance) because of our wicked nature. But there is hope to attain it again in the time of Jesus peace be upon him.